Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For a minute, I thought it was Antonio Honda and was really upset.

But Inoki dying is much less surprising and I hope it brought him some relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dr. Zoggle posted:

Inoki may of passed away, trending on twitter

There can't be many people more influential in wrestling history than Inoki. There's definitely been reports for a while about his health being poor so it's not a surprise but it's still Antonio Inoki, the man who founded New Japan, a pioneer in the birth of MMA. Look at his students, Sayama created Shooto, Maeda Rings, Funaki & Suzuki Pancrase. Takeda headlined the first Pride show

People focus on Inokiism in the negative a lot, for the impact it had on NJPW's business in the 2000s. We don't nearly appreciate the other side enough.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I was listening to a podcast earlier where the hosts tried to convince me that Kento looks 45 and this is bad for All Japan because they have no young guys and since then I had a nap for hours, woke up, watched last week's GLEAT & I'm still mad OP.

I'll grant you this is a stupid and uncool thing to be mad about but I never claimed to be cool.

What the hell podcast is this lmao

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

What the hell podcast is this lmao

Open The Voice Gate. Very good on DG coverage, very irksome when talking about my beautiful boy All Japan.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

I was listening to a podcast earlier where the hosts tried to convince me that Kento looks 45 and this is bad for All Japan because they have no young guys and since then I had a nap for hours, woke up, watched last week's GLEAT & I'm still mad OP.

I'll grant you this is a stupid and uncool thing to be mad about but I never claimed to be cool.

Do they have a twitter you can bombard with pictures of Ryuki Honda and his cool shades?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It's a Dragon Gate podcast so their idea of young guy is probably like 19 and Kento at 33 is a washed up vet

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Open The Voice Gate. Very good on DG coverage, very irksome when talking about my beautiful boy All Japan.
Goons fighting goons, you hate to see it.

OtVG is hosted by NotQuiteQuentin (though his co-host is in his 20s so everyone probably looks old to him)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont watch the show but kento used to be hot on twitter and now he looks doofy

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm at Suzuki's Festival now and he just had a killer tag match with TAKA against Yukio Sakaguchi & Hikaru Sato where they went brawling all over the festival grounds including getting into it with Abby Kobayashi at his food truck

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dont watch the show but kento used to be hot on twitter and now he looks doofy

His schtick is getting kinda long in the tooth, in general. Especially with his Nextreme teammates evolving so dramatically in their title chases from where they were. He's essentially been the same thing for 6 whole years. People talk about Cody, but the epic, lack-of-self-awareness, Homelander-style mega heel run still on the table is totally Kento. Just a slight "I won because I'm the goat, so of course I did. No one is on my level! What...why are you haters booing?! You aren't on my level either! :saddowns:" and we're off to the races.

Instead of just more "lol Kento wins and you obviously love this poo poo to death". The fights are always good, but I think people want to see what's next, just like with NJPW.

Still: Watch AJPW, tho. :kiddo:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 1, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dishwasher posted:

His schtick is getting kinda long in the tooth, in general. Especially with his Nextreme teammates evolving so dramatically in their title chases from where they were. He's essentially been the same thing for 6 whole years. People talk about Cody, but the epic, lack-of-self-awareness, Homelander-style mega heel run still on the table is totally Kento. Just a slight "I won because I'm the goat, so of course I did. No one is on my level! What...why are you haters booing?!" and we're off to the races.

Instead of just more "lol Kento wins and you obviously love this poo poo to death". The fights are always good, but I think people want to see what's next, just like with NJPW.

I don't think that's remotely true. Or rather i think it is true for western fans but the people actually buying tickets? He's the draw. I love the Aoyagi Bros, Honda, Ashino, Lee, HAYATO, but Kento isn't so much the ace as he is the draw. Even when he's not on top, Kento is far & away who people are paying to see, and turning him would be a massive risk that I'm not sure All Japan can really afford to take. I cannot imagine they have particularly large cash reserves, the margins have to be tight.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't think people can fully understand Kento until they've seen him live. He has this insane magnetism in person that compels you to sit through his ridiculous post match routines.

If he wanted to become a cult leader he absolutely could.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Meh. "I" can take or leave him as he stands now. I respect his matches and his place as ajpw's centerpiece and reason for survival. He is legit Top 5, arguably, in the world. That wasn't knee-jerk Western "just turn him" stuff, I just can not with the character in his current form for too much longer. But I can totally believe he's more of a "Live Band not an Album Band" kind of deal. But without a hook or twist, it's feeling like actually cheering for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers; and I'm not down with that either. :confuoot: This is all just my personal feelings though as a guy who occasionally floats the money for AJPW.tv.

Cult leader Triple Crown reign of terror is right there though and would be way more entertaining. Maybe once it's time to find his replacement he can finally lose his marbles and really embrace being a dick, kinda like Jumbo did when the pillars started to rise.

