Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Peoples' lives have value and doing it as a self-indulgent riff is just doing it to make you feel good at the expense of others. People in this thread have had to post about losing loved ones. I would ask you to be better than right-wingers smugging about some libs they triggered.
I've been trying to work out what it is that's different about the way Ash posts and I think this hits the nail on the head. We're all negative about the UK. We all bleakpost about it. Most of our posts since Truss became PM have been variants of "We're all going to freeze / starve / get nuked this winter."

But there's a communality and cameraderie to most of the people posting in here, a shared experience. Ash seems to delight in only ever posting when things are at their worst, and posting in a way that sneers at the UK not as a participant in the downfall, but as a smug onlooker jeering down on us from the outside.

The difference I guess is the difference between "God our country's terrible and things are getting worse" and going "Haha, your country's terrible and I'm happy it's getting worse."

If my input counts for anything then personally it's a no to a threadban, but as her posting currently stands, definitely a pro ignore.

E: dog

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've been trying to work out what it is that's different about the way Ash posts and I think this hits the nail on the head. We're all negative about the UK. We all bleakpost about it. Most of our posts since Truss became PM have been variants of "We're all going to freeze / starve / get nuked this winter."

But there's a communality and cameraderie to most of the people posting in here, a shared experience. Ash seems to delight in only ever posting when things are at their worst, and posting in a way that sneers at the UK not as a participant in the downfall, but as a smug onlooker jeering down on us from the outside.

The difference I guess is the difference between "God our country's terrible and things are getting worse" and going "Haha, your country's terrible and I'm happy it's getting worse."

If my input counts for anything then personally it's a no to a threadban, but as her posting currently stands, definitely a pro ignore.

Would you say everyone else doing the same thing is fine because their behavior identifies them as belonging to the community, and Ash's doesn't?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Would you say everyone else doing the same thing is fine because their behavior identifies them as belonging to the community, and Ash's doesn't?
I'd say, as I did in that post, that there's a difference between shared comisseration, and pointing and laughing. Don't be a dick and try to twist it into something it's not.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: dog

Ash is a member of the country too though. Is he not allowed to point and laugh? We're all enduring the same shite.

Like I think he's an unfunny dick and should stop posting, but I'll tell you as someone from Northern Ireland that I'm also rooting for the downfall of the UK because I want a united Ireland and this is how it happens. I'd rather nobody have to freeze to death for that to happen, but me pointing out that the UK loving up monumentally for over a decade straight lead to things like foodbanks becoming taken for granted (remember when they weren't?), people having to steal firewood to heat their homes and the realistic chance of a chunk of the population losing their homes because of yet another historic, unchecked economic fuckup didn't cause that.

We're all fed up with it. Some of us just want it to end differently.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'd say, as I did in that post, that there's a difference between shared comisseration, and pointing and laughing. Don't be a dick and try to twist it into something it's not.

The difference comes down to your interpretation of her intentions.

You're telling on yourself more than you're telling us anything about Ash and her fairly inoffensive offensive posting.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Imagine that the country is a person, who the rich and powerful slowly drain of blood like vampires, slowly enough that they can still live and somehow argue that actually it's just the way of things.

Liz Truss walked up to that person on day one and knifed them in the stomach, then said "there, lots of lovely blood for all my vampire buddies!" and gave everyone a big, vacuous grin like this was perfectly normal and fine, no notes needed.

Even the vampires have some basic sanity; slowly gouging the poor is evil but somewhat sustainable, Liz Truss just crippled the entire country immediately without understanding that there's supposed to be some sort of balance and kayfabe to all this. She's dangerously stupid to a speed and extent that has blindsided everyone.

I have nothing to add, but brilliant metaphor

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HopperUK posted:

Hello! I suffer from this as part of my raging ADHD. I don't think it gives you free reign to be a dickhead to people

I also have RSD and somehow manage to not be a raging arsehole :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

The difference comes down to your interpretation of her intentions.

You're telling on yourself more than you're telling us anything about Ash and her fairly inoffensive offensive posting.

All communication depends on other people's interpretation of your intentions lol. If everyone you talk to is convinced you're being a dick on purpose and says so frequently, it's on you to behave differently.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dabir posted:

All communication depends on other people's interpretation of your intentions lol. If everyone you talk to is convinced you're being a dick on purpose and says so frequently, it's on you to behave differently.
Counterpoint: Given that this thread is notoriously the most easily trolled thread on the forum, the problem might actually be everyone else.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As always, the only thing more tedious than a bad poster is everyone talking about a bad poster. Even ********* only surpassed 'massive tool' when the whole thread became about them. Whether it's trolling or just someone who's unable to not respond to comments about themselves, it gets old fast.

