Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's called a fool's paradise because only fools believe in neoliberalism.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
fuckit catte taxxe

kitster has just looked at his vanguard portfolio

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Only Kindness posted:

Not really, I expect the world to be an unfair hell where you can trust nobody, not even yourself, and where nothing gets better and there's no help coming. Seems to allow me to prepare for what's coming. As much as I can as someone too disabled to work anyway. :shrug:

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

Going from a fool's paradise to a gangsta's paradise.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

endlessmonotony posted:

Not really, I expect the world to be an unfair hell where you can trust nobody, not even yourself, and where nothing gets better and there's no help coming. Seems to allow me to prepare for what's coming. As much as I can as someone too disabled to work anyway. :shrug:

just cos you expect to be cheated doesn't mean you're not being cheated

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

sinky posted:

They are doing more austerity because there are still some institutions it didn't destroy. They've got 2 years to get what's left.

that's just not very good public stewardship, at least imo. destroying social institutions - and then very likely having to build them up from nothing at a later stage - is considerably harder and more expensive than keeping them alive by alloting appropriate resources on a long-term and reliable basis.

quote:

I think it is important that we look at a state which is extremely large, and look at how we can make sure that it is in full alignment with a lower tax economy.

it's weird how the tories' pitch is always 'we want to make things worse for almost everyone' and voters either don't get that they're part of that almost everyone, or they figure that they can take it as long as it means someone else gets worse hosed than them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well they just won't do the building them up from nothing at a later stage part I think. That's the plan at least, also any other future government that tries to do that, they can loudly heckle from the sidelines if they do try.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

it's weird how the tories' pitch is always 'we want to make things worse for almost everyone' and voters either don't get that they're part of that almost everyone, or they figure that they can take it as long as it means someone else gets worse hosed than them.

And then the news like today is filled with people who've just left establishment roles so don't mind going on the record, or MPs not too close to power, or supposedly shocked Tory voters saying "I can't believe the politicians would do this, it's not right" but somehow never saying "Oh, this is what I have supported/enabled/voted for (and will do again)". It's such an enraging arrogance and blindness that Tory voters seem to have, where even things that now affect them that they have actively supported and voted for, are somehow someone else's fault. See also: the entire media class.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
We are all in this together

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

just cos you expect to be cheated doesn't mean you're not being cheated

i'm sure that's cheered him up, and he was already in such a good mood

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A friend linked me this unfiltered rant in the MEN, anyone know what's going on here?

quote:

A former member of Stockport Momentum, Coun Wynne now describes himself as a ‘cult survivor’ and believes he is being ‘purged at any cost’ as ‘retribution’. He also accuses Mr Mishra of being busy ‘setting up the conditions for a toytown revolution in Stockport, the next step being control of the Stockport Labour group of councillors’.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/explosive-claims-mp-behind-hard-25130867

A moderate councillor getting unspeakably mad at not being selected is nothing new, but it seems to have the backing of the party bureaucracy and former Corbyn guy Nav Mishra is a Starmer whip.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Look at these two Rockafellers who can afford kettles and thermos.
FOOLS

ooooo link?
Was thinking of just getting something similar.

Here you go: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283287387502

seems to retain a lot of heat if you wear it underneath regular clothes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1576181578572652544

Edit. I guess you can tell it’s time up for the Tories when even the loving Mail is running stories outing them as selfish, greedy, cruel fuckers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11259343/Council-free-school-meals-expenses.html

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 1, 2022

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

a world where all tory MPs have their balls chopped off would be infinitely safer for men, women and children everywhere

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
People are going to riot over this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe in redistribution so all of the balls should be taxed and then distributed evenly among the MP population.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ash Crimson posted:

People are going to riot over this

Good. We need a good old fashioned riot. Bloody kids these days with their Xboxes and flat screen TVs have forgotten how to do it

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Good. We need a good old fashioned riot. Bloody kids these days with their Xboxes and flat screen TVs have forgotten how to do it

People are going to suffer and you say this, you say this to me?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

fuckit catte taxxe

kitster has just looked at his vanguard portfolio

That's a cool cat... and i really need to open a Vanguard account, sucks to be indecisive about money. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a point doing investment isas if you're not loaded? I assumed you just wouldn't get anything out of it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a point doing investment isas if you're not loaded? I assumed you just wouldn't get anything out of it.

