Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I have a theory about the sword hilt - someone (Waldreg, I think?) Said it has a connection to she shadow world/wraith world or something. It also seems to exhibit similar traits to the one ring.

I think Sauron is gonna melt that sword down to make the ring, maybe alloyed with some mithril for enhancement (cause mithril is now magical silmaril-lite)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
You know, I like the orcs being in white because it's both a little subversion of bad guys being in black and practical because white would block more sunlight.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I think Sauron is gonna melt that sword down to make the ring, maybe alloyed with some mithril for enhancement (cause mithril is now magical silmaril-lite)
The One Ring is pretty explicitly mentioned as being made of gold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

covidstomper58 posted:

Yeah Cirdan at the Grey Havens does.

Cirdan doesn't bother to even slightly hide what a Gandalf Fanboy he is and I love it.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Bugblatter posted:

Where are you seeing that? Neilsen only just recently released the data for the first two episodes and other major third parties haven't given reports on more recent episodes either. Amazon also only gave stats for the premier, thus far.

It would be unusual for analysts to be giving further updates until the series wraps. I can't find anything except for RoP being marked as "most popular" by sources like RT whenever it airs, but that's just based on online chatter, which doesn't necessarily mean anything for viewership.

Edit: All I can find on ongoing viewership is this quote from Insider, "But the coming weeks will better suggest whether it has staying power — though Amazon told Insider that the series 'continues to be the most-watched show worldwide on Prime Video, breaking all previous viewing records."'

google trends might give some hints

2nd level spells posted:

You know, I like the orcs being in white because it's both a little subversion of bad guys being in black and practical because white would block more sunlight.

orcs are vampires now that melt in the sun

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Abner Assington posted:

The One Ring is pretty explicitly mentioned as being made of gold.

Maybe it's just gold plated?
Or Sauron will use whatever magic is in the hilt to imbibe the gold in the ring. I'm fairly sure the hilt will be somehow involved in the forging.

Also fairly certain that the Stranger is Tilion. My 9yo wanted me to start the series over with him so I'm rewatching the first episodes and there's so many signs that point to that.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Gresh posted:

when running across rohan driven by the uruk hai they're half dead and stupified with thier tongues lolling out so sort of.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Gresh posted:

google trends might give some hints

That’s standard falloff for a high profile premiere. Oddly enough Nielsen has RoP ahead of HotD in actual viewers

quote:

They always were in the books.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

agreed, and not at all in line with their descendants, the shire folk, who value mutual aid

I think it is fun to explore the cultural change, it is one of the biggest opportunities in a prequel series happening thousands of years before a familiar setting. There's a lot of familiar in things in Harfoots but at the same time they are very strange and callous in ways that are off putting. Same thing with our own ancestors I'd imagine.

Can't wait for the Harfoots to transform into proto-capitalist Shire-folk with more rigid social classes and a veneer of civilized social relations. No more communal wagon trains with the survival of the fittest, in future hobbits like Sam have perfectly internalized their place in society and in relations of production. Much more civilized and humane! :v:

Harfoots are cool.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

One of the interesting things about how uneven (and often flat-out bad) the writing is is that it's hard to tell when they're even doing something with a specific purpose in mind. There were a few shots that seem like they were meant to echo ones from the PJ trilogy (mini ride of the Rohirrim, Mini Grom, Adar stepping out of the way of the falling tower at the last moment like that orc captain with the trebuchet) but is it an attempt at some sort of visual motif to try to make this feel like part of a narrative universe or did they just copy iconic shots because they couldn't come up with anything better? If everything else was handled more competently it wouldn't even be a question, but it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when so many story beats are just shamelessly barreling through all of the genre cliches.

I don' think that the Numenorian cavalry coming to save the day was ripping off ride of the Rohirrim. Not saying that it wasn't a cliche, but it was a cliche in a sense of evoking the conventions of epics and history they are based on. Mounted soldiers coming to save the day is the cliche that Tolkien, showrunners and Peter Jackson were all using for inspiration. Think things like the charge of Winged Hussars in the Siege of Vienna. I'm sure that the showrunners weren't unhappy that it might give some of the audience feelings of nostalgia for PJ trilogy but as a whole those kinds of motifs really go with the territory of epic fantasy. It is very tolkienesque to use them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I feel so bad for the actors. They probably all thought they'd end up being superstars after this. Or at least be able to make a decent living on the convention panel circuit.

