Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

goatface posted:

Blame God. If you have to thank him for the good poo poo, you can blame him for the bad.

I was raised an atheist, if I found out god were actually loving real, holy poo poo, that guy would need to watch his back. Yeah I’m threatening god with murder so loving what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I was raised an atheist, if I found out god were actually loving real, holy poo poo, that guy would need to watch his back. Yeah I’m threatening god with murder so loving what?

Nice to meet you, Lord Asriel.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I no longer live in Texas and do my best to limit drinking and driving. If I go to a bar I go somewhere close in my big city and if I can walk I walk now. The biggest step there has been telling my partner when she needs to drive - it's a small thing but not a small thing. Mostly I'm older and wiser. I don't personally want to derail this thread by getting into talking about the peer pressure of drinking and the way drinking and binge drinking is inescapable in Texas because that's another thread entirely, but suffice it to say I'm trying to be a much more responsible person in my mid-30s and also have respect for how hard it is to not give in to peer pressure when it's literally everywhere and all around us.

I could really go for a big bow o chili right about now.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

goatface posted:

Blame God. If you have to thank him for the good poo poo, you can blame him for the bad.

Yeah I mentioned something to that extent to my wife's extremely religious family shortly after her absolute saint of a mother died a horribly painful death from cancer. It was not received well.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Try suggesting that God was not being evil, but was actually justly punishing her for her sins.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Yeah I mentioned something to that extent to my wife's extremely religious family shortly after her absolute saint of a mother died a horribly painful death from cancer. It was not received well.

But didn't you know? Good stuff = God's work, bad stuff = Satan's work! Or as the poster above said, she was bad and deserved it. Either way, God sounds like a great guy!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MEIN RAVEN posted:

But didn't you know? Good stuff = God's work, bad stuff = Satan's work! Or as the poster above said, she was bad and deserved it. Either way, God sounds like a great guy!

Implicitly if God is benevolent and wants to do good and yet bad things happen then Satan is more powerful than God right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I no longer live in Texas and do my best to limit drinking and driving.

how hard it is to not give in to peer pressure when it's literally everywhere and all around us.

I know you said you didn't want to derail but I can't resist stating how much I loving despise people like you. First off, don't "limit" your drinking and driving, eliminate it. Anything else is attempted murder of innocent bystanders.

Secondly, your friends peer-pressuring you to drink are stupid idiot assoles. I figured this out when I was 16, and my stupid idiot rear end in a top hat friends finally got the hint after about two decades. I was in the loving Navy and I never took a drink. Let that sink in. It's called making up your mind.

If you don't want to derail, don't fish for sympathy with something that's 100% your own fault.

edit: to bring it back, this loving mindset is the same thing that normalizes and excuses Alex Jones, how can be be accountable if he's day-drinking right?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 5, 2022

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Zero VGS posted:

I know you said you didn't want to derail but I can't resist stating how much I loving despise people like you. First off, don't "limit" your drinking and driving, eliminate it. Anything else is attempted murder of innocent bystanders.

Secondly, your friends peer-pressuring you to drink are stupid idiot assoles. I figured this out when I was 16, and my stupid idiot rear end in a top hat friends finally got the hint after about two decades. I was in the loving Navy and I never took a drink. Let that sink in. It's called making up your mind.

If you don't want to derail, don't fish for sympathy with something that's 100% your own fault.

edit: to bring it back, this loving mindset is the same thing that normalizes and excuses Alex Jones, how can be be accountable if he's day-drinking right?

Cool, your opinion is the right one and your experience is the same as everyone else's and people who don't believe the way you do are idiots. Got it. You've changed a lot of hearts and minds by cherry picking my post and accusing me of fishing for sympathy and then you related something unrelated to somehow normalizing Alex Jones. I'll be sure to take a long hard look in the mirror after I get off this, the SomthingAwful forums.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
That's a very predictable reply. When you die on one of your (limited) drunk driving excursions try not to take out anyone else with you.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
cool it, all of you, now. take it outside.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

teen witch posted:

cool it, all of you, now. take it outside.

Should probably take his keys away first tbh

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I sat through about 16 seconds of that standup video. what's the word for when cringe loops back over on itself because the person is too stupid to feel embarrassed?

something to do with when you vomit a little bit in your throat I guess. gurk?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Dewgy posted:

Should probably take his keys away first tbh

I know a nice place nearby we can walk to, talk it out over a nice bowl of chili

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I sat through about 16 seconds of that standup video. what's the word for when cringe loops back over on itself because the person is too stupid to feel embarrassed?

something to do with when you vomit a little bit in your throat I guess. gurk?