On the poll front, Tory MPs basically have a decision to make. Either they take action quickly to get rid of Truss, and hope that whoever takes over can drag things back a bit, or they hope desperately that when the next General Election rolls around, either Truss has managed to enact full dictator mode, or they've got a really cushy job lined up somewhere.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Bellmaker posted:

I'm not surprised the folks setting up Paddington Bear and marmalade sandwich shrines across the country for the queen are upset by this. There's only room for one bear in their hearts :rolleyes:
I have news for them
https://twitter.com/Kegluneq1103/status/1575483875618234368?t=QRr7Z4OD8vwOZ4Qkd0RdQA&s=19

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Ash whatever you intention is when you post, everything I have had the misfortune to read from you makes you come across as a deeply unpleasant, callous, frankly cruel person who just enjoys posting things to be indiscriminately unpleasant to everyone who reads them. I don't know if that is what you are going for or whether you are just doing some sort of post-ironic bit that is very funny to somebody with a wildly different reference frame to me, but that is the impression you have consistently given me and that is why you are on ignore. I don't, frankly, think you give the slightest poo poo about anybody else who posts in the thread and I struggle to tell you apart from some sort of weird 4chan reject. I don't imagine I am alone in that appraisal either.

If you don't like that then you can post differently but this weird victimization schtick whenever you are faced with criticism of the things you post is tiresome and I don't think it is going to change anybody's mind.

See the bolded bit. This post puts things much, much better than I could, thanks Owlie

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I don't want anyone to suffer, be they english, irish scottish or welsh

This country has been lurching from one disaster to another, a fair amount of which has been entirely self inflicted

I get tired of having to constantly look the other way as England constantly shits itself and at this point the only way for the other countries in the uk to survive without falling down into the hole that's been dug is to straight up leave the uk

If England could be feasibly saved without endangering the other constituent parts of the uk then I'd support it, but that isn't the case and i guarantee you that the majority of us outside of England, english or otherwise, just want this self inflicted nightmare, by a party that is in power primarily due to england and those that live in it, to loving end

Having to pretend we're all in this together, when the majority of us outside England are being dragged along for the ride is galling and it's not like this hasn't been pointed out by more articulate, diplomatic posters and straight up dismissed as being somehow insensitive

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 30, 2022

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Do you think England is a monolith or something?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Chucat posted:

All her posting demonstrates an enormous, resounding 'yes'

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Chucat posted:

No, in every election everyone else not living in England has to hold their breath and pray England doesn't vote in a government that'll make us all worse off

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

All her posting demonstrates an enormous, resounding 'yes'

Does England consistently vote in Conservative governments or not? The answer is yes and until it stops happening what else am i supposed to think about it? It needs to be split up, but thst isn't going to happen until it's been reduced to a rump state of just England

Any proposal to weaken the strength of England in terms of it's overwhelming influence on the direction the uk will go is going to be fiercely resisted and rejected by both parties

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nilbop posted:

Ash is a member of the country too though. Is he not allowed to point and laugh? We're all enduring the same shite.

Like I think he's an unfunny dick and should stop posting, but I'll tell you as someone from Northern Ireland that I'm also rooting for the downfall of the UK because I want a united Ireland and this is how it happens. I'd rather nobody have to freeze to death for that to happen, but me pointing out that the UK loving up monumentally for over a decade straight lead to things like foodbanks becoming taken for granted (remember when they weren't?), people having to steal firewood to heat their homes and the realistic chance of a chunk of the population losing their homes because of yet another historic, unchecked economic fuckup didn't cause that.

We're all fed up with it. Some of us just want it to end differently.

She/her, btw.

I don't think Ash should be threadbanned as long the Ash Discourse stops soon because frankly they're an infrequent poster and have never kicked up this much fuss before even if I think their posts are bad, mean spirited, and trigerring for other people for no reason.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

No, in every election everyone else not living in England has to hold their breath and pray England doesn't vote in a government that'll make us all worse off

Do you think every person in England votes Tory? Do you think that constituencies who don't return Tory MPs or non-Tory voters just do not exist, or that they deserve everything bad that happens to them?

Also/Edit: Are all the Tory voters in Wales/Scotland totally cool because they're outnumbered by non-Tory voters.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Chucat posted:

Do you think every person in England votes Tory? Do you think that constituencies who don't return Tory MPs or non-Tory voters just do not exist, or that they deserve everything bad that happens to them?

No, but people in literally every other part of the uk are suffering as a direct result of what England continues to support.

People are going to lose their houses, their homes, their jobs, their livelihoods and lives, all over this and it was utterly preventable

England isn't going to change, giving it one more chance to make things right when we're about to plummet of this cliff is going go backfire and hard

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Fictional Place A has an election: Right Wing Nazis get 49% of the vote. Centrist Melts get 51% of the vote.

This is completely fine.

Fictional Place B has an election: Right Wing Nazis get 30% of the vote. Centrist Melts get 29% of the vote. Luxury Space Communism Party gets 29% of the vote. Comedy Party that wants to mandate everyone getting Seasons 1-2 of the Wire on Betamax gets 12% of the vote.

This place must be sunk into the sea and their children must be purged from the earth.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
No to thread ban on Ash, even if she is spiteful and mean spirited most of the time. We all have our foibles. endlessmonotony on the other hand, the poster who best lives up to their name, I could do without. I do love the most easily trolled thread thing. It’s almost like when someone comes in and acts like a dickhead, people will respond accordingly.

