Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

California has become the second state to legalize jaywalking (Virginia just barely beat them to it).

It is currently legal in California, Virginia, and Kansas City, MO.

https://twitter.com/badler/status/1577749464860790785

This is great to see. The quoted activist is 100% right that we should ban turning right on red, as well, but I think that's a lot harder of a political sell for now. I'd also like to see more pedestrianized streets, more bus lanes, wider sidewalks, better protected bike lanes, less driveways on busy streets, and a hundred other little reforms to make it more pleasant to not drive everywhere. Luckily, it seems like this is becoming the Democratic consensus, with both federal and state Democrats pushing for these sorts of reforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah the last 14 times I've almost hit a pedestrian it has been my fault for not looking well enough turning right on a red.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

VikingofRock posted:

This is great to see. The quoted activist is 100% right that we should ban turning right on red, as well, but I think that's a lot harder of a political sell for now. I'd also like to see more pedestrianized streets, more bus lanes, wider sidewalks, better protected bike lanes, less driveways on busy streets, and a hundred other little reforms to make it more pleasant to not drive everywhere. Luckily, it seems like this is becoming the Democratic consensus, with both federal and state Democrats pushing for these sorts of reforms.

No such thing as Right On Red in NYC, plus universal speed limit of 25 unless otherwise posted.

Ofc it doesn't stop everything, but it helps a lot.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randalor posted:

I mean, there's literally no way out of buying twitter unless they drop the lawsuit at this point, right?

I believe he can pay 10 billion dollars to not buy it, which honestly might be the best deal for him at this point.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Leon Sumbitches posted:

No such thing as Right On Red in NYC, plus universal speed limit of 25 unless otherwise posted.

Hasn't traffic enforcement in NYC basically ceased causing a full mad max environment with spiking ped deaths

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I believe he can pay 10 billion dollars to not buy it, which honestly might be the best deal for him at this point.

No, that is not the case.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

slurm posted:

Hasn't traffic enforcement in NYC basically ceased causing a full mad max environment with spiking ped deaths

No.

Year after year, pedestrian deaths have declined since the implementation of vision zero.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is a problem with bicyclist deaths, but that's a totally different set of circumstances

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In 2021, NYC had a huge surge in pedestrians being hit by cars (but, not necessarily dying from it). The NYT article about it even semi-hilariously interviewed someone who got hit by a car after the interview and another person who said they had been hit by a car twice at the same intersection that year.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got a nice chuckle out of the bill being named The Freedom to Walk Act, I gotta admit.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Ah, yes. The Ratso Rizzo Act.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

susan b buffering posted:

No, that is not the case.

Welp, I was misinformed then.

I guess he could still get out of buying it by just doing the usual rich guy thing of doing something blatantly illegal and suffering no consequences from it because as a society we've just sort of decided the wealthy are allowed to do crimes?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

In Massachusetts, jaywalking is a crime, for which the fine is $1 for the first three instances in a year, after which it doubles :911:

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/pay-a-jaywalking-ticket posted:

Fines for jaywalking within a year are:

First, second, and third offenses — $1
Fourth and subsequent offenses — $2

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

In Massachusetts, jaywalking is a crime, for which the fine is $1 for the first three instances in a year, after which it doubles :911:

is it a law from, like, 1893 and they just didn't update a single part of it since then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently this happened earlier

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1577786591401107456?s=20&t=9bqOUZqSucLDxA9cHNrS9g

The panel was all Republican appointees. This is now the 3rd admin that has had to fight in court over DACA.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Welp, I was misinformed then.

I guess he could still get out of buying it by just doing the usual rich guy thing of doing something blatantly illegal and suffering no consequences from it because as a society we've just sort of decided the wealthy are allowed to do crimes?

