Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

Now yes, every culture in human history has believed in ghosts. But I read this really great Dick Dawkins quote on Reddit that explains how everyone is wrong except for me.

Cultural universals aren't special. Storytelling, marriage, etiquette, laws. There are some things humans all just seem to do for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gripweed posted:

Now yes, every culture in human history has believed in ghosts. But I read this really great Dick Dawkins quote on Reddit that explains how everyone is wrong except for me.

Actually that isn't strictly true. There are a fair old number that just do not believe in "ghosts" but do believe in the undead.

https://www.naturalhistorymag.com/picks-from-the-past/12476/shakespeare-in-the-bush

This is a great, if a little long, story about one such group and their interactions with someone telling them the story of Hamlet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ragnar34 posted:

Cultural universals aren't special. Storytelling, marriage, etiquette, laws. There are some things humans all just seem to do for whatever reason.

Are you arguing that marriage and laws aren’t real either?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Are you arguing that marriage and laws aren’t real either?

They’re social customs, not physical phenomena

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

i call bullshit on ghosts being real. theyre not

A fart is a lunch ghost

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
The last few years I've subscribed to the idea that ghosts (specifically) and possibly other cryptids (generally) are just brief encounters with other dimensions or universes. I don't feel like it is outside the realm of possibility, but it is still just outside of our scientific understandings. I like to hold on to there being a little mystery left in the world though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ommin posted:

The last few years I've subscribed to the idea that ghosts (specifically) and possibly other cryptids (generally) are just brief encounters with other dimensions or universes. I don't feel like it is outside the realm of possibility, but it is still just outside of our scientific understandings. I like to hold on to there being a little mystery left in the world though.

Man multiple times over the past few years the government has released footage of UFOs and said "yeah we have no idea what the gently caress this is but we've ruled out weather phenomena, hoax, and all known forms of technology."

It's loving insane that alien conspiracy stuff hasn't come back like it was in the 90s. I guess too much of that energy was captured by Qanon

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Gripweed posted:

It's loving insane that alien conspiracy stuff hasn't come back like it was in the 90s. I guess too much of that energy was captured by Qanon

I don't think it had to come back because it never went away. It became so normalized that it's an entire industry now. The government releasing weird videos just became white noise to everyone else. But I also think a lot of energy behind any conspiracy theory eventually cools because anyone that would still care is either dead or isolated.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ommin posted:

My general philosophy is to try to see the world as it is, without being blinded by cynicism or sentiment. I don’t really like wishful thinking and try not to do it—this is counterbalanced by me thinking that cynics are just as naive as romantics

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

UFOlogists have been very vocal at the recent spate of declassification. People are just to blinded by dumb fake poo poo like politics to pay attention to the things that matter

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

thetoughestbean posted:

If we can find ruins of ancient mega cities we can find a single bigfoot skeleton. But we haven’t

You can't really judge stuff based on fossil records because the fact that we ever find anything at all is a stroke of luck. There are giant gaps in the fossil records of animals we see everyday. Like you can spend an evening reading up on the history of trying to prove the horse existed.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

"Green" is merely a social construct that we collectively agree upon as a society to reflect that particular band of the visible spectrum.

Being real generous here, are you saying that "green" as a concept postdates Newton's reification of the visible spectrum?

Less generous but more in line with the thrust of your argument as i understand it: did green come into existence when we defined it as a range of light within a specific range?

"Green" predating your definition of "green" presents a pretty obvious problem

2nd Amendment has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Oct 3, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Mario games peaked more than 30 years ago with Super Mario World. The Mario Kart series branched off and became its own thing, but even the best of those (Mario Kart 64) didn't quite reach the heights of SMW.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rick posted:

You can't really judge stuff based on fossil records because the fact that we ever find anything at all is a stroke of luck. There are giant gaps in the fossil records of animals we see everyday. Like you can spend an evening reading up on the history of trying to prove the horse existed.

The what?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The Mario games peaked more than 30 years ago with Super Mario World. The Mario Kart series branched off and became its own thing, but even the best of those (Mario Kart 64) didn't quite reach the heights of SMW.

I share this opinion.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Powered Descent posted:

Galaxy was fun too. I’m not familiar enough with all iterations to make a formal judgement though.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
swing you arms from side to side

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Powered Descent posted:

Actually Mario world is the most hyper over exaggerated game in the history of the internet. Its great sure but all Mario games are great, yes even sunshine. No, not paper Mario. Yes, especially Mario land 3: wario land.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

2nd Amendment posted:

Being real generous here, are you saying that "green" as a concept postdates Newton's reification of the visible spectrum?

Less generous but more in line with the thrust of your argument as i understand it: did green come into existence when we defined it as a range of light within a specific range?

"Green" predating your definition of "green" presents a pretty obvious problem

It’s a physical phenomenon ya dumbass. You can easily verify if something is green. It’s replicable. No amount of mucking about in pseudo-philosophy is going to make it not exist.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Actually Mario world is the most hyper over exaggerated game in the history of the internet. Its great sure but all Mario games are great, yes even sunshine. No, not paper Mario. Yes, especially Mario land 3: wario land.

Paper Mario and it's single, solitary sequel, The Thousand Year Door, rule.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ghosts are 100% real, I had sex with one and even made it pregnant

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm watching Breaking Bad just now for the first time, its good, a decent distraction from the downtime while working from home but every single scene that isn't Walter White/Jesse is just boring shite

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

2nd Amendment posted:

You're just hitting all the first philosophy class classics. Have you ever wondered if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a noise?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're just hitting all the first philosophy class classics. Have you ever wondered if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a noise?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it become a ghost?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Atticus_1354 posted:

If it's such a simple question you should be able to provide a simple answer

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s a physical phenomenon ya dumbass. You can easily verify if something is green. It’s replicable. No amount of mucking about in pseudo-philosophy is going to make it not exist.

Your babbling about colors just brings The Dress to mind. Especially since David Duchovny thought it was a shade of green.

Atticus_1354 posted:

A tree coming down can be eerily silent. Sometimes you feel rather than hear it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think posters ITT are exaggerating the ambiguity of 'green' for rhetorical effect.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
If green isn't real, explain the prevalence of ghosts with names like "the green lady".

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Anne of ?????? Gables

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

green is an abstract consequence of a concrete physical phenomenon (specific wavelengths)

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Green is a quale.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, goons'll believe anything, "ghosts are real", "trees make noise", "bluish-yellow is a distinct color"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i think smw is great and sunshine was not

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
blue and green are the same thing

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ohtori Akio posted:

blue and green are the same thing

Luigi just over here in a single shade jumpsuit

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Argh, I can't read the blue font on the green background of my own posts (a net positive)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

orange and brown are the same thing tho

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Atticus_1354 posted:

I agree these are pretty basic concepts, which is also why people dismissing them is so shocking.

Is a white horse a horse?

2nd Amendment has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Oct 3, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A horse is a horse, of course of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Fun fact a white horse and a gray horse can both have the same white hair but the latter has darker skin under the fur and the former has pink skin.