Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
In other news, the BMA is going to be ballotting for industrial action in January :ohno:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is nice to see

https://twitter.com/Daily_Record/status/1576485888963616770

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

In other news, the BMA is going to be ballotting for industrial action in January :ohno:

we’ve got to the point where strikes of healthcare professionals probably won’t look any different to nhs businesses as usual, just without elective surgery

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

we’ve got to the point where strikes of healthcare professionals probably won’t look any different to nhs businesses as usual, just without elective surgery

It's worse than that since the BMA is like the Keith Sturmer Labour Party of unions.

I bet they've announced this just to collect more subscription fees from fools who think they'll actually do something.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Steve Wright did his last Radio 2 show on Friday, that and Coolio basically amounts to a level of sorrow a lot of people felt for the queen, i should get a day off imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i got a wee bit sad in the car, i had to fan my eyes to stop from crying :kiddo:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(when safely stopped w/ handbrake on at traffic lights ofc)

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Expelling all your enemies from the Tory party in this situation sounds like a great way to lose your majority and be painted as marginalised by your own actions; like it sounds like an unbelievably stupid thing to do. Am I missing something?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Z the IVth posted:

It's worse than that since the BMA is like the Keith Sturmer Labour Party of unions.

I bet they've announced this just to collect more subscription fees from fools who think they'll actually do something.

They locked themselves in to striking for some pretty wild demands at the last conference and they've been working with other unions to coordinate an early 2023 NHS-wide walkout since.

Maybe they'll flake or get dealt with by the govt somehow but iirc they want 30% pay rise and funding in all areas to be restored to pre 2012 levels, so they might be serious

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Suella Braverman has said she's going to rewrite the slavery laws to prevent Albanian boat people from coming to the UK... just as we're going to be rewriting human rights so we can attack the <cough> immigrants <cough>... nothing of this will affect YOU!... honest...

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I gotta say, for someone who survived in three PM’s cabinets and rose to the top of the party/country, I’m impressed by how bad Truss appears to be at politics.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

Steve Wright did his last Radio 2 show on Friday, that and Coolio basically amounts to a level of sorrow a lot of people felt for the queen, i should get a day off imo

Coolio did so much for this country, for all of us. He was always in the spotlight and he never backed down from his duty.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
tereezer managed to hold onto the Home Office for over six years but the skills that enabled her to do so didn't transfer to the role of PM, in which she was as effective as a shithouse made entirely from poo poo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1576567134817112064

:toot:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

I gotta say, for someone who survived in three PM’s cabinets and rose to the top of the party/country, I’m impressed by how bad Truss appears to be at politics.

When I was obsessed with the Roman Emperors I got the sense that there were some people who didn’t really get that your power is always constrained by the possibility of losing it, and that this was still true even if you are supposed to be the person in charge of everything. This feels extremely true here

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

This is glorious. I hope he gets that everywhere he goes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

Turns out the UK isn't actually a meritocracy. Who knew?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

vegetables posted:

When I was obsessed with the Roman Emperors I got the sense that there were some people who didn’t really get that your power is always constrained by the possibility of losing it, and that this was still true even if you are supposed to be the person in charge of everything. This feels extremely true here

Augustus was just way ahead of his time. For example the way he would let people have their lovely little protests where they speak out against him, as a pressure valve.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

a shithouse made entirely from poo poo
Its full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

vegetables posted:

Cuntinatus returning to his oval office farm.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

killerwhat posted:

This is glorious. I hope he gets that everywhere he goes

Oooh, there's a Director's Cut

https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/status/1576546736914341891

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Before there was modern office of prime minister, the lord high treasurer held the same role. At least Edward Seymour, the King's uncle, was beheaded. His brother shot the King's dog.

Ehhh not really, no. Hell, monarchs in the 18th century were a lot more directly involved in the day to day of politics, the Prime Minister then really was a Minister not the head of government. As the name suggests, ''Lord High Treasurer' maps more closely onto the modern role of the Chancellor of the Exchequer for most of the period. Unlike now, the monarch always had the option of firing them at their leisure and taking direct control if they wished to.

Lord Protector, like Seymour, is a whole other thing, if Charles were 8 and not in his 60s we'd probably have something of the sort now. That's virtual-king so is the head of government.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 2, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is the first political thing I’ve smiled about in ages. We need more of this. Prepare the lampposts

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Just thinking out loud here, but are all politicians not subjected to that sort of all of the time? In a country of 60 odd million, I'd have thought that they'd be pretty much protestors who hate your gut at every single event you ever go to.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1576578748823982080

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/1576579298680459266

:toot:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Time to split every large corporation into a series of 500 person fronts.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Interested in their definition of "business regulations" because this sounds uhhhh :whitewater:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

KittenCaboodle posted:

Interested in their definition of "business regulations" because this sounds uhhhh :whitewater:

I'm sure you can imagine it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm the dude who faceplants at 01:14

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I hope people are starting to realise their 'plan'. Redefining human rights and slavery laws. Cutting 'red tape' (aka rights and protections), Freeport tax zones.... We've already lost our right to protest any of this poo poo.

In a nutshell, George Orwell was an optimist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to set up a private limited company and just do crimes.

In my official capacity as a director of course.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

fuctifino posted:

I hope people are starting to realise their 'plan'. Redefining human rights and slavery laws. Cutting 'red tape' (aka rights and protections), Freeport tax zones.... We've already lost our right to protest any of this poo poo.

In a nutshell, George Orwell was an optimist.

A rapist, a snitch, a plagiarist, and a racist walk into a bar.

The bartender asks “How’s the new book coming Mr. Orwell?”

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1576479767947116544?s=46&t=B4dHeTLpCfiQzNmUiAWStw

Interesting test of just how much spine any prospective Tory rebels have - especially if this cuts them out of any future leadership contest.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/StewartWood/status/1576485494283649024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Going to set up a private limited company and just do crimes.

In my official capacity as a director of course.
500 member gang seems pretty decent for most towns.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Interesting test of just how much spine any prospective Tory rebels have - especially if this cuts them out of any future leadership contest.

If they've given the whip back to actual rapists, can't imagine there'd be anything stopping them giving it back to Gove et al if they wanted to get involved in a future government.

AceClown posted:

I'm the dude who faceplants at 01:14

Split between this and the girl at 00:46 going in for a second pop at a copper with the air horn

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm the dapper guy in the suit with the superiority complex.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bustin keaton posted:

If they've given the whip back to actual rapists, can't imagine there'd be anything stopping them giving it back to Gove et al if they wanted to get involved in a future government.

Split between this and the girl at 00:46 going in for a second pop at a copper with the air horn

The question, though, is which 'them' would re-invite the rebels after an ideological purge this major. Truss and Kwarteng will be going for some really stringent tests of loyalty to cripple or drive out their internal opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

As someone who's worked for multiple small business tyrants; oh lord no, sweet jesus no