Delaware is the beating heart of corporate law and also where several of his companies are incorporated, so if he goes with "actually i will simply not pay the judgement" the judge can trivially go either "okay I am confiscating X billion dollars of tesla stock to pay twitter" or "okay I am making you pay Y big number per day for contempt of court until you comply, which I will ensure by confiscating Tesla stock"

also he's a wealthy person going up against a wealthy corp so

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if there is one thing American courts are good at doing, it is moving money from one party in a lawsuit to the other based on judicial edicts

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if there is one thing American courts are good at doing, it is moving money from one party in a lawsuit to the other based on judicial edicts

American courts are actually exceptionally bad at this 95% of the time. Most state civil judgements aren't even valid in another state until you file in that state and get a reciprocal approval. Wage garnishments are almost always handled by the employer and not automatically applied. It's also on the person who won the judgement to find out where the person works and get wage garnishment set up. That's why so many judgements go to collections or just never get paid.

The 5% of the time where it is good at this is in Chancery court, which is wear Musk's suit currently is. So, in this case, it would be pretty bad for Musk to decide he just won't comply.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I dealt with that at the local level with small claims court, where I would have to explain to some people that yeah, you won in court, but now you have to find a way to enforce the judgment and that's a whole secondary issue that will probably go nowhere

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I was thinking Big Number and/or intra-state, but I have successfully been owned

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently this happened earlier

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1577786591401107456?s=20&t=9bqOUZqSucLDxA9cHNrS9g

The panel was all Republican appointees. This is now the 3rd admin that has had to fight in court over DACA.

It's worth noting that this particular ruling doesn't really mean anything, because it's only ruling on the three-page memorandum of intent that was used to originally establish DACA. But that memorandum expires for good on October 30th.

The Biden administration, in an attempt to ward off some of the avenues for legal challenges, has replaced it with a 400+ page formal policy established through the official executive rulemaking process, which goes into effect on October 30th and will replace the old DACA memorandum.

Will this actually affect anything in the long run? Hard to say. But in the short-term, the court has explicitly declined to rule on the upcoming rule at this time, despite literally everyone in the case requesting that they do so. So the court is only overturning the existing DACA memorandum, and expressing no opinion on the replacement DACA policy that comes into effect at the end of the month. It'll take another round or two of litigation before that one comes up, and the Fifth Circuit (which I feel will likely overturn the new rule as well) seems well aware that the case will eventually end up in front of the Supreme Court and that the SC is not necessarily fully on board with their reasoning.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

California has become the second state to legalize jaywalking (Virginia just barely beat them to it).

It is currently legal in California, Virginia, and Kansas City, MO.

https://twitter.com/badler/status/1577749464860790785

Good to see. So much needs to be changed about car centric culture.

VikingofRock posted:

It's drat near impossible to walk anywhere in many municipalities if your day isn't fully located inside of a downtown urban district and even then you can expect to run into situations where you basically HAVE to walk in roadways or through traffic to reach some areas. It was insane that we ever allowed car companies to destroy the walkability of American life, much less criminalize something you're forced to do if you don't have a car in most states.

Example in my (usually pretty ok) locality: I can walk up and down the street my apartment is on towards a metro station, I can walk past that to the local strip mall, and I can push it a bit more to reach a Costco. That gets me MOST things if I wanna walk/bike. Wanna do something fun though? Oh no, past the Costco, just another quarter mile is the "old town"/nightlife restaurant district.....and there's a series of onramps and highway to get past to get there from where I am. Cannot pass on foot or bike legally. And yes it's also the rich part of town. (I technically CAN get there without car/buss but it requires going the opposite way and joining the river walk path 2 miles down the road and then taking a small trail that connects with a park at the edge of Old Town. Oh and all of that is "closed" at dusk and is regularly patrolled at night to keep homeless away so good luck trying to go to the bar/get dinner and get home without hassle, fines, or an overnight)

I could take the bus, but again: trying to do anything in the evening/nightlife related is nearly impossible outside of special event nights where they keep the busses running later than 9pm. 100% constructed to keep poor people away from the rich part of town.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You mean to tell me those Jay Leno segments were against the law?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Push El Burrito posted:

You mean to tell me those Jay Leno segments were against the law?

Leno never crossed the intersection to interview people.

