Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Nuebot posted:

I want the gundam to also have a girlfriend, yes.

As a Nanoha fan I have seen this, and would not mind seeing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nuebot posted:

I want the gundam to also have a girlfriend, yes.
:hmmyes:

Aerial is a very good sister and deserves to be happy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aerial gets the Nobel Gundam as a gf or Barbatos as a BF. Turn A and Grandaddy are the parents.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

and

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

She was probably originally intending to steal Aerial to escape again.

Yeah, but instead of taking the Aerial and trying to escape while everyone was distracted with the duel prep, she decided to do something incredibly self-sabotaging and actually show up to the duel to fight, solely because she was sick of everyone pushing her around and treating her like a game piece and wanting to try to stick it to someone herself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the impression that Aerial is Suletta's brother, and Lfrith is her sister. They've released previews of two different versions of the Lfrith in heavy armour, so there's a chance that it'll come back as Miorine's suit. Fits with her kitsune motif, too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont think that if that lfrith shows up in the series its going to have an AI, certainly not the AI that Suletta awoke in the prologue. Those suits look like whoever is going to ride them couldn't deal with the system and stripped the AI/ gunbits from it and then compensated with dumber features to make up for it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The original lfrith probably got yoinked for parts for Aerial, anyway.

And if more lfrith's show up and are someone's suit, seems more likely for it to be Suletta's mom.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

She was probably originally intending to steal Aerial to escape again.

I really dont see why people think she was stealing aerial for an escape attempt.

She was in the middle of giving Suletta a map and telling her to gently caress off and then Guel disrupts it and a duel is declared, she wouldnt have originally still had the key for the aerial if not for that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wielder posted:

We've only seen the very first step of a relationship and there might be some sort of eventual love triangle or ridiculous polygon as the story moves on, but it seems clear they're making this the "official" pairing. You don't do that entire last scene in the very first episode of a show unless you want to signal that's where the ultimate relationship narrative is finally going to end up, regardless of how many plot twists or turns may appear as dramatic obstacles around the way.

The thing that felt unusual about the setup for me was how they bum rushed through pretty much all of the shipping clichés (including the accidental marriage) without much time spent on the scenes showing why the characters like each other. The normal order of things outside of harem comedies, even in shows that are in a rush (like Edgerunners, Diebuster, Gridman, or Spy X Family) is that you get scenes to convince the audience that the ship will have interesting dynamics to sell the audience (like the gurney scene in Edgerunners, Nono making Lal'c do the right thing and save the jerk military commander in episode 2 of Diebuster, the bus scene with Akane and Rikka in Gridman, or Loid's proposal in Spy X Family) and that on some level they like each other (not necessarily in that way yet, but in a way that could spin that way as the series goes) before going through with all the "they're going to totally hook up" scenes. (Harems tend to do the reverse to keep speculation going. You have an entanglement scene so that a new character's in the pool, then you spread out the scenes to sell the audience on ships as the series goes to avoid showing who's going to win too blatantly).

I get that for a lot of the people talking about the show at the moment, just having yuri sells itself by default, but it struck me as feeling a bit odd.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Artum posted:

I really dont see why people think she was stealing aerial for an escape attempt.

She was in the middle of giving Suletta a map and telling her to gently caress off and then Guel disrupts it and a duel is declared, she wouldnt have originally still had the key for the aerial if not for that.

People are trying to fill in the blanks of that yawning gap in the episode where it jumps from "duel is declared" to "miorine is somehow in the aerial at the duel and suletta is completely flabbergasted". Miorine already tried to escape once in a much less plausible way than having a fully functional mobile suit of her own, so it seems reasonable that if she can steal the Aerial she could just, you know, use it to fly away.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Two series with a fox and a tanuki as the protagonists at the same time? Must be a new record for me. (the other one is Kamen Rider Geats which is significantly more direct about its animal theme)

Three. The title of Rakugo Tanuki (my master has no tail) is a flat lie, the lady she's learning from is explicitly a fox keeping it on the down low.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kunothisu/status/1577224252914249728?s=20&t=LJ42hPKoUla4MOaOEEu49A

The Bic Camera in Akiba, which is one of the most prominent retailers to get Gunpla, ran out of Witch from Mercury kits and had to put Guntank in there

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

They probably don't want to spoil the show with Aerial's skill loadout.
how can the enemy team oppose me now that we are all married?! :getin:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

I present to you: The Bickersons (1946-1951)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloody Pom posted:

The Zowort reminds me a lot of the LEVs from Zone of the Enders, specifically the Phantoma. The design of the thruster pack and the overall proportions are very similar.

I KNEW I'd seen it somewhere before! :doh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TenementFunster posted:

Finally, a Lockhorns video game

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Supremezero posted:

The original lfrith probably got yoinked for parts for Aerial, anyway.

I assume the Aerial is the Lfrith, just given a makeover to prevent it from being detected after Delling declared Gundams illegal. It'd seem a little odd if Ericht had bonded with two separate AI Gundams as a child, but only ever refers to one of them.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Waffleman_ posted:

Finally, a Lockhorns video game
i’m waiting for the Andy Capp DLC

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's either a remade Lfrith, or has the same cockpit block. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lfrith variants we've seen model kits of are derivatives of the MP Lfriths, produced by House Rembran with data taken from Folkvangr.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/mechagirlaya/status/1577427948109410304

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
https://youtu.be/y6PwlboRQFI

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Darth Walrus posted:

I get the impression that Aerial is Suletta's brother, and Lfrith is her sister. They've released previews of two different versions of the Lfrith in heavy armour, so there's a chance that it'll come back as Miorine's suit. Fits with her kitsune motif, too.

