Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

and thank you to everyone that participated as well

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Does anyone play Mythras around here?

It was one of the first systems I ran way back when it was Runequest 6 about a decade ago. I remember they had just started their Mythic Earth line with Mythic Britannia and it boggled my mind that they wanted to release an entire sourcebook about Mythic Constantinople. This is a d100 system, in case anyone has never heard of it before. If anyone isn't sure what to run for their fantasy homebrew that they don't wish to constrain with Vancian magic systems, or because they're going for a different fantasy vibe than DnD easily provides, I recommend it!

I've been running 5e for awhile now and I'm starting to chafe for the crunchier, but also far more interesting combat and magic systems from Mythras. Back in the day the magic systems were so intimidating to me as a new GM that I pretty much just used it to run a very low fantasy quasi-realistic game and it was excellent. My players don't have that much experience with ttrpgs / video game logic and are mostly just nerds, and they chafe a bit at the class structure and arbitrary restrictions of DnD, so I'm thinking of running a oneshot soon to gauge their interest in a campaign further down the line.

I specifically remember having to homebrew a couple things to make my game run with the flavor I liked, so just thought I'd see if any goons play with Mythras and what kind of house rules they use.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I've never heard of Mythras before, but I'm already interested. Maybe it would make for an interesting write-up in the FATAL & Friends thread?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I hadn't browsed that thread before! I'm currently reading a copy of the update to Mythras (I was still using a pdf from back when the game was Runequest 6 and I think the rebrand was in 2016) and I'll try my hand at a review afterwards!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PurpleXVI posted:

I've never heard of Mythras before, but I'm already interested. Maybe it would make for an interesting write-up in the FATAL & Friends thread?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I've had Mythras for a long time but never managed to find a group willing to play it. It's basically polished Runequest (like version 6.5ish); probably the best crunchy system for Bronze Age roleplaying out there currently.

They did a version of Classic Fantasy for it, too, so it'll do "D&D style" stuff but I honestly think that's a poor fit.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

It'll work for me to refresh the rules and mechanics of the game, so I went ahead and started a write-up for it

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
For a game like Cyberpunk Edgerunners, should I do Cyberpunk Red, 2020, or something like Neon City Overdrive?
People seem meh on Red, to think 2020 is too old, but I don't know if Neon City Overdrive can do it 100% with how light it is. That said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hiro Protagonist posted:

For a game like Cyberpunk Edgerunners, should I do Cyberpunk Red, 2020, or something like Neon City Overdrive?
People seem meh on Red, to think 2020 is too old, but I don't know if Neon City Overdrive can do it 100% with how light it is. That said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

People are pretty positive on RED. I'd use it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's not quite out yet but the Mork Borg spinoff Cy Borg might be a good choice once it does

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
there's also CBR+PNK, which is a forged in the dark. aimed primarily at one shots though. the old edition is currently free, and they're currently working on a new edition (kickstarted a while back). i can't actually speak to how it plays - i just remember it because i liked the look of the kickstarter :shobon:

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

redleader posted:

there's also CBR+PNK, which is a forged in the dark. aimed primarily at one shots though. the old edition is currently free, and they're currently working on a new edition (kickstarted a while back). i can't actually speak to how it plays - i just remember it because i liked the look of the kickstarter :shobon:

It plays well as long as you like minimalist pamphlet-style rules, which I do.

I think The Sprawl is also decent — PbtA, doesn’t do anything very inventive or new with the space but it’s a perfectly good framework for mission-oriented cyberpunk.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The number of cyberpunk games that have come out in the past 5-10 years is an embarrassment of riches, really. After you've figured out how rules-light or heavy you want the game to be, there's bound to be a handful of good options. Some of them aren't even PBTA games!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What does "a game like Edgerunners" mean? Why does being rules-light mean that Neon City Overdrive can't do "it?" Both of these are completely meaningless in a vacuum.

RED is basically just another revision of 2020 v2.0 that streamlines some more stuff, it's perfectly serviceable for what it is if you're not expecting fiction-first or rules-light.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Thanlis posted:

I think The Sprawl is also decent — PbtA, doesn’t do anything very inventive or new with the space but it’s a perfectly good framework for mission-oriented cyberpunk.

The Sprawl isn't that great, imo. Mostly because it's a very early PBTA hack and it lets your bonuses to rolls grow too big and too fast for the core mechanics to handle.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Lemon-Lime posted:

What does "a game like Edgerunners" mean? Why does being rules-light mean that Neon City Overdrive can't do "it?" Both of these are completely meaningless in a vacuum.