Plus, it's only illegal if you get caught.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Main Paineframe posted:

Based on both his public claims and private stuff that came out during discovery, Musk's plans for Twitter include convincing a bunch of people to sign up for optional paid subscription services (like Twitter Blue), mass layoffs of Twitter employees to cut costs, maybe a Twitter-based payments system, and assuming Twitter's actual human userbase will triple within three years after he bans all the bots and unbans all the brave free speech warriors of the far right. There's also other ideas he's tossed around but clearly hasn't thought through, like charging important people a fee to tweet, creating a blockchain-based Twitter database to resist censorship, or turning Twitter into a WeChat competitor.

Oh, he's utterly hosed on this then.

Too bad being a billionaire means that you can gently caress up almost as much as you want and still be a billionaire

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Main Paineframe posted:

The entire reason he's being sued right now is because he's trying to back out of buying Twitter, even though he had no real legal grounds to do so. It seems like he hoped to find something incredibly humiliating or incriminating in discovery, and use the threat of disclosing that publicly to force Twitter to back down. But it turns out that, despite the fact that Musk himself largely refused to cooperate with discovery and tried to cover up the existence of a bunch of stuff, Twitter found way more humiliating and/or incriminating stuff from Elon's side. His billionaire friends have been thoroughly embarrassed, he's been caught in several lies that are guaranteed to completely doom his case at trial, and now Twitter's lawyers are starting to find evidence of even more misconduct. His plan has thoroughly backfired at this point, as not only did it completely fail, but it also gave Twitter a very good case for insisting that they can't trust anything he says.

It seems like the whole impetus of the lawsuit from Musk's perspectivewas that musk thought he could catch Twitter on discovery worse than they could catch him.

Based on the chatter I've been seeing (which granted could be full bullshit in which case my feet go in my mouth) , it seems like musk folded when they started pushing for discovery on communications between himself and that fired chief security officer. I'm guessing there's some sort of payola or fraud to do there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Actually, you do have to let people shoot each other on Fifth Avenue and get away with it

quote:

A federal judge in New York on Thursday temporarily blocked parts of the state's new gun law to allow the Gun Owners of America, an advocacy group, to pursue a lawsuit challenging the legislation.

The law came into effect on Sept. 1, creating new requirements for obtaining a license, including submitting social media accounts for review, and creating a long list of public and private places where having a gun became a felony crime, even for license holders.

Lawmakers in New York's Democratic-controlled legislature had passed the law during an emergency session in July after the U.S. Supreme Court found the state's licensing regime for firearms to be unconstitutional following a challenge by the New York affiliate of the National Rifle Association, a powerful gun-owners' rights group.

The order strikes down some of the places in which guns were banned (Times Square, theaters and arenas, public transit) while leaving others in effect (schools, polling places, government facilities). It also reverses some of the tightening of requirements for concealed carry permits. It will go into effect in three days unless the state can get a higher court to overrule it first.

The judge who issued this order was appointed by George W. Bush.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

It seems like the whole impetus of the lawsuit from Musk's perspectivewas that musk thought he could catch Twitter on discovery worse than they could catch him.

Based on the chatter I've been seeing (which granted could be full bullshit in which case my feet go in my mouth) , it seems like musk folded when they started pushing for discovery on communications between himself and that fired chief security officer. I'm guessing there's some sort of payola or fraud to do there.

you're overthinking it

the impetus of the lawsuit was musk sobered up and realized he bought twitter at double what it was worth, while tesla stock (where all his wealth is) was sliding. so he said gently caress you im not going to do it because, well, he didn't want to. unfortunately for him, he signed a binding contract (he may not have understood this, he seems to not really grasp the M&A process), so twitter sued him to enforce it. because he has lots of money, he said "make this go away" to some high-priced lawyers and they charged him lots of money to give it the ol' college try because when you're on the hook for $44 billion for something worth, maybe, $22 billion, spending a few tens of millions for a few percentage points of chance you can get out of it is very much worth it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Urban Institute is out with their first comprehensive study on the U.S. housing market in two decades and the news not good. They also predict it will get worse without major changes.