You can’t just come into a community, group some of them in with the worst of their people for no good reason when they’re suffering because of the shits too, and expect to be taken seriously. It’s infantile and really pretty shite and reactionary to do so particularly when plenty of us are genuinely worried for our futures. Scottish people aren’t the only ones capable of suffering.

Anyway what’s everyone doing this weekend. I’m going on a date with a sexy man then going on a big walk up Snowdon

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Also as poo poo as the Tories are, they're not actually Nazis quite yet.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Chucat posted:

Fictional Place A has an election: Right Wing Nazis get 49% of the vote. Centrist Melts get 51% of the vote.

This is completely fine.

Fictional Place B has an election: Right Wing Nazis get 30% of the vote. Centrist Melts get 29% of the vote. Luxury Space Communism Party gets 29% of the vote. Comedy Party that wants to mandate everyone getting Seasons 1-2 of the Wire on Betamax gets 12% of the vote.

This place must be sunk into the sea and their children must be purged from the earth.

I would rather not suffer as a direct result of England's inability to not return increasingly Right wing governments.

And i guarantee you if you asked anyone else, especially those struggling to make ends meet in the rest of the uk, they'd agree that compassion and sympathy for the cause of their problems is far from their minds.

The time of solidarity with England is done, this is an existential threat to the rest of us, we're on the edge and even you must recognise how galling it is to be continuously expected to endure what we must, in the hopes that England will, this time, not endanger the rest of our lives

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jakabite posted:

No to thread ban on Ash, even if she is spiteful and mean spirited most of the time. We all have our foibles. endlessmonotony on the other hand, the poster who best lives up to their name, I could do without. I do love the most easily trolled thread thing. It’s almost like when someone comes in and acts like a dickhead, people will respond accordingly.

You can’t just come into a community, group some of them in with the worst of their people for no good reason when they’re suffering because of the shits too, and expect to be taken seriously. It’s infantile and really pretty shite and reactionary to do so particularly when plenty of us are genuinely worried for our futures. Scottish people aren’t the only ones capable of suffering.

Anyway what’s everyone doing this weekend. I’m going on a date with a sexy man then going on a big walk up Snowdon

Any attempt to weaken the power England holds over the rest of us is going to be fought by the English whose voices will always be prominent, we both know this

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

to be fair to Ash Crimson, everyone knows that all the peoples of England are psychically bound to the Synaptic Imperative of the singular Hive Mind

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

kecske posted:

to be fair to Ash Crimson, everyone knows that all the peoples of England are psychically bound to the Synaptic Imperative of the singular Hive Mind

To be fair this exists in all countries, its just that scottish and welsh hive minds have been disrupted by the "temporary" removal of our national autonomy

The second either goes independent you'll absolutely see a "consensus" or hive mind successfully formed and controlling the populace by way of kfc crisp smells

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jakabite posted:

Anyway what’s everyone doing this weekend

I'm going to London to see some pro wrestling :hellyeah:

Chucat posted:

Comedy Party that wants to mandate everyone getting Seasons 1-2 of the Wire on Betamax

Nobody told me this was an option!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jakabite posted:

Trying to get into london via rail to see the Jurrassic World expadition with the lad.

This was booked months ago, and was fine until Lizzy karked it and they moved the rail strike. trains are running, but I'm worried about actually getting on them!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm gonna build the other half of the door to my shed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Getting people en masse to "just not reply" to a specific poster has never worked in my experience.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does Ash ever blame the 55% Scottish residents who voted no or is that still the fault of England?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jedit posted:

I hadn't tried the new ones yet. I assumed they were just the old ones without the KFC branding. If they changed the flavour then gently caress those guys, the KFC ones were drat good.

Yeah, totally different. The KFC ones were 90% black pepper, the new ones are a sort of sweet fruity chicken flavour.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Does Ash ever blame the 55% Scottish residents who voted no or is that still the fault of England?

Of course i do

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphex- posted:

Perfidious English that have crossed the border

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
No true Scotsman would have voted no.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphex- posted:

Voting No was the correct decision in 2014. Scotland was under threat of a UK veto on EU accession, and as we've seen from the later actions of the racist spite golems who voted Leave, the usual argument of "the EU will offer a deal to make them change their mind" could not be relied on. Cast adrift from both the UK and the EU, independent Scotland could not have done well.

Now, though, the situation differs. Scotland is not faced with a choice of being in both the UK and the EU or neither of them; the choice is being in the UK or the EU. And that's not a choice - the EU is simply the better option, even if only because if the SNP fucks the country you'll have the option to live somewhere else.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Relevant to the current topic being a blast of turds into national waters

https://twitter.com/SouthernWater/status/1575417699211132929

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

Getting people en masse to "just not reply" to a specific poster has never worked in my experience.
Yeah and it’s a bit strange because we managed to get the thread to stop posting Tweetman and Glinner, the two concepts don’t seem that different.

Don’t post tweets from the Extremely Bad Tweeters list (you know who they are)
Don’t engage with posts from the Extremely Bad Posters list (you know who they are)

Anyway, I’m having a flying lesson this weekend so I’m nervously looking forward to that :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Has Ash ever made a post in here, over these many years, that was anything more worthwhile than 'all English people are bad'?