Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

F.D. Signifier posted:

When looking at the Nextfest I saw the new (recent?) "Add to Library" button for Demos and figured out that's what they were for, so at the very least I could add them to my library and then see them pop up in the "recent" feed on my deck as if they were recent purchases and download them there... it's not as good as being able to purchase games and demos on the Nintendo eShop website and have it automatically wake my Switch from sleep and start downloading it of course...
HOWEVER I found this button to not work at all...? Is it working for anyone else?

That's odd - I'm pretty sure all those demos are showing up in the 'Recent Games' home list for me.

I remembered how to remote install games without using remote desktop. You can use the phone (android at least) app to download games BUT because the steamdeck shows as a linux pc it won't install any windows ones. Lol and Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

sigher posted:

Yesterday was my Steam Account Birthday! It just turned 19. And according to this site my account's "value" is $13,000~... god drat.

https://steamid.pro/

Also it breaks down the platform you've spent playing on. I have 6,784 hours on Windows and 220 hours on Linux, crazy to think I already put that much time into gaming on Linux.

$20008 for my almost 18 year old account. My family must never know.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Atomizer posted:

the Switch is a different story. I try to get as many games as possible on cartridges for it because of the storage situation (i.e. you can only add one, fairly expensive SD card, so I want to avoid filling it up with downloaded games if at all possible.)

You can use any, extremely cheap SD cards on the Switch.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

You can use any, extremely cheap SD cards on the Switch.

I know, but swapping them out is a pain in the rear end, so if you have any significant amount of games you're going to want a higher-capacity one.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

At this point, Steam is the most stable platform, and is the least likely to disappear.

With Stadia as the latest case in point, Steam simply continuing to exist is an often overlooked yet critical feature of the platform.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah Valve has an all but infinite money pipeline thanks to the Steam store, so it's really hard to imagine circumstances where the possibility of them going out of business that won't also result in us having much worse things to worry about

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I played a bunch of games, cozily from my couch, last night, including Raft with my wife. :3: I think I'm finally going to be able to best Shovel Knight with this thing.

I'm not huge into Raft, but I AM huge into LAN multiplayer, so :shrug:

I'm going to be getting No Man's Sky this weekend (I'm assuming a sale on Friday), and can't wait!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zamujasa posted:

This is entirely my fault. I wonder if there's a way to have it just boot the emulator with a file list, akin to starting a console with a flash cart. More stuff to read.

You can set EmuDeck up to only add Emulators and not games via the Parsers on the left.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Friendly reminder that, while it's OK to talk about game piracy in general and even admit you're doing so, telling people where to download pirated games is still against the rules, even if it's obvious. I know it's kinda dumb, but it's a legal thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boilr needs added to the OP. It's great to make your non-steam games not look like 2nd class citizens. It will allow you to import logos and box art from steamgriddb and makes it nearly effortless. It's in the discover store and pretty easy to get setup and use. Here's the short video for how to set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SA-fOs0H4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can I (relatively easily) install Discord onto this thing? I prefer, as most people would I'd assume, all of my audio to come from one device when I'm playing and voice chatting with people I'm playing with.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can I (relatively easily) install Discord onto this thing? I prefer, as most people would I'd assume, all of my audio to come from one device when I'm playing and voice chatting with people I'm playing with.

You can install it from the discover app just like any other program.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

You can install it from the discover app just like any other program.

I need to read up on this because I don't know what the discover app is. Thanks! I'm still so new.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
lol

steam support asked me to put the unit into Battery Storage Mode and then provided instructions I could not actually follow because they needed the use of the busted AB buttons

I managed to get it into battery storage with a combination of the mouse pad and the one button on the right that does work (top shoulder), but, almost needless to say, rebooting from AC after doing this did not magically fix my 1/2 dead controls, and now they have iced me for 36 hours on any reply :allears:

come on gabe where's this "rockstar" warranty service I keep hearing about?

the longer I go without it the more my workflows adapt and the more likely I am to just flip the new unit into a Squarp Hapax or something. I've played Dead Cells on this thing for like 60 hours and other games for 5. That's a user problem for sure but the experience of playing dead cells on here isn't actually much better than playing the phone version with a Kishi, or lan streaming same :shrug: Deck is a loving cool device but I'm going to end up integrating it into my music workflows and then I will be hosed, lol.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 5, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I need to read up on this because I don't know what the discover app is. Thanks! I'm still so new.

