Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for some bizarre reason the version of Steam Link that Valve have in the Steam store is outdated and won't work on a lot of Macs but if you grab it from the Mac App store, it works perfectly :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I was "into" PC gaming for roughly a decade between 1993-2003 and ended up bailing on it for a few reasons, one of which is that I used a laptop exclusively for years and didn't want a "gaming laptop". So I was (am) peripherally aware of the controversies around HL2 and Steam, but I never realized they actually sold HL2 on disc for PC.

So if you bought HL2 on disc you needed to be online anyways? Updates were through Steam? How frequently did physical games ship with a Steam/launcher requirement? Was that "Games for Windows" nonsense free of it?

The other side of digital distribution is that, back in 2004 there were very real concerns about not actually "owning" anything and services could go belly-up at any time. Which, frankly, many services did.

I only started purchasing digital content when sales made them so cheap I couldn't really care about their long term viability--things like Humble Bundles and mobile games before that market went to complete trash. Even now I don't really like purchasing Nintendo games digitally, even though I've bought plenty on the eShop, becuase Nintendo has twice now nuked their past digital stores and there's no assurances they won't do it again.

In this context, that Steam has been operating for nearly two decades without a "do over" and titles purchased back in 2004 are still supported, it's outlived the longevity of many physical media formats, even.

I feel like HL2 was once sold without a disc, and you just were buying the Steam code for it. I can't totally confirm because I had only bought HL1, but when I did, I remember needing to validate it through steam using the disc, and continually needing the disc to play.

Fuckin' PC gaming in TYOOL 2004 was weird, specifically because it was in that time between 'buy the disc' and 'own it digitally'. And you're absolutely right; it WAS thought of as risky and bad to only have a digital copy of a game.

Nowadays, especially through Steam, and thankfully GoG, that kind of worry is essentially gone, at least from the pc space.

I'd worry about my numerous eshop purchases, but by the time they shut down the Wii Shop (never had a WiiU), I didn't care about any exclusives there anyway. Maybe the current iteration of the eshop will last longer, perhaps perpetually, since it's not just offering little indie games (like what was on Wiiware), but full priced AAA titles as well? It might be too early to tell, but I know this; my desire to own the next Nintendo console will rest heavily on whether or not it's backwards compatible with the Switch.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Tweak posted:

I dont remember what dumb reason I had for not wanting to use steam when it first came out but I needed it to play CS with the boys so alas it was necessary

It was a crash happy piece of poo poo back then. Also everyone hated CS:Source because of the Steam requirement

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Scrolling through nextfest on my pc - was there a way to direct it to download to the steamdeck? I'm sure that used to be a thing. From the website version maybe?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe the current iteration of the eshop will last longer, perhaps perpetually, since it's not just offering little indie games (like what was on Wiiware), but full priced AAA titles as well?
They're shutting down the Wii U and 3DS eShop though. And those have all but like two physical-exclusive releases.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tweak posted:

I dont remember what dumb reason I had for not wanting to use steam when it first came out but I needed it to play CS with the boys so alas it was necessary

Steam: the eternal gaming home for CS with the Boys.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Steam: the eternal gaming home for CS with the Boys.

This but TFC.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just picked up Little Nightmares 2 for a spooky bedtime game. Seems like a perfect fit for the deck.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1577342845542756352
Anyone play Deathloop on this thing?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone play the Escapist series?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

CBD Corndog posted:

It was a crash happy piece of poo poo back then. Also everyone hated CS:Source because of the Steam requirement

And you had to be Online to be able to switch to Offline mode. Genius. When I moved house, I had to hack my new neighbour's wifi to be able to switch to offline and play Skyrim as the phone/ISP company was predictably taking its sweet time. And yes, of course, I could have just asked, but where's the fun in that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was 12 when HL2 came out and I remember crying because Steam was a massive pile of poo poo and it genuinely took 14 hours to install and update steam over our 56k connection.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I bought it but then it went it on gamepass and I'd rather use the Xbox. Dishonored worked well on it so I don't imagine any issues

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have an HDMI > USB C adapter hooked up to my tv. When I plug the adapter end into the Deck either the tv freezes up, the Deck freezes up, the Deck stops rendering half of its screen, or all of the above. What's the deal?

e: Got it to work once by doing nothing different v:v:v

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 4, 2022

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

eddiewalker posted:

I’ve been playing Splatoon with gyro, online on the actual Nintendo servers with my actual Nintendo ID.

How? Everything I'm reading says you can't do this yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your adapter might not have the bandwidth that the Deck is trying to push out to the TV.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

How? Everything I'm reading says you can't do this yet.

I believe they said in Disc that it's Splatoon on CEMU which, apparently, allows for online play.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sigher posted:

Your adapter might not have the bandwidth that the Deck is trying to push out to the TV.

Hmm, it says it's 4k60, but I'll double check everything and see. It worked once, at least

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

I have an HDMI > USB C adapter hooked up to my tv. When I plug the adapter end into the Deck either the tv freezes up, the Deck freezes up, the Deck stops rendering half of its screen, or all of the above. What's the deal?
Surprisingly, poo poo's finicky. My monitor wouldn't connect to my Deck until I did unplug-plug power cycle. Not even a factory reset through the OSD made it work.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Got it to work once by doing nothing different v:v:v

Are you using the charger that came with the deck or another one? If it's a different one might just not be enough power

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I figured it out lol, it was working but the defaults were to an odd resolution and if it wasn't already on that input the monitor would freeze

Got it sorted now

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

XenoCrab posted:

I've seen a couple people mention wanting/needing a dock or installing some remote desktop software to make it easier to do desktop stuff on Deck and I just wanted to remind everyone that Valve makes a version of Steam Link that runs on Windows, Mac and Linux PCs (and also phones). This is exclusively what I've used for remote connecting to my Deck and it is definitely the easiest and best software I've used for providing a seamless & smooth remote desktop and I would recommend that everyone try it first before anything else.

