Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

FaradayCage posted:

Gotcha. How do you stay informed of when they offer factory seconds or damaged boxes? Are they posted under promotions? Do you just check it daily?

There’s a website that you use to sign up for a listserv which then alerts you to the sales. I don’t have the link handy, but someone usually posts the link itt most times when the sales start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
thanks again for that link, btw. I got a massive stainless kettle for like $50 from their last sale

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man I miss Japan

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7148235044451044609

In 2006 while visiting Tokyo I bought some melty chocolates and the clerk asked if I was going straight to my hotel or if I was going to keep touristing around. When I told him I was still sightseeing he put my bag under the counter and then gave it to me. While going around on the bus I noticed that my shopping bag had formed frost on the outside. He’d put some dry ice in my bag.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Man I miss Japan

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7148235044451044609

In 2006 while visiting Tokyo I bought some melty chocolates and the clerk asked if I was going straight to my hotel or if I was going to keep touristing around. When I told him I was still sightseeing he put my bag under the counter and then gave it to me. While going around on the bus I noticed that my shopping bag had formed frost on the outside. He’d put some dry ice in my bag.

Where I'm at, the supermarket keeps the dry ice under lock and key.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
you have to be 18+ to buy it in... the US? my state anyway.

in my experience the fish and meat people will always ask if you need ice at Whole Foods, but it's just boring old regular ice

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I stopped liking B&D toaster ovens after the internal wiring shorted to the chassis and it shocked me repeatedly before I figured out it what was happening

bear in mind that i also repeatedly touched my finger to the capacitor of a disposable camera around the same age before I figured out what was happening, so

anyway point is, i don't trust B&D toaster ovens

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Are blenders an appliance where you have to pay Vitamix prices to get Vitamix results? I have a Ninja. It is pretty bad beyond frozen fruit. I also make cashew based sauces, oat milk and an occasional puree.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Are blenders an appliance where you have to pay Vitamix prices to get Vitamix results? I have a Ninja. It is pretty bad beyond frozen fruit. I also make cashew based sauces, oat milk and an occasional puree.
You can occasionally pick up refurb ones for a substantial discount so you're probably better off holding out for that then spending almost as much on a blendtec or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Pretty much if you’re buying new. Vitamix and Blendtec seem to be in classes of their own. Refurbs are an option, and sometimes Costco has some good vitamix deal iirc. Either way it will be the last blender you buy.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The top end breville seems to offer a meaningful in-between in the vitamix/blendtec>the rest paradigm fwiw. Also cleanblend for Aussie branded knockoff vitamixes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sextro posted:

The top end breville seems to offer a meaningful in-between in the vitamix/blendtec>the rest paradigm fwiw. Also cleanblend for Aussie branded knockoff vitamixes.

I used to have the $200 Breville hemisphere blender (which they seem to have rebranded as the Fresh & Furious) and it was good but clearly not as good as Vitamix/Blendtec. The overheating shutoff was better because it had an indicator light and neat innovations like the round bottom for circulation but the motor wasn’t strong enough to liquefy like the pro blenders

They soon came out with The Boss Blender which was in the same tier as Vitamix/Blendtec, and has several others now in what they call a group of “super blenders”

Unfortunately they seem to have doubled in price to $700-1000 over the last 7-8 years :eyepop:

Might as well just get a Vitamix from Costco

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 3, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol $1000 blender

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

some people basically live out of their blender, it makes sense for them

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wheeee posted:

They are commercial devices first and foremost, designed to be run all day every day for years at a time. They've only relatively recently entered the consumer conscience

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

yea and now instead of smoothie addicts having to replace their $100-200 blenders every year or two they can just buy a $700 blender once

consumer goods these days are all almost insanely cheaply built pieces of poo poo, the trend of commercial grade kitchen equipment coming to the consumer market has been a good thing

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Wheeee posted:

This is why I don't buy Oster products anymore, the blenders specifically wind up sparking and smoking when I use them, I got a decent immersion blender for tomato sauces and a ninja thingy for smoothies.

Also thank you guys for the recommendations for the Aroma rice cooker. It works amazing. I have used it 5 times already. I also got a new Hamilton Beach microwave (that I don't think I asked about here), It's a 900w to replace my 13yo 730w GE, so I am going to have to re-learn how to reheat things that are not in a really old microwave the was probably under powered from being old.

Oh and my Black and Decker toast oven is supposed to come tomorrow, my spouse is excited because it convection(?) and has an air fry setting.

You know what "they" say, problems come in 3s

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nunsexmonkrock posted:

This is why I don't buy Oster products anymore, the blenders specifically wind up sparking and smoking when I use them, I got a decent immersion blender for tomato sauces and a ninja thingy for smoothies.

Also thank you guys for the recommendations for the Aroma rice cooker. It works amazing. I have used it 5 times already. I also got a new Hamilton Beach microwave (that I don't think I asked about here), It's a 900w to replace my 13yo 730w GE, so I am going to have to re-learn how to reheat things that are not in a really old microwave the was probably under powered from being old.

Oh and my Black and Decker toast oven is supposed to come tomorrow, my spouse is excited because it convection(?) and has an air fry setting.

You know what "they" say, problems come in 3s

You'll have to figure out the specific ratios/%s for your toaster oven, but I find that I need to reduce cooking time by about 25% (sometimes more) or I'll burn my food compared to what I'd do in non-convection. Mine is 10+ years and and probably doesn't run as hot, or I'd lower the temp as well.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

You'll have to figure out the specific ratios/%s for your toaster oven, but I find that I need to reduce cooking time by about 25% (sometimes more) or I'll burn my food compared to what I'd do in non-convection. Mine is 10+ years and and probably doesn't run as hot, or I'd lower the temp as well.

It turns out it is also a Hamilton Beach, just looks very similar to my old black and decker, but for crappy ellios pizzas for when being lazy with my old one I would have to preheat 25 degrees above then move the temp down after preheating. Cook it for 10ish minutes, flip it around and cook it for 10ish more minutes. Too much work for a lazy drunk day. Just the first couple times I will probably just stand there and watch it with the stop watch on my phone running. I think target sent us an updated model because it looks similar but has a removable pull out crumb tray in the front.

Oh gosh, when I lived with my grandmother somewhere around 20 or more years ago she had a much larger convection, and now I remember it did cook food quicker so thank you for reminding me!

E: My grandmothers was more of an actual tabletop convection oven, it didn't do toast.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 4, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Looking to buy a super expensive rice cooker. Aways had zojirushis in the pst and they some really crazy new mode that came out this year that i am looking at. But then i saw cuckoo brand and their higher end ones have pressure cooking alongside them? These seem like they could replace a separate pressure cooker while hitting higher pressure too. The only thing they lack is a searing or sauteing function, which is fine. Theres very little information on them, in english at least. Does anyone have experience with these?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

barkbell posted:

Looking to buy a super expensive rice cooker. Aways had zojirushis in the pst and they some really crazy new mode that came out this year that i am looking at. But then i saw cuckoo brand and their higher end ones have pressure cooking alongside them? These seem like they could replace a separate pressure cooker while hitting higher pressure too. The only thing they lack is a searing or sauteing function, which is fine. Theres very little information on them, in english at least. Does anyone have experience with these?

I’ve got a fairly fancy cuckoo one and i wouldn’t say it can replace an instant pot, or at least I have and use both. Might be ok for grains and legumes but the capacity is very small compared to even the 6qt IP. Makes great rice though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

barkbell posted:

I kinda think you may be coming at this from the wrong direction, or at least the opposite direction. What I mean is that the classic instant pot cooks rice very well and also is a fantastic pressure cooker with all those functions you mentioned. I also suspect it's cheaper than a high end rice cooker. The only thing I'm not sure the instant pot would do better is keeping rice warm/not dry over a long period of time, as the zojirushi machines do and likely the cuckoo as well. Maybe that's your use case but for me as someone who doesn't make rice in the AM and then eat from that all day it would make more sense to use the instant pot and a seperate rice cooker if I needed one at all (I do, and it's a zoji).

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
for me at least, having your rice and pressure cooker be the same device is difficult if only for the fact that so many dishes that you can pressure cook are really good to eat with rice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

is that good posted:

for me at least, having your rice and pressure cooker be the same device is difficult if only for the fact that so many dishes that you can pressure cook are really good to eat with rice

I vaguely recall Dino would cook food in a bowl sitting inside his rice in a pressure cooker. Anyone else remember the specifics to that?

Alternatively I would cook a buttload of rice and freeze portions of it in ziplock bags. Microwave from frozen for 90 seconds with a wet paper towel to steam it and it’s good for a single meal

Option #3 is to have two instant pots. That way they can pinch hit as pressure cookers, crock pots, rice cookers, etc

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

hypnophant posted:

I’ve got a fairly fancy cuckoo one and i wouldn’t say it can replace an instant pot, or at least I have and use both. Might be ok for grains and legumes but the capacity is very small compared to even the 6qt IP. Makes great rice though.

I agree with this. I my cuckoo is probably the best rice cooker that I've owned so far. I've had it for about 2 years and notice no significant signs of wear. I even think the rice that I make turns out better too.

I used to have a roommate that had a cuckoo rice cooker and it would sing to me in Korean whenever rice was ready. Unfortunately, I don't think the American models have this feature.

mystes
May 31, 2006

barkbell posted:

I feel like the biggest problem with this is just that most stuff you want to pressure cook is going to be too big to fit in most rice cookers

Unless you need some really specific mode on a rice cooker or have zero space where you're living you would be better off just buying a $20 rice cooker and an instant pot than buying a fancy rice cooker with a pressure cooker mode

Steve Yun posted:

Option #3 is to have two instant pots. That way they can pinch hit as pressure cookers, crock pots, rice cookers, etc
I don't see the point of two instant pots since even a cheap rice cooker will get better results for basic white rice than an instant pot, and otoh if you really need pressure cooking for faster brown rice or something you can just use the one instant pot you have rather than the rice cooker

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 5, 2022

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

I vaguely recall Dino would cook food in a bowl sitting inside his rice in a pressure cooker. Anyone else remember the specifics to that?

Alternatively I would cook a buttload of rice and freeze portions of it in ziplock bags. Microwave from frozen for 90 seconds with a wet paper towel to steam it and it’s good for a single meal

You can def make rice inside a bowl on top of a trivet in your pressure cooker, but you gotta make sure the other stuff in there and the rice want the same amount of time under pressure.

I like having both an instant pot and a rice cooker because I can make the rice ahead of time and let it keep warm for me so I don't have to stress about things finishing at the same time.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bodhidharma posted:

I agree with this. I my cuckoo is probably the best rice cooker that I've owned so far. I've had it for about 2 years and notice no significant signs of wear. I even think the rice that I make turns out better too.

I used to have a roommate that had a cuckoo rice cooker and it would sing to me in Korean whenever rice was ready. Unfortunately, I don't think the American models have this feature.

mine does english korean or chinese

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The problem is really that fancy rice cookers aren’t that much better than regular ones, so you might as well pour the money somewhere else in your kitchen.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
This gaba stuff and open cooking modes seem dope

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vegetable posted:

The problem is really that fancy rice cookers aren’t that much better than regular ones, so you might as well pour the money somewhere else in your kitchen.

I disagree fwiw. Fuzzy really helps and that's only in the low 100 range. I can only imagine how amazing the fuzzy, induction, variable pressure ones are.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

weird to come at any problem with "i want to buy a really expensive one" tbh

mystes
May 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You must be new to human psychology

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just looked into these cuckoos and after seeing the spread of $50 to $550 I think I can safely say I do not want the most expensive one. Where do the diminishing returns kick in?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Just looked into these cuckoos and after seeing the spread of $50 to $550 I think I can safely say I do not want the most expensive one. Where do the diminishing returns kick in?

Where ever the microchipped models start. It’s be the Micom/Fuzzy logic stuff with Zoji. Not sure what the equivalent jargon is for Cuckoo.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I love my Zojirushi NHS-10, they make a larger 10-cup version too. Amazing basic analog cooker.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wheeee posted:

I love my Zojirushi NHS-10, they make a larger 10-cup version too. Amazing basic analog cooker.

I have the 3-cup model of this and really like it. I appreciate that the lid isn't part of the machine itself, which makes it easier to clean and easier to store cooked rice.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

After saying it was the top priority for the last two years after buying my house, I finally ran gas pipe and installed a dual fuel oven. This is the first convection oven I’ve had but I have used them in the past. This one has a “no preheat air fry” setting that I’m not sure what to do with. I have a tube style deep fryer and don’t care about fat intake so approximating deep fried goods does not interest me. From what I can tell it’s just a high velocity convention oven with a stupid name. But that seems like a process that may be awesome on lean game meats or small veg like green beans or asparagus. Any suggestions for things where this process actually outperforms a more commonplace one?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have the 3-cup model of this and really like it. I appreciate that the lid isn't part of the machine itself, which makes it easier to clean and easier to store cooked rice.

Yea I don't eat a lot of rice but having a quality rice cooker is so worth, that thing does a better job than is possible on a stovetop even with constant babysitting.

tonedef131 posted:

From what I can tell it’s just a high velocity convention oven with a stupid name.

That's exactly what it is, the original pod style airfryer has a shaped interior to duct airflow through stacked food in a way that normal convection ovens can't, 'air fryer' convection ovens have a faster convection setting with in some cases more direct airflow, but it's basically just convection mode+ rather than something functionally unique.

I still miss the gas range with convection oven my last place had.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 5, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You ever tried to use the cheapest jumper cables they sell at Walmart? Garden hoses? Penis pumps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

You ever tried to use the cheapest jumper cables they sell at Walmart? Garden hoses? Penis pumps?

yea I sympathize with the poster you’re quoting but most consumer goods are disposable trash, and while price is no guarantee of quality it remains unfortunately true that the good stuff is almost always relatively expensive