Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CJacobs posted:

It really is just a fun game where the fun is earnest in every respect from the voice acting to the soundtrack choices to unbelievable accessibility options. Everyone in forza horizon 5 is having a real good time including clearly the people who made the thing. it reflects the sheer number of man hours that goes into making a game with like 600 cars from electric F1s to your mom's soccer van really well. And how you can come out the other side of developing something so fatiguing having had a good time, just based on the quality and depth of some of the references. The film side plot for example is stuffed with references to films and directors, strictly not cars, and that's just not something you would see in a game where that stuff is saccharine. Nothing but praise for FH5's genuine nature.

The voice acting was pretty mal at first but then they made it muy bueno with one of the newer updates.

(for those that didn't play, it takes place in Mexico and they would just have the voice actors drop one Spanish word into a sentence, it kind of stuck out like a sore thumb.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kitfox88 posted:

Title systems in games are always great. Mine in MHR is something like THIRD RATE HUNTER FOR HIRE

Mine was something like "DESTINY TWO OUT NOW"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you have to pick one of the two to install in gamepass, I'd get 4 - 5 has its benefits but it has a very centric battlepass fomo mechanic that burnt me the hell out

horizon is a real fun series though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I kinda think I like 4's map better overall too, but really they're 95% the same core game in different settings, which is a good thing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Do people still play both?

Or wait it does an asynchronous thing for the online right?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Do people still play both?

Or wait it does an asynchronous thing for the online right?

Yeah, I played through both a few months ago and there were live people in the game world and for real-time challenges in both of them. The standard options for actual races are asynchronous "drivatars" based on real players' runs, but I think are at least some options to do real-time in races too (not 100% sure how that side works).

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Recently started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn for the first time, and at the very beginning of the game, you play as kid Aloy, and you fall into some ruins.

At one point, you have to run up some stairs, and I noticed that while running, she would lean forward on the stairs and climb on all 4s. I used to do that poo poo all the time when I was little, and found it to be a nice touch of animation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riatsala posted:

I used to play a lot of RimWorld but it always felt like I was trying to exert too much control over my colony's date by save scumming/generally not allowing myself to take too big a hit. So I started my very first no reload run as early gunpowder settlers in the arid shrubland biome.

Not even a quadrum in and I have my starter base set up. Running low on meat so I mark a few docile creatures for hunting. Well, my best hunter managed to miss the rabbit he was aiming for and wing a goddamn elephant, who immediately raged and trampled everyone in my base to death. Game Over.

Most fun I've ever had with the game.

Just restarted as rainforest tribals and I've already lost two people to disease. Fully embracing entropy at this point.

I used to also be a save-scummer but one day I realized that it was a storytelling game, not a life sim.
Much like Dwarf Fortress, half of the fun is telling people about the insane and weird poo poo that's happened to you.

Plus the DLCs mean you can be a cult of blind vegetarian pain worshipers that venerate guinea pigs.

RimWorld is one of the best games ever made. The pure strain chaos it breeds is the core of the charm.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Velocity Raptor posted:

Recently started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn for the first time, and at the very beginning of the game, you play as kid Aloy, and you fall into some ruins.

At one point, you have to run up some stairs, and I noticed that while running, she would lean forward on the stairs and climb on all 4s. I used to do that poo poo all the time when I was little, and found it to be a nice touch of animation.

HZD may at its heart be just another ubisoft collectathon but god drat if the presentation it comes with isn't absolutely top tier.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

HZD may at its heart be just another ubisoft collectathon but god drat if the presentation it comes with isn't absolutely top tier.

I'm beginning to think the reason I love HZD so much is that I don't play Ubisoft collectathons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm beginning to think the reason I love HZD so much is that I don't play Ubisoft collectathons.

They're very much the definition of you played one, you played em all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

The Horizon games are far less annoying. In Forbidden West you can collect drones, audiotapes and holograms, but you only need one of each to get a trophy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Forbildene

Oh u fucker lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Forbildene

Oh u fucker lol

Better quote next time you feel make fun of my typos!

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Oct 6, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The Street Fighter 6 beta is going on, and it's cool as poo poo, but the fighting game thread has highlighted the best part:

Blockhouse posted:

Each player sees the stage that they picked

I never have to look at the loving training grid ever in an actual match ever again

For people who don't know: most fighting games' 'training' stages are plain grids, intended to make it easy to measure distances for attacks. However, they also wound up basically tournament standard out of a perception that their plain-ness made them perfect for avoiding framerate dips and other graphical issues; that was barely true early for modern fighting games like Street Fighter IV, but basically never since... but most people didn't notice because they'd just never leave the training stage.

This solution is PERFECT for avoiding that problem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Replaying Days Gone and, without spoiling anything plot-wise only thematically, at one point rather late in the game Deacon mentions nearly offhandedly that he's been suicidal for the entire game thus far, and when the other party laughs it off he says 'no really, dead serious' and elaborates on it and I had to pause the game and cry. It was such a brilliant moment of self reflection learning that the entire time I was desperately struggling to survive against hordes, fist-pumping in victory when I creamed them, Deacon meanwhile really was mostly serious when he was shouting "COME ON COME EAT ME YOU BASTARDS!" at them. My favorite part is how well they disguise his survivorship bias as grit, because not once does he shout the "I'VE GOT NOTHING LEFT!" that would give it away, before that moment in the writing. Immediately so much depth got added to his actions and I understood his desire not to make impressions on others much better, it was clearly an intended perk of his character with its roots found here. I wish more games had men admit to self harm, I dunno it just completely struck me given the kind of character that he is otherwise- learning that it was mostly pretend really hit hard and made sense.

edit: Just the idea that you are traumatizing this man over and over, on purpose, because it's what he would prefer to do with the rest of his life rather than ever get close to people again... Man. Heavy stuff for a game about shooting zombies on a motorcycle and I really like that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:56 on Oct 8, 2022

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Return to Monkey Island.

The framing device for the game is Guybrush recounting the tale to his son.
I loaded my last save after not playing for over a week and instead of picking up where I left off it went to Guybrush asking his son if he remembered where we got to and saying no had him recount where I was in the story and what I was trying to do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got quite far into Alter Echo, and while the fight with (first of the main villain duo) Gherran kind of sucked and felt somewhat bullshit, the fights with Kess (the second of the duo) and the clones of the primary villain were a lot of fun, although still hard. Not as much of a roadblock as Gherran. The villain's plan is basically the same as Ego in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well, so that's fun. I am enjoying the dialog too. There are a lot of funny moments throughout the game, like Kess's defeat where she's like "I bet you are expecting me to give some big speech about how I regret my actions and all the people I've hurt, am I right?" to which the hero just says, very nonchalantly "No, not really. Bye." and gets teleported out as the Flesh of the planet consumes her.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Return to Monkey Island.

The framing device for the game is Guybrush recounting the tale to his son.
I loaded my last save after not playing for over a week and instead of picking up where I left off it went to Guybrush asking his son if he remembered where we got to and saying no had him recount where I was in the story and what I was trying to do.

This is such a brilliant feature, really hope more games start doing this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

This is such a brilliant feature, really hope more games start doing this

At least one of the Pokemon games generations did this, reloading a save after some time has the player journal recount the last couple things they did.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
The Golden Compass: The talking polar bear kills people so hard that they explode into glitter!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every chapter of Live a Live is a treasure but the Western one might have the best little touches i've seen so far

- the player character is a taciturn man-with-no-name type and all his dialogue choices are a binary between a very terse sentence or just visible silence
- several classic-style camera angles like long tracking shots through the desert or a shot of a bloodred rising sun
- there's a mariachi band among the cast that's dubbed singing in spanish with the background music. at one point you can send them out to run errands and the music will lose the respective player's instrument until they return
- when one character is talking up the chapter villain: "They say he never sleeps. They say he will never die."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that last one sounds very judgemental

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

It's from Blood Meridian, the Judge proclaims he never sleeps and will never die, which is an interesting reference for a game that's not usually about the monstrous inhumanity natural to mankind.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Precambrian posted:

It's from Blood Meridian, the Judge proclaims he never sleeps and will never die, which is an interesting reference for a game that's not usually about the monstrous inhumanity natural to mankind.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that last one sounds very judgemental

I think they knew

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

as an unread moron I appreciate the elaboration anyway

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

World War Mammories posted:

as an unread moron I appreciate the elaboration anyway

:same:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have read things but among them is enough about Blood Meridian to know I don't want to read it, so that missed me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing a sudoku app on my phone with a bunch of variations, and there is a cute sense of humour with some of them. One of the puzzles with the palindrome rule, where every number on a given line must mirror along the length of the line (so like 2-3-4-3-2, the lines always curve or they'd break the basic rules of sudoku), has the palindrome lines arranged to form a picture of the cool s that everyone drew in their school notebooks. :3:

