Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

PantsBandit posted:

Don't do this. Use Vimm's or the reddit megathread.

There are other places you can get roms obvi but you'll be dealing with ads and painfully slow dl speeds.

I"m an idiot but what is VIMM's? sorry if this is too :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Milosh posted:

I"m an idiot but what is VIMM's? sorry if this is too :filez:

Just google vimms lair

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Skrill.exe posted:

Are you playing an emulated version or the GoG PC version? Trying to decide which would be better on the deck.

Emulated, I set up with Emudeck. I actually bought the GoG version awhile back before I had a deck but it wouldn't work on my PC, so I went this route.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milosh posted:

How did you get Destiny running on this? I thought you couldn't because of the anti-cheat

MarcusSA posted:

Install windows on an SD card or make a second partition on your SSD.

I’d just do the sd card route tbh

Yep I have Win11 on an SD card. I’d say it’s more hassle than it’s worth if you’re a casual Destiny 2 player like I am but if you’re really into it and want to play it on the toilet, it’s pretty cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep I have Win11 on an SD card. I’d say it’s more hassle than it’s worth if you’re a casual Destiny 2 player like I am but if you’re really into it and want to play it on the toilet, it’s pretty cool.

The actual setup isn’t terrible but using windows is kinda terrible.

The battery life is poo poo. I can’t figure out why sleep doesn’t work so I have to do a full boot each time which takes about 1:30 or so.

The trackpads work when windows first boots but then just stop working for whatever reason.

Once you are loaded though destiny 2 plays pretty drat good though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished up The Simpsons: Hit and Run. That last mission to deliver toxic waste to the alien mothership is a real doozie, although I randomly ended up finishing with like 20 seconds to spare after trying and failing 10 times last night.

Game holds up super well. The loop is simple, sometimes to a fault, but the cartoony physics mixed with a charming open-world still stands out as a unique experience even in the decades since it came out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

The actual setup isn’t terrible but using windows is kinda terrible.

The battery life is poo poo. I can’t figure out why sleep doesn’t work so I have to do a full boot each time which takes about 1:30 or so.

The trackpads work when windows first boots but then just stop working for whatever reason.

Once you are loaded though destiny 2 plays pretty drat good though.

Absolutely

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You can download anything you want from Zophar's Domain but you have to delete ROMs within 24 hours of downloading them because Bill Clinton said so.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Second dumb question how do you like uninstall things that were downloaded from the discover store? I think I want to delete FFxIV since I haven’t played it since I got my deck.

The discover store has a button on the left side towards the bottom that shows you a list of installed apps, you can uninstall apps from that list

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

caldrax posted:

Emulated, I set up with Emudeck. I actually bought the GoG version awhile back before I had a deck but it wouldn't work on my PC, so I went this route.

Good to know. I'll probably end up going that route as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heran Bago posted:

You can download anything you want from Zophar's Domain but you have to delete ROMs within 24 hours of downloading them because Bill Clinton said so.

You wouldn't download a blowjob

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

MarcusSA posted:

Just google vimms lair

r/roms too since we're being coy about it? I guess because technically :filez:

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
Hi. my deck is currently sitting in Carol Stream IL with a sticker on it waiting for fedex but while I wait I was wondering if anyone has partitioned the SD card before. I'm getting a basic 64GB deck so I was hoping I could get a HUGE 1TB MEMORY CARD and then partition some of it off for a windows install and use the rest for steam games?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

beep-beep car is go posted:

r/roms too since we're being coy about it? I guess because technically :filez:

Everything is hosted on archive.org, it's fine.

https://r-roms.github.io/

If you want to download files in bulk from archive.org, I recommend installing jdownloader.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

The discover store has a button on the left side towards the bottom that shows you a list of installed apps, you can uninstall apps from that list

Awesome thanks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a guide anyone followed to get the blizzard launcher going on this thing?

There's guides on YouTube. I just did it yesterday and it's fairly simple. Go into desktop mode and download the launcher setup exe, then add a non steam game and force compatibility. Then do it again with the launcher exe basically. Then everything installs from the launcher pretty painlessly. At least d2r did.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 5, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody have issues with apps installed through the Discover store not triggering the file explorer when you attempt to click on something like "Open ROMs Folder" or "Open HD Textures Folder"? I've heard it's some sort of permissions/sandboxing issue, and only some apps have the issue. I discovered Flatseal (https://itsfoss.com/flatseal/), which I thought might solve this issue, but couldn't figure it out - the issue still persists.

I could just pull down and install the non Flatpak "AppImage" versions of many of these apps from Github, but then I'd lose automatic updates, which is pretty nice when you're talking about emulators that are regularly being updated to improve compatbility.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reserved in the UK. Let’s see how quickly this email comes through!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Izno posted:

Hi. my deck is currently sitting in Carol Stream IL with a sticker on it waiting for fedex but while I wait I was wondering if anyone has partitioned the SD card before. I'm getting a basic 64GB deck so I was hoping I could get a HUGE 1TB MEMORY CARD and then partition some of it off for a windows install and use the rest for steam games?

Mine got picked up by FedEx this morning in the same town! Its delivery date got changed from Saturday to next Tuesday though, but that is okay.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
Awwwww yeah, congrats. I'm in Canada so I'm sure my delivery date will soon be updated like 2 weeks out but that's ok as long as the cogs are turning

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished up The Simpsons: Hit and Run. That last mission to deliver toxic waste to the alien mothership is a real doozie, although I randomly ended up finishing with like 20 seconds to spare after trying and failing 10 times last night.

