Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
hasn't jones already squirrelled away his money OJ style so he's basically never going to pay out anything? Also I'm curious what the judgment amount could end up being and if it matters since, he's not gonna pay anything. I really wish they would have gotten him in jail somehow but nothing matters so of course not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

hasn't jones already squirrelled away his money OJ style so he's basically never going to pay out anything? Also I'm curious what the judgment amount could end up being and if it matters since, he's not gonna pay anything. I really wish they would have gotten him in jail somehow but nothing matters so of course not.

The current bankruptcy trial is unraveling all of his money movements.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I assume Jones hid his money with the same level of ability he brings to everything else. A half-assed attempt he thinks is genius.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Where was it that Alex Jones' lawyers tried to claim that the money was tied up in a company owned by a mysterious individual known only by the initials AEJ and the prosecution asked what Alex Jones' middle name was?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 4, 2022

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Yeah, the latest update on the Bankruptcy case was the judge saying "you know what, you're not competent to run any of your own companies, their finances are all controlled by a court-appointed third party now."
"Also, your personal finances are indistinguishable from your companies' finances so we're treating them as the same thing."

Also damages are normally capped in the state, UNLESS you fall afoul of specific fraud infractions, which Alex has done. So damages are uncapped.

It has not been the best month of Alex Jones' life I think.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I can't believe jones went to ACC. What a moron. I went to UT so I can deride these people legally.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Randalor posted:

Where was it that Alex Jones' lawyers tried to claim that the money was tied up in a company owned by a mysterious individual known only by the initials ABJ and the prosecution asked what Alex Jones' middle name was?

Bemerick?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, you can't expect me to spend 10 seconds to Google Alex Jones' full name. That's 10 seconds longer than he spends looking up facts for anything on his show.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Speaking of bankruptcy, FSS has requested the appointment of a retired CPA by the name of Patrick McGill to take over as Chief Restructuring Officer - the job that Mark Schwartz was not allowed to do. The US Trustee has blessed this appointment, so the judge will likely grant it. We should see reports of financial status and such start coming not long after said appointment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Not exactly. OJ bought a massive mansion in FL as a shelter for his money. Jones has attempted to move cash into various trusts in the name of himself, his parents, and his kids. There is state court litigation aimed at unwinding these transactions and the bankruptcy court is looking into PQPR and the massive member draws specifically.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlHnbGUggg

Nothing yet

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Speaking of bankruptcy, FSS has requested the appointment of a retired CPA by the name of Patrick McGill to take over as Chief Restructuring Officer - the job that Mark Schwartz was not allowed to do. The US Trustee has blessed this appointment, so the judge will likely grant it. We should see reports of financial status and such start coming not long after said appointment.

Will these be in public filings?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KitConstantine posted:

Will these be in public filings?

Should be, yes.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not exactly. OJ bought a massive mansion in FL as a shelter for his money. Jones has attempted to move cash into various trusts in the name of himself, his parents, and his kids. There is state court litigation aimed at unwinding these transactions and the bankruptcy court is looking into PQPR and the massive member draws specifically.

The phrase "show the receipts" has always been sort of glib, but if we could actually see the literal receipts of those transactions it would make my loving year so much better.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Should be, yes.

Could you provide the link to the docket for the bankruptcy case? It might be worthwhile to add to the OP as this develops more and I can't ever remember the specific court name :sweatdrop:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Unknown when Alex will testify, but probably tomorrow apparently?

EDIT: Oh apparently Jones is indeed at the trial and Pattis is informing the Judge that Jones will be holding a press conference and he wants the Judge to know he has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Looks like tomorrow, yes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“The default is a lie”

This is going to be a week.

Oh boy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KitConstantine posted:

Could you provide the link to the docket for the bankruptcy case? It might be worthwhile to add to the OP as this develops more and I can't ever remember the specific court name :sweatdrop:

Courtlistener.com is amazing for following federal court dockets. Their recap archive is built on people who have PACER accounts running their plugin when they access pacer and download documents.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/64868456/free-speech-systems-llc/

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

teen witch posted:

“The default is a lie”

This is going to be a week.

Oh boy

So Jones basically lost it (somehow even more) since last Friday, between this and is comments about Sandy Hook being synthetic?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

OneMoreTime posted:

EDIT: Oh apparently Jones is indeed at the trial and Pattis is informing the Judge that Jones will be holding a press conference and he wants the Judge to know he has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Seriously? What did he say? "Your honour my client is a loving moron and doing this, please don't hold it against me."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

OneMoreTime posted:

Unknown when Alex will testify, but probably tomorrow apparently?

As in 'my client is going to do something incredibly stupid and I can't stop him and I don't represent this, please don't hold me responsible for the actions of the person I agreed to represent for a large amount of money'?

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
...oh my god, he really went there.