RED is basically just another revision of 2020 v2.0 that streamlines some more stuff, it's perfectly serviceable for what it is if you're not expecting fiction-first or rules-light.
Edgerunners being the recent anime made by Studio Trigger on Netflix based on the Cyberpunk setting by Mike Pondsmith and the recent Cyberpunk 2077 video game. Things I would focus on include powerful cybernetics which differentiate characters, low life, punk atmosphere, and over the top action that goes into wild territories. Characters can die, but generally will in interesting or important times and ways.

Okay, so Red is very realistic, not really that anime if you go RAW, and wouldn't work with the anime aesthetic IMO. I'm fine being proven wrong.

Because of that, I was thinking something rule-light might work, but Neon City Overdrive doesn't have the tech or gadget rules to bring the different cyber mods and how they differentiate the characters from the anime into the an RPG setting.

Talking to others on discord, Hard Wired Island might work, I hadn't thought of that because it lacks the grime of Edgerunners at initial blush, but I think the systems may be a closer match, while still being anime as gently caress.

Edit: that said, I was just curious what system other people would use for running a game with a similar style to Edgerunners.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 30, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't really untangle whether Cyberpunk is "too realistic for an anime aesthetic." But yeah HWI might be what you're looking for. It's hard to strike a balance between a system where cyberware is interesting, customizable, and part of the fun of character building, without the overall system being too complex, fiddly, and badly-balanced. HWI does that pretty well in my opinion.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Things I would focus on include powerful cybernetics which differentiate characters, low life, punk atmosphere, and over the top action that goes into wild territories. Characters can die, but generally will in interesting or important times and ways.

Okay, so Red is very realistic, not really that anime if you go RAW, and wouldn't work with the anime aesthetic IMO. I'm fine being proven wrong.

Because of that, I was thinking something rule-light might work, but Neon City Overdrive doesn't have the tech or gadget rules to bring the different cyber mods and how they differentiate the characters from the anime into the an RPG setting.

Talking to others on discord, Hard Wired Island might work, I hadn't thought of that because it lacks the grime of Edgerunners at initial blush, but I think the systems may be a closer match, while still being anime as gently caress.

Edit: that said, I was just curious what system other people would use for running a game with a similar style to Edgerunners.

What does having detailed, rules-heavy mechanics for how two slightly different types of cyber arms work bring to your game?

What does "anime as gently caress" actually mean mechanically? Not talking in terms of the aesthetics of whatever art is on the book's cover.

RED would probably be too rules-heavy and grounded for what you seem to have in mind. HWI would be a bad choice for a game where everyone is a cybered-to-the-gills psycho for hire because it's not what it's about as a game.

Why would Neon City Overdrive not be a good fit? Characters being pretty much just a collection of tags is perfect if you want a rules-light, kinetic approach to things and you want players to be able to freely define their cybernetics, skills and appearance and get to be cool and powerful.

Side note: NCO literally has rules for all the crew's implants.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 30, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like RED would do the job well, with the big difference being the netrunning as there seems to have been a big tech jump between the 2040s of RED and the 2070 of the anime and video game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
AITA for screwing over my husband’s D&D character?

quote:

My husband and I play dungeons and dragons with a friend group of ours, about 9 people altogether. Our party was doing a 3-session campaign and finished up last night.

My character has a patron fey (someone who I signed a pact with to get my powers) and my husband’s character is a ranger who has beef with the fey.

During our first session, my husband declared that it was his character’s life mission to kill every fey he came into contact with, including my patron.

Last night, we came to the end of our quest and realized we had been working to save my patron from a prison the entire campaign without realizing it. We beat the final big baddie and my patron offered to grant us each a wish as thanks for freeing her and saving her realm.

Everyone else in the party started wishing for some very grand things and my husband leaned back with a smug expression, saying he would wish last. He had reiterated his desire to kill my patron when we found out we were working to save her so I knew his wish would be something along those lines. Thus, when my turn came I used my wish to banish him to a different realm, thus keeping him from making a wish.

He didn’t speak to me the rest of the night and never came to bed. He called me the next day when I was out running errands and announced he was no longer angry with me. I picked u lunch for him on my way home and was excited to go back to normal.

As we started to eat he said that he expected an apology for the previous night. Startled, I told him I wasn’t going to apologize for something my (lawful evil) character did to his in the middle of a fantasy game.

He snapped and started cussing me out, saying I didn’t know poo poo about anything and he deserved an apology. I told him I could apologize, but my character might do something equally as lovely in the future because that’s her alignment and the apology wouldn’t then be genuine.

After being cussed out some more I made to leave and he asked why I was leaving. I asked him if he thought how he spoke to me was warranted or appropriate and he said yes, so he wouldn’t be apologizing either.

