Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So what do you think is Iliana Gamor out there somewhere living out her days as a Bajoran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I choose to believe Kira really is a Cardassia

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's Cardassienne

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Voyager really becomes Seven of Nine show in season 4. There's like 5 back to back episodes dealing with Seven of Nine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hollismason posted:

Voyager really becomes Seven of Nine show in season 4. There's like 5 back to back episodes dealing with Seven of Nine.

This does tend to happen whenever a new character is jammed into an established show. It’s partly just the writers having someone new to write episodes around but I’m guessing it was also 1) them realizing Seven was far more interesting than any of the losers they’d been stuck with for the past four seasons and 2) them realizing Jeri Ryan could actually act circles around everyone other than Picardo and maybe Mulgrew.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Plus, y'know, it probably helped when Jeri Ryan started dating a producer.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Season 6 steps it back so much that VOY becomes no one's show. The main cast, even Janeway, are sidelined for seemingly half of S6 in favor of one-off guest characters and the obnoxious Borg Children. I'd take five S4s before what we got in S6.

Also, at least most of the Seven of Nine episodes are good, with one glaring exception (I'm looking at you, "Retrospect"). VOY would be even more unwatchable than it is already without her.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, Seven was a legitimately good decision despite being brought on for all the wrong reasons. It's the same as Jolene Blalock managing to make T'Pol a decent character despite the showrunners just absolutely making GBS threads all over her.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does EU explain how the Vulcans and Romulans split apart?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pretty sure it’s regular canon that during Surak’s time when there was a civil war between his followers and other Vulcans, the Romulans ended up being the losers who were exiled from Vulcan

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Vulcans wanted to forge the katra with the clarity of logic and complete dedication to dispassion and peace and Romulans wanted to do like a hopscotch psychic maze deal? based religion that still permitted "being normal" and killing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It comes up in the Vulcan arc in Enterprise S4. Basically it was an era of apocalyptic nuclear war which Surak helped end by becoming a martyr for radical pacifism, and the proto-Romulans (“those who marched beneath the raptor’s wings”) were among the exiled (or maybe self-exiled) losers in this conflict.

If you want an earlier, alternate take you can check out Diane Duane’s books. “Spock’s World” and “The Romulan Way” both deal with the subject but she wrote a few more Romulan themed stories. She has them as kind of splinter group from Surak’s idealists whose attitude is just that it’s better to gently caress off and start somewhere new iirc, and most of the backstabbing and evilness starts up after they initially leave Vulcan.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

skasion posted:

It comes up in the Vulcan arc in Enterprise S4. Basically it was an era of apocalyptic nuclear war which Surak helped end by becoming a martyr for radical pacifism, and the proto-Romulans (“those who marched beneath the raptor’s wings”) were among the exiled (or maybe self-exiled) losers in this conflict.

If you want an earlier, alternate take you can check out Diane Duane’s books. “Spock’s World” and “The Romulan Way” both deal with the subject but she wrote a few more Romulan themed stories. She has them as kind of splinter group from Surak’s idealists whose attitude is just that it’s better to gently caress off and start somewhere new iirc, and most of the backstabbing and evilness starts up after they initially leave Vulcan.

Of course funny thing about the Duane novels is that her versions of Klingons and Romulans are essentially reversed from the eventual TNG era versions of both. Duane's Romulans have named houses that command their loyalty first and foremost and they care greatly about personal and house honor. Her Klingons (to the degree that Klingons show up at all, which isn't much) are the sneaky stab you in the back types. Which, to be fair, does match the TOS versions of both fairly well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How many episodes did they end up squeezing out of "Lwaxana gets horny"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jng2058 posted:

Of course funny thing about the Duane novels is that her versions of Klingons and Romulans are essentially reversed from the eventual TNG era versions of both. Duane's Romulans have named houses that command their loyalty first and foremost and they care greatly about personal and house honor. Her Klingons (to the degree that Klingons show up at all, which isn't much) are the sneaky stab you in the back types. Which, to be fair, does match the TOS versions of both fairly well.

John M. Ford's Klingons were like this, and I kinda wish TNG had used them.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, Seven was a legitimately good decision despite being brought on for all the wrong reasons. It's the same as Jolene Blalock managing to make T'Pol a decent character despite the showrunners just absolutely making GBS threads all over her.

A sad part about Blalock is that from what I heard, she was a massive Star Trek nerd, maybe David Tennant/Peter Capaldi Doctor Who level (though that could be an exaggeration) prior to taking the role, and she just got done dirty. Probably left a sour taste in her mouth, which is is a shame because she should totally come back for Strange New Worlds.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
A Night in Sickbay wasn't as bad as I was expecting given the reputation. Kind of enjoyed it honestly, except for the horny bits in the middle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Voyager and got to Mortal Coil where Neelix gets killed by protomatter and honestly its starting off good. Neelix dying and now their all like "poo poo nothing we can do".

edit:

Ah dammit Seven is like " I can bring him back". drat.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 2, 2022

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bullbar posted:

A Night in Sickbay wasn't as bad as I was expecting given the reputation. Kind of enjoyed it honestly, except for the horny bits in the middle.