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I think they knew

Ah, it is I who am hoisted by my ignorance.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing a sudoku app on my phone with a bunch of variations, and there is a cute sense of humour with some of them. One of the puzzles with the palindrome rule, where every number on a given line must mirror along the length of the line (so like 2-3-4-3-2, the lines always curve or they'd break the basic rules of sudoku), has the palindrome lines arranged to form a picture of the cool s that everyone drew in their school notebooks. :3:

Yo which one? Sounds like fun

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Taeke posted:

Yo which one? Sounds like fun

It's called Logic Wiz. There are also rules like "no consecutive digits next to each other" "If there is a line with a bulb at the bottom then it's temperature rules with the lowest at the bulb and the highest number at the end of the line" then some themed on chess moves, also standard variations like Killer Sudoku where it's all "put numbers in these outlines that add up to that particular indicated number"

They are grouped into themed variants - Classic Sudoku, Logic Lane, Queen's Gambit, Killer, Sandwich, Excalibur, Wild West, Jigsaw, and Solve your Own. I've only touched the first 3 so far.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm grabbing that one too, thanks. I'm completely addicted to sudoku and its variants, I keep my previous phone around solely to use for that and listening to podcasts/audiobooks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the writing in that Alter Echo has been consistently funny at times, when it wants to be witty the jokes land pretty well, and it knows when to be serious. It's also got some interesting little character moments like when Kess is weirded out by your relationship with the Echoplast and she's just like "WHY THE HELL DOES THIS GOOP LOVE YOU SO MUCH ANYWAY? It's weird!"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm grabbing that one too, thanks. I'm completely addicted to sudoku and its variants, I keep my previous phone around solely to use for that and listening to podcasts/audiobooks.

I don't know if it's on iOS, but on Android I picked up and occasionally play a bit of this Guriddo one, that's got a little twist on regular Sudoku too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I'm appreciating that Alter Echo doesn't just rely on waves of enemies for it's difficulty. I think I'm very close to the end, just climbing the inside of Paarvo's citadel thing to get to the top, and the hardest part of the level is not the enemies but the platforming, having to be really precise with the timing of turning invisible to avoid electric fields.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Splatoon 3 has a lot of stuff in stage backgrounds that's easy to miss probably, but just noticed in the background of the bridge underside battle stage, you can see the remains of the giant statue and superweapon that was the finale of Octo Expansion in Splatoon 2.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Precambrian posted:

Nas truly is a prophet

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Whelp, Peak Gaming just happened so I may as well just pack it in.

I'm doing another playthrough of Red Dead 2 -- I've given up on trying to actually be bad, I just can't stomach doing some of the truly reprehensible stuff you're given options for.

However, on this go-round I have been playing Arthur as an unrepentant disgusting dirtbag. He's dressed in a gross brown tail coat, a nasty shirt, saddle jeans that look passed in, and sometimes a tricorn hat and other times whatever disgusting headpiece was on the ground. Hobbies include going various establishments and crushing whatever liquor he's looted from and tossing the empty bottle across the tables of various patrons, and eating oleander sage to induce vomiting whenever he he's mad from losing at cards.

Just now however, he was out-dirtied. We were out searching for a squirrel pelt to build a better satchel, because for some reason getting a good squirreI has been the hardest amimal so far. I see something darting around so i switched over to my scoped rifle to get a better look and its a perfect squirrel! I have Morple, my horse, trot to a better vantage point. She's nervous but she heads over anyways so it seems like I'll be able to get a clean shot off. But just a few seconds later a snake emerges from some some shrubs right in our path and now Morple is freaking out. I start to hop off but right as I've got my feet over the side Morple is in panic mode and we are zooming away -- until she smacks me off a rock at 25mph and sends me spinning through the air and off a ledge. I had been hunting for a bit so I whistle and hope to get her back over to salvage my shot but it's way too late, the squirrel is long gone and I'm pissed. Morple arrives and I'm just kind of staring at her and I'm considering punching her but then she just looks back at me, rolls her eyes, and loving farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Game pass continues to be the best financial investment of my life, this time because of Grounded, a survival game where you play as up to four kids who have been shrunk down and placed in a garden, Honey I shrunk the Kids style. I have been playing with a friend and having an absolute blast. You can customize the difficulty in all sorts of ways and being old and lame we turned off the hunger mechanic entirely, making the game hugely enjoyable. You can even reduce the spiderness of the (horrible, terrible) spiders in the game.
There's a story, where you have to locate various labs placrd in the garden and find computer chips to help solve the mystery and get back to normal size. Highly recommended for any game pass holders. And all the things in the game are little!