Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

If you made it that far with Sherlock, you might as well just watch the last episode, it’s kind of impressive and hilarious in how chaotically bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Toby Jones is great in it, but I can't say that is a good episode... the whole Sherlock predicting people's precise movements weeks in advance while also going through a breakdown or whatever was so dumb.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Intelligence, in the right hack's hands, is indistinguishable from magic apparently

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
What else is there for a writer after he’s won an award for most gratuitous use of the word “Belgium” in a Doctor Who minisode? Can’t wait for his next show where you won’t believe what he’s done with the phrase “An album cover.”

Just because you’re capable of being really clever doesn’t mean you always are.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Narsham posted:

Just because you’re capable of being really clever doesn’t mean you always are.

I think it was Hbomberguy's video on Sherlock (which is also partially a video on Jekyll) that soured me on Moffat once and for all. I recommend everyone give it a watch if you haven't already.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New Doctor Who this month, I assume.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, probably.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

New Doctor Who and also a NEW Doctor Who too!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:ohdear:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1576165041333747712

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's lost a lot of weight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still got that Tom twinkle in his eye though :shobon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And yet THAT VOICE still comes out of that body.

Truly larger than life.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

You know what I would really like for the new series? The loving middle eight back. Doesn't have to be in the opening, but at least have it for the credits. Please.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In all seriousness, more than anything else I'm looking forward to a revamped Console Room. For all the other faults Chibnall's run had, the production design was pretty drat good which made the utterly unappealing, dark and unremarkable console room stand out even worse than it might have. Especially after Capaldi's console room was so loving great, especially when it incorporated in the bookshelves.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The one time Doctor Who subverts the "I don't like it" gag and it was for that godawful mess. :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
they'd better bring back the round things.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Peter Capaldi 100% agrees, the Chumblies should make an appearance

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Still can't believe we're getting new doctor who this month.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It feels like we barely know Thirteen; it's been five years since she showed up and p o o f, she's gone :sigh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

In all seriousness, more than anything else I'm looking forward to a revamped Console Room. For all the other faults Chibnall's run had, the production design was pretty drat good which made the utterly unappealing, dark and unremarkable console room stand out even worse than it might have. Especially after Capaldi's console room was so loving great, especially when it incorporated in the bookshelves.

I never had any sense of proportion to where things were in relation to other things. There were half hanging walls of clear hexagons somewhere, and a stepped section like a store display where they could awkwardly sit, and then the console with its fingers. I did notice we never saw the fingers do the rise and fall thing again after that one time, because it looked so pony.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Redo Eight's console now that the show has a budget that's larger than whatever they could find in the rubbish bin behind the studio

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Put the St John's sticker back on the TARDIS door :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

It feels like we barely know Thirteen; it's been five years since she showed up and p o o f, she's gone :sigh:

Wish she had better stories.
Wish Chibnall didn't gently caress with the lore so goddamn much.

Wish Village of Angels wasn't tied into the Fluxx nonsense so I could hold it up as A Good Standalone 13 Episode

Same feeling I had when Smith + Moffat took over, and I had wished that Tennant had gotten a full season under his belt with Moffat at the helm.
Whittaker + RTD would have been a dumb fun season at least. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Put the St John's sticker back on the TARDIS door :argh:

I think St John’s asked them to remove it, but I can’t find anything corroborating that.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Wish she had better stories.
Wish Chibnall didn't gently caress with the lore so goddamn much.

I don't think there's many people that see Chibnall in a positive light, are there? There was a lot of knee-jerk reaction to criticism of him, as far as I recall, but maybe things have gotten even worse.

There's a lot of poo poo lore that has to be undone here. It's a real shame that Jodie Whittaker had been saddled with a showrunner that had twice the ambition for lore-fuckery but only half the talent of Moffat (the half that writes poo poo episodes and not the half that writes the good ones).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It doubly sucks, cause Broadchurch was such a well written series - particularly the 1st season.
Chibnall definitely has writing chops, but I guess it just didn't translate well to serial sci-fi? :shrug:

I just feel bad for Whittaker.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Infinitum posted:

It doubly sucks, cause Broadchurch was such a well written series - particularly the 1st season.
Chibnall definitely has writing chops, but I guess it just didn't translate well to serial sci-fi? :shrug:

I was going to say that he might be really struggling to write for a non-adult audience, but... uhm, he didn't do so hot on Torchwood either, did he?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I was going to say that he might be really struggling to write for a non-adult audience, but... uhm, he didn't do so hot on Torchwood either, did he?