I'm not sure how that reputation happened exactly. I think at the time coming off Voyager's last couple seasons people just had a tendency to turn on anything that was too goofy, expecting big serious idea episodes and important world building pieces and getting really mad when the show took a break from all that, even if the goofs were generally fine. It's basically the same outsized reputation Threshold got, just for a different genre of episode.

The actual worst is probably Precious Cargo, but even that is just a goofy romp that doesn't matter much.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kinda hard to be on Peter Capaldi's level of fan.

But it was always going to be unfortunate for Trek fans signing on to Enterprise, because that was kinda the Trek that purposefully set out to be as little Trekky as possible. Some leaked through, especially towards the end, but for the most part Enterprise was largely uninterested in exploring strange alien cultures, tried to focus on interpersonal drama and action instead of concepts, leaned much more heavily on the military angle, and purposefully tried to demonstrate that Earth and Vulcan don't have whatever kind of philosophical moral high ground the Federation does yet. It's a lot like the network decided they wanted to do Stargate.

I'm not sure I'd say the franchise as a whole is under better management now, but at the very least they're aware of what Trek is and has been and try to celebrate that instead of hiding from it.

skasion posted:

most of the backstabbing and evilness starts up after they initially leave Vulcan.

They're not evil, they're just mean drunks.

Although the true tragedy of the Romulans is that there's so much more foreshadowing and alluding to the trouble that they'll cause, but in practice they don't really do that much and then their planet blows up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One good thing about Enterprise is that the uniforms still had jumpsuit functionality, other show's unis do not look comfortable to work in space in

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Astroman posted:

A sad part about Blalock is that from what I heard, she was a massive Star Trek nerd, maybe David Tennant/Peter Capaldi Doctor Who level (though that could be an exaggeration) prior to taking the role, and she just got done dirty. Probably left a sour taste in her mouth, which is is a shame because she should totally come back for Strange New Worlds.

T'Pol should have been the one to adopt Michael, rather than Sarek.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

zoux posted:

One good thing about Enterprise is that the uniforms still had jumpsuit functionality, other show's unis do not look comfortable to work in space in

I'm obsessed with the away team uniforms they wear

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
sarek is just a weird rear end in a top hat with a human female fetish now

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
And Spock is an even bigger dick having yet another sibling he never mentioned ever

Technowolf posted:

T'Pol should have been the one to adopt Michael, rather than Sarek.

This makes so much sense it hurts. Especially after that ending she got losing her family.
And Michael's mom being in that Romulan society, too! That would have gone down easier if it were T'Pol

CrimsonAuthor fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 2, 2022

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Astroman posted:

Blalock committed the ultimate sin, publicly badmouthed the producers Berman and Braga for being the lazy hacks that they were, and got an instant reputation as a trouble on the set and liability with the studio executives.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bullbar posted:

I'm obsessed with the away team uniforms they wear

The desert versions were excellent. They should've gone to more desert planets, obviously

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

One of the many terrible things is that T'pol never got to wear the uniform, despite the handful of episodes she does, it's so much better than the horribly jumpsuit they made her wear, especially the s3/4 ones which are somehow worse than her s1/2 outfits.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is a cast photo for a show called DS9.

What does DS9 stand for?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

O’Brien made to suffer the indignity of double denim :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Docket Seventy-Nine, it’s a knockoff of Night Court.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

What does DS9 stand for?

I remember this show, Douglas Street 9, a show about a public library facing possible closure, and the employees and detractors fighting to keep it funded.

Good God Nana's legs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

What does DS9 stand for?

District Support 9, a nice light sitcom about the shenanigans of an administration dept of a Chicagoland suburb city council.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm into season 4 of my Voyager rewatch and I'm surprised to say this but... Scorpion is a better Borg show than Best of Both Worlds? That two-parter really was the best Voyager's been and I expect as good as it's going to get

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Arglebargle III posted:

What does DS9 stand for?

Dad back in the day used to call it Deep poo poo 9

Granted, he never watched past the early episodes until much, much later

And then later on the cast do get into some Deep poo poo, so maybe its warranted

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 2, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No Dignity posted:

I'm into season 4 of my Voyager rewatch and I'm surprised to say this but... Scorpion is a better Borg show than Best of Both Worlds? That two-parter really was the best Voyager's been and I expect as good as it's going to get

That two parter was excellent. Though I'm left wondering why the writers went with using a fox rather than a frog when Chakotay told the fable. I've only ever heard it as the scorpion and the frog. Never a fox. I don't even think foxes are well known for swimming.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

That two parter was excellent. Though I'm left wondering why the writers went with using a fox rather than a frog when Chakotay told the fable. I've only ever heard it as the scorpion and the frog. Never a fox. I don't even think foxes are well known for swimming.

Chakotay: you see, my people

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Foxes are extremely good swimmers

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?