Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You love to see it

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1576862962438266880

I mean obviously I’d have preferred to see them being pelted with eggs and rotten fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Marmaduke! posted:

Exactly, that stuff that Tory chairman was saying above could have actually been useful if it was "we should all be looking to reduce power consumption" instead of "Too poor to run your heater 24-7? Just get a better paid job". Of course, saying we should use less power would imply we should take action, like all that inconvenient house insulation hullabaloo...

Why don't you insulate your houses? Is it a culture war thing?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Truss in hiding. Five days later, new PM Mark Porkets appears, suspiciously blonde, wearing a comedy Groucho Marx mask.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

jeebus bob posted:

The no smoking sign is a nice touch

It is. I'm against smoking in any case. Smoking is bad.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1576827705668304896

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
This is a good article about the budget and the events that followed.

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-157-the-bond-market-massacre

Adam Tooze posted:

Talk of markets at that point become euphemistic and we must ask, beyond the need for “systemic stability”, who are the principal and immediate beneficiaries of these interventions? Who exactly is being bailed out when the Bank of England steps in? The answer is not clear cut. Is it pension policy holders? The economy at large that is spared a catastrophic financial crisis? Or is it BlackRock Inc., Legal & General Group Plc and Schroders Plc who manage LDI funds on behalf of pension clients? The very fact that we cannot give a confident answer to these questions, suggests that we are dealing with a system riven with conflicts of interest. And this poses the question of reform. Does it really make sense to perpetuate a system in which disastrous financial risks are built into the profit-driven provision of basic financial products like pensions and mortgages? Yes the central bank can act as the fire brigade, but why do we such a dangerous situation as normality. Why do the smoke detectors fail again and again? And why is the house not more fire proof? It is time to ask who benefits and who pays the cost for continuing with this dangerously inflammable system.

Amongst the costs this system imposes should be counted the sheer uncertainty it generates. As I hit send on this newsletter - the flight map tells me we are 35,000 feet up, somewhere over Azerbaijan - the CDS on Credit Suisse debt have surged to 2009 levels and the chief economist of the IIF is warning of dollar funding stress. None of us can know what the coming week has in store for us.

But before anyone starts wittering on about irreducible, metaphysical uncertainty, let us be clear. This is nothing of the sort. The hazards that we face in the global financial markets are entirely human-induced, macro-risks. They are the results of a contradictory, incoherent and hazardous profit-driven system, which the status quo underwrites.

If you are a supposedly left wing comentator or politician and are talking about how about the tories are bad because they did something the markets didnt like, rather than the bolded bit above, then well maybe you are not actually left wing.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
How-could-you-refuse-this-little-face-anything-you-absolute-monster tax

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I lived in Selly Oak at university. Nice place.

https://twitter.com/MikeHolden42/status/1576884285977645058

Inshallah

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Now they know what it's like to get rinsed by the government, fuckwits.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

drat imagine promising to do a thing and then going back on that promise, good thing keir starmer has never

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

gently caress knows. I think it's a :tif: thing.

I got my loft insulated (and floored) when I moved in and I seem to be regarded as mildly weird but harmless if I mention that to people.

Ed: the house was nearly 100 years old when I bought it and no one else had bothered in all that time.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 3, 2022

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

This is a good article about the budget and the events that followed.

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-157-the-bond-market-massacre

If you are a supposedly left wing comentator or politician and are talking about how about the tories are bad because they did something the markets didnt like, rather than the bolded bit above, then well maybe you are not actually left wing.

This is an excellent article.

It also helps frame a discomfort I’ve felt with liberals and even the left (and predictably, the Labour Party) criticising the mini budget for the market reaction as opposed to first principles: tax cuts for the rich and cuts to public services are immoral, regardless of market reaction.

McDonnell was wargaming a run on the pound, and interest rates would have no doubt risen under a left wing Labour government too. That doesn’t mean a progressive, high-tax, high-investment budget is one that the left shouldn’t support.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Runcible Cat posted:

I got my loft insulated (and floored) when I moved in and I seem to be regarded as mildly weird but harmless if I mention that to people.

People will quickly change their tune when they're freezing to death. Like.. why the gently caress wouldn't you insulate your home

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

this isnt getting the love and respect it so richly deserves

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The Irony Lady

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

this isnt getting the love and respect it so richly deserves

tbh it went over my head, I know it's Troy McClure but not what he means to the response

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So they’ve now apparently back-pedalled on everything and no tax cuts at all until next years budget lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

tbh it went over my head, I know it's Troy McClure but not what he means to the response

troy has sex with fish

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol

quote:

The government’s 45p tax U-turn overshadowed attempts today by the Scottish Tory leader, Douglas Ross, to promote the Scottish Conservatives as “the real alternative to the SNP”.

Ross, whose leadership has been been questioned and who had been defending abolishing the 45p tax rate in recent days, told a fringe event at the Tory conference in Birmingham:

quote:

This morning, the chancellor has confirmed a change to the budget that was presented 10 days ago. I think he has made the right decision. The best parts of the government’s growth plans remain and the area that caused the most concern has gone.

Politicians have to listen and respond – and that’s exactly what the chancellor has done

y'done hosed it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ross: "no, NO it IS rain that's falling on your face"

Kwarteng: "actually it's piss. I pissed on you all"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
All the spidermans pointing at each other

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1576819652902400000?t=esePANPs1xOgChlCUYCouA

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol lol lol. It’s proper rats in a sack time

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1576894518703423489

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wait, Boris Johnson stood for something?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Diet Crack posted:

People will quickly change their tune when they're freezing to death. Like.. why the gently caress wouldn't you insulate your home

gently caress if I know. Inertia I guess? As a general rule Brits love their status quo, so "we never needed none of this newfangled insulation in The War bulldog breed Land of Hope and Glory :effort: blah blah"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Ross: "no, NO it IS rain that's falling on your face"

Kwarteng: "actually it's piss. I pissed on you all"

Great now I am imagining kwarteng telling dr eggman he pissed on his wife.

Runcible Cat posted:

gently caress if I know. Inertia I guess? As a general rule Brits love their status quo, so "we never needed none of this newfangled insulation in The War bulldog breed Land of Hope and Glory :effort: blah blah"?

See this is why everyone should be forced to play, I dunno, some minecraft, or ideally a colony management game, to give them an instinctive desire to max out efficiency and plan ahead.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 3, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jedit posted:

Wait, Boris Johnson stood for something?

He has stood for many ladies

like that one time when he cheated on his wife who was suffering from cancer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
(by "stood for" I mean that he had an erection)

(when he was cheating)

(on his wife)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Great now I am imagining kwarteng telling dr eggman he pissed on his wife.

Robotnik at a dinner party with his wife when suddenly Kwasi Kwarteng enters to this music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3JZKyaucK4

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The Insulate Britain protests specifically wanted social housing insulation improved, but no way our government would provide the funding. It was probably actually the closest to a two-sided culture war we've had, but of course protest is basically illegal now...

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/peston/status/1576855492382842880?s=46&t=bUz3_qqDCACvjbGxFIAlvg

Yes Robert, I’m sure that’s exactly what’s going on here…

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's a miracle I survived my 20s with all the cannabis I was injecting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63115171

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Runcible Cat posted:

And usually the 'tradition' is some recent low quality thing made necessary by the war rather than an actual tradition. Or from Victorian urbanization at the earliest. But inertia it has.

https://twitter.com/gayle_writing/status/1576854168228098048

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Guessing the weed to class A idiocy is an attempt at a dead cat to shift the outrage from the mind blowing economic incompetence on display?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tomberforce posted:

Guessing the weed to class A idiocy is an attempt at a dead cat to shift the outrage from the mind blowing economic incompetence on display?

It is entirely probable that it's just what a tory police and crime commisioner would actually want. The government is reverting to the 1980's economically, the PCCs are wanting to do it with drug policy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yass Nads, do it for Boris.

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1576901327539654657?t=pO457HzNLcszQ3d4LpYGqA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to imagine that means she personally will be going around balloting everybody.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Runcible Cat posted:

Ed: the house was nearly 100 years old when I bought it and no one else had bothered in all that time.

It's just... shouldn't it be common sense when you need a volume of air kept warmer than the surrounding air? Houses can be made insulated so they don't need winter heating, even here in Sweden (by accepting a lot of building constrictions, admittedly). You've got all those gas burners and fuel poverty and seem to be cold at home all the time, and still you don't use proper argon filled insulated double-glass windows?

I recall back when swedes used to live in britane they always made a point of how they had to use swedish contractors because the british just didn't know how to build houses for british conditions. "They route their water pipes on the outside of the building!", that sort of thing. It's plain weird

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

This talk really gets my hopes up then I remember who is running the Labour party :smith:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
This whole thing is so fascinatingly incompetent

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1576888448450969600?t=kBNQNxjUw4nVYB5fnH3Vpw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's just... shouldn't it be common sense when you need a volume of air kept warmer than the surrounding air? Houses can be made insulated so they don't need winter heating, even here in Sweden (by accepting a lot of building constrictions, admittedly). You've got all those gas burners and fuel poverty and seem to be cold at home all the time, and still you don't use proper argon filled insulated double-glass windows?

I recall back when swedes used to live in britane they always made a point of how they had to use swedish contractors because the british just didn't know how to build houses for british conditions. "They route their water pipes on the outside of the building!", that sort of thing. It's plain weird

You have been reading these threads for how long and have still not come to the conclusion that there is a significant cohort of british society that is monumentally loving stupid and will not under any circumstances accept that they are wrong about anything ever?