LOL they're all gonna get tons of work after this, but OK.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Bugblatter posted:

That’s standard falloff for a high profile premiere. Oddly enough Nielsen has RoP ahead of HotD in actual viewers

Thats just on streaming, HOT D also has HBO to consider. Also, Neilson counts minutes, not viewers, and dropping 2 episodes at once is going to inflate that a lot for that week.

Curiously, HBO has been saying HOT D has been rising a bit each week since the premiere to about 29 million viewers per episode whereas Amazon has been silent. If they experience growth from week to week I having a feeling we'd be hearing about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Since the first season took like 18 months to film, presumably it'll be well over a year before season 2 drops? Especially if they're having to set up shop in the UK and aren't just reusing the New Zealand sets.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Gresh posted:

Curiously, HBO has been saying HOT D has been rising a bit each week since the premiere to about 29 million viewers per episode whereas Amazon has been silent. If they experience growth from week to week I having a feeling we'd be hearing about it.

They haven't claimed growth, and don't need to for the show to remain a success, but they have stated it remains their most successful show by views episode-to-episode.

stev posted:

Since the first season took like 18 months to film, presumably it'll be well over a year before season 2 drops? Especially if they're having to set up shop in the UK and aren't just reusing the New Zealand sets.

Well, they aren't shooting in the midst of covid this time, the move to the UK was partly motivated by the speed of production possible on the UK soundstages, and they are keeping NZ for location work.

That said, yeah I'd be surprised if they had a standard annual turnaround without cutting production standards.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 4, 2022

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Gresh posted:

Bugblatter posted:

To add to this, the Uruk Hai that Saruman breeds in Fellowship of the Ring are notable not only for being bigger and stronger than the usual orcs but also not getting hurt by the sunlight.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

2nd level spells posted:

Yeah it’s a good look, I dig it a lot.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Bugblatter posted:

Well, they aren't shooting in the midst of covid this time,

Yeah… about that…

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
but no one cares any more

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That annoying southlands kid is going to end up being a Nazgul isn't he? He loved having the magic sword and how much power it made him feel like he had.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

keep punching joe posted:

That annoying southlands kid is going to end up being a Nazgul isn't he? He loved having the magic sword and how much power it made him feel like he had.
Not unless he becomes a king, and the Southlands already have one. Unless of course Halbrand is Sauron, then as Bronwyn's son he is probably next in the command line out of the 25 or so Shouthrons that are still alive :v:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They were once great kings of men, and by that I mean that they were children of random villagers who liked making speeches sometimes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bugblatter posted:

It's sometimes jarring to remember that in the Hobbit it's a whole huge plot point that the trolls literally turn to stone if caught outdoors in the sun.

And there's a talking knapsack.

Tolkien's early writing was super fairytaley. He spent the whole rest of his life trying to rewrite his whole body of work to be more "grown-up" but he only ended up ruining it. The "LotR-style" Hobbit he started writing in 1960 ended up being tedious and grim and his friends told him he should just please for the love of god just stop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Glah posted:

I don' think that the Numenorian cavalry coming to save the day was ripping off ride of the Rohirrim. Not saying that it wasn't a cliche, but it was a cliche in a sense of evoking the conventions of epics and history they are based on. Mounted soldiers coming to save the day is the cliche that Tolkien, showrunners and Peter Jackson were all using for inspiration. Think things like the charge of Winged Hussars in the Siege of Vienna. I'm sure that the showrunners weren't unhappy that it might give some of the audience feelings of nostalgia for PJ trilogy but as a whole those kinds of motifs really go with the territory of epic fantasy. It is very tolkienesque to use them.

Could be just a trope, but I feel the layout and arrangement of that cavalry charge could definitely have been done a number of different ways if they weren't trying to evoke the Rohirrim. For one thing they're advancing through a mountain pass miles from the village; there is no reason to imagine they'd be massed in a broad front and galloping at full speed unless it's to mimic the massed Riders of Rohan all charging at once. Far more realistically they'd be in single or double file trying to pick out a path through unscouted terrain. And Galadriel zooming out in front is a dead ringer for Théoden "outpacing them all". To say nothing of the rising, swelling music.

Seemed really on-the-nose to me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Barreft posted:

thats a creepy pic, where are the eyes

galadriel is half sauron calling it now

her and halbrand loving will reunite the ring

I mean at this point it seems fairly clear that the Galadriel that the writers find interesting is the "ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR :byodood:" Galadriel, not some ethereal and infallible mary-sue ninja lady.

