Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Pretty sure I had a Metal Detector drop from the first Nymph I killed on this char/world.

I'd know for sure if any of the drat skeletons I was genociding down in the Dungeon would drop a Tally Counter :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the metal detector has a 100% drop rate on expert so that’s not particularly weird

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think it's 50% on normal, the issue is more with finding nymphs in the first place.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

One of my biggest wishes for Terraria would be for the Lifeform Analyzer to hint at what direction the detected creature is in, or at least how close you are. Whenever I use it I just end up going in the wrong direction and the creature just despawns, which can get enormously frustrating.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

One of my biggest wishes for Terraria would be for the Lifeform Analyzer to hint at what direction the detected creature is in, or at least how close you are. Whenever I use it I just end up going in the wrong direction and the creature just despawns, which can get enormously frustrating.

I have just the mod for you, friend:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2748908734

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh hell yes, this one's gonna be essential for me

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Have any major content mods besides Calamity updated to 1.4 yet?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Zereth posted:

I think it's 50% on normal, the issue is more with finding nymphs in the first place.

Ah... For some reason I had it in my head that it was a 1/50 or 1/100 drop; I have memories of trying to farm one the first time I made a Cellphone and it taking a very long time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ah... For some reason I had it in my head that it was a 1/50 or 1/100 drop; I have memories of trying to farm one the first time I made a Cellphone and it taking a very long time.
Oh, it can take a long time. It's nymphs that are rare, so you don't get many chances TO drop it, and if you're in normal mode it's a coinflip each time so quite possible to, say, spend hours finding a total of four and get zero.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
For those starved for Terraria content, one of the QA dudes is releasing videos of content spoilers from 1.4.4

Here's a really nifty building item that covers a major gap in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbw3aMNibuE

There will be some additional videos in the coming week, prior to the actual release.

Getting very excited to start a new world and farm the Cell Phone all over again!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I just started replaying this after a long, long break. I didn't realize a new update was bound out soon. Are games cross version compatible? I'm hoping if I just keep playing I'm not going to miss out on much beyond maybe some minor world gen stuff, and I can basically just keep my current game into 1.4.4?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fintilgin posted:

I just started replaying this after a long, long break. I didn't realize a new update was bound out soon. Are games cross version compatible? I'm hoping if I just keep playing I'm not going to miss out on much beyond maybe some minor world gen stuff, and I can basically just keep my current game into 1.4.4?

iirc your world and character should carry forward just fine but anything new that is added during worldgen (like chest contents) will obviously not be in that world and you’ll need to generate a new one post-update for that stuff.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

DarkLich posted:

For those starved for Terraria content, one of the QA dudes is releasing videos of content spoilers from 1.4.4

Here's a really nifty building item that covers a major gap in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbw3aMNibuE

There will be some additional videos in the coming week, prior to the actual release.

Getting very excited to start a new world and farm the Cell Phone all over again!

I've never been huge into decorating, but this looks like it's going to be really fantastic to play around with.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

DarkLich posted:

That was weird hearing my name, since I've never watched this guy's channel before.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You know come to think of it, this could be used by mod creators to reduce the amount of purely decorative items filling up "so what can I make with this item" searches. Either add it to that item, or make a version of it for their mod's stuff, or whatever.

... I wonder if you can re-use to the code to like, make it so a furniture set is done in one item instead of the normal way. Still have them work as beds, etc, you just make a "Weird Modium Ore Furniture Placer" instead of having individual recipes for the bed, candelabra, etc. :thunk:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Update on September 28!

Hopefully they'll post the patch notes soon

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's out!

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-labor-of-love-is-out-now.114357

watho
Aug 2, 2013

lots of really cool changes but shoutout to

quote:

Lost Girl
- Instead of their spawn rate decreasing in Hardmode, it stays the same the entire game. This means that their Hardmode spawn rate has changed from 1/200 to 1/80
- Base money drop value reduced from 5 to 2 Gold

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I wish their merch store had kid sizes :/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

- You can now stack Guide Voodoo Dolls! But . . . with great stacking comes great responsibility. Throwing a stack of more than one into lava may have unwanted consequences.

lol

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I want there to be one of those huge content expansion mods that has a whole new tier after Moon Lord where to start it you need to sacrifice a 99 stack of voodoo dolls.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Terraria FTW

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Please I'm at work someone test the multiple voodoo guide dolls thing for me... toss a stack into the lava and report back.