AITA? I’m genuinely confused on whether I am in the wrong here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You need to talk to a marriage counselor and talk to each other like adults rather than post online about it but in the meantime you should stop playing D&D with 9 people at the table per session because that is tortuously boring.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Seems like Fey exposure has rendered them both mad. The sentence is death.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splicer posted:

lol die mad bro wife pulled one of the funnier things you can do in a dnd game

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Unironically one of the better virtues of limited span campaigns (inc and esp one shots) is that it's just funny when the PCs backstab each other over their weird idiosyncratic desires, as opposed to y'know actually being a screw job.

If your character's open motivation is to ruin the plans of another PC, it's just good gameplay when they bite back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's funny when one of those "I'm being a shithead because it's what my character would do" guys gets a taste of their own medicine

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sorry it's 2022 and I simply cannot abide anyone who earnestly references their alignment to justify anything.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Ah, one of those AITAs where the answer is "YBTA."

EDIT: And not for the reason posed in the original question.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulip posted:

Unironically one of the better virtues of limited span campaigns (inc and esp one shots) is that it's just funny when the PCs backstab each other over their weird idiosyncratic desires, as opposed to y'know actually being a screw job.

If your character's open motivation is to ruin the plans of another PC, it's just good gameplay when they bite back.
I love oneshots/2 to 6 session games/con games because I don't feel like I need to do things like keep my character alive or care about long-term (in game) consequences. Just do what feels right in the here and now (within reason obviously).

Countblanc posted:

Sorry it's 2022 and I simply cannot abide anyone who earnestly references their alignment to justify anything.
Yeah that was the twist that made me think it was worth posting.

Also it somehow didn't register with me that this wasn't just some random powerful fae they were sent to rescue, it was her actual patron. No "lawful evil alignment" bullshit justification needed to banish a guy who was actively planning to murder the source of her heroing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 1, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

^ exactly yeah

I had a one shot of DitV where me and the other player got totally derailed from the injustice in town and killed each other in a duel. It was loving great.

Countblanc posted:

They're also doing 9 player DnD so like, I'd consider their metgame fundamentals incredibly weak. Doing 3 session campaigns displays an opposing tendency towards experimentation, so y'know one step forward two steps back.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I swore off large groups after running Tomb of Annihilation for 6, I can't imagine dealing with 9

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

9 person D&D, or "when combat hits the amount of turns I take per hour is somewhere between 0 or 2".

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

Also it somehow didn't register with me that this wasn't just some random powerful fae they were sent to rescue, it was her actual patron. No "lawful evil alignment" bullshit justification needed to banish a guy who was actively planning to murder the source of her heroing.

And that they thought that asking an archfay to grant a wish to kill itself would have any result other than “uh, no?” (Unless there’s some weird kind of mystic promise thing going on, I suppose)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hostile V posted:

9 person D&D, or "when combat hits the amount of turns I take per hour is somewhere between 0 or 2".

I'm imagining people trying to pull this when 4e came out for their massive 3.5e groups who didn't even know what a grid was and making the Chopper meme face

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What if it was an exactly 9 player game so that each player could be a different alignment and it was a big social experiment?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ferrinus posted:

What if it was an exactly 9 player game so that each player could be a different alignment and it was a big social experiment?

Is the experiment to see when the first real-world fistfight happens or…?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is the experiment to see when the first real-world fistfight happens or…?

After the game you ask an impartial observer if they can figure out even one player's alignment from that character's in-game dialogue and actions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Flashbacks to the gorgon fight in the alignment chapter of the AD&D2E Player's Handbook.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ferrinus posted:

After the game you ask an impartial observer if they can figure out even one player's alignment from that character's in-game dialogue and actions.

O so you just can write down “failure across the board” and pocket the grant money.

Clever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Splicer posted:

Def not the rear end in a top hat but drat there are a ton of other ways to approach talking about it that don't start with "well my alignment means I can't apologize because it wouldn't be genuine" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

hyphz posted:

And that they thought that asking an archfay to grant a wish to kill itself would have any result other than “uh, no?” (Unless there’s some weird kind of mystic promise thing going on, I suppose)

Yeah, this is what takes it into "everyone sucks here" territory for me. (Although obviously cussing out his girlfriend makes the guy a bigger rear end in a top hat.)

A campaign-ending wish is a big character moment and stepping on another player's moment on purpose is the kind of mean pointless PvP bullshit that ruins games. If we credit her theory about what he was going to do, her actions look less pointlessly mean and more like clever counterplay. The problem is her theory is stupid. Maybe the boyfriend is not only an rear end in a top hat but also an idiot and had such a stupid plan on mind, but I'm not going to just assume that. Maybe he had a really fun idea. The only in-game action we know he took was to ask to go last so that any disruptive effects of his wish would not step on the other characters' moments, which shows some consideration for fellow players.

Again, cussing her out makes him a huge rear end in a top hat.