What might make this Galadriel an incredibly dangerous figure to be given the One Ring, 3000 years from now? Why, let's make a TV series exploring that

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

That Italian Guy posted:

Not unless he becomes a king, and the Southlands already have one. Unless of course Halbrand is Sauron, then as Bronwyn's son he is probably next in the command line out of the 25 or so Shouthrons that are still alive :v:

JRR Tolkien posted:

Three of them are Númenórean Sea-Kings, so-called “Black Númenóreans,” whose fear of death led them to accept my rings; and one was even a woman.

Bronwyn's a Nazgul confirmed.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

keep punching joe posted:

He loved having the magic sword

the gently caress wouldn't?

Data Graham posted:

Tolkien's early writing was super fairytaley. He spent the whole rest of his life trying to rewrite his whole body of work to be more "grown-up" but he only ended up ruining it. The "LotR-style" Hobbit he started writing in 1960 ended up being tedious and grim and his friends told him he should just please for the love of god just stop.

here's jrrt's opinion on fairy tales (pdf) https://coolcalvary.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/on-fairy-stories1.pdf He never gave a poo poo about how grown-up his stories were.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
While I'm sure Tolkien had his juvenalia same as anyone his first noteworthy creative output was a studious and super selfserious lingustic history of like three different apocalypse heavily influenced by his witness of at his time the greatest mass murder humanity had ever perpetrated on itself. The idea he wrote chidishly almost offends me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay, poor choice of words. But he did spend decades running away from stuff like "Goblin Feet" and remaking his flat-earth, supernatural-sun-and-moon cosmology into a geocentric naturalistic one.

I'm surprised it's controversial that he moved in that direction in his later years. Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding. i.e. I'm not saying he wrote "childishly" but that his early ideas were about fairies flitting about gardens rather than seven-foot-tall heroes chopping each other's heads off. and his "Hobbit sequel" was initially going to be more one-Grimm-episode-after-another type material like Bilbo fetching up at "a witch house"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 4, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

2nd level spells posted:

While I'm sure Tolkien had his juvenalia same as anyone his first noteworthy creative output was a studious and super selfserious lingustic history of like three different apocalypse heavily influenced by his witness of at his time the greatest mass murder humanity had ever perpetrated on itself. The idea he wrote chidishly almost offends me.

I'm not sure if you're trying to dispute that The Hobbit is much more whimsical and closer to childhood fairy tales than Tolkien's other works? It's so plainly evident that it seems an absurd stance.

It's not even a bad thing. He executed the whimsey fantastically and it's my favorite of his books for that reason.

If you're arguing that his published work was never amateurish, then I think you're attacking an imagined enemy. I don't think anyone is saying the tone of The Hobbit was a flub or an accident. Just that he later decided to revise his approach, which is just a documented fact.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I wasn't trying to dispute anything, I was just adding some color. For the sake of people in the thread who might not be super deep in the backstory, who might not be aware that "orcs sizzling in the sun" isn't a non-Tolkienian kind of element, especially for early Tolkien.

e: lol I'm replying to the wrong post anyway

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 4, 2022

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Could be just a trope, but I feel the layout and arrangement of that cavalry charge could definitely have been done a number of different ways if they weren't trying to evoke the Rohirrim. For one thing they're advancing through a mountain pass miles from the village; there is no reason to imagine they'd be massed in a broad front and galloping at full speed unless it's to mimic the massed Riders of Rohan all charging at once. Far more realistically they'd be in single or double file trying to pick out a path through unscouted terrain. And Galadriel zooming out in front is a dead ringer for Théoden "outpacing them all". To say nothing of the rising, swelling music.

Seemed really on-the-nose to me.

For me the single defining thing about the Ride of the Rohirrim was Theoden's speech and there was none of that in this episode. The battle itself was also very different. Numenorians rode in tight columns into the village and if I recall correctly there was also an enveloping maneuver about the village as opposed to Rohirrim relying on massed assault.

But I guess you can see similarities with Numenorians riding to the village before the battle and the Rohirrim in Pelennor Fields. And the music was swelling but come on! Using swelling music in that kind of scenes kinda goes with the territory.

For me Galadriel zooming front was obvious call back to episode 3 (or 2?, can't remember) where she was enjoying rider's freedom in Numenor. It signified her being back into her element, finally doing something and plans going forward. And viewer could enjoy the same feelings given the sloooooow pace of the series, finally something is happening! :v:

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I'm surprised it's controversial that he moved in that direction in his later years. Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding. i.e. I'm not saying he wrote "childishly" but that his early ideas were about fairies flitting about gardens rather than seven-foot-tall heroes chopping each other's heads off. and his "Hobbit sequel" was initially going to be more one-Grimm-episode-after-another type material like Bilbo fetching up at "a witch house"

It is debatable how Tolkien's writing evolved in regards of more adult themes and what not. It is true that with his published Middle-earth writings, we first get a children' book Hobbit and then his heavy magnum opus Lord of the Rings.

