Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Soysaucebeast posted:

I used a USB stick since I think that's the easiest for Linux newbies. Basically just pop the USB stick into your PC and format it as ExFAT and you'll be able to use it on both your PC and the Deck. I have a USB A to USB C adapter, but if you have a USB C thumb drive then you don't even need that.

If for whatever reason it's FAT32 format it'll work too (I used mine to hack my PS3 recently), just not NTFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

FAT32 can't handle files over 4GB though which might be an issue if you're looking to play more recent games

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Has anyone played Darkest Dungeon II from EGS on the Deck? People on Reddit are claiming it works "really well" but I haven't found a way to make it work with a gamepad or anything, so basically I have to play it with touch pad mouse and by mapping WASD onto the keypad, which is ... doable, but a drat distance from "really well".

darkest dungeon I has poo poo controller support, i doubt they're doing a hell of a lot better for steam deck controls in the sequel

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Fawf posted:

This feels like a silly question, but is there a good guide on how to copy my roms over from my pc to the deck? Can't just pop the sd card into my windows computer once it's been formatted

I used Winpinator and it seems okay so far.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m playing Troubleshooter Abandoned Children and while it’s unsupported and a bit wonky in terms of controls, it works pretty well a long as you add mouse to one of the trackpads as a backup option.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I found winpinator kinda glitchy. Syncthing runs great otoh and you can run it as a service so you don’t need to boot into desktop mode to transfer stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've doubled my playtime in Horizon Zero Dawn on the deck in the 2 days since I got it just because I can play it in short bursts and also I've now encountered the bug where if you resume from sleep the right stick will just stop working.

Also I've now found out what the low battery notification looks like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you

• plug in 3.5mm headphones
  • suspend the Deck
  • remove the headphones
  • unsuspend the deck

you will then find that you no longer have volume control until you reboot. The volume buttons will control echo-sink-something-or-other but the sound coming out of the speaker won’t change.

Was alarming on the subway, probably somewhat also for my fellow passengers.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Was alarming on the subway, probably somewhat also for my fellow passengers.

*unresumes steam deck*

*it starts screaming "YAMETE KUDASAI!!" as Subjunctive fumbles with the volume and power buttons*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not gonna look that up!

I got the leather skin for the front of my deck and I like it. Have “teardown” on the back and touchpads.

A little creasing on the corners but not as bad as the absolute tragedy I made of the front teardown sticker a while ago. Feels great in the hands, too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PantsBandit posted:

Looked this up, it is really cool!

https://v.redd.it/0zok44x7ccr91

The original is the one I have, where it has the sounds of the systems in the video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xs3jzn/my_handheld_history_ultimate_edition_boot_video/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Not gonna look that up!

I got the leather skin for the front of my deck and I like it. Have “teardown” on the back and touchpads.

A little creasing on the corners but not as bad as the absolute tragedy I made of the front teardown sticker a while ago. Feels great in the hands, too.

Link for that please and how hard was it to really put on? I feel like I am terrible at it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
deck had been working fine, played on Friday, plus it in the case. pulled it out tonight, the ABXY buttons and right stick just do not work, a hard reset makes no difference and so I guess I'm doing an RMA, and also if anyone wants to buy a 512mb at a discount PM me because I've got a hardline fool me once attitude with bespoke hardware, so one way or another I'm cashing out of this piece of poo poo, i expect

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*looks up from steam dreck im currently gaming on* oh okay

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Just an FYI in case anyone else with the 512GB has what appear to be 'bubbles' show up on their screen:

Apparently in some cases it's just a residue on the screen from manufacturing and can be removed with isopropyl alcohol. One recently showed up on my deck and following the above guide took care of it right away. Wonder how many people RMA'd their device for what turned out to just be a dirty screen.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 3, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

deck had been working fine, played on Friday, plus it in the case. pulled it out tonight, the ABXY buttons and right stick just do not work, a hard reset makes no difference and so I guess I'm doing an RMA, and also if anyone wants to buy a 512mb at a discount PM me because I've got a hardline fool me once attitude with bespoke hardware, so one way or another I'm cashing out of this piece of poo poo, i expect

lol

Ok well see ya later

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Not gonna look that up!

I’m a dumbass, I thought that you managed to get an AirTag inside the Deck.

I love the leather look.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MarcusSA posted:

lol

Ok well see ya later

oh, I'm probably venting and once I get through the presumably long but hopefully painless RMA process I will probably roll my eyes and hope it doesn't happen again.

loving annoying, though, I've been playing this like 15 mins a day waiting for my kid's bus to show up, and it's been fine for that, and then poof half the controls just stop working between putting it away on friday and opening it tonight. The gently caress?

I have one local friend who has a deck and he had to RMA his for a busted controller the first week, so I am fairly :raise: on the QC here.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You should get a proven device that has sticks that will never fail, like the Nintendo Switch.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dramicus posted:

You should get a proven device that has sticks that will never fail, like the Nintendo Switch.

