Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the worst interview questions are trick ones they put in to try and trip you up. "Where do you connect the neutral conductor to a 3phase induction motor?" :fuckoff:

as an aside: the post brexit skills gap in the trades has become more of a howling abyss, so now is the time to cast aside your aspirations of touching computer and join the hi-vis legion and curate an sommeliers opinion on fried breakfast foods

kecske fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

It wasn’t for any kind of creative position whatsoever or that would have made sense, it was for a job looking after a bunch of computer touchers in a contact centre because I guess that’s my career now after ~20 years of having to work for a living.

I actually think that would be a good approach, regardless of the position being "creative" or not. Interviewing is the most boring poo poo you can do, anything that stands out or humanises a candidate is good. I mean I'm not suggesting a person should do that if they'd find it demeaning, but personally I would enjoy it as a way to keep me engaged and slightly take the piss out of the whole process

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

the worst interview questions are trick ones they put in to try and trip you up. "Where do you connect the neutral conductor to a 3phase induction motor?" :fuckoff:

"Wherever makes the most sense for this company's strategic priorities. I believe in the mission of this company, changing lives for our stakeholders and customers"

Refuse to answer any follow-up question

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

To the other side of the lamp you're running off of the wiring box, of course.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Paid trial shifts are better than interviews - anyone can blag their way through a five-minute conversation, but you won't know how much of an idiot someone is until you see them in action

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
you're essentially at will employed for the first 2 years in the uk anyway

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

Best of luck bud!

I just want to not be continually making poo poo up. I can do the job role, it's just that I don't know why I'm expected to lie to people when I could just go "I can do this, give me a week of training and I could probably do it really well".

"I can do this give me a week of training and I could probably do it really well"

There it is. It's not a lie, you can do it, you are just cutting out the bit that your MH/imposter syndrome voice keeps adding AND that the interviewer doesn't need to hear.

Everyone can do better with training that goes without saying.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Worst job interview I was in was a group interview, me and 6 other people. General team questions like 'you're stuck in the middle of them ocean, pick out of the following items you'd want'. Then they turn around and ask everybody 'without picking yourself, who should get the job'

I'd only remembered one person's name so I picked them. Nobody picked me. I got the job though so I guess everybody but me answered wrong, especially the lady who said Bob the Builder. This is a contract management role, Bob is purely a tools guy.

There's no right or wrong answer for this one. They are purely looking at your interaction with the other people to see if you shy away from the conversation or try to take it over.

Best interview I had was one around 2000 where I walked in, saw that the hiring person had a Matrix screensaver and mentioned what an awesome film it was. The interview was then 20 minutes talking about the film and nothing else.

I guess the worst interview was for one of those companies that was trying to recruit for door to door or telephone sales, but never mention that in their job ad.
I suspected it was one of those before I went in and so decided to gently caress around with the interviewer for the whole time I was there. It was also a group interview for added lulz.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

domhal posted:

It would be good if the sleeper went to Mallaig.

Genuinely surprised that it doesn't (only ever been on as far as Glasgow) would make sense though to link up with the ferry services.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
interviewing someone for a skilled role you understand and could do yourself is trivially easy in 1hour, the central problem is the vast majority of hiring managers haven't a clue what the role theyre recruiting for is

ask them to walk you through what a normal 9-5 in the role will be and see the immediate panic and desperate buzzword guff that comes back

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
uh yeah at about 9.30 we start cleaning the remote tunnels for the lean agile team.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rustybear posted:

interviewing someone for a skilled role you understand and could do yourself is trivially easy in 1hour, the central problem is the vast majority of hiring managers haven't a clue what the role theyre recruiting for is

ask them to walk you through what a normal 9-5 in the role will be and see the immediate panic and desperate buzzword guff that comes back

It's always funny when you've got an HR person and someone from the actual team doing the interview and they haven't planned it beforehand and contradict each other. Remember one I had where the perky HR person was listing all the perks, and talking about how great the food was in the building's staff canteen at lunchtime. The guy from the actual team the vacancy was on looked up from his notes and just quietly said "yeah, the team don't actually get much time to have lunch most days."

Really sold the job :v:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I had my best and worst interviews within 48 hours of each other in 2015. My professional background before I got into the wild world of fudgemaking is mostly security work, and I was looking for supervisory/management roles.

On the Monday I had an interview with a Jewish security firm in Hendon. A half hour interview stretched to ninety minutes, I had them eating out of the palm of my hand with stories about my time working at Coutts and I casually namedropped a former president of the board of deputies who is an honorary uncle to me.