But he had played around with darker themes way before Hobbit. His first attempt at writing prose in 1915 was the Story of Kullervo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Kullervo) and given what it's based on, you can't get much darker.

Like Elizabeth Graham writes:

quote:

Those expecting a typical Tolkien story will be unsettled by Kullervo: He is physically ugly, angry, destructive and uncontrollable. Raised as a prisoner of his father's murderer, Kullervo survives all attempts to kill him and ruins every task he is given. Sold into slavery and mistreated by his master's wife, Kullervo arranges for her to be eaten alive by wolves and bears. On his way home, he meets a girl and abducts her; they live together for a time, but she drowns herself when they discover they are brother and sister.

Oh, hello Túrin Turambar!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

i say swears online posted:

god my roommate saw the latest episode and went on a tirade about how galadriel went woke girlboss at the climax, ruining the character. i am horrified at his comprehension but the last few months he will not shut the gently caress up about she hulk and captain marvel ruining movies and i think youtube is poisoning his brain
Galadriel's arc has been done all sorts of places, like Altair's from Assassin's Creed. The constant churning of clicks and views is making them mad at women and minorities doing things on screen at all, and they're actually disappointed when there's not anything to get mad at, so they have to act as if Galadriel did the little-girl-defiant-of-Wall Street-bull pose and then turned to the camera

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Lol at the idea that genocidal, wanting to torture prisoners Galadriel is somehow woke. Now I'm not sure what woke exactly means but from what I understand, wouldn't Galadriel being sympathetic to orcs and wanting to better their situation be the woke signifier? And maybe admonishing other's for calling them Orcs, they're Uruks drat it! Haven't heard of genocide lusting wokes....

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Galadriel doesn't come across as a girlboss at all to me. :psyduck: She comes across as someone consumed with an obsession following the death of a family member. She hasn't even succeeded at a lot of stuff yet either and had to be bailed out of several situations by a man, including a situation where she would have just straight up died otherwise.

If anything her character comes across as really reckless (and the show hits the viewer over the head that this is the case) not some infallible girlboss cliché. Some people might argue that this doesn't fit the book-galadriels description but I personally find the character really interesting in the TV show

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

i say swears online posted:

god my roommate saw the latest episode and went on a tirade about how galadriel went woke girlboss at the climax, ruining the character. i am horrified at his comprehension but the last few months he will not shut the gently caress up about she hulk and captain marvel ruining movies and i think youtube is poisoning his brain

Youtube absolutely is. I watch nothing but leftist content and cooking shows, and youtube *constantly* suggests bullshit from daily wire, andrew tate, sneako and their cadre. No matter how many times I directly report the videos and tag them as 'don't recommend me this', youtube is pushing that poo poo super hard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It might bounce off viewers whose expectations of non-reckless investigation were shaped by Jack Bauer breaking fingers.

There's a slice of audiences who read her admonishment that the orc race was a mistake was explicitly girlboss based Chadpill alpha whatever. But because a girl said it, we're back in woke territory.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe show Galadriel being impulsive and reckless is a deliberate choice, and over the course of the series she'll becomes less violent and angry and more wise and chill :shrug:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
:lol: at taking Galadriel's genocidal rant at face value. The show's clumsy but hopefully not that much.

Glah posted:

Lol at the idea that genocidal, wanting to torture prisoners Galadriel is somehow woke. Now I'm not sure what woke exactly means but from what I understand, wouldn't Galadriel being sympathetic to orcs and wanting to better their situation be the woke signifier? And maybe admonishing other's for calling them Orcs, they're Uruks drat it! Haven't heard of genocide lusting wokes....

She's a feminist but lacking in the intersectionality department.

Kaedric posted:

Youtube absolutely is. I watch nothing but leftist content and cooking shows, and youtube *constantly* suggests bullshit from daily wire, andrew tate, sneako and their cadre. No matter how many times I directly report the videos and tag them as 'don't recommend me this', youtube is pushing that poo poo super hard.

Get BlockTube.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kaedric posted:

are you sure you're just watching that, because I've never had a recommendation for Andrew Tate, etc, in my life lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
using a browser extension that never shows the trending page on youtube did a lot to improve my life quality. the general recommendations are whatever afaict, but the trending page has just been pure garbage with depp-heard hatemongering and whatnot