ALIEN SEX GAS :byodood:

I really hope Jodie gets a Big Finish renaissance and stories she deserves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wonder if she'll be back for the 60th, given it's so soon after her finishing up. I just want her to get a chance to act in a non-Chibnall run story!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if she'll be back for the 60th, given it's so soon after her finishing up. I just want her to get a chance to act in a non-Chibnall run story!
I'm trying as hard as I can to hope this into existence.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crapilicious posted:

There's a lot of poo poo lore that has to be undone here.

The best solution to lovely lore is to just ignore it. Often trying to "fix" lore makes for a lovely story. So just walk away and try to tell good stories.

Whittaker got a raw deal. Fortunately, at this point we all know that the problem is not her and there is a chance for redemption for her Doctor.

Edit: Watching an episode right now and how the gently caress is there a species that there's only ever two of and they're found on three planets. I don't look for good science in Doctor Who, but maybe elementary school math shouldn't be a problem.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 2, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The 50th was so good. I hope the 60th is as good.
I hope all the new era Doctors are brought back for it.

As much as I, deservedly, poo poo on the Timeless Child retcon horseshit, I reckon a John Hurt + Jo Martin Doctor team up would have been delightful :unsmith:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Is there a way to keep Jo Martin's Doctor, but ditch the Timeless Child?

I have to admit when they had their first chat and neither could remember the other, I was assuming it had to be an alternate timeline. So I was a bit disappointed that the explanation wasn't about how there could be two Doctors, but just simple amnesia. (And then the wondering about why a pre-Hartnell Tardis looked like a police box and a non-functional chameleon circuit)

(I did also wonder if the Timeless Child was just a super-nerd's attempt to canon-justify the Morbius Doctors)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Coward posted:

I have to admit when they had their first chat and neither could remember the other, I was assuming it had to be an alternate timeline. So I was a bit disappointed that the explanation wasn't about how there could be two Doctors, but just simple amnesia. (And then the wondering about why a pre-Hartnell Tardis looked like a police box and a non-functional chameleon circuit)

(I did also wonder if the Timeless Child was just a super-nerd's attempt to canon-justify the Morbius Doctors)

The Doctor Who: Origins comics with the Fugitive Doctor's a lot of fun - she gets sent after rogue Time Lords and corrupt Gallifreyans, and everything's not quite as it seems within the Division

Well-worth a read

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Coward posted:

Fit her between 2 and 3, extended Season 6b. We never directly see Troughton turn into Pertwee. The Two Doctors implies the Time Lords were sending 2 on missions anyway.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jo being introduced as 14 randomly during the middle of 13's run would have been an absolutely insane power move.

But yeah 100% with you on Keep Jo, Ditch Timeless Child.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
There's no reason Jo Martin's Doctor can't be a future regeneration that doesn't remember (parts of) her past, either. Maybe whatever fuckery with memory watches/editing the Matrix necessary to undo the Master's Timeless Child deception (because this is what it is, right?) ends up making her lose that bit.

Among other things, it would get us around the thing I can't get over (and I assume there was some lovely explanation for this?) - if she's supposed to be a pre-Hartnell incarnation, why in the gently caress is her TARDIS shaped like a police box?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I really hope Jodie gets a Big Finish renaissance and stories she deserves.

It's all we can hope for, that someone will salvage her legacy someday.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Coward posted:

Rose Tylers alternate universe.
When she gets trapped there, she seeks out the Doctor of that parallel universe, who has totally different regenerations due to dying in different situations. That Doc manages to get into 13s universe but doesn't realise it.
Hence why 13 couldn't see anything that matched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still holding out hope that she's a 6B "lost" regeneration between Troughton and Pertwee, yeah. They have HD footage of the 3rd Doctor falling out of the TARDIS in Spearhead from Space, it'll work, IT CAN WORK! :byodame:

Infinitum posted:

But yeah 100% with you on Keep Jo, Ditch Timeless Child.

:hai: