Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s important to remember they are taking a loss on all of them (maybe less so now but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still a negative).

Yeah they're running the console playbook of taking a hardware loss in expectation of a software gain which is gonna be the real question. Though it seems like being Deck Verified is becoming a prized tag for devs so clearly it's having some impact on sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Twobirds posted:

I'm a newb too and had trouble, though when I tried via the lutris launcher it works in desktop mode, but again there's no menu text when I try in gaming mode.

Incase this helps anyone:

I installed lutris via the following instructions:
https://www.theverge.com/23132688/steam-deck-epic-games-store-gog-origin-how-to

And Grimrock 2 worked without fault via the generated steam link.

Is there a way to browse community controls for non steam games?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

One really stupid minor thing I wish Steam would do is tell you how much time you play on the deck. Separate out the hours a little bit so it says I've played Vampire Survivors 80 hours on PC and 9 hours on Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yeah they're running the console playbook of taking a hardware loss in expectation of a software gain which is gonna be the real question. Though it seems like being Deck Verified is becoming a prized tag for devs so clearly it's having some impact on sales.

Yeah hopefully a dev makes an off hand remark about it soon. I’m curious how much it impacts sales.

I wonder if devs can see that people are playing their game on the deck?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

right now being deck verified means you're on a pretty short list, kinda like what being on steam meant back in like '09 :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've seen how this goes. They'll let anyone become verified for a $100 fee and then half of twitter will melt down at this grave insult to shoebox indie devs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, if I already played a bunch of Magic Survivor on mobile and it didn't really do much for me, am I likely to give a gently caress about vampire survivors? It didn't look much different.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:toot:

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

njsykora posted:

theyre well on their way to getting ahead just from me rebuying poo poo i already have on consoles just to play it on the deck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Risutora posted:

theyre well on their way to getting ahead just from me rebuying poo poo i already have on consoles just to play it on the deck

same lol. or rebuying games i already own on GOG cos it's easier.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Some of the GOG games have installers that work just fine on the Deck! Battletech plays flawlessly for instance. Might save you some :10bux: (forgive me Gabe...)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I definitely buy games on Steam that I have elsewhere. When is SoP coming to steam!?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, if I already played a bunch of Magic Survivor on mobile and it didn't really do much for me, am I likely to give a gently caress about vampire survivors? It didn't look much different.

Probably not, if it was the gameplay loop that didn't grab you.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Meh I never liked Vampire Survivors myself, but there are so many options in the genre now that there is plenty I have enjoyed.

Brotato
20 Minutes till dawn
Boneraiser Minions

I've enjoyed way more then VS. Though I haven't played VS in a few months,so maybe its better now?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Marx Headroom posted:

Some of the GOG games have installers that work just fine on the Deck! Battletech plays flawlessly for instance. Might save you some :10bux: (forgive me Gabe...)

I've had success with both just using a gog exe file, and also just installing a game on my PC and moving over that folder.

Heroic Launcher works perfect for both GoG and Epic games installs also.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I got a deck recently, and it made me realize how terrible I am with twin stick games. I'm a little worried that two decades of mouse+keyboard hosed up my coordination because a lot of fun chill games felt awkward to control on the Steam Deck. Like I really didn't play console FPS games much at all over the years, so having to use the right analog stick to look around and aim feels so unnatural :ohdear:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

so what, there's basically no way to get delivery instructions to them since it's an outside party shipping and valve doesn't really have anything for customer support?

i can't just have somebody swing by sometime that day, i'll have to be there. this apartment has been burgled twice this year. a tasty package won't be sitting around for long.

Yes basically, sorry dude. You're probably nowhere near me otherwise I would offer to go pick it up for you. The date Fedex gives you was pretty accurate in my case so at least you can try to make arrangements with work/etc. Maybe the protocol is different for apartment buildings, who knows.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
drat this little thing is more comfy to hold than I expected

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'me sure Valve knows the impact of receiving a Deck and spending money on the store. I'd be surprised if they ever shared but I'd love to see it.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've seen how this goes. They'll let anyone become verified for a $100 fee and then half of twitter will melt down at this grave insult to shoebox indie devs.

Valve have actually done a reasonably good job gate keeping these sorts of things, like the recentish changes to pricing rules so you can't be always on sale, and they've pissed off publishers in the past by holding firm to these rules. That's not altruism or anything, they just always put the sanctity of the storefront above all else, and they charge developers a pretty penny for that.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

jokes posted:

I definitely buy games on Steam that I have elsewhere. When is SoP coming to steam!?