- With the exception of California (whose changes are still too new to assess their impact) every state in the country has made it more difficult to build new housing in existing areas since 2000.

- Private and public development for new housing has also slowed dramatically since 2000 with especially huge slowdowns that never recovered in 2009 and 2020.

- Communities that have seen housing prices surge have walled themselves off from new housing construction out of a combination of desires by long-term residents to keep housing values high, avoid "gentrification," and backlash against an influx of new out of state residents.

- Poorer communities have also seen housing supplies dry up because these low cost communities don't draw anyone who wants to buy houses and the rents are too low to justify private developers building new rental units.

So, the U.S. has twin housing problems:

On the one hand, there are about 25 major metro areas where new housing is extremely hard to build, but huge amounts of people want to live there. But, local governments and property owners are doing everything they can to prevent people from being able to move there cheaply.

On the other hand, you have communities in the rust belt and similar areas that are dying and have cheap housing, but nothing to attract people there and nobody is building any new housing there to support a revival even if one did actually happen. These communities desperately want more housing and jobs to be built there, but nobody wants to move there or build there.

quote:

Housing construction in the United States has failed to match population growth for decades. Growth in housing availability depends on developer interest in responding to local real-estate market demand, but local governments also influence housing production through land-use regulations. Is the location of additional housing supply aligned with what we might expect given developers’ interest in investing in more expensive, in-demand communities? Or do certain local characteristics undermine the production of new housing?

Adequate housing supply is critical to ensuring affordability. But for the past few decades, private investment in new housing construction has slowed, and government subsidies for affordable housing have failed to keep up. As a result, housing is more expensive than ever for many Americans.

Though the national story is clear, changes in housing supply vary considerably within metropolitan areas, with some communities adding plenty of homes, and others losing them as they demolish buildings and convert small multifamily buildings into individual homes.

In new research, I examined these patterns in municipalities across the United States between 2000 and 2020. I found variation within metropolitan areas stems from two primary trends: significant housing underproduction not only in undervalued communities that cannot attract development but also in many high-housing-cost communities that have leveraged land-use regulations to prevent new construction despite local demand for construction. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to the problem; boosting supply will require federal, state, and local policymakers to collaborate and tailor production approaches to each type of community.

Both the lowest- and the highest-value communities underproduced housing

For my analysis, I examined median housing values, permitting data, and local demographics. I compare the amount of housing added in municipalities nationwide against overall metropolitan growth and specifically examine the most exclusive cities—those with high housing values in growing metropolitan areas, that feature little housing growth.

I found the US cities with the lowest-value housing stock (places where homes are worth less than half the regional average) experienced extremely slow housing-unit growth between 2000 and 2020. The median such jurisdiction added housing units at only 10 percent of the rate of its encompassing region.

This speaks to the difficulty such undervalued communities—places like Gary, Indiana; Reading, Pennsylvania; or Trenton, New Jersey—face in attracting development. Whether or not local decisionmakers want more housing, it simply isn’t being built within their boundaries.

On the other hand, many municipalities with housing values at or above those of their respective metropolitan areas built considerably more housing on average. Such communities include wealthy suburbs like Alpharetta, Georgia, and Glenview, Illinois, and central cities like Seattle. This suggests developers are building in areas where they believe they’ll get a reasonable return on their investment.

I found higher municipal housing-unit growth and permitting were also associated with higher median household incomes and educational attainment on average. Again, this indicates development is likely to follow the people who can pay for housing units in new-construction buildings.

But this story is nuanced. Many of the most attractive communities—with some of the priciest housing stock—block development. They are likely using land-use regulations that prevent apartments from being built to limit construction, reducing housing availability and increasing housing costs.

Indeed, of the nation’s most-in-demand municipalities—those where housing values are at least 30 percent higher than their respective metropolitan areas—less than a third added more housing than their encompassing region, despite plentiful developer demand to build there. In contrast, more than 40 percent of such jurisdictions added new housing at 50 percent or less of the rates of their respective metropolitan areas—and many actually lost housing units.