Aerial is Lfrith's AI from the prologue. Aerial is also specifically called out as Suletta's little sister in some extra materials like that short story that was released IIRC.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/kunothisu/status/1577224252914249728?s=20&t=LJ42hPKoUla4MOaOEEu49A

The Bic Camera in Akiba, which is one of the most prominent retailers to get Gunpla, ran out of Witch from Mercury kits and had to put Guntank in there

They put another suit there first and sold out of those too actually.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Aerial is Lfrith's AI from the prologue. Aerial is also specifically called out as Suletta's little sister in some extra materials like that short story that was released IIRC.

this is too convoluted ive decided the show is bad now

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing that felt unusual about the setup for me was how they bum rushed through pretty much all of the shipping clichés (including the accidental marriage) without much time spent on the scenes showing why the characters like each other. The normal order of things outside of harem comedies, even in shows that are in a rush (like Edgerunners, Diebuster, Gridman, or Spy X Family) is that you get scenes to convince the audience that the ship will have interesting dynamics to sell the audience (like the gurney scene in Edgerunners, Nono making Lal'c do the right thing and save the jerk military commander in episode 2 of Diebuster, the bus scene with Akane and Rikka in Gridman, or Loid's proposal in Spy X Family) and that on some level they like each other (not necessarily in that way yet, but in a way that could spin that way as the series goes) before going through with all the "they're going to totally hook up" scenes. (Harems tend to do the reverse to keep speculation going. You have an entanglement scene so that a new character's in the pool, then you spread out the scenes to sell the audience on ships as the series goes to avoid showing who's going to win too blatantly).

It's clear they barely know each other at this point, so their in-universe relationship currently has more symbolic value than emotional weight. But hey, sometimes symbols can be powerful.

Okouchi's scripts can pace things too fast and the results may vary, but I think there's at least a spark of genuine chemistry based on their initial interactions. I'm expecting that we'll naturally get into a bit of back and forth over the next few episodes to forge their dynamic into something more emotionally effective rather than merely conceptually engaging. After all, there's multiple secrets between them and drama can pull people together even in counterintuitive ways. It might be foolhardy to assume the Utena parallels will be so literal, in the long run, but I can see one or more of the other students developing an interest in either of our heroines and that sort of complication will put their bonds to the test. To make the logical comparison, even Anthy and Utena's relationship could get rather stormy in the TV series until it really fell into place.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the more obvious complication is whatever revenge scheme suletta's mum has in the works

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

lih posted:

the more obvious complication is whatever revenge scheme suletta's mum has in the works

Pretty sure Suletta's mom killing Miorine's dad would make her more attracted to Suletta.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i mean that miorine might not take too kindly to the idea of being used as a pawn in whatever the scheme is, even if suletta isn't initially aware

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

lih posted:

I'm counting that as one of the secrets, given how oblivious they both are about it (or so we think).

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/DTZ1200WG/status/1577236907477860354?s=20&t=VjIKxiriWH1_gAWFxGcahQ

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure Suletta's mom killing Miorine's dad would make her more attracted to Suletta.

To prevent this just being a post of nothing but black bars, this is speculation based on information in the web novella: Suletta's mom may not wish to stop at Delling if she's anything like Char. She may eventually want Suletta to help her kill Miorine too, like Char helped kill Garma.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 5, 2022

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

tsob posted:

To prevent that s just being a post of nothing but black bars, this is speculation based on information in the web novella: Suletta's mom may not wish to stop at Delling if she's anything like Char. She may eventually want Suletta to help her kill Miorine too, like Char helped kill Garma.

IBO gave us The Garma finally defeating the Char Witch will complete the redemption arc with the Char defeating the Garma, on the battlefield of love

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
first episode was pretty great. I had read absolutely nothing about the setup for the anime, other than watching the prologue. so discovering it was both: a highschool gundam, and also an utena was pretty fun.

the laissez-faire corpo neofeudalist society setting is kind of bizarre and they seem to have a extremely weird set mismatch of social values for a seemingly advanced society

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

As a gundam fan I am very happy that more people are getting into franchise I really like and I hope they enjoy it it as much as I do.

As a gunpla builder while I am glad more people are enjoying a fantastic hobby I wish less people would get into it until bandai's production facilities finish ramping up.

I just want a rg gaogaigar and god gundam at a reasonable price please.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Tabletops posted:

the laissez-faire corpo neofeudalist society setting is kind of bizarre and they seem to have a extremely weird set mismatch of social values for a seemingly advanced society

Rich people run away to space and construct their libertarian paradise. Sound familiar?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Love the series so far, really fun getting in on the ground floor.

One thing that occurred to me is that there is no way in my mind that Miorine gets her own Gundam. She's referred to as the "princess of management strategy" and clearly cannot pilot a mobile suit. Her role is going to be that of a co-pilot/support/engineer to Suletta. Similar relationship to an F1 driver and their engineer on the pitwall. They'll be working together as a team with the same suit. I think it's likely that Miorine will also end up designing upgrades to the Ariel as time goes on.

Really excited to see more of the personalities of the other characters, I think there's a very fun mix of folks here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mio should try to be more Toto Wolff and less Binotto if you're doing an F1 analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe she gets to be bright instead.