Considering how the game runs on my machine with a dedicated GPU, please no.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I got my email to order the 512gb today after thinking about buying one off a local all weekend, hurray!

Looks like they're really getting them out since I placed the order less than a week ago.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lol there are so many m/kb games I want to play on it but when I get ready for setting up a control scheme I get overwhelmed and distracted... Doesn't help that most of those are meant for a larger screen in relation to viewing angle

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harminoff posted:

Meh I never liked Vampire Survivors myself, but there are so many options in the genre now that there is plenty I have enjoyed.

Brotato
20 Minutes till dawn
Boneraiser Minions

I've enjoyed way more then VS. Though I haven't played VS in a few months,so maybe its better now?

Quoting this for later but also: what did you like more about 20 Minutes 'til Dawn?

The aesthetics were pleasing (although sometimes the mostly-monochrome hurt it) but with as far as I got it felt significantly more samey.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I seriously considered buying Odyssey again on Steam just to more easily play it on the Deck and then I came to my senses and realised I'd probably never bother downloading it

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Lol there are so many m/kb games I want to play on it but when I get ready for setting up a control scheme I get overwhelmed and distracted... Doesn't help that most of those are meant for a larger screen in relation to viewing angle

Take a look in the community bindings, someone might have already made some that work for you or only need slight tweaking. Those were really active when the Steam Controller came out, I'm sure it's picked up some more with the Deck.

Hell, some Steam Controller bindings might work too, it's very similar to the control layout of the deck, just with extra buttons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone seen any videos doing a comparison of a steam version of a game vs a non steam version? I’m actually curious if all the shader compilations really do all that much.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How does Nintendo DS/3DS emulation work on the Deck? Do you have to have a hotkey to switch between screens or something like that?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I tried 3ds and it had really bad sound problems that I couldn't figure out how to fix, but it does have a button to switch how the screens are displayed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to primarily use my Deck for retro emulation, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PSP, and maybe PS2 if that works?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I want to primarily use my Deck for retro emulation, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PSP, and maybe PS2 if that works?

That all works great

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0gEIeFgDX0
A talk by a KDE dev specifically on working with Valve for Steam Deck. Biggest pull quote is confirmation they've shipped over 1 million units, but is full of lots of interesting stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

PS2 is easy peasy.

MockingQuantum posted:

How does Nintendo DS/3DS emulation work on the Deck? Do you have to have a hotkey to switch between screens or something like that?

Yeah I use a hot key to switch the screens.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

I said come in! posted:

This is pretty much exclusively what I use it for and all of those things work perfectly. Ps2 games run fantastic, 0 issues I've found so far.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

If you use Emudeck it automatically assigns one of the rear buttons to swapping the screens, or you can change your settings to put both screens side by side. Though personally I'd rather just use an actual 3DS for all that stuff.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Oh drat I just realized I can play Power Stone again

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Yes basically, sorry dude. You're probably nowhere near me otherwise I would offer to go pick it up for you. The date Fedex gives you was pretty accurate in my case so at least you can try to make arrangements with work/etc. Maybe the protocol is different for apartment buildings, who knows.

it will be a bummer if i have to skip thanksgiving to wait on my gizmo

MockingQuantum posted:

if you have extra money you should get a 3ds before they get too expensive. hack it. i'm not getting rid of mine; it's a much better device for retro nintendo emulation.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Some games I'm getting some very weird frame drops, not sure what it's about.

I'll be trucking along in like, the Vampire the Masquerade VISUAL NOVEL at 40fps and then all of a sudden it stutters and then comes back up to 40. The audio stutters too and the fps goes around 30 and comes back up. Not sure what's up. It's happening in several steam games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This thing will emulate PS3. Wii U is so undemanding that Twilight Princess HD doesn't even spin up the fan audibly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Persists through a restart or system update? Do you let it install or update games in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'll be trucking along in like, the Vampire the Masquerade VISUAL NOVEL at 40fps and then all of a sudden it stutters and then comes back up to 40. The audio stutters too and the fps goes around 30 and comes back up. Not sure what's up. It's happening in several steam games.

You’re not by any chance running the deck at a low framerate or TDP? I was getting 30fps in DOOM until I realised it was using my settings for Disco Elysium