Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The weakest part of the episode for me was the whole pilot switcheroo. I get the narrative reasoning for it but the whole thing felt rather clumsy in execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The weakest part of the episode for me was the whole pilot switcheroo. I get the narrative reasoning for it but the whole thing felt rather clumsy in execution.

The problem is it doesn't explain why Suletta isn't in Ariel and Miorine is. Yes Mio has the cell phone key, but shouldn't Suletta be in the hanger, oh I don't know, ready to launch?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mio took her PDA to give her directions, I assume she just gave her inaccurate ones.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

Mio took her PDA to give her directions, I assume she just gave her inaccurate ones.

That would mean she was planning to steal Ariel from before Guel even shows up for Suletta to challenge. Which admittedly seems to be the case, but then begs the question "why change your plan to run away and instead show up to the fight to get your rear end kicked?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Second, on the negative side, because the next episode preview is text over a reused background. Doing that for the first episode when there isn't an immediate hook for the next episode in the action of the main show suggests that they couldn't provide animation for episode 2 in time.

Text over a background is common these days for previews.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Warmachine posted:

That would mean she was planning to steal Ariel from before Guel even shows up for Suletta to challenge. Which admittedly seems to be the case, but then begs the question "why change your plan to run away and instead show up to the fight to get your rear end kicked?"

Pride.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't know anything about it but the book the dude is reading is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_as_Will_and_Representation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's like the Simpsons joke where Homer imagines life after robbing the Kwik-E mart.

Suletta agrees to a Duel, we have several minutes of buildup with the two suits and the battlefield getting prepped, then we see Mio in the cockpit and Suletta... is just watching everything happen and then being surprised when Mio appears. Like there was a scene missing to explain what Suletta was doing instead of making it look like she was just chilling waiting for the fight to start without doing any preparations.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 2, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Warmachine posted:

<yuri goggles on>She was impressed that Suletta stood up for her so she decided to not just screw her over by absconding in the Gundam. And I guess she's cocky enough to think she has a chance.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Not enough death imo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I like the paunchy spacesuits.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gripweed posted:

I like the paunchy spacesuits.

Lots of things tend to feel chubby cute in this show really. Lot of the mobile suits do too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam has never been that subtle but "this is the designated official shipping as decreed by martial law" has got to be one of the loudest megaphones they've pulled out yet.

Hope they do something with it. IBO's big romantic statement was that ethnical non monogamy is cool and good. Mio saying that homosexuality is normal on earth is also a good sign. Just hoping they actually explore that in a thoughtful manner and not a "we've got two lesbians in our anime, connect the dots."

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 2, 2022

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

doomisland posted:

Not enough death imo

Just you wait and see. It'll come.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arc Hammer posted:

Hope they do something with it. IBO's big romantic statement was that ethnical non monogamy is cool and good. Mio saying that homosexuality is normal on earth is also a good sign. Just hoping they actually explore that in a thoughtful manner and not a "we've got two lesbians in our anime, connect the dots."

Mio has never been to Earth she's a Spacian.

Also full video for the OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eytpBOkOFA

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Gundam has never been that subtle but "this is the designated official shipping as decreed by martial law" has got to be one of the loudest megaphones they've pulled out yet.

If we don't end up in a Hades-style polycule between Suletta, Miorine, and Shaddiq I'm gonna be disappointed. Also I think the designated ship is part-and-parcel to the Utena format. Which as a side note is incredibly bold to line things up like this, since they invite the obvious comparison and put themselves on a platform with another iconic show. Now they have to be both a good Gundam show and a good Utena homage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mio has never been to Earth she's a Spacian.

Ah okay. Well I'm still hoping that they treat same sex relationships with a level of decency in the show and not as an excuse for animators to work singlehandedly.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You got your Utena in my Gundam!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Everyone calling this Utena/Birdie Wing before it aired was on point and also its airing after Lycoris Recoil too

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

New thread title: The Witch From Merc-Yuri

:hmmyes:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I like this first episode so much that I'm going to try to stay away from all discussion of the show since I don't want my experience to get bogged down with pedantic analysis or behind-the-scenes tea leaves reading

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/anopocrypha/status/1576574904996364293?s=19

Good tanuki faces in this thread

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

She is cursed to a life of chaos due to her idiot blood.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't think that was ever the implication of IBO, though?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did everyone forget shino and yamagi

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
yohei azakami really knows how to play a certain type huh

(echoing the praise for episode 1!)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ughhhhhhh i gotta wait until after work to watch it :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

after decades of gundam for fujoshi, it is finally time for gundam for himejoshi

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You know I thought the people shipping Suletta and Miorine were mostly doing it (besides the usual fan reasons) because of the Fox and tanuki comparisons between the two, but now it seems like they were just ahead of the curve and maybe those comparisons were completely intentional for exactly that reason.

Relatedly, shouts out to proto-romantic tomato sharing.

Also, Suletta is very precious and I wish the best for her and her Gundam sister.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

You got your Utena in my Gundam!

I am totally down for Revolutionary Gundam Utena. This is an exciting turn of events.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah kinda funny that theres an actual tanuki & fox yuri show this season that i was tentatively interested in and then gundam of all things immediately showed up with a better version

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there's a short story on the official website that gives eri a tiny bit more backstory. im sure someone will translate it sometime but the gist is that eri's basically never been around kids her own age, just seen them on tv, hence how hilariously socially awkward she is

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is 'the battle of aerial-kun, who became the first gundam to protect yuri in history' too long to be the thread title

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jeturk House, more like Jerk House!

Heh. Gottem.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Did everyone forget shino and yamagi

Technically, this show isn't even the first Gundam to have a Gundam pilot in an arranged lesbian marriage.

Happened in one of the IBO manga first.

Anyway, I think I've mostly worked out why the duels here don't quite sit right with me. It basically feels like a tone clash.

Having a show where everything is decided by teenage robot fights is cool. Having a show where things are decided by shadowy corporate boardroom deals and assassinations is cool. Having both at once feels off, because there's not even Teiai style rigging as a default. Right in the first episode, the protagonist, pretty much by accident, throws massive plans into chaos, and it's not treated as a complete insane variable that this could happen without warning. The only surprise is that an outsider did it.

It basically feels too casual for the rest of the setting as presented. Just this one stupid rear end in a top hat said "Duels decide everything!" and everyone else apparently nodded and accepted it, which weirdly feels less realistic than G Gundam's formal duel period, rampant cheating, and history of people taking the ball and going home whenever it seemed like the format was going too far against them, all in a show that has, at minimum, a more 'realistic' aesthetic.

Maybe next episode will show something that makes it click for me, but right now it feels like the show is caught between two different approaches that don't fit with each other.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So bets on Rival pilot that's going to pose on their Gundam like Akio did on his car in Utena?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shadiqq definitely

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Technowolf posted:

Jeturk House, more like Jerk House!

Heh. Gottem.

You were beaten a while back.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jeturk House?

More like Jerk House! :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It’s not like random kids are going to win important duels. Al the important kids have powerful custom suits and presumably lots of pilot experience. The duels are already stacked.