Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah the Packers ST has been very good this season outside of a few weird punts on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

If Willie Snead is available the Ravens might just have found their number 1 reciever

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

What a weird time it was a few years ago...

quote:

Throughout training camp, Conley competed for the No. 1 wide receiver position after Jeremy Maclin was released to free up cap space on June 2, 2017. He competed against Tyreek Hill, Albert Wilson, De'Anthony Thomas, and Demarcus Robinson

I mean it was 5 years ago but it seems weird for every guy mentioned in that sentence to be out of the league other than Tyreek and Demarcus Robinson. With what we knew about Demarcus at the time you'd have thought that he would flush out.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

I mean it was 5 years ago but it seems weird for every guy mentioned in that sentence to be out of the league other than Tyreek and Demarcus Robinson. With what we knew about Demarcus at the time you'd have thought that he would flush out.

IIRC, Conley had a bad leg injury kinda early on in that season and never really recovered while in KC.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sharknado slashfic posted:

If Willie Snead is available the Ravens might just have found their number 1 reciever

Willie Snead is still playing? That’s news to me.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

sharknado slashfic posted:

Duvernay is a very good player. I think Bateman is good too despite some drop issues. But the Ravens will never make WRs the feature of their offense. I don't think Snead would come back here either he hated the offense here like most WRs do.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

It is really remarkable how trash the KC receivers have been besides Tyreek. Juju is automatically the 3rd best receiver in modern Chiefs history

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/howardeskin/status/1577426226859282432?t=CRwE-sUQwUSM0KqBUJsvqA&s=19

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pro tier name

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cameron Dicker the football kicker

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

can't wait to watch the game and see the Cam Dicker kicker cam

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

... I barely even know her

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I badly wanted Chris Conley to be good on the Jaguars but he had some horrid drops. He's a great person but apparently not that good of a football player.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

new PFF stat just dropped

https://twitter.com/PFF_BenBrown/status/1577436652569788422

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

fartknocker posted:

IIRC, Conley had a bad leg injury kinda early on in that season and never really recovered while in KC.
Because Bill O'Brien is a piece of poo poo and wouldn't knee out a game he could not possibly win.

Conley blew out his Achilles during irrelevant play.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

when they say 'scheme' are they only referring to the formations before the play, or like that plus the routes and movements from there as well?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

is this anything more than making up stats just to make up stats?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Love to run PCA and then have no loving idea of what PC1 and PC2 are

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Oh hell yeah, Principal Compenent 1 is the future of the league. I'm worried how much my team runs Principal Compenent 2 though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Woozie66 posted:

Oh hell yeah, Principal Compenent 1 is the future of the league. I'm worried how much my team runs Principal Compenent 2 though.

It certainly explains why the Titans are so bad on offense after their first couple of drives!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I feel like every PFF meeting starts with KEEP POSTING GRAPHS BOYS

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don’t even know what they’re measuring. Like I’m sure Matt and Mike LaFleur are similar philosophically on offense and they worked with Arthur Smith a bit so that makes sense. Not sure where Press Taylor so similar comes in.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 5, 2022

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
PC12 on offense coming in at hot 15%??!!??

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don’t even know what they’re measuring. Like I’m sure Matt and Mike LaFleur and similar philosophically on offense and they worked with Arthur Smith a bit so that makes sense. Not sure where Press Taylor so similar comes in.

They could explain, but they choose not to!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Some regular poster here should just post randomly generated graphs about some stat and see how long it takes anyone to figure it out.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the taylor brothers could hardly be any more different...... gotta wonder if there is a lot of resentment bubbling under the surface in that family.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears should be the most unique system for trying to run the Single Wing.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bears should be the most unique system for trying to run the Single Wing.

That poo poo is the flightless bird offense

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kazil posted:

It means the Ravens are the first team to steal Andy Reid's plays

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Oh my God, what is going to happen when the Bears offense meets the Lions defense? Will it create a black hole?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

They've sure found a way to make a completely meaningless stat

It is time to get nerds out of football

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rectal Placenta posted:

Oh my God, what is going to happen when the Bears offense meets the Lions defense? Will it create a black hole?

I'm sorry the Bears' what vs the Lions what?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rectal Placenta posted:

well the bears also have a dog poo poo defense, so probably they will lose by a lot

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

"No direction is bad"

I dunno I'd probably stay far the hell way from whatever the panthers are doing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

proud to be the team nearest the lions in offense. i believe it means "has detroit lions vibes"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If bengals and lions smoked together who would tell the better stories

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
principal component analysis is a way to take a bunch of data points that have a huge number of variables within them and sort of summarize the way they relate to each other. i don't know exactly what they're doing, but for the sake of argument let's say they map all the plays on defense for each team and each play gets, say

- number of defensive backs
- depth of set for outermost player
- number of players in tackle box
- number of high safeties
- number of players that rushed the passer

so you can't really plot all that on a 2d graph because there's 5 dimensions. what do you do? well, one thing you might do is run some numerical analysis to find some plane of best fit that goes through all of them. then you might project each point (play) on to the surface, so now each play just has 2 coordinates. then you might average the coordinates on the surface of each play from each team to get the location of that team (so like, the patriots coordinates are the average of all the coordinates of all the patriots plays on defense). hey now you can make a plot! it's just a view of that plane with points being those positions of all the plays for each team averaged together.

what does this mean? well, who the gently caress knows. it's really hard to gather quantitative information from this even if you know what all the data is. you typically use it as a first step when trying to figure something out: a way to say hey what's all this stuff in this cluster, let's go figure out which data points those are and see if there's anything weird about them. if you don't actually know what the data is there's really not a whole lot you can say.

for instance, what if one of the features they have is "percentage of the time this exact defensive personnel was on the field"? it's pretty easy to gather: first, you go through all the plays and find each unique set of personnel and how many times they occurred. then whenever you look at a given play, you pull out (number of times personnel occurred) / (total number of plays charted). seems reasonable - one way a defense can be different from another is if they have a lot of different guys they rotate in, like the philly super bowl season. well numerically this number could be from say 0.0001 all the way up to 1 - if a defense used the same guys every play, the biggest the number could possibly be is 1. but if one of your other features is "number of yards from the neutral zone where the outer corner to the field lined up", that's a value between like 2 and 15 - completely different, and you're just tossing it all in the soup. it sucks! it's useless without knowing how they constructed it! gently caress off!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
tbh it could actually be a sick plot. it could get at some weird deep relationship between teams. but because they don't say what they're measuring, who knows whether it's the number of times the linebackers play zone vs man or the average perceived dick size (pant color adjusted) of the free safety. gently caress off

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I thought it was really interesting that the Eagles and Cardinals apparently run near-identical offenses, and that there apparently is far more uniqueness/variance among defensive schemes than offensive schemes. Also, that the Raiders and Chiefs run similar defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

If bengals and lions smoked together who would tell the better stories

tehy would play magic the gathering. no drugs