Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Volte posted:

It's already crossed into the territory of "don't buy this game" which I'm not exactly sure is what Kurvitz et al would want regardless of who makes money but anyway

I mean, you can still buy this game even if you aren't comfortable supporting current day ZA/UM. Just buy a key from a third party marketplace, or buy a used physical copy. That way you can still get you cheevos or whatever without feeling bad.

Regardless I don't think it's really going to matter one way or another, the weak response to all of this tells me it's going to blow over in a few days and nobody will talk about it again unless somebody comes out and leaks some serious poo poo. I highly doubt sales will be affected.

They only really gave a poo poo when the top review on Steam was a rude one, so now that the more noticeable ones are gone (and any comments mentioning their employees trashing their ousted ex-coworkers) they'll just try and coast through until some new influencer drama takes up all the air in the room again. Nature of the news cycle, unless you can stir up enough poo poo to go full on trending with influencers jumping on the bandwagon and get a full moral panic going then nothing ever seems to really stick for more than a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kurvitz' last post on instagram was in November last year. Hindpere posts more frequently but only shared Rostov's tweet on confirming that they are no longer on the studio

seems that Luiga's post was something of a last straw

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just got this game, hear nothing but non spoiler praise and seen only memes like the "Officer, do monsters actually taste good?" and such. Read OP and tomorrow I'm gonna get some coffee in the morning and run around with high Logic and Encyclopedia and balance out anything else i can EXCEPT verbal skills, will power and physicality.

WISH ME LUCK.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 5, 2022

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

MariusLecter posted:

Just got this game, hear nothing but non spoiler praise and seen only memes like the "Officer, do monsters actually taste good?" and such. Read OP and tomorrow I'm gonna get some coffee in the morning and run around with high Logic and Encyclopedia and balance out anything else i can EXCEPT verbal skills, will power and physicality.

WISH ME LUCK.

you're in for a treat, and there's basically no way to gently caress up

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

WISH ME LUCK.

Solid choice. But if you're avoiding those skills mostly because you're afraid they'll make you too competent rest assured that will not be the case (except for Volition who's cool in his own way)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

if you're avoiding those skills mostly because you're afraid they'll make you too competent

Buddy, I don't even have those skills irl.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God speed officer.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

MariusLecter posted:

WISH ME LUCK.

never reload

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

roomtwofifteen posted:

That was my immediate thought, I'm kinda surprised to see so many people take it at face value

I think you might be a bit internet poisoned if your immediate assumption after seeing words from a stranger is "ah, this surely means the opposite of what it says, and the man dissolving a part of his life is NOT in the hospital he claims he is"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I was kind of disappointed when the ultraliberal vision quest didn't involve finding the cocaine skull to sell for mad stacks

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In some countries that aren’t as hosed as the USA you can just go to a mental hospital if you need to. You don’t need to worry about crushing debt or getting thrown out because you’re only a danger to yourself, not others (this is my favorite ER rule, they can only accept you for long term treatment if you’re going to hurt someone other than yourself). I’ve had friends in Germany who’ve done time in mental hospitals because they were just too drat depressed to go on, and they got help, and assistance getting their jobs back (or a new job), and other things you would expect from a society with basic compassion.

I am not sure how this helps maintain price stability though.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

goblin week posted:

I think you might be a bit internet poisoned if your immediate assumption after seeing words from a stranger is "ah, this surely means the opposite of what it says, and the man dissolving a part of his life is NOT in the hospital he claims he is"

This is absolutely correct, honestly

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
When I looked at the Auteur Theory Bro's website a few days ago, I noticed that as a part of his GAME CRITICISM CREDENTIALS, he actually links to an episode of a discussion of Disco Elysium that he did way before he got hired to current ZA/UM.

So I listened to it. It's one of those podcasts where it's really an excuse for a few people to have regular chats and no one else really needs to actually listen to it. I do not recommend repeating my experience.

Alas, there are no funny gotchas that I hoped for, like him saying how much he admired auteurs like Kurvitz for being indispensable for writing a game like this. The closest it gets to that is someone (not sure it was him) saying that it's a "very, very authored game". (Actually, that is a bit of a funny gotcha. Heh.)

But like half of the episode is them wringing hands about the Many Problematic Elements of the game and if it was permissible for a Good Liberal to like the game despite its many "dirtbag left tropes" and "offcolor" and "edgelordy humor". (If you remember, back when the game came out there were some people like the Waypoint podcast who tried to Start Discourse about how DE has racist and sexist dialogue options and CAN YOU BELIEVE IT, and then immediately got pushback, and this podcast was clearly recorded right in the middle of this.)

