Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like the part that felt the weakest this time was imperial lady subplot. I don't know what was really added by her scenes this time except that she is probably on nazi amphetamines

She only had one scene so there's not going to be a ton going on, but there are a few things that happened plot-wise. For one, she learned that Blevin was no longer on Ferrix, potentially opening the door for her to go there without interference.

She and Heert also figure out the Rebels' M.O. of "never climbing the same fence twice", and we get an idea of what they're doing - stealing fuel, targeting computers, proton torpedoes, starpath units, and something unspecified from the Fondor shipyards. Luthen's ship has been referenced as being from Fondor a couple of times, and Cassian specifically asks what's powering the ship when he first boards it, so I imagine these clues will lead back to Luthen in some way. We also see Saw Gerrera's group has a couple of X-Wings in the trailer, so maybe the other things are upgrades for those ships (since targeting computers and proton torpedoes are prominently mentioned in A New Hope) and Meero's on the way to uncovering the fleet the Rebels are assembling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Okay I grant all that, but character wise it's a scene where she basically says "I want and think the same things as I wanted and thought last time *takes sketchy nazi uppers*". I accept this as a symptom of watching week to week, it wouldn't stick out to me in block format almost certainly

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Their plan would be dead in the water if an alien walked up in Imperial garb. We've learned their plan involves actually getting inside through the front door.

What was that one line? Something like, "No one expects something from the ground". I can't recall.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

zoux posted:

With the exception of Thrawn, I'm struggling to recall any SW alien in Imperial garb.

Thrawn had Rukh, his Noghri agent, but Rukh didn't have a uniform. In Legends he had more Noghri as well. Also in Legends, there were non-human Imperial stormtroopers in the Legacy comics, set a century in the future. Technically a different Empire though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also that corporal who was like "ugh if those locals show up we'll be able to smell 'em" but I'm not sure if the native inhabitants of that planet are humans or not.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I do dig that these shows are continuing the legacy of imperials being stuffy British types. Feels very 70s.

Not including any aliens in their ranks is a good choice in my opinion, as it works nicely to alude to the 'empire is rascist' analogue whilst still allowing them to prominently cast women and people of colour, avoiding perpetuating the real, lovely racism / sexism of our world.

I do agree there should be an alien or two featured in the rebellion - perhaps that will come later. Though it's also nice that our hero group aren't all American accented.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They say shed ule too much

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

This is perhaps a me and my partner thing, but looking up the actor who plays the imperial intelligence agent who visited the garrison this episode revealed he was the one who did the voice for Budge in the green screen / puppet show Big Babies.

So now whenever he appears on screen we expect he's interrogating townsfolk for biscuits.

Also contestant on Taskmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0o74DBbTw

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You just know the TIE Pilot was bored on Yet Another Patrol, saw some local herders, and decided to have some fun and turned back to buzz them at minimum altitude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You just know the TIE Pilot was bored on Yet Another Patrol, saw some local herders, and decided to have some fun and turned back to buzz them at minimum altitude.

That was so cool. As was the shot with Andor looking over his shoulder and seeing a Lambda class heading into the base, that kind of background detail is great for creating a lived-in feeling. In another SW one character would be like "Is that the Shuttle TIderim???" while strains of the imperial march play quietly while they foreground a low shot of the thing landing and the ramp descending and fog spilling out. The show is backgrounding a lot of deep cuts which is rewarding for big time fans without making casual fans feeling like they missed something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zoux posted:

With the exception of Thrawn, I'm struggling to recall any SW alien in Imperial garb.

I think the Battlefront 1 remake let you play as alien troopers but that might as well be as canon as a blaster with a 420 leaf on it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

probably some bitchass chairforce pilot whose never seen combat either

"HAHAH TAKE THAT NERF HERDERS"

did SW have a non force religion for imperials ala evangelicals?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

did SW have a non force religion for imperials ala evangelicals?

The Imperial New Order has been described as a secular state religion, basically a perverse and fanatical upholding of the state and emperor above all else.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/ImSmilingRn/status/1575910600269406210

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Going to the local EmPalSoulReCon every sunday

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For some reason I’m also amused the Skeen felt the kyber was only worth 30,000 credits while earlier Luther insisted it was worth, minimum, 50k.

I’ll trust the art dealer.

