Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
confirmation from Alexander Rostov and co:

https://mobile.twitter.com/artofrostov/status/1576539500012240897

the wording seems quite deliberate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
typical money-brain poo poo. people don't matter, i can just buy new ones. no reason to ever pay attention to them again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've killed the goose that lays the golden eggs *but* I can always buy more geese!!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Antonymous posted:

not if they signed non-competes which any savvy iinvestor would make them do lol

https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576182809731149824

e: oh this was posted already

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 2, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

King Carnivore posted:

It’s not so much that the people involved will never work again, it’s that there won’t be more of the same Disco Elysium world from the same people.

Obviously they’ll work again, probably even most of them together again on the same team. But will they be working on this again?

Ledgy posted:

I mean, how else do you interpret a member of the team doing an announcement that not only the artists working on the game dont work at their own company anymore, they decided 6 months later to dissolve their art society by actively claiming that they all ended up pitted against themselves? (In the article's comments)
Shits dire

Finding funding or not doesnt mean jack if the people behind the magic cant work together anymore
So which is it, they're obviously going to work together, or they're obviously not going to work together? Can you point to the part where it says they were all pitted against themselves? I don't see that anywhere, but may have missed it. The known facts are that a bunch of talented people lost their jobs at the company they founded, which sucks real bad. What happens for them in the future is anyone's guess and I hope they are all okay.

Incidentally, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference but as far as I can tell the TV show deal was not with Amazon, but a company called dj2 Productions who has a first-look deal with Amazon. That means that Amazon just has the right to put the show (if one ever materializes) on Prime Video if they want to, but if they don't want it then it could end up somewhere else. I don't think Amazon has any right to develop its own show or any creative input on what goes into the show.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Piss-a-bed this loving sucks.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I gotta say, all of this is extremely thematically resonant

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah. An artistic thing being hollowed out by corporate interests who think they can exploit it without understanding it, thereby ensuring its death - while the actual artists go on to carry on its legacy and ideas elsewhere - is pretty disco.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

losing the rights to the fictional setting that you were working on with your friends for the past 20 years to venture capitalists would suck so much

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Others have expressed this, but I really can’t think of anything more disco than how this all played out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

losing the rights to the fictional setting that you were working on with your friends for the past 20 years to venture capitalists would suck so much

This is the real tragedy tbh, Elysium was ZA/UM’s baby that they put an absurd amount of work into to sustain many stories over time and now they have to abandon it immediately and entirely. It’s like Kojima spending 7-8 years developing the Fox Engine, putting out two of the most impressively-engineered games in a long time, and then immediately getting kicked out and having to start from square one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sony or Microsoft should swoop in, hire them all with a blank cheque and buy the rights back from the venture capitalists, and give them back to them for PR win.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nurmie posted:

confirmation from Alexander Rostov and co:

https://mobile.twitter.com/artofrostov/status/1576539500012240897

the wording seems quite deliberate

Those must be some pretty powerful NDAs they had to sign.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
This is depressing.. capitalism wins again.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
SAVOIR FAIRE [Impossible: Success] I *told* you.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Megazver posted:

Those must be some pretty powerful NDAs they had to sign.

it seems to me that the rapport the game built and the causes it promoted didn't get entirely unnoticed by the investors

poo poo this game made by communists has some quite revolutionary themes how the gently caress do I get rid of them asap without fuss is the class warfare approach

edit: not to mention that being communists they would be demanding the rightfully theirs and acting upon those demands

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 2, 2022

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Volte posted:

So which is it, they're obviously going to work together, or they're obviously not going to work together? Can you point to the part where it says they were all pitted against themselves? I don't see that anywhere, but may have missed it. The known facts are that a bunch of talented people lost their jobs at the company they founded, which sucks real bad. What happens for them in the future is anyone's guess and I hope they are all okay.

Incidentally, I'm not sure it makes a huge difference but as far as I can tell the TV show deal was not with Amazon, but a company called dj2 Productions who has a first-look deal with Amazon. That means that Amazon just has the right to put the show (if one ever materializes) on Prime Video if they want to, but if they don't want it then it could end up somewhere else. I don't think Amazon has any right to develop its own show or any creative input on what goes into the show.

Yeah fair enough, though he does bring it up in the comments, plus, again, they're dissolving their artist clique over this

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ledgy posted:

Yeah fair enough, though he does bring it up in the comments, plus, again, they're dissolving their artist clique over this

he is talking about the investors stealing the IP/Studio from them

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

that's very clearly referring to the money-people though. can't have in-fighting with someone that was never in the in-group

i knew the Amazon news was a bad sign, bit it's at least mildly comforting to know the devs were likely just as dissappointed as many of us were

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ledgy posted:

how have you misinterpreted what he's saying this badly?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve been following along for the past half a dozen pages and looking on the internet for more clues, but I’m turning up nothing.

Where is the “gently caress capitalism” sentiment coming from? Do we know for sure that’s the cause of any of this? I mean, in general, gently caress capitalism, but I’m just curious if there’s a reason that’s the current narrative in this thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
agreed. it could also have been love that killed them

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve been following along for the past half a dozen pages and looking on the internet for more clues, but I’m turning up nothing.

