Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

njsykora posted:

This thing will emulate PS3. Wii U is so undemanding that Twilight Princess HD doesn't even spin up the fan audibly.

hmmm, I guess I better throw Gamecube, PS3, and Wii U into the mix then. It hadn't occurred to me that PS3 and Wii U might be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I said come in! posted:

hmmm, I guess I better throw Gamecube, PS3, and Wii U into the mix then. It hadn't occurred to me that PS3 and Wii U might be possible.

If you're in desktop mode and connected to an external display you can use the Deck as an actual Wii U gamepad as well. But yeah there's basically nothing the Deck can't handle to some degree. Xbox, PS3 and Switch aren't 100% and Wii requires some fiddling to run perfectly but there's stuff you can play from basically every system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBf15Z2xoiY

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mescal posted:

it will be a bummer if i have to skip thanksgiving to wait on my gizmo

if you have extra money you should get a 3ds before they get too expensive. hack it. i'm not getting rid of mine; it's a much better device for retro nintendo emulation.

I actually have a 3DS hacked already, I was mostly curious because I'm trying to cut down on the entire table's worth of devices and chargers I have set up, between home and work stuff, lol. I suspect even if it works pretty well it won't be worth it with the 3DS around.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You’re not by any chance running the deck at a low framerate or TDP? I was getting 30fps in DOOM until I realised it was using my settings for Disco Elysium

yeah, low tdp setting, and 40fps across the board

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hammer Bro. posted:

Quoting this for later but also: what did you like more about 20 Minutes 'til Dawn?

The aesthetics were pleasing (although sometimes the mostly-monochrome hurt it) but with as far as I got it felt significantly more samey.

I guess I just liked guns vs whips and that I can aim (not just running around and dodging)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Haha. I strongly preferred the lady whose special was random-aimed auto-fire because I did not want to aim.

Fair enough. I'll still look up them other two when I get the chance.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Can someone link a good guide to packaging up non-Steam Windows games? I'm interested in putting Slice and Dice on the Deck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just sniffed the vent.

Smells like a furniture store to me.

Beautiful.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ullerrm posted:

Can someone link a good guide to packaging up non-Steam Windows games? I'm interested in putting Slice and Dice on the Deck.

Go into desktop mode and copy the full-game folder over to your deck's games folder, or the installer file into downloads or wherever.

Install Lutris from the discover store.

Click the add game + in the top left.

For the folder, select 'add locally installed game' and follow the directions. Select wine under 'runner' and put the exe in the 'Game options' tab.
For the installer, select 'install a windows game from media', hit install a couple of times, select the file and follow it through.

That should work. Right click the game to add a shortcut to steam if it didn't ask.

If you run it and the game doesn't see an .exe rightclick/configure and check game options as above. You might have to check through a couple layers of the 'dos devices' folder till you find the fake e:/games folder or whatever you chose. If the exe is there but the game doesn't run, check the configure/'Runner options' tab and change the wine version from lutris-xx to System 7 and that should sort you out.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 3, 2022

nerox
May 20, 2001
What’s a decent dock for this thing. I just want to hook up a wireless keyboard and mouse and my tv to make messing with the desktop easier to set up things.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hold out for the bespoke Steam Dock that should be coming out sometime next year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wait for the official dock, if you can't the JSAUX dock is the one seemingly every Deck Youtuber uses and it seems to be extremely similar in ports to what's been shown of the official dock.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really hope the official dock has some special features that the JSAUX or other third party docks lack. I’m not calling for extra power, but maybe something that’ll remember and auto switch between docked and undocked settings like the Switch.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Hold out for the bespoke Steam Dock that should be coming out sometime next year.

Can’t wait for the year long waitlist to get one.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Steam dock is taking a weirdly long time for some poo poo that seems like it should be easy to throw together compared to the actual deck.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really hope the official dock has some special features that the JSAUX or other third party docks lack. I’m not calling for extra power, but maybe something that’ll remember and auto switch between docked and undocked settings like the Switch.
That's gonna be a software setting rather than anything the dock does. IMO there's not much reason to wait for the official dock unless you really like the propped up form factor for some reason (and even then, the JSAUX one is just a straight up clone) or just want the Valve branded one which fair enough. There's already a ton of USB-C hubs that will do the same thing and can fit whatever specific weird needs you have, though, in terms of number and types of ports etc.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Thinking of dual booting Windows on this so I can use gamepass. Can I just grab an SD card from Walmart?

Is windows 11 or 10 better on this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Thinking of dual booting Windows on this so I can use gamepass. Can I just grab an SD card from Walmart?

Is windows 11 or 10 better on this?

Yes. I’d go with a 256 at a minimum though.

Also windows 10 I grabbed at $15 key from the guy in SA mart.

It should take about an hour or so start to finish to get set up. It’s pretty simple at this point.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Like I really didn't play console FPS games much at all over the years, so having to use the right analog stick to look around and aim feels so unnatural :ohdear:
You're not wrong about this, it's why so many console shooters rely on aim assist and stuff.

Load up a Gamepad + Mouse Trackpad template and give that a try. The trackpad for aiming is really good, you just can't use the Joystick Trackpad as that's crap and unfortunately the default for many games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Lol there are so many m/kb games I want to play on it but when I get ready for setting up a control scheme I get overwhelmed and distracted...
If the game defaults to WASD you can try the Keyboard + Mouse template, often it just works.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

homeless snail posted:

That's gonna be a software setting rather than anything the dock does. IMO there's not much reason to wait for the official dock unless you really like the propped up form factor for some reason (and even then, the JSAUX one is just a straight up clone) or just want the Valve branded one which fair enough. There's already a ton of USB-C hubs that will do the same thing and can fit whatever specific weird needs you have, though, in terms of number and types of ports etc.