Sounds like you need woke insurance

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Boomer brain, and I'm not saying that as a joke. They were exposed to more lead than younger generations, plus getting old means more cognitive problems and part of that is an increase in irritability, decreased rationality, and just generally being more difficult and belligerent. Personality changes for the worse are a sign of cognitive decline, and often the first symptom of dementia

Well, acute Covid might help, as long as they keep refusing masks and vaccines

The lead theory seems extremely likely to be correct

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
On a totally tangental note, i feel like I have a very different understanding of gnosticism after seeing the rise of QAnon and the real world effects of shitheads like AJ. I used to think it was an interesting idea that the world was created by the devil and you could rise above it (your enemies, if you will) if you only understood the secret truths. I really think there is a direct spiritual line between gnostics and conspiracy theorists. One of those things that are fun for me to think about, but as far as I can tell, no actual use to know about.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JHC what is going on with his skin? Look at that thumbnail. He's only 48. Forget beets, dude needs to start selling moisturizer and sunscreen on his show.

Reading the last couple pages I guess the drinking, smoking, and evil has something to do with it. He could try drinking a glass of water once in a while or something I dunno.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nigmaetcetera posted:

death is the gods' crime

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Facebook Aunt posted:

JHC what is going on with his skin? Look at that thumbnail. He's only 48. Forget beets, dude needs to start selling moisturizer and sunscreen on his show.

Reading the last couple pages I guess the drinking, smoking, and evil has something to do with it. He could try drinking a glass of water once in a while or something I dunno.

Alex Jones looks like if he was decapitated it would be like that scene from Army of Darkness. His blood pressure meds regime must be nuts.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If there is a god, they will need to beg my forgiveness.

Also, as a Texan: gently caress drunk driving and anyone who thinks it's okay in any manner. Yes, I know no one in here has said that- quite the opposite, in fact, which is very heartening. But it still needs to be said.

gently caress Alex Jones, too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does where they're having the trial have a cap on damages like Texas?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are caps in Connecticut but they do not apply to this case.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Hollismason posted:

Does where they're having the trial have a cap on damages like Texas?

In some ways an even worse cap. Limited to only attorney fees. In this case though they also went after him for some sort of unfair trade practices thing and the default made him liable for that too which is uncapped.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Troubadour posted:

On a totally tangental note, i feel like I have a very different understanding of gnosticism after seeing the rise of QAnon and the real world effects of shitheads like AJ. I used to think it was an interesting idea that the world was created by the devil and you could rise above it (your enemies, if you will) if you only understood the secret truths. I really think there is a direct spiritual line between gnostics and conspiracy theorists. One of those things that are fun for me to think about, but as far as I can tell, no actual use to know about.

That's genuinely an interesting thought - there are some levels of similarities there I hadn't thought about. Makes you wonder how annoying the Gnostics (and Manichaeans) were when you accidentally got them started, if nothing else. :)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Computer viking posted:

That's genuinely an interesting thought - there are some levels of similarities there I hadn't thought about. Makes you wonder how annoying the Gnostics (and Manichaeans) were when you accidentally got them started, if nothing else. :)

Didn't really quite a lot of people try to kill them?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That can be said of every sizeable religious group to ever exist.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't really quite a lot of people try to kill them?

Not as much as some of the other well known heresies. Mostly the church did a pretty successful job of destroying their texts. A couple different sects of it are still floating around, mostly in the Middle East and areas nearby.

Computer viking posted:

Do you know someone who is really into the idea the world is a simulation? Not like they heard it on Joe Rogan once but like seriously deeply believes it. About that annoying.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

We live in a simulation is the modern day equivalent of we live in a god's dream or something of the sort.

it's interesting thought experiment but, since it is unknowable, it doesn't matter.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I've never been very religious despite being raised Protestant and doing seven years of Catholic middle & high school. Alex Jones should burn for all eternity in the deepest depths of Hell.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Troubadour posted:

I'm inclined to agree, even though I'm willing to be open to the idea that the original gnostics may have been actually different.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bleusilences posted:

We live in a simulation is the modern day equivalent of we live in a god's dream or something of the sort.

it's interesting thought experiment but, since it is unknowable, it doesn't matter.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i forgot Dinosaur Comics was a thing

edit: is. is a thing. it's still going :wow:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So is Bonequest née Jerkcity, which contains many sentiments I’d like to share with one Alex Emerick Jones.

E: it’s weird that the internet is Old

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
So was the “Jury Consensus” bit just trick to muddle the proceedings? If X jurors want $1 and Y jurors want $3, they cannot agree on $2?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have it on good authority* that Connecticut juries just need a simple majority. If four jurors want $3 and two want $1, the $3 majority stands. If only three jurors want $3, and one wants $2, they'll need to come to an agreement, which means either the $3 jurors end up going a dollar down, or they talk that juror one dollar up.

*posts by goons who may or may not be, or have been quoting, actual lawyers who know this

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
can't believe all these people got radicalized by a drunk lunatic. like how stupid can you be to follow that guy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Never doubt the stupidity of people.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
And we're doing very, very last minute book-keeping. 11 issues...but it's time for the jury to do their stuff today!

Ed.: Closing arguments, 2 hours per side, starting with plaintiffs who have decided to reserve 30 minutes for rebuttal after defense.

This is going to be emotional, so I don't blame people if they don't listen to this, but it's...well, it's going to be one of those historical and "taught in every law-school" closing arguments.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Closing arguments have begun