In the end, I ended up thinking that they were liberal dorks and probably nice enough people, but not someone I'd want writing material for a game like Disco Elysium.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im glad

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

goblin week posted:

never reload

Yes.
Good Logic and tagged Empathy.

Just met with Kim and I'm cemented that I'm a huge dumbass, realize others see me as a dumb rear end and the only thing I can do is realize this as a fact and do nothing else to change it. At least thus far.

This is amazing.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 5, 2022

rox
Sep 7, 2016

youre in for a treat :cheers:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

Yes.

Just met with Kim and I'm cemented that I'm a huge dumbass and the only thing I can do is realize this as a fact and do nothing else to change it. At least thus far.

This is amazing.

"Have you removed the dead body from the tree?"

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Hey, I tried! This is going to take me at least 3 days :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Look man, you know, yeah

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

Look man, you know, yeah

so simple and beautiful.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

uber_stoat posted:

so simple and beautiful.

I felt so bad for Kim that whole conversation

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

The what from the what now?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

The what from the what now?

lol you're going to do just fine

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Please just do a trip report as you delve into this and post your honest thoughts and ideas as you go along. And for the love of God no one spoil anything.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Nash posted:

Please just do a trip report as you delve into this and post your honest thoughts and ideas as you go along. And for the love of God no one spoil anything.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nash posted:

Yes!!

I was tempted to jokingly post that really long and off-putting list of tips a goon wrote for their sister-in-law who reluctantly agreed to try the game, but i didn't want to put off the new player in this thread by accident

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Don't trust the skull.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Half light is your best friend.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Best actual tip I can give that a lot of people miss is that you can use heal items even if you've taken lethal damage, just click on the thingy before your health bar completely depletes. Earthbound rules, basically. The game's super generous with health items and experience points (though I guess items are harder to come by if your perception's at rock bottom), so dying becomes progressively less likely as you move forward. Remember that your two health pools (morale and health) are determined by your Volition and Endurance skills, respectively.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
One bad habit that I have: hoarding skill points for unlocking white checks later. Probably mechanically a good play, but it's also the boring option. You'll probably have more fun if you spend skill points as they come.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Staltran posted:

One bad habit that I have: hoarding skill points for unlocking white checks later. Probably mechanically a good play, but it's also the boring option. You'll probably have more fun if you spend skill points as they come.

Yeah on your first run you won't know when the red checks come so I recommend just spending them. Also it is more fun like you said

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nash posted:

"I live in a dumpster, hobocop!"

Later,
"Officer, is that your paperwork in the trash?"

"Yes, this is my home and office."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

SexyBlindfold posted:

Best actual tip I can give that a lot of people miss is that you can use heal items even if you've taken lethal damage, just click on the thingy before your health bar completely depletes. Earthbound rules, basically. The game's super generous with health items and experience points (though I guess items are harder to come by if your perception's at rock bottom), so dying becomes progressively less likely as you move forward. Remember that your two health pools (morale and health) are determined by your Volition and Endurance skills, respectively.

Related, taking damage reduces those skills for any checks rolled before healing back up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

mossyfisk posted:

Related, taking damage reduces those skills for any checks rolled before healing back up.

I didn't realize this for a while, but it's good to keep in mind. Otherwise you'll ride those stats at one bar and wonder why you keep flubbing your checks.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

a7m2 posted:

I was tempted to jokingly post that really long and off-putting list of tips a goon wrote for their sister-in-law who reluctantly agreed to try the game, but i didn't want to put off the new player in this thread by accident

Can you link to this behind spoilers or something? It sounds funny.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Half light is your best friend.

:hai:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

King Carnivore posted:

Can you link to this behind spoilers or something? It sounds funny.

They put the actual advice in quote tags so I didn't have to edit anything out!

InequalityGodzilla posted:

After a great deal of coaxing I managed to get my sister-in-law, who I really like but who has never played any video game aside from Tetris, to play this game. I gave her some information before she starts as follows

Did I do a good job preparing her for The Experience?

Edit:

And posts like this are why I came back to SA for the first time in almost a decade.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's 17:16 of Day 1 and I've just now got my second shoe from the balcony after doing everything up to getting my hand crunched by Measurehead twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Your run is starting out pretty great already. Detective arriving on scene with only one green snakeskin shoe on.