On the Wednesday I went to interview at a firm in shoreditch who had advertised wanting a supervisor for embassy security work. So kind of in my wheelhouse. I got there, and through the course of the interview learned that it was actually for guard positions in south west London, working 65-70 hour weeks (a hard ‘no’ on my end) at NLW. The guy also started digging into me personally- going on about how I apparently ‘spoke too fast’ or something. I ended the interview about that point, and as I was leaving he gave me this patronising spiel about how I’d never work in the industry if I turned down such good work as he was offering. It was during this spiel that my phone went off with an offer from the Monday interview, in the most perfect bit of comedic timing. I smiled, told the guy to shut up and left. (And then everyone clapped etc)

Of course the job I got ended up destroying my mental health and I ended up suing them and getting a year’s wages out of them once I left, but that’s another story :p

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I once had an independent pub try to get me to work an eight-hour unpaid trial shift

I said no and immediately hosed off upon learning this fact - nice try but I'm not covering a shift for free

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
^^^ Guav's post. Thread moved fast.

I was on a call last night with someone related to work and she said 'we have these things we call sprints' and 'stories' and I said "aha - I smell Agile". "Yes, we use Agile" she said. My boss just looked at us and said "I have no idea what you two are on about." Anyway, we have a planning meeting on Monday and the boss has decided we're going to do 'stories'.

Recruiters often don't know what they're looking for or if they do, they don't know what they have to ask for.

Two of my best jobs have transpired from when I was temping in an organisation and a new role came up and even though they didn't know where to begin to write a job spec or JD, they were like 'don't know what we want but we know she can do it' so I helped design the JDs for the jobs I applied for. In both cases recruitment process only yielded one other applicant besides myself.

The job I have got now is nothing like the original JD and uses skills they knew they needed but not how to ask for them eg they knew the website needed overhauling but not that that meant needing someone who could use Wordpress.

If I did leave, then they would very much have a wishlist of "Wordpress, Xero, Salesforce admin, IT, Handyman" alongside all the other regular admin type stuff. Not sure how many applicants they would get at my mingy salary but it suits me for now being part-time & just 10 mins walk from home and mostly WFH.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In my most recent interview they asked me how good I thought I would be at the job, I said "I'm not really sure" and one of the interviewers replied "Nah, I reckon you'd be all right actualy"

Been there 5 months and I'm crushing it

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

happyhippy posted:

Oh, I had another weird one.
The makers of the PS1 version of Grand Theft Auto 1. Not Rockstar, they were called Visual Science, then DMA Design.
They had me over for a weekend, and interviewed on both days.
Then they said they wanted me to actually do a coding test over the two days, but had no spare computers.
So they wanted me to do it after I go home, and email them it.
I didn't have a computer, told them that, they said it was no problem, type it out and send it to them.
So I went home, spent two days in the local library on WORD typing out C++ code, and sent them it.
And they got all huffy when it wouldn't even compile.
They got angry at the recruit agency that sent me.

When I interviewed for Gremlin, I tried to show demos of my Amiga assembler stuff (bad wolfenstein style demo), but they had no working amigas, so I said 'not to worry' and dumped a 100 sheet dot matrix printout of the hand coded assembler.
I later found out the interviewer was a Producer and literally had no clue what any of it meant. I did get the job in the end.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I remember my aunt telling me years ago about doing interviews for a secreterial position, and her colleage first of all going through and throwing out any that were in blue ink. There was no 'black ink only' requirement on the form, she just thought blue was too 'unserious' or something like that - if she was around now I have absolutely no doubt she'd use the word woke.

Of course that was back when you'd have maybe 20 applications for a job. My friend who works uni security said when they advertised for a job a few years ago, they got 300ish responses. Most were either jobseekers trying to meet their quota or people from other collapsed security firms who would be unable to provide previous references.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm not sure if they are giving training, which would be the worrying part. I'm kind of expected to manage a bunch of people and talk to outside contractors. But I've done that in real life anyway.

It's just a pain and I'd prefer it if I could just have a managerial job without jumping through hoops.

Is what it is I suppose and thank you for the kind words everyone!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/RandallNortham/status/1577654391133331457?t=yu3vdTBTohUTkUaFTHIyLQ&s=19
So I can only assume that she thinks those things are all good?