So yeah. With that INSANE loving sentence, this is probably going to be taught in every defamation class lesson ever. For so many reasons.

I just don't understand how the gently caress ANY OF THIS is going to work in Jones' head. Perhaps it's the "mind of a delusional defendant" thing, but to everyone who looks at this as an academic study (as objectively as you can), are any of your professors/former teachers having aneurysms from this?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Outrail posted:

As in 'my client is going to do something incredibly stupid and I can't stop him and I don't represent this, please don't hold me responsible for the actions of the person I agreed to represent for a large amount of money'?

Well, yeah. Pattis doesn't want to get sanctioned personally more than he probably will at the end for everything else.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

ilmucche posted:

Seriously? What did he say? "Your honour my client is a loving moron and doing this, please don't hold it against me."

Yes. Pattis brought it up specifically in side bar because he wanted the Judge to know he just found out his intentions and that he essentially didn't sanction it nor had any involvement in it, and specifically gave details such as Jones noting that he believes the default is a lie as some examples of what to expect. Serious rear end covering from Pattis.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Faust IX posted:

...oh my god, he really went there.

So yeah. With that INSANE loving sentence, this is probably going to be taught in every defamation class lesson ever. For so many reasons.

I just don't understand how the gently caress ANY OF THIS is going to work in Jones' head. Perhaps it's the "mind of a delusional defendant" thing, but to everyone who looks at this as an academic study (as objectively as you can), are any of your professors/former teachers having aneurysms from this?

Jones doesn't care. He thinks he's fine because the bankruptcy is going to shield him, and he's making more money every day now than he was before the first verdict.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Randalor posted:

Where was it that Alex Jones' lawyers tried to claim that the money was tied up in a company owned by a mysterious individual known only by the initials AEJ and the prosecution asked what Alex Jones' middle name was?

I'm very certain it was one of the more recent, if n ot THE most recent deposition episode (6 or 7) where the plaintiff (? or plaintiff's reps. Mark and Bill, regardless) asked the person being deposed, which i'm 90% sure was Paz, what "AEJ Holdings" stood for.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Kid had perfect pitch. That...that poo poo hurts to hear, as someone with relative perfect pitch to Bb.

Today is going to hurt.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fuccccck me this testimony hurts every part of me that's a person with empathy.

gently caress

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Faust IX posted:

Today is going to hurt.

Ok I was going to ask if todays testimony was parents or someone else and now I know the answer! I know the parents testimony is important and I want them all to get every penny they deserve but I just can't.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I do hope that all of this is studied, and not just from a legal standpoint.

Because how the gently caress do so many willingly participate in tormenting those who lost someone before their time, to gun violence, many of them parents of dead kids. How do you follow someone into doing that. What happened, what is WRONG, because that is asocial and concerning behavior.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Christ, Pattis is going to be a nightmare in cross now that Obama's been brought up. Even if he's objected to every step of the way, it is going to be a nightmare.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Christ, Pattis is going to be a nightmare in cross now that Obama's been brought up. Even if he's objected to every step of the way, it is going to be a nightmare.

It seemed deliberate to cut him off at the pass, so to speak. Pattis has often attempted to bring up Obama/politics regardless and the Judge has allowed it previously so maybe that's the reason?

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Wait, she successfully pulled off the Streisand-Effect and got herself removed from search engines?

....oh. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

"And then i googled myself....and then I watched them all. Every Alex Jones video."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SHE GOT CALLED AN ACTOR AT A SUPPORT GROUP FOR MOMS WHO LOST KIDS TO GUN VIOLENCE gently caress THIS gently caress EVERYTHIN gently caress YOU gently caress ME gently caress THE WORLD

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Glad I'm not listening.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

SHE GOT CALLED AN ACTOR AT A SUPPORT GROUP FOR MOMS WHO LOST KIDS TO GUN VIOLENCE gently caress THIS gently caress EVERYTHIN gently caress YOU gently caress ME gently caress THE WORLD

By another mother who's son was killed.

The levels of hosed up are astonishing

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
...I didn't think I could get that visceral gutpunch feeling I had just hearing that. I thought I've grown numb to pretty much everything on the internet that could be considered shocking.

And then a member of a support group of mothers who lost kids to gun violence just had either an existential break in the elevator ride (which is hell on its own), or literally did not believe.

And of course Norm asks about the 2nd amendment and gun-owning rights instead of focusing on the fact that his client somehow convinced a mom who had lost her son to a shooting a few weeks prior that one of the Sandy Hook mothers was literally a crisis actor and got her to say it in her face in an elevator at a convention for grieving and traumatized mothers of gun violence.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah I tuned in for that and immediately turned it off. What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

goatface posted:

Glad I'm not listening.

Same. It's my birthday today and I'm checking out from the heartbreak.