Does it just summon WoF for every guide doll?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

boxen posted:

Please I'm at work someone test the multiple voodoo guide dolls thing for me... toss a stack into the lava and report back.

Does it just summon WoF for every guide doll?

It only summons one WoF but kills ALL of your NPCs

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Augus posted:

It only summons one WoF but kills ALL of your NPCs

lol unexpected

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So today I learned something that solved a problem that I've had for absolutely ages. The world I prefer to play in dates back before they added the underground desert, as of such there was no way to get a Golfer and by extention, the Princess. At first I tried to use 'ecto mist' to make the backround walls to make the biome artificially, but apparently that doesn't work as these walls are considered "safe" and do nothing. For a while this is where the story concluded, but just now I learned that if you convert these "safe" walls using a clementator to one of it's counterparts (in this case, the Hallowed) it becomes like it's regular self again and it counts as an underground desert biome, using this I was able to get a golfer and by extension the princess (because the Golfer was the last one I needed).

Now in order to do this I needed to import underground desert blocks from another world that I had generated, but it still works so whatever.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

quote:

- Wire in the Temple cannot be cut by the player until Golem is defeated
- The player cannot see wires within the Temple until Golem is defeated
Oh dear. Golem fight gonna be much harder now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can still break the pressure plates, right? Just need to be observant rather than just holding something that lets you see wires.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

don’t you need the picksaw to break them?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

don’t you need the picksaw to break them?
Not the pressure plates.

... For now.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

quote:

- Added Fart Kart

At last, the game is truly complete.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I had some ideas for what the new liquid might be but liquified Annihilation shimmer was not one of them.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The accessibility autofire option is literally the best thing they've ever added. Can't believe it took them 10 years.

Been trying out the Don't Dig Up seed for starting in hell and it's pretty cool! They rebalanced the entire game so you can start down there and dig your way up to the surface, kinda excited to see what kind of hellscape the sun is shining over.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I guess Don't Dig Up will not have any hellavators.

.....all hail the mighty noperope.

PS, it took me almost until I reached the jungle to find any explosives at all. Speedrunners are going to cry on this mode.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I managed to find bombs in pots in cave biomes and a weird surface underground biome?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

The accessibility autofire option is literally the best thing they've ever added. Can't believe it took them 10 years.
Where is this option?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zereth posted:

Where is this option?

In the General Settings menu (aka the setting menu that opens by default) in the bottom right corner. Should be the last option under the Gameplay column.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Tombot posted:

So today I learned something that solved a problem that I've had for absolutely ages. The world I prefer to play in dates back before they added the underground desert, as of such there was no way to get a Golfer and by extention, the Princess. At first I tried to use 'ecto mist' to make the backround walls to make the biome artificially, but apparently that doesn't work as these walls are considered "safe" and do nothing. For a while this is where the story concluded, but just now I learned that if you convert these "safe" walls using a clementator to one of it's counterparts (in this case, the Hallowed) it becomes like it's regular self again and it counts as an underground desert biome, using this I was able to get a golfer and by extension the princess (because the Golfer was the last one I needed).

Now in order to do this I needed to import underground desert blocks from another world that I had generated, but it still works so whatever.

The Shimmer also purportedly allows you to transmute unsafe/"natural" versions of background walls for the underground desert, plus the lihzard temple and dungeon. Wouldn't be shocked if there was more, either.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does the Don't Dig Up seed do anything differently once you trigger hardmode? Any twists there? I've gotten to the surface but I'm having trouble finding some things due to the changed layout, like blinkroot, and I'm considering stopping if there's nothing else new going on. I probably shouldn't have made it a medium world.

I don't wanna know what it is if there is anything, just if there's something.

Evil Kit posted:

In the General Settings menu (aka the setting menu that opens by default) in the bottom right corner. Should be the last option under the Gameplay column.
Awesome thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Turns out the Everything world seed inherits Expert mode from the For The Worthy seed, and this overrides journey mode difficulty. That was quite the surprise, let me tell you.