It’s interesting though Skeen even knew what a Kyber Crystal was, perhaps they’ve got more use than lightsabers and death stars? Guess they’re not just obscure, mythical curios. Maybe they’re used for industrial purposes or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Death Star would make one hell of a mining platform. Crack the planet in half, pick up the ores.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For some reason I’m also amused the Skeen felt the kyber was only worth 30,000 credits while earlier Luther insisted it was worth, minimum, 50k.

I’ll trust the art dealer.

It’s interesting though Skeen even knew what a Kyber Crystal was, perhaps they’ve got more use than lightsabers and death stars? Guess they’re not just obscure, mythical curios. Maybe they’re used for industrial purposes or something.

I don't even have a frame of reference though

how much does a banana cost, 10 credits?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

zoux posted:

A Death Star would make one hell of a mining platform. Crack the planet in half, pick up the ores.

According to the EU stories this is exactly how they sold it to the superlaser designer so she would have fewer qualms building it. Just a nice efficient way to bust open uninhabited worlds and harvest resources.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1577748314136756273?t=aJrNsNpptvX3Hhh3nCdPow&s=19

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't even have a frame of reference though

how much does a banana cost, 10 credits?

looking at both primary sources and the RPG books a mental rubric of credit=space dollar generally holds. For vehicle prices assume ground vehicles are used beater cars and space vehicles new nice model cars, with high end starfighters being high performane exotics (x-wings are 150k new)

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 5, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The guy who plays Skeen is so distracting as I first watched him in Girls and he plays a whiny loving idiot in that so well it's impossible to distance myself from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDRLtIMsaTY

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I think the Battlefront 1 remake let you play as alien troopers but that might as well be as canon as a blaster with a 420 leaf on it

Battlefront was human-only for Stormtroopers, but Squadrons lets you play as a Pantoran or Zeltron.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

Also that corporal who was like "ugh if those locals show up we'll be able to smell 'em" but I'm not sure if the native inhabitants of that planet are humans or not.

The whole thing has Highland Clearance vibes and humans milling around the mountains doesn't seem to stand out, so I'm guessing just "lol filthy locals" instead of non human.

Owlbear Camus posted:

looking at both primary sources and the RPG books a mental rubric of credit=space dollar generally holds. For vehicle prices assume ground vehicles are used beater cars and space vehicles new nice model cars, with high end starfighters being high performane exotics (x-wings are 150k new)

They sold Luke's speeder for 2000ish to get enough to pay Han. That's pretty much what you'd get for a used car in the late 70s. The average new price was twice that.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Have we had a Maclunkey in this show yet?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Vintersorg posted:

The guy who plays Skeen is so distracting as I first watched him in Girls and he plays a whiny loving idiot in that so well it's impossible to distance myself from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDRLtIMsaTY

He's a main character on The Bear on FX and was really good at being a scumbag.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

Have we had a Maclunkey in this show yet?

poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's gonna feed all the Black Phillips now that the mission is on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the \/\/ampa

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
There's a fairly long interview with the creator Tony Gilroy on Wtfpod where among many other things he talks a bit about the show and its structure, if anyone's curious.

This latest episode wasn't bad, really, but it felt somewhat underwhelming. Like it's filling in the section between beginning and ending, and it's all stuff you'd probably extrapolate even if it wasn't explicitly shown. I'm guessing it plays better if you binge all three episodes, but who can wait these days.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ep 4 was better exposition than this one and my fav so far i think, but it was still a great setup. i like keeping track of imperial ranks. the tie-fly-bys were truly fun

edit the comparison made upthread to the highland clearances was very astute

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 5, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

darkgray posted:

This latest episode wasn't bad, really, but it felt somewhat underwhelming. Like it's filling in the section between beginning and ending, and it's all stuff you'd probably extrapolate even if it wasn't explicitly shown. I'm guessing it plays better if you binge all three episodes, but who can wait these days.

I kind of had the same feeling about episode 2, and expect to have the same feeling about episode 8. It's not that nothing happens, it's that these are episodes about setting things up for the arc conclusion.