Ah yeah. The JSAUX dock I ordered came in last week. I only tried it out once but I hated how it looked blown up on my large 4k tv. Obviously not the dock's fault. I'm sure it'll look better on a computer monitor but my current desk setup is a nightmare.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

njsykora posted:

If you're in desktop mode and connected to an external display you can use the Deck as an actual Wii U gamepad as well. But yeah there's basically nothing the Deck can't handle to some degree. Xbox, PS3 and Switch aren't 100% and Wii requires some fiddling to run perfectly but there's stuff you can play from basically every system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBf15Z2xoiY

gently caress me, when I heard this thing did emulation I was thinking SNES and Megadrive, not all the way up to the bloody switch.

Is all of this emulation pretty easy to set up?

Mine can't come soon enough. It's "packaged" apparently and now waiting to be picked up by the courier. I'm hoping it gets here for next week because I've got a fortnight off after that, including a long loving trek to the other side of the country.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kin posted:

gently caress me, when I heard this thing did emulation I was thinking SNES and Megadrive, not all the way up to the bloody switch.

Is all of this emulation pretty easy to set up?

Mine can't come soon enough. It's "packaged" apparently and now waiting to be picked up by the courier. I'm hoping it gets here for next week because I've got a fortnight off after that, including a long loving trek to the other side of the country.

Wii U requires an extra step, but for the most part, it's just a matter of running the Emudeck script and then dropping the ISOs/ROMs in their appropriate folders.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

njsykora posted:

If you're in desktop mode and connected to an external display you can use the Deck as an actual Wii U gamepad as well.

I’ve been playing Splatoon with gyro, online on the actual Nintendo servers with my actual Nintendo ID.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Lol that's great. gently caress Nintendo.

I mostly use mine to play PS2 games. Portable Pro Evo 6 is chefs kiss

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of PS2, does the Steam Deck have analog face buttons? Been wondering how I'm gonna emulate MGS3 on this thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah yeah. The JSAUX dock I ordered came in last week. I only tried it out once but I hated how it looked blown up on my large 4k tv. Obviously not the dock's fault. I'm sure it'll look better on a computer monitor but my current desk setup is a nightmare.
You have FSR turned on? Its not 4k but it looks a hell of a lot better than bilinear scaling

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, where is the refresh rate and fps limiter option? I feel like I'm going nuts because I can't find it.

At this point, I'm assuming that it's not part of the official steam menu.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, where is the refresh rate and fps limiter option? I feel like I'm going nuts because I can't find it.

At this point, I'm assuming that it's not part of the official steam menu.

3-dot button, under the battery stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

3-dot button, under the battery stuff.

You are wonderful, thank you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

At this point I’ve left the deck set to 40fps no matter if the game can do 60 or not.

40 feels great.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of PS2, does the Steam Deck have analog face buttons? Been wondering how I'm gonna emulate MGS3 on this thing.

It doesn't, but you could map the CQC / shoot buttons to the triggers for analog control over them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wii U requires an extra step, but for the most part, it's just a matter of running the Emudeck script and then dropping the ISOs/ROMs in their appropriate folders.

When I get it I'll probably figure out what you mean by run a script.

I've not really read up much on everything you should do with the deck, but I'm guessing you have to "mod" it in some way to get it to boot up something different than Steam when you switch it on.

Probably those instructions in the OP.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

As a big Nintendo fan, I really don't like having to go back to the bullshit Xbox layout. :argh:

It's gonna suck using an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro with it, unless it automatically correctly maps the proper buttons to the proper spots?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Kin posted:

When I get it I'll probably figure out what you mean by run a script.

I've not really read up much on everything you should do with the deck, but I'm guessing you have to "mod" it in some way to get it to boot up something different than Steam when you switch it on.

Probably those instructions in the OP.

Its completely open and runs regular Linux, you can just boot to the Linux desktop and use it like a regular PC

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

CBD Corndog posted:

Its completely open and runs regular Linux, you can just boot to the Linux desktop and use it like a regular PC

Hah, sweet. I was a little worried I'd end up with buyers remorse, but just keep seeing more and more cool poo poo that it does!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo this was way easier to set up than I thought, now I just have to zero things in

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As a big Nintendo fan, I really don't like having to go back to the bullshit Xbox layout. :argh:

It's gonna suck using an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro with it, unless it automatically correctly maps the proper buttons to the proper spots?

the nintendo layout is objectively wrong they put x on the vertical axis and y on the horizontal

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

homeless snail posted:

You have FSR turned on? Its not 4k but it looks a hell of a lot better than bilinear scaling

It might have just been Doom 2016 giving me a bad first impression. It got really blurry. I’m testing it now on my monitor and it did the same thing, but I adjusted it in the settings to get sharper. I’ll test around on my tv again later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wii U doesn't even require an extra step any more, since Cemu is open source now it got a native Linux port almost immediately which is what Emudeck uses now. Though you should still go into the Cemu options and change the controller config to Pro Controller if you're going to be playing just on the Deck screen else you won't be able to see inventory screens in some games like Twilight Princess HD since they only appeared on the Gamepad screen.