Game holds up super well. The loop is simple, sometimes to a fault, but the cartoony physics mixed with a charming open-world still stands out as a unique experience even in the decades since it came out.

some absolute madman is working on a solo remaster of that and it looks legit good

https://gamerant.com/the-simpsons-hit-and-run-remastered-mod-update/

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Izno posted:

Awwwww yeah, congrats. I'm in Canada so I'm sure my delivery date will soon be updated like 2 weeks out but that's ok as long as the cogs are turning

FWIW I got a tracking number this morning and its scheduled for Friday delivery in the Toronto area.

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
Does anyone know if you can change the hotkey for fast foward in retrodeck, which uses retroarch I think. To access it, you have to press the 2 Square Button (Select?) + Right trigger, or whatever I change it to. If i set it to a back button, I still have to press the Select + back button. I kind of want to keep the Select + w/e and just have Fast foward only on a back button, but not sure if it works like that. Also, I set the fast foward to 2x or 3x, but I can't tell if that works at all, seems to be the same speed to me.

Does Emudeck work the same way for their hotkeys? I might use that instead, or just go with stand alone emulators.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
My wife’s steam deck arrived today. She preordered it on Sept 10th and paid last Saturday. Pretty great turn around time now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cowman posted:

some absolute madman is working on a solo remaster of that and it looks legit good

https://gamerant.com/the-simpsons-hit-and-run-remastered-mod-update/

It's a cool project but I'm pretty sure he's said he has no intention of ever releasing it to the public :/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

why the hell wouldn’t they?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why the hell wouldn’t they?

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/the-simpsons-hit-and-run-fan-remaster-remake-open-world-multiplayer/

"It's a pretty ambitious project, but reubs has stated that it's being made purely for entertainment purposes and won't actually ever be made available to the public."

I think they just don't want to mess with the potential legal headaches.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it'll get "leaked" on their discord when it's ready, bet

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Less likey to get Cease and Desisted into oblivion if you say it's not going to be distributed.

They're posting youtube vids of their progress. It looks neat.

The first thing they did was rip the entire game's geometry from a modded version of the game that mashed all the levels into one continuious environment and plonk it into whatever game engine they're using textures and all. Like one step in they're spawning in a prefab car object and driving around an open world version of the game. Crazy that it all worked so seamlessly.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Does anybody have issues with apps installed through the Discover store not triggering the file explorer when you attempt to click on something like "Open ROMs Folder" or "Open HD Textures Folder"? I've heard it's some sort of permissions/sandboxing issue, and only some apps have the issue. I discovered Flatseal (https://itsfoss.com/flatseal/), which I thought might solve this issue, but couldn't figure it out - the issue still persists.

I've seen this with a couple of things and its annoying but its been solved with a reboot.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Got mine today. First thing I did was download metal gear rising and it works perfect. 10/10 purchase.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Boilr needs added to the OP. It's great to make your non-steam games not look like 2nd class citizens. It will allow you to import logos and box art from steamgriddb and makes it nearly effortless. It's in the discover store and pretty easy to get setup and use. Here's the short video for how to set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SA-fOs0H4

added!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

incorporeal posted:

Got mine today. First thing I did was download metal gear rising and it works perfect. 10/10 purchase.

I literally started playing that last night.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

CBD Corndog posted:

FWIW I got a tracking number this morning and its scheduled for Friday delivery in the Toronto area.

when did you order?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Mescal posted:

when did you order?

Preordered on the 25th, the ‘your reservation is ready!’ email came last Thursday, got dicked around by the payment system so it wasn’t paid for until Friday night, and the shipping email came in this morning.

Did anyone else have an issue paying for the Dreck? With both CC and PayPal I’d just get ‘an unknown error has occurred, contact support’ and after getting tired of waiting for support’s 24 hour response time I ended up just filling my Steam wallet in $100, $50, and $25 increments (getting the same unknown error intermittently, and a few ‘too many transactions’ cooldowns) until I could use it to fully pay for the deck

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I put gentoo on my steam deck for no (particularly good) reason.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I’m sure it’s been asked a lot but can you get away with a cheap micro SD card or is a name brand like Sandisk/Samsung a better way to go?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

infraboy posted:

I’m sure it’s been asked a lot but can you get away with a cheap micro SD card or is a name brand like Sandisk/Samsung a better way to go?

Go name brand. If people are concerned with bootlegs, I can assure you no name cards will be the same or worse.

SanDisk
Samsung
Kingston

Edit: And of course buy from a legitimate retailer, no third party or marketplace people.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

infraboy posted:

IIRC these are all the major brands of SD card manufacturers (mostly the same as RAM manufacturers), and as long as it's not a bootleg none of these brands will do you wrong.

SanDisk
Gigastone
Kingston
Lexar
PNY
Transcend
Samsung

I wouldn't get a no-name card because it's extremely unlikely that a no-name card will beat one of these major brands when they go on sale anyway. I recommend a U3 A2 card. https://www.sir-apfelot.de/en/Meaning-a1-a2-on-sd-cards-24628/

RoastBeef posted:

I put gentoo on my steam deck for no (particularly good) reason.
We all know why you were compelled to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Ps5 remote play question -. When using chiaki to take ps5 or of standby mode, it turns on the ps5 ... But then stays on the "press the ps button" and I'm not sure if the deck can actually bypass that. Is there a way to get it just to log right in to my account?