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Drinkslinger posted:

I once had an independent pub try to get me to work an eight-hour unpaid trial shift

I said no and immediately hosed off upon learning this fact - nice try but I'm not covering a shift for free

I had a place try to tell me at the end of my first shift [a hectic Friday as sous chef in a busy kitchen] that it had actually been an unpaid trial shift but congratulations you did really well and you start getting paid tomorrow!

Unfortunately for them they told me this while I was between them and the door. I got paid and "fired" in one fell swoop.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
NICOLA STURGEON :argh:

Spoiler for a post by a notorious Terf.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1577964493702938626?t=C7FfzJG2_UeT3WvxAA8Gsg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Genuinely surprised that it doesn't (only ever been on as far as Glasgow) would make sense though to link up with the ferry services.

It arrives in Fort William in good time to connect with the Mallaig train I think. Or it used to anyway, when Scotrail still had the Sleeper franchise

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Since a lot of interview chat is happening in this thread, I just want to big up all of you who are interviewing at the moment, especially for those of you who are currently not working. Job hunting and interviewing sucks massively and I hope you get offered a decent role at a good salary, each and every one of you.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

frytechnician posted:

This is 100% true and you get bonus points for saying things like "You can't make an omelete without breaking a few eggs" when asked about any moral decision you might have to forgo that keeps you from your bonus.

For real if it's a job with comission or bonuses as a key part of the pay, and you mention that you want to get as many of those as possible and make lots of money, that will be a big green tick in your interview. So it's not a hard rule to avoid saying that. For working class people that's mostly telesales though. Which is a strange job in terms of class analysis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

NICOLA STURGEON :argh:

Spoiler for a post by a notorious Terf.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1577964493702938626?t=C7FfzJG2_UeT3WvxAA8Gsg
https://twitter.com/thestuffofmemes/status/1578056995231485952

JKR is trending every day on twitter now, and it's always for some poo poo like that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

The estimated damage was £200 cleaning costs, but there is an elevated sentencing premium as she desecrated a holy statue of a hero soldier saint god thing.... so it's as though she did £5000+ worth of damage as far as sentencing guidelines go.

how do they get 200 quid

just need a bucket and a brush

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

how do they get 200 quid

Outsourcing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One kid on minimum wage with pre used brush: £10

Management fees: £190

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

crispix posted:

how do they get 200 quid

I could imagine the company doing the cleaning having an existing contract with a large fee for showing up for jobs. Doesn't really matter for the day-to-day cleaning because that's a big enough job that the fee doesn't matter much, and for special occasions like this you can probably make someone else pay.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
could become one of those new-fangled harlem-stir type things the young people do, there

going bathroom over effigies of late national hero and now gin brand taptamtom

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I could imagine the company doing the cleaning having an existing contract with a large fee for showing up for jobs. Doesn't really matter for the day-to-day cleaning because that's a big enough job that the fee doesn't matter much, and for special occasions like this you can probably make someone else pay.

The NHS gets bled dry by stupid loving contracts like that, because of Tonty Loadsamoney Blair's maniacal fixation on sound financial planning getting the taxpayer to pay five times what anything's actually worth.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
No scrum master? That hole digging job was doomed from the start

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/thestuffofmemes/status/1578056995231485952

JKR is trending every day on twitter now, and it's always for some poo poo like that.

They spelt Wheesht correctly. :thumbsup:

Thank the gods i'm 'retired', never want that crap again... unless they pay me £700 per week after tax, in which case i might for a few years. :shrug:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

They spelt Wheesht correctly. :thumbsup:

Thank the gods i'm 'retired', never want that crap again... unless they pay me £700 per week after tax, in which case i might for a few years. :shrug:

They say that everyone has their price, but I respect you having a specific one already planned out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

frances wheeshtman

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

OwlFancier posted:

Is it just me or does truss look like she aged 10 years in the last couple of months?

I don't know if it just a different style to try and look hard but it's odd.

I got a popup in my google discovery feed that she's wearing the same outfit as the evil right wing Farage-like character from the TV show Years and Years
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2022/oct/05/dictator-chic-why-did-liz-truss-wear-the-same-outfit-as-a-fictional-fascist

My hunch is that people like her are too lazy/focusgrouped to choose their own public outfit and someone got her to wear it as a prank she's too stupid to realise is even happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I have an interview tomorrow!

Sadly it's an internal one for a business analysis/management role (I have zero experience or interest in the actual team management side). It would be a decent pay bump and I get on pretty well with all levels of management here, but it'll definitely be of the 'talk about the projects you've run!' kind and ehhhhh. I mainly applied so the role wouldn't go to a person worse than me :v: