Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Terminal autist posted:

Ive been on a gundam kick and just finished IBO which is excellent and wondering what to start next. I know seed is generally pretty disliked but is 00 any good? I remember watching it went it was airing but barely remember anything.

G Gundam or the original Mobile Suit Gundam would be my nominations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the Good Female Characters gundams? i can think of specific female characters that i like but the way the show they're in treats them/other women always makes me hesitant to say "oh yeah ibo has great female characters" or w/e

Fumina was allowed to be really cool for about 1.5 episodes!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Atra gets better in IBO around the time she decides to actually help fight the good fight instead of just following Mika around because of her crush.

I quite like Mineva in Unicorn but Narrative didn't do much to endear me to her now that she's holding onto blackmail information and sending her boy toy out to do covert Ops poo poo.

And horrible edgy backstory aside, Marida Cruz is the best quad winged angel.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 4, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the problem with recommending ibo in this context is how rapidly i'd need to start walking things back the moment naze shows up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Turbines are just where Mari Okada puts some weird non-standard relationship dynamic in your face and goes "hey what do you think about this" without explicitly promoting or condoning anything like she does every time she works on something

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

MonsterEnvy posted:

Have you started Witch from Mercury?

Yeah thats what started my marathon of IBO, its a great show so far at least.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Terminal autist posted:

Ive been on a gundam kick and just finished IBO which is excellent and wondering what to start next. I know seed is generally pretty disliked but is 00 any good? I remember watching it went it was airing but barely remember anything.
turn a... gundam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

The Turbines are just where Mari Okada puts some weird non-standard relationship dynamic in your face and goes "hey what do you think about this" without explicitly promoting or condoning anything like she does every time she works on something

yeah i don't want to try to explain how the cool mobster with his harem of women is actually a deep intellectual look into nonstandard family relationships and not someone's poorly disguised fetish

i just do not see that ending well in a real time interaction with another human

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

RevolverDivider posted:

Victory is trash garbage that people latch onto to make themselves seem intelligent, it's the signature move of several posters in this thread.

Seed is fine and watchable, Destiny starts off with promise but devolves into trash, 00S1 is fantastic, 00S2 has some cool moments but squanders the uniqueness of S1 horribly and is mostly bad.
victory has good animation good characters good designs and a fast moving if batshit plot

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Odelo is my boy

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
save Turn A for once you get tired of bad, weird, sor disappointimgly uneven series and it will restore your faith in Gundam

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Monkey's paw curls and Reccoa gets a following instead of Chara Soon and Haman.

If that's the worst the monkey's paw can do then I'll take it, seeing as how Reccoa is a more interesting character than either Chara or Haman.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Odelo is the only good character in Victory and the only good designs are the base V1 and V2 and the Gunblasters. Every single upgrade of the V2 looks like dogshit.

Also lol the two people I expected Kramer in immediately to defend victory's honor

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you know i don't think anyone defended it

EDIT: ok the tails butthole guy did

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
one of my fondest memories of this franchise is being in a family mart near ikebukuro like, the day before the final episode of IBO dropped, and the second ending song was playing on the radio

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Javelin is criminally underappreciated as a gm design. Even by its own series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Odelo is the only good character in Victory and the only good designs are the base V1 and V2 and the Gunblasters. Every single upgrade of the V2 looks like dogshit.

Also lol the two people I expected Kramer in immediately to defend victory's honor

Be brave enough to name names if you're gonna do this!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ninjewtsu posted:

victory does sound like trash garbage but i suspect people may have reasons for enjoying it that aren't "wanting to look smart"

I watched it because I wanted to watch all of the gundams. It has some good music and a handful of good designs but the overall story is stupid and bad. I don't regret watching it or anything but I sure as hell don't see myself rewatching it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hate it when people kramer into the gundam thread to say they like a gundam

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Victory has the best haro. SEED has the worst

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chiasaur11 posted:

I've also got a bad feeling about Witch, and hope I'm wrong. I'm just feeling kind of how I did when Fire Emblem Fates came out, where there's a new hyper popular installment in a series I like, and the surface is really shiny and cool... but there's a lot of problems a couple layers down, and they seem like they'll rot things throughout.

Weird comparison. Witch From Mercury is clearly Three Houses, not Fates. School setting, war is clearly going to break out eventually, bisexual secondary protagonist, hell, it even has three important houses (plus a fourth).

Motto posted:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

this thread rushed to defend victory's honor with only the most powerful of backhanded compliments

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In terms of female characters that I think are cool, Roux, Rain and Relena come to mind. Maybe I just like the letter R though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wish relena was in more episodes of wing so "relena is the actual main character of wing" could hold up at least somewhat under scrutiny

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Cagalli's pretty good if you pretend that Destiny doesn't exist. And I say this as someone who hates SEED outside of Astray.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I watched 5 or 6 episodes of 00 and I was misremembering this show as seed for some reason. Its not bad or anything but coming straight off IBO and WfM it feels sort of disjointed and stiff. Probably gonna pick up Turn A and Thunderbolt instead of finishing it. The first OP is a bop though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ash Like Snow is also a good 00 opening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

That doesn't work when the characters are the blessed saints of the show and it even tries to walk things back to make it less overtly loving creepy. You can't say "without explicitly promoting or condoning" when the characters are probably the healthiest group in the entire show and everyone thinks they are awesome.

You can make the argument for example Akatsuki's parents but no, the show thinks the Turbines are great and the fact it had to retreat from "Actually maybe Naze wasn't impregnating everyone on the ship, just a lot of them" shows that. At very best it was a poor attempt to show a combination woman's shelter/harem where people in the shelter also happened to be in a relationship with the owner and didn't seem to remotely consider how creepy that was considering the show has zero interest in presenting Naze Turbine as anything but the kindest person in the universe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 5, 2022

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I know IBO is a dark show but the whole turban polycule recruiting young vunerable girls and Mcgillis backstory felt out of place and were pretty uncomfortable in a otherwise great show.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

atra seeing the turbines and going "woah that's awesome i want to be a harem girl too" also kinda runs counter to the whole "without explicitly promoting or condoning" thing, in addition to poisoning the well on what's otherwise a kinda neat character arc

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Victory is a series I have no desire to watch again but the details stick with me better than 80-90% of the Gundam shows I really liked and will rewatch. No idea why other than I watched it at the height of the 2020 lockdowns and I genuinely enjoyed the wild ride that Katejina's character development took.

Finished G-Gundam so now I'll move on to IBO. After IBO it's just AGE and G-Reco and then'll finally be done with watching all the non-Build and not currently airing Gundam shows.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
:mad: this man has never liked a gundam in his exceptionally long life

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't work when the characters are the blessed saints of the show and it even tries to walk things back to make it less overtly loving creepy. You can't say "without explicitly promoting or condoning" when the characters are probably the healthiest group in the entire show and everyone thinks they are awesome.

You can make the argument for example Akatsuki's parents but no, the show thinks the Turbines are great and the fact it had to retreat from "Actually maybe Naze wasn't impregnating everyone on the ship, just a lot of them" shows that. At very best it was a poor attempt to show a combination woman's shelter/harem where people in the shelter also happened to be in a relationship with the owner and didn't seem to remotely consider how creepy that was considering the show has zero interest in presenting Naze Turbine as anything but the kindest person in the universe.

I'd bet good money that no one in the room actually considered how power dynamics make Naze's harem creepy. That's the only way I could see someone thinking the Turbines women are 'free to choose' in any sense of the word. They explicitly ended up there because anywhere else would almost assuredly lead to them being trafficked. What do you do if your relationship sours with the boss, or you get into a fight with your other coworkers, or the Turbines otherwise become a toxic environment to you? Whether Naze intends for that or not, that is the situation he's in for taking these women under his protection as a member of Teiwaz--it puts him in a position of power over them whether anyone explicitly admits it or not. And any relationship with unequal power dynamics invites the strictest of scrutiny because they no longer share the consequences of a breakup/falling out evenly. If Naze and Turbine 349 have a falling out, Naze is still leader of the Turbines. But the girl is now either in a very unhealthy work environment, or out of a job and at the mercy of even worse predators.

I just had this thought so you all get to share my misery: is the Turbines backstory just Dominic Deegan "I raped a girl to save her life?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Talking with a buddy on Discord about G Gundam, I remember a surprising amount about this show I haven't seen since high school in the mid 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkO88eEkKTw

I still love this song so much.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NikkolasKing posted:

Talking with a buddy on Discord about G Gundam, I remember a surprising amount about this show I haven't seen since high school in the mid 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkO88eEkKTw

I still love this song so much.

Sounds to me like a good reason to give it a rewatch

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

I'd bet good money that no one in the room actually considered how power dynamics make Naze's harem creepy. That's the only way I could see someone thinking the Turbines women are 'free to choose' in any sense of the word. They explicitly ended up there because anywhere else would almost assuredly lead to them being trafficked. What do you do if your relationship sours with the boss, or you get into a fight with your other coworkers, or the Turbines otherwise become a toxic environment to you? Whether Naze intends for that or not, that is the situation he's in for taking these women under his protection as a member of Teiwaz--it puts him in a position of power over them whether anyone explicitly admits it or not. And any relationship with unequal power dynamics invites the strictest of scrutiny because they no longer share the consequences of a breakup/falling out evenly. If Naze and Turbine 349 have a falling out, Naze is still leader of the Turbines. But the girl is now either in a very unhealthy work environment, or out of a job and at the mercy of even worse predators.

I just had this thought so you all get to share my misery: is the Turbines backstory just Dominic Deegan "I raped a girl to save her life?"

The Turbines setup of "Captain Naze and his fleet composed entirely of attractive young women" also has the unfortunate implication that Naze doesn't really put any priority on rescuing any boys or men who are being trafficked or are in potential danger - and we 100% know that boys and men in that kind of danger exist on account of all the enslaved human debris existing. It creates an image that Naze is a cool generous savior guy but only if he might theoretically want to have sex with the people he's saving down the road.

The Turbines would have worked a lot better as a benevolent example of a nonstandard family unit if they were portrayed as more of a family unit/concern, with visible people of multiple ages and genders and a more distributed power structure.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

nah it's a super gross scenario with nasty power dynamics at play but i don't think it'd be correct to say naze violently rapes women. it's a situation where no one in the turbines could realistically say no to him but also i don't think he at any point actively seeks sex or romance from any of them except amida - all other implications of sex are initiated by the women.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought it was interesting seeing a different family structure in a fictional world with different material social class and moral calculations.

Whatever the gently caress is happening with McGillis and Very Young Girl struck me as much more objectionable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I thought it was interesting seeing a different family structure in a fictional world with different material social class and moral calculations.

Whatever the gently caress is happening with McGillis and Very Young Girl struck me as much more objectionable.

What's happening there is that he's been left with massively arrested development by his own childhood abuse, and he ends up bonding with the child he's been put in an arranged marriage with because he's also got the mind of an eight-year-old. So yeah, really loving grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everything about McGills his actions and his character are perfectly congruent. He and Galieo are the two most interesting and deep characters In the show.

Naze was just poorly executed. Having a found family situation is fine, but fusing that with a harem and then never allowing enough focus to be put on them to bring out the nuance makes it feel pretty exploitative.