Edit:

The term I'm looking for is Douche Vibes. And Miyahara the character has them off the charts despite the hero role.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 1, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm at Suzuki's Festival now and he just had a killer tag match with TAKA against Yukio Sakaguchi & Hikaru Sato where they went brawling all over the festival grounds including getting into it with Abby Kobayashi at his food truck

Well this just rules :allears:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The second day of the festival was even better. I don't know if it makes TV or if the experience translates but Jun Kasai vs Minoru Suzuki vs Hikaru Sato is one of the best live experiences I've had. Chasing them around the festival as they drafted in Hiroyo Matsumoto and Mei Suruga among others to pull off their next dumb spot ruled.

Also a bunch of random people like Chris Charlton and Manami Toyota were just hanging around

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 2, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kento rules because he makes this guy seethe

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The second day of the festival was even better. I don't know if it makes TV or if the experience translates but Jun Kasai vs Minoru Suzuki vs Hikaru Sato is one of the best live experiences I've had. Chasing them around the festival as they drafted in Hiroyo Matsumoto and Mei Suruga among others to pull off their next dumb spot ruled.

Also a bunch of random people like Chris Charlton and Manami Toyota were just hanging around

this sounds completely awesome.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm not too fond of Kento's current character (same as with Okada's) but when it comes to wrestling he just rocks so he's still good in my book

Would that someone on Kento's level be in AJPW though

So who was Black Tiger in the 9/19 AJPW Korakuen show though

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 2, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I had hoped they would be winding down Voodoo Murders after Suwama lost the belt, instead they added new members :geno:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The best tag team I never knew I wanted :shepspends:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/supercima1115/status/1576789512633450496?t=kZuqgD-rAFMok0LZioczZQ&s=19

Wanted to share the news that Masato Yoshino has signed with GLEAT as their new G-Pro commissioner but accidently copied CIMA's reaction so you get that instead

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Lmao Ken Ohka really is a Like A Dragon protagonist

https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1576974186173845505

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Wanted to share the news that Masato Yoshino has signed with GLEAT as their new G-Pro commissioner but accidently copied CIMA's reaction so you get that instead
They drat well better get the rights to his theme.

https://youtu.be/Ee-pUdr6UE0

SPEEEEEEEED STAAAAAAAR
IT'S LIGHTNING IN THE JUNGLLLLE

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Finally catching up with Kobashi's show from June and thought this was a very amusing image

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

They're so disappointed in me :smith:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Power Windows posted:

They're so disappointed in me :smith:
To be fair, Kawada is disappointed in everyone.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Crossposting: I made a 10 minute Dragongate primer video for those who are interested but don't know how to get into it.

Mostly still frames this time so I don't have to deal with another GAORA takedown.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sting is trying to bring Darby Allin to Noah when he goes.

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1576992992228831232

And all of a sudden I want to see Darby vs Kenoh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

And all of a sudden I want to see Darby vs Kenoh.

Kenoh tries to angrily bond with Darby over how their aged mentors abuse and mistreat them in order to benefit only themselves, gets even angrier when Darby explains that Sting is actually a great step-dad who supports him unconditionally and has been an enormous benefit to his career.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jerusalem posted:

Kenoh tries to angrily bond with Darby over how their aged mentors abuse and mistreat them in order to benefit only themselves, gets even angrier when Darby explains that Sting is actually a great step-dad who supports him unconditionally and has been an enormous benefit to his career.

And them Darby says "have you met my friend, Orange Cassidy" and Kenoh's head explodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pinwiz11 posted:

And them Darby says "have you met my friend, Orange Cassidy" and Kenoh's head explodes.

Kenoh getting into a kick war with OC where he's nailing his high-power kicks and OC is responding with his little gentle ankle taps :vince:

If Kenoh was in DDT instead of NOAH, we might get this :smith:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Kenoh getting into a kick war with OC where he's nailing his high-power kicks and OC is responding with his little gentle ankle taps :vince:

If Kenoh was in DDT instead of NOAH, we might get this :smith:

Cyber Fight Festival next year?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
KENOH-Cassidy captures my imagination more than even Suzuki-Cassidy, drat. Joey, Spring Break this poo poo.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1577360025483325440

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Deathlove posted:

KENOH-Cassidy captures my imagination more than even Suzuki-Cassidy, drat. Joey, Spring Break this poo poo.

not even Shibata can get Cassidy. The tough guy v. cassidy curse is real.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Takuya Nomura beating the hell out of New Japan young lions is loving rad, thank you All Japan for giving me this. And then Nagata comes into avenge his sons. Beautiful.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Professional. Wrestling.

https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1577962838374903809

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I love you so much, DDT

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DJExile posted:

I love you so much, DDT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

A stip so weird that even Hirata is confused about that.