I had a switch and while I didn't love it and ended up selling it, I think what they did with their controllers was smart, compared to the deck with integral "button or joystick breaks, have to RMA/service whole unit". This has been in my mind since day one, but having not one button break but 4 plus a joystick at once when literally nothing happened to the thing has me tilting at windmills.

edit: also my 3ds from 2011 still works fine with all its buttons and weird rear end thumbstick, and that will be what I play at the bus stop until Valve straightens me out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Without getting into it too much, it makes sense that everything on the same side failed at once. If you look at how the deck is made, it's got a separate board for each side of inputs. The board might have been bad, or it got knocked loose or who knows.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Without getting into it too much, it makes sense that everything on the same side failed at once. If you look at how the deck is made, it's got a separate board for each side of inputs. The board might have been bad, or it got knocked loose or who knows.

got it. Well, I guess I just have to hope they don't take forever to sort it out, and that they do. It's certainly possible it got jostled but it was just sitting on the passenger seat of a car for a few hours and then on a table, in its case, so if getting whacked in that condition knocked something loose, seems like it was going to happen eventually.

anyone know the usual RMA turnaround these days? My friend here did one early on and it was pretty quick, maybe a couple weeks.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I quite enjoy my steam deck but having a pretty solid pc I’m treating it more as an emulation and indie game machine. Text and UI just are a little on the too small side for me for most AAA games on it.

Still enjoying big immersive games on the PC a bit more.

Have many people ran across any “triple A” games where the UI is actually great on the Deck?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
One thing to keep in mind: a lot of games made in the last 5 to 10 years have accessibility options, such as increasing text size or legibility. Comes in handy for some games on the decks screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tamba posted:

Looks like all the preorder queues except Eu 64GB are done now

Figures! Waiting in line on the 64GB model.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

homeless snail posted:

*looks up from steam dreck im currently gaming on* oh okay

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Figures! Waiting in line on the 64GB model.

That one should only take another week, or at most two to catch up

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m a dumbass, I thought that you managed to get an AirTag inside the Deck.

I love the leather look.

A few people actually have, it’s one of the hardware mods I’m interested in doing once I decide to crack mine open (also because I lost the fan lottery)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So is there a way to set it so that the Steam Deck will still continue on its own display while connected to a monitor/TV in gaming mode?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what are the delivery protocols with their canadian fedex or whatev? I'm in an apartment building and i'm worried they'll dump it in the lobby or in front of the door. i might even be gone for thanksgiving when they come. please tell me they require a signature from someone in the household... i know i can't trust the people in this building, residents or management, to not take a nice looking box.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."

Mescal posted:

what are the delivery protocols with their canadian fedex or whatev? I'm in an apartment building and i'm worried they'll dump it in the lobby or in front of the door. i might even be gone for thanksgiving when they come. please tell me they require a signature from someone in the household... i know i can't trust the people in this building, residents or management, to not take a nice looking box.

I got mine delivered to a house and not an apartment so this might differ for you, but they just dumped it on my porch without requiring a signature or even knocking. Fortunately I was extremely On The Lookout that day so I picked it up within 10 minutes but yeah, be wary.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

Fedex left mine on the porch, no signature/etc. It's been that way with all of them ever since COVID, I can't even remember the last time I had a signature door knocker. It's in a weird looking brown outer box that was totally unlabeled except for the california battery warning. I wouldn't sweat it too much, get a relative/friend to grab it for you if you're going to be gone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mine was left in my shed because as terrible as Hermes are they will at least follow delivery instructions 60-70% of the time.

The Gunslinger posted:

It's in a weird looking brown outer box that was totally unlabeled except for the california battery warning.

It does have the Deck logo on, but it's on there among all the other warning symbols so unless someone knows what they're looking for it's not obvious. Though I doubt people stealing packages are thinking much about what's in them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just got mine, Canadian fedex delivery. He left it on the porch, rang the doorbell, and left, which is par for the course with FedEx here.

But I was home, thankfully! As soon as work is done, I'mma sniff that vent.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Assuming it’s true that’s about what I figured they’d sell in Deck 1’s lifetime when it was first announced. Seems like a pretty big success (which I guess we’ve known anecdotally for awhile).

https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/status/1576950141872787462

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's a lot of vampire survivors machines.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anno posted:

Assuming it’s true that’s about what I figured they’d sell in Deck 1’s lifetime when it was first announced. Seems like a pretty big success (which I guess we’ve known anecdotally for awhile).

https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/status/1576950141872787462

That’s pretty amazing. AFAIK most of the other players in this space have been lucky to break 100k

1 million is obviously a pretty substantial number so that’s awesome.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's an absurd amount of revenue. Another year and this thing could be a billion-dollar product for them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's an absurd amount of revenue. Another year and this thing could be a billion-dollar product for them.

It’s important to remember they are taking a loss on all of them (maybe less so now but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still a negative).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Fedex left mine on the porch, no signature/etc. It's been that way with all of them ever since COVID, I can't even remember the last time I had a signature door knocker. It's in a weird looking brown outer box that was totally unlabeled except for the california battery warning. I wouldn't sweat it too much, get a relative/friend to grab it for you if you're going to be gone.

so what, there's basically no way to get delivery instructions to them since it's an outside party shipping and valve doesn't really have anything for customer support?

i can't just have somebody swing by sometime that day, i'll have to be there. this apartment has been burgled twice this year. a tasty package won't be sitting around for long.