Sorry, not loaded but i was thinking 14 years down the line as it's doing bugger all in my account atm. :blush:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just booked myself a holiday for the end of the month.
As Just Another Lurker said - the money's not doing any good in my bank with inflation this loving high.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'm sure that's cheered him up, and he was already in such a good mood

My mood has been pretty good all day, what are you talking about.

It's a lot harder for all this to get you down when you aren't trying to convince yourself things aren't going to poo poo. I can focus on the things I want to do instead of getting angry about things I can't fix.

Also not "him".

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

peanut- posted:

So they’re putting the full-on austerity message out to the press now

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1576089975900307456

this is worrying because the sadistic ideas that were discussed on the fringes of the party before leaving the EU distracted them from brutalising the poor, these wackadoos are mad enough to make them policy

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

yes, yes you are

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
fine the under- and unemployed!!!!!!

yes and ho

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

this is worrying because the sadistic ideas that were discussed on the fringes of the party before leaving the EU distracted them from brutalising the poor, these wackadoos are mad enough to make them policy

I wish I could find the clip of some ERG fucker smiling while talking about replacing the Humans Right Court and getting rid of jury trials during the brexit referendum.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyway here's something nice https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63073449

quote:

Coolio in Castlederg: 'People thought it was all a hoax'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It relies on everyone raised on Thatcherite individualism thinking "well it'll never hit me" and then by the time it does, all of the other people thinking it'll never hit them rally round to come up with reasons why its the victims fault, and coming up with completely derranged things they could have done differently, like living off porridge.

tldr: It's prions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not necessarily prions, but transmitted exactly like a prion disease.

Never would have voted for the conservatives eating people's brainstems party if I thought...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It relies on everyone raised on Thatcherite individualism thinking "well it'll never hit me" and then by the time it does, all of the other people thinking it'll never hit them rally round to come up with reasons why its the victims fault, and coming up with completely derranged things they could have done differently, like living off porridge.

tldr: It's prions.

I'd have thought it was spite and resentment, that's a hell of a drug. individualism is mostly placebo really

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's still a lot to sell off.

We have the 8 'freeport' zones that are going to be sold off to random 'global companies'. We still have MOD and HMP real estate that can be sold and released back or redeveloped. There's a huge chunk of the NHS to sell off too. There's still a load of equity tied up in private pensions and real estate that need to be grabbed before they are forced out of power. etc etc etc

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 1, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sell 10 Downing Street to Alisher Usmanov imo

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

I can only hope the streets become too unsafe for tories to walk them soon.

They already are wink wink

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

They already are wink wink

What are you trying to say

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

radmonger posted:

I assume the edited version of Sandman’s duel with Lucifer (from ep4 of the Netflix series) has already been created by someone, so I don’t have to bother.
i gave it a shot

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Angepain posted:

i gave it a shot

Amazing. I wish I couldn't relate to this as much as I currently do.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ash Crimson posted:

What are you trying to say

Years of tory neglect and austerity have left the footpaths very uneven and unsafe

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

OwlFancier posted:

There's a UK Finance thread for more advice but yes. Investing in stocks and shares ISAs and buying the market with the lowest fees possible is a good place to put money if you have it. It's a long term investment that will definitely fluctuate (mine has gone down by a few % this year) so best to invest and forget about it until retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

the ISA is only as good as the allowance goes though, if you suddenly make a mil on the markets it doesn't really matter. Personally I'd rather not have my monies in any locked in contracts with banks at the moment because *spoiler* they're going to trade it away and then tell you that you can't have it back or limit you to £50 withdrawals a month or something stupid because Banks are a cancer.