Where is the “gently caress capitalism” sentiment coming from? Do we know for sure that’s the cause of any of this? I mean, in general, gently caress capitalism, but I’m just curious if there’s a reason that’s the current narrative in this thread.

Lol yeah you're right. Maybe this group of people working on a setting for 14 years and then a hit game where almost all of the people behind the game and setting left the company(fired) for undisclosed reasons just got tired of winning too much

The primary people behind the first game were ousted from the company against their will is what that said

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Genuinely very disheartening news. I'm in a bad mood now. drat.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

well the game has some pretty explicit takes about that and many of its players resonated with the message, besides a lot of identification with the openly declared politics of its authors. Then they get hosed by capitalism through a fraudulent investor

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

quote:

"The mask of humanity fall from capital. It has to take it off to kill everyone -- everything you love; all the hope and tenderness in the word. It has to take it off, just for one second. To do the deed."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

He's being about as clear as he can with the NDA
https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576281325535137793?s=20&t=Kzy_AE5abaRocJnWsmzH3Q

and on the bright side:
https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576470031055347712?s=20&t=Kzy_AE5abaRocJnWsmzH3Q
https://twitter.com/martinluiga/status/1576614286935236608?s=20&t=Kzy_AE5abaRocJnWsmzH3Q

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So what i'm getting from this is that there's still hope?

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

chaosapiant posted:

The original creators are being pushed out, at the sake of the Amazon TV show and getting the sequel game out in 2-3 years. What isn't "capitalism" about this? :frog:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

The original creators are being pushed out, at the sake of the Amazon TV show and getting the sequel game out in 2-3 years. What isn't "capitalism" about this? :frog:

Right...again....we don't know it's about the TV Show and we don't know both sides of the story. It is probably capitalism. But no one really knows what caused all of this. It may be as black and white as it seems, or it may be a series strategic gently caress-ups at both the dev and investor levels until this is what we're left with.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

chaosapiant posted:

But no one really knows what caused all of this.

Yes, however:

-Game wins many "Game of the Year" awards and mass raving
-Gets ported to ALL the platforms, where it still gets mass raving

*Amazon then enters the picture*
-Game gets a sequel announced
-Cue mass raving
-Game gets an Adaptation announcement
-Game devs work on QoL improvements (Dyslexia font and other stuff)
-Game devs are then pushed out at the end of the year with no news [until now] in the hopes of the Sequel being out or shown on time, in addition to the Amazon show showing up on time.

The timeline for the whole thing points toward Amazon and the "investors" (as shown in the tweets above) pushing the creators out because "you need to strike while the iron is hot" while misunderstanding why the title resonated with so many people.

(And I'm of the opinion that the Amazon show is probably never going to happen. If we can't get a Gibson Neuromancer adaptation from them but instead his Jackpot trilogy, we aren't ever getting Disco.)

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

It's a work of art that has investors, one of the most capitalist things that can possibly exist.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
To reiterate what I said earlier, as far as I can tell ZA/UM never had a deal with Amazon. They have a deal with a production company who themselves have a first-look deal with Amazon, which means the DE show would end up on Prime if Amazon wanted it to. Production companies having first-look deals with distributors is pretty standard as far as I know. But it doesn't mean Amazon is developing the show directly or paying the people at ZA/UM. (I could be wrong of course, but that's all that I could find online). I know it takes on a more poetic aura if it turns out the world's mega-richest light-bending guy descended from the heavens in his shipping container and vaporized the very concept of creativity into raw capitalist energy, but I suspect the truth is probably a more mundane, maybe even more damning, indictment of the capitalist status quo: that they got taken for a ride by predatory investors, out of naivete or desperation, and signed a bad deal.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Ah so it wasn't capitalism per se, it was just a system that alienated workers from their works, got it

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

agreed. it could also have been love that killed them

FIRED DEV - Capitalism killed me, but love did me in.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Calling it: if the core dev team does stick together instead of scattering into the four winds, the new company will be called Fortress Accident

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

SexyBlindfold posted:

Calling it: if the core dev team does stick together instead of scattering into the four winds, the new company will be called Fortress Accident

in dark times, should the stars also go out?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wealthy investors are attempting to takeover a product that someone else built. I dunno if there can be a bigger :capitalism: in the world.

Also, the team has been explicitly communist this entire time.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

12 rats tied together posted:

It's a work of art that has investors, one of the most capitalist things that can possibly exist.

I gave her 50 real. I felt good about it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

JBP posted:

Successful creatives are allowed to be somewhat difficult to work with

No, you just get replaced by someone easier to work with.

There's an especially cool variant of this where people in charge gently caress you over, then hire new people and let the new people (who have no idea why you're so cranky and difficult, they just wanna do their jobs and make the people in charge happy) decide you're too much trouble. It's like human laundering. Never directly touch the people you're loving over, never leave a clearly legible mark, let them kick up a fuss and let them be railroaded out the door for it. They own everything you did, they don't need you any more.

Or more concisely

moot the hopple posted:

Ah so it wasn't capitalism per se, it was just a system that alienated workers from their works, got it