Hit power then switch to desktop. It'll take you a PC loking layout. One of the default icons on the taskbar is the Discover application which is basically your linux app store. You can download and install Discord and tons of other stuff from there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah I had it not install a bajillion different things because I just want select stuff

Instead I have a bajillion different emulators and cores :v:

homeless snail posted:

Don't think Retroarch can do that. Citra can't do that for 3DS either tbh, people just make a screen layout so its single window is real big and spills over onto the other monitor. Not sure if you can even do that much in Retroarch though.

You can try but it doesn't really align right on the other screen, and it also tries to keep both screens on one monitor, regardless of the offset. On the other hand, the hybrid mode looks pretty good anyway

I'll have to use my second HDMI cable for another purpose later lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 5, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

$20008 for my almost 18 year old account. My family must never know.

$21270 for my almost 17y old account lol

Not that I'd ever sell it but lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chubby Henparty posted:

That's odd - I'm pretty sure all those demos are showing up in the 'Recent Games' home list for me.

I remembered how to remote install games without using remote desktop. You can use the phone (android at least) app to download games BUT because the steamdeck shows as a linux pc it won't install any windows ones. Lol and Lmao.
lmao, just shows how early access and poorly thought out the software still is, also pretty bullshit that you can't just install games remotely from any other computer since valve is only selling steam decks to people who have steam installed on at least one computer right now

But it's good that the demos are showing up in your library for you, since it's not for me.

So for anyone else asking, it sounds like this "Add to Library" button is a good way to mark demos for easier download on your steam deck later, even if you can't start the download remotely... provided it works for you

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Monster Hunter Rise has stopped launching for me after its latest update, or rather it launches and then immediately crashes. This happened before and the fix was to enable shader caching in desktop mode but its still enabled and now I don't know what else to try

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Monster Hunter Rise has stopped launching for me after its latest update, or rather it launches and then immediately crashes. This happened before and the fix was to enable shader caching in desktop mode but its still enabled and now I don't know what else to try

Have you verified integrity/files? Did you have mods installed? TU2 did a weird thing where it’s using a file that mods had previously been using to patch in content so if you overwrote poo poo you may have axed actual game content.

(Ask me how I know)

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

God dammit. No updates from Evri since their "lol delayed" email on Friday, the chatbot takes me in circles, and giving the phone robot the tracking number tells me "no information is available for this shipment".

It's 100% been nicked, hasn't it?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

God dammit. No updates from Evri since their "lol delayed" email on Friday, the chatbot takes me in circles, and giving the phone robot the tracking number tells me "no information is available for this shipment".

It's 100% been nicked, hasn't it?

Have a look on reddit - there's a ton of people in the same situation. Including me, I got that on Thursday and haven't heard anything since.

this is mine - "Major Event"...

I've raised a ticket in Steam because they can at least put pressure on GLS/Evri. I think Evri have poo poo the bed massively here. They can't _all_ be stolen!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Have a look on reddit - there's a ton of people in the same situation. Including me, I got that on Thursday and haven't heard anything since.

this is mine - "Major Event"...

I've raised a ticket in Steam because they can at least put pressure on GLS/Evri. I think Evri have poo poo the bed massively here. They can't _all_ be stolen!

Some guy in an Evri warehouse, just gaffer taping loads of them all over his body and walking round pretending to be Iron Man.

I've also raised a steam ticket, so I'm interested to hear what they have to say. Horrible feeling that I'm just going to hear nothing for 14 days then have to instigate a chargeback.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

$21270 for my almost 17y old account lol

Not that I'd ever sell it but lol
The number for mine is too high, and I can’t imagine anyone paying close to what it says. Even 10% is a lot.

Anyway it did make me curious to see what my first purchases were on steam, after the big humble indie bundle that got me to sign up for an account. Deus Ex collection and Terraria. Good taste past me.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

Some guy in an Evri warehouse, just gaffer taping loads of them all over his body and walking round pretending to be Iron Man.

I've also raised a steam ticket, so I'm interested to hear what they have to say. Horrible feeling that I'm just going to hear nothing for 14 days then have to instigate a chargeback.

Checking the Reddit megathread today, it seems to be specifically the ones from the 29th/30th that are going missing en masse.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Thirsty Dog posted:

Checking the Reddit megathread today, it seems to be specifically the ones from the 29th/30th that are going missing en masse.

lol said the scorpion, lmao

I wonder what happened. Either a full on pallet got nicked, or some kind of physical disaster must have happened to the hub.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

At least you've got, I don't know if it's strength, but argument strength in numbers. If it was just you, that's rough for you. If it's a ton of people, that's rough for Valve/the shipping company.

Sorry you don't have your decks yet, goons :smith:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Have you verified integrity/files? Did you have mods installed? TU2 did a weird thing where it’s using a file that mods had previously been using to patch in content so if you overwrote poo poo you may have axed actual game content.

(Ask me how I know)

yeah verified files and haven't been using any mods. Guess I'll try a full reinstall

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Atomizer posted:

I know, but swapping them out is a pain in the rear end, so if you have any significant amount of games you're going to want a higher-capacity one.
Yeah, I agree with this. The Switch is in a weird spot where swapping out SD cards is annoying enough, and games are also small enough, that you really want to maximize the use of one card.

With the Deck it's really not feasible to have your entire library installed at once. I mean, you could but you certainly don't have Steam Input and graphics configurations for everything, so it makes sense to do it all more piecemeal. Plus if you have a USB-C hub moving games from one SD-card to another is pretty easy, so it's easy to move stuff around to your "backup" card if you want to free space on your primary one.

I'm not sure that 1 TB cards are price-competitive with 512 GB cards on sale just yet, although we're getting there soon. But I have a drawer full of 512 GB, 400 GB, etc., cards from when I've been upgrading my Switch over the years.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

caldrax posted:

For the month of Halloween I'm playing Silent Hill 4 on this baby and the experience has been pretty much flawless (lackluster game combat notwithstanding). I'm realizing just how much this game embedded in my head and my deep seated fears back then, and how little it scares me by comparison today. I'm already further into the game than I ever made it then in '04 due to easily powering through sections that once terrified and confused me. It's kind of therapeutic.

Are you playing an emulated version or the GoG PC version? Trying to decide which would be better on the deck.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MMF Freeway posted:

yeah verified files and haven't been using any mods. Guess I'll try a full reinstall

this worked for whatever reason :shrug:

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Not sure if this will help any of the stuck Evri people but i got this off reddit about getting through to them on the phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a guide anyone followed to get the blizzard launcher going on this thing?

Second dumb question how do you like uninstall things that were downloaded from the discover store? I think I want to delete FFxIV since I haven’t played it since I got my deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So you can force the steam deck to use 4 gigs of video ram which can in some cases give games more breathing room. It decreases ram for the cpu but if you have increased the swap file size it’s not a huge deal.

Here’s a video on CP2077

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1zUloyYPIBo&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

So you can force the steam deck to use 4 gigs of video ram which can in some cases give games more breathing room. It decreases ram for the cpu but if you have increased the swap file size it’s not a huge deal.

Here’s a video on CP2077

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1zUloyYPIBo&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

I did this for Destiny 2 and it was a night and day difference.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I did this for Destiny 2 and it was a night and day difference.

How did you get Destiny running on this? I thought you couldn't because of the anti-cheat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Milosh posted:

How did you get Destiny running on this? I thought you couldn't because of the anti-cheat

Install windows on an SD card or make a second partition on your SSD.

I’d just do the sd card route tbh

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Easiest thing in the world. Just search the game you want followed by the word ROM on any search engine.

Don't do this. Use Vimm's or the reddit megathread.

There are other places you can get roms obvi but you'll be dealing with ads and painfully slow dl speeds.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm liking how my tracking is going. In the last 12 hours:

Due Saturday
then
Due Sunday
then
Due Friday
now
Due Monday

:coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If it’s being shipped through FedEx and they say it’ll be delivered on Saturday or Sunday, it is a lie. I once had something that was supposed to be delivered on a weekend only to call and find out that the warehouse wasn’t even open that day.