-Link that provides downloads for all platforms https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay#anywhere
-Direct link to the Windows version https://media.steampowered.com/steamlink/windows/latest/SteamLink.zip

Note that you don't need Steam installed on the computer that you're using Steam Link on and it's not just (or even primarily) for using the Steam Deck in desktop mode. If you connect to the Deck in gaming mode you can play your games and even on my crappy Wifi network the latency is low enough to play platformers or action games. I think the only downside I've found is that it doesn't let you do copy & pasting of files between your client computer and the Deck the way some other remote control programs might.

This is great, thanks for sharing. I don't ever plan to use a dock (rarely play my switch docked either) but man is it nice to set up stuff with a real keyboard and mouse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there seriously no way to return a joystick to Joystick Move after you edit it in a config other than using another config that also had one? What the hell is this menu?

e: That said thank god everyone is better with this menu than me so I can save local copies and tweak it for all these games

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 4, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone is interested that swap file adjustment definitely fixed RDR2.

I get a nice pretty stable 40fps with higher quality settings. Everything set to medium but textures to high.

Also the benchmark doesn’t crash anymore which it would do prior to adjusting the swap file.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 4, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah and someone try out overwatch 2 and see how it goes. I might need to finally get the blizzard launcher installed on this thing for it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there seriously no way to return a joystick to Joystick Move after you edit it in a config other than using another config that also had one? What the hell is this menu?
Are you talking about Steam Input? There's an option to revert the config to the one you downloaded/official one.

If you're making changes in Desktop Steam I don't know if they fixed it, but it's true they don't have an online template for the default Deck controls. You either have to save your own or futz around with copying files (the template is sorted locally) and pray it syncs. Maybe they fixed this though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah and someone try out overwatch 2 and see how it goes. I might need to finally get the blizzard launcher installed on this thing for it.

Two hours after launch you get into a 15-20 minute queue of about 40000, and when you're up, the game throws generic server error message.

On your couch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are you talking about Steam Input? There's an option to revert the config to the one you downloaded/official one.

If you're making changes in Desktop Steam I don't know if they fixed it, but it's true they don't have an online template for the default Deck controls. You either have to save your own or futz around with copying files (the template is sorted locally) and pray it syncs. Maybe they fixed this though.

It took me like three hard resets to realize that Desktop mode doesn't really care about the back buttons (where I mapped basically everything Retroarch would use to open menus or close lmao). Annoying to get working but works fine once it is. Slowly getting the DS windows apart now too lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Desktop mode will use the back buttons if you bind them, it probably wasn't using your retroarch map though unless you opened it from big picture mode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

Desktop mode will use the back buttons if you bind them, it probably wasn't using your retroarch map though unless you opened it from big picture mode.

Weird, it seemed like once the core launched they stopped getting recognized, but I launched in desktop mode so was just using my general one

I must be screwing up something here, at least I have it registering its menu now

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Angryhead posted:

Anyone play Deathloop on this thing?

Yep, default options weren't my thing so I did some tweaking and included the game's FSR and can get it running at a decent frame rate. Remaining problem is that it takes forever to check for online so probably best to play the game offline to drastically reduce load times.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
What's the best ARPG to play on the Deck? I'm going through The Ascent currently and it sort of hits that vibe, but I really want a more loot based/trash mob farming something. Something you can pick up, run a dungeon, go do something else.

D2R has controller support right? D3 with custom controls? D3 Switch Emulated? Something else?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Athanatos posted:

What's the best ARPG to play on the Deck? I'm going through The Ascent currently and it sort of hits that vibe, but I really want a more loot based/trash mob farming something. Something you can pick up, run a dungeon, go do something else.

D2R has controller support right? D3 with custom controls? D3 Switch Emulated? Something else?

Haven't tried it on the Steam Deck yet but Minecraft Dungeons is actually surprisingly good in spite of the IP it's attached to

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you don't mind online only, Path of Exile plays really well on the deck. If not, probably Grim Dawn?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Tweak posted:

Same, which is why my steam account turned 19 two weeks ago. I celebrated it turning 18 last year by sharing a beer with it and reflecting on the fact that you can practice the same game for nearly 2 decades and get actively get worse at it over that time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

homeless snail posted:

If you don't mind online only, Path of Exile plays really well on the deck. If not, probably Grim Dawn?

I am strongly resisting loading PoE onto my deck because I like to sleep occasionally.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That point where Valve gave away Portal for free was when I created my Steam account, so it's like 12-13 years old IIRC.

EDIT: Steam says May 2010, so I guess a little over 12 years old at this point.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 4, 2022

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Athanatos posted:

Joking / not-joking but Vampire Survivors and Brotato scratch this itch in a real condensed/streamlined way.

Especially Brotato, which gives you enough information in advance of making choices to make them feel like decisions.

Not that the hyper-condensed approach is for everyone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Path of Exile plays like a dream with native controller support. Too bad it's Path of Exile.

I wish I could play the console version of Diablo 3 (with controller support) on this stupid thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anyone tried Chronicon on the Deck? I wonder if the text would be too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

drrockso20 posted:

Haven't tried it on the Steam Deck yet but Minecraft Dungeons is actually surprisingly good in spite of the IP it's attached to

This is a great suggestion!

homeless snail posted:

Grim Dawn is one I have my eye on, was looking up how it works with a controller. Seems...playable.

jokes posted:

I wish I could play the console version of Diablo 3 (with controller support) on this stupid thing.

Yuzu game list says the switch emulation of diablo 3 plays "great"