I assume that the Aldhani are a human culture because lieutenant Gorn fell in love with an Aldhani woman. I mean he could be an otter-fucker like Corran Horn; but the imperial pilots seemed to think some humans or humanoids herding sheep in the area was normal, so the Aldhani are probably human.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

zoux posted:

Who's gonna feed all the Black Phillips now that the mission is on

It looked like they set them loose to survive on their own. Hope there aren’t any Aldhani wolves about. :ohdear:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You know what made me almost audibly yelp this episode? The loving seat fabric in Syril's home. That set, his mum's clothes, the tablewear, it looked so 1970s. This could come from any sci-fi movie made in that era. poo poo, I'm just old enough to vaguely remember how lovely the texture of the sofa fabrics was back then, all rough and scratchy and a massive massive fire risk. All holdovers from late 60s to late 70s still lingering in 80s homes. I have the urge to use the word Draylon for the first time in decades.

Look at me gushing over chair fabrics. But while the Coruscant not-iPads and art deco limos feel authentically 2003 and also somehow timelessly generic space Manhattan, seeing them capture that cheap and grubby but still somehow lower-middle class aspirational home environment so well...

I mean sure, the writing and acting and score and everything else was spot on, but that little dining counter set transported me back to the time period of my earliest memories. The loving quality of this show on every level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lobok posted:

I like that the TIE was diegetically loud. If its signature sound is going to be a throaty banshee wail then it's appropriate for characters to want to cover their ears as one flies by.

It reminds me of Dunmail Raise. It's a mountain pass where RAF pilots like to fly low and tourists show up all the time to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CuOrYQmCpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4H_6_tp42Y

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I was amused how the rear end in a top hat pilot was buzzing the natives, thinking real world analogies where it'd be something he'd be reprimanded for if he did it to the military, but then he did it again over the base and I was reminded oh yeah, this is Star Wars. Half the job of a TIE fighter pilot is to buzz past the camera to show off the might of the Empire.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Isometric Bacon posted:

I was amused how the rear end in a top hat pilot was buzzing the natives, thinking real world analogies where it'd be something he'd be reprimanded for if he did it to the military, but then he did it again over the base and I was reminded oh yeah, this is Star Wars. Half the job of a TIE fighter pilot is to buzz past the camera to show off the might of the Empire.

Nice bit of characterization but you can see the guy standing on the dam has ear protection around his neck, presumably for that very reason.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just finished watching the episode and I'm eating up the tension like a steak. Loved it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, as soon as I saw that the TIE approaching, I immediately thought "Oh, this pilot is definitely some shithead that gets off on scaring the locals."

EDIT: Also, gently caress Perrin and his little smirk when he knows he's driving a wedge between Mon and their daughter.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 5, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Nice bit of characterization but you can see the guy standing on the dam has ear protection around his neck, presumably for that very reason.

He didn't have it on when the TIE flew past though, and there's a microphone on it so I'm betting he's a comm officer or something.

Him being out there also means that if the TIE did report back about the farmers in the valley, he wasn't inside to hear about it. It's a nice extension about Cassian telling Luthen that the Empire can't imagine people just walking in through their front door - if the pilot and the comm officer were actually paying attention, then the plan could have been ruined.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Robot Style posted:

He didn't have it on when the TIE flew past though, and there's a microphone on it so I'm betting he's a comm officer or something.

Him being out there also means that if the TIE did report back about the farmers in the valley, he wasn't inside to hear about it.

oh god that's too good :aaa:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Parkingtigers posted:

You know what made me almost audibly yelp this episode? The loving seat fabric in Syril's home. That set, his mum's clothes, the tablewear, it looked so 1970s. This could come from any sci-fi movie made in that era. poo poo, I'm just old enough to vaguely remember how lovely the texture of the sofa fabrics was back then, all rough and scratchy and a massive massive fire risk. All holdovers from late 60s to late 70s still lingering in 80s homes. I have the urge to use the word Draylon for the first time in decades.

Look at me gushing over chair fabrics. But while the Coruscant not-iPads and art deco limos feel authentically 2003 and also somehow timelessly generic space Manhattan, seeing them capture that cheap and grubby but still somehow lower-middle class aspirational home environment so well...

I mean sure, the writing and acting and score and everything else was spot on, but that little dining counter set transported me back to the time period of my earliest memories. The loving quality of this show on every level.

There's even a 70s/80s popcorn machine behind Syril's head as he's eating his Trix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Next week is gonna be loving insane