Municipalities with relative housing values between 110 and 130 percent of metropolitan averages added the most housing overall.

Development patterns vary by metropolitan area

Most US regions disproportionately added new housing in exurban, sprawling, unincorporated areas between 2000 and 2020. These areas typically have the fewest regulatory constraints on new construction and lower construction costs. But trends vary widely between metropolitan areas.

In the San Francisco Bay Area—the most expensive large urban region in the nation—San Francisco and San Jose added housing units at roughly the metropolitan average, or above it, over the past two decades (though the region is not adding enough housing to keep up with demand). But many of the smaller, wealthier suburbs surrounding them, like Belmont, added housing at only half of the regional rate. Those communities became increasingly expensive at the same time.

In the New York City region, several large suburban cities like Hoboken, Jersey City; Newark, New Jersey; and Stamford, Connecticut, added proportionately more new units between 2000 and 2020 than New York City. Meanwhile, exclusive communities like Tenafly, New Jersey—with median household incomes of more than $170,000—built very few new units.

The most exclusionary communities raise unique challenges

In some ways, cities like Belmont and Tenafly reflect nationwide trends. These in-demand municipalities don’t suffer from the deficit in development demand their low-value peers face. Yet evidence shows many local governments use restrictive land-use regulations, like zoning policies limiting development to large-lot single-family homes, to prevent construction. Though communities like Jersey City have allowed the construction of large towers, Tenafly has enforced a zoning code (PDF) that prevents anything but single-family homes from being built on most of its territory.

Similar stories can be told about the zoning rules in many in-demand, low-housing-production cities, such as Calabasas, California; Hudson, Ohio; Scarsdale, New York; and University Park, Texas.

Ultimately, this means many wealthy suburbs free ride on the attractiveness of their metropolitan areas, watching their property values grow in response to demand—while gas station attendants, teachers, and service industry workers are priced out because of limited housing availability.

How policymakers can address housing shortages nationwide

The Biden administration recently introduced a national Housing Supply Action Plan that proposes a set of new policies the federal government could undertake to address the nation’s underproduction of residences. This is a good start for what unquestionably will require action by local and state governments as well.

To address the housing development shortage within undervalued communities, governments at all levels should consider increasing place-based investment in residential construction, such as through direct investment in units through social housing programs. This could also attract private developer interest in undervalued neighborhoods, ultimately leading to more units and amenities that could give residents a better quality of life.

To address inadequate housing construction in high-value, in-demand communities, the federal government and states should consider leveraging financial and political tools to encourage or require these jurisdictions to do their part to house a fair share of the region’s residents of all backgrounds. Such leverage could include conditioning transportation, infrastructure, and housing grant support on land-use rules encouraging housing development. In France, a mandate that cities demonstrate real progress in providing affordable housing has been successful. States could also take lessons from California and Oregon and consider overriding local rules that limit housing construction to just single-family units.

The US’s housing shortage crisis is widespread but uneven. Policymakers must evaluate and understand housing stock variation within metropolitan areas so they can tailor production approaches accordingly for maximum impact.

https://twitter.com/yfreemark/status/1578054567169851392

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden is de-scheduling weed, pardoning everyone convicted of federal weed charges, and asking states to do the same.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1578097875480895489
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1578097879390031874
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1578097882070192129
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1578097883395592207

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
holy poo poo the crime bill guy is pardoining weed possession

that's really good in a vacuum but boy is it weird coming from him

editing in the actual comic to spite the posters below me

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 6, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Brandon needs to smoke up so he doesn’t get too pissed off at OPEC+ countries.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally, Biden has stopped giving a hot gay gently caress what Congress says

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Goku-Scream-Legalize-Weed-Dude.png

It's about goddamned time. loving sucks my state's new chud governor is undoing all the progress we've made at the state level as fast as he can, but I don't think he's going to get much further with this hanging over him.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'm gonna spend the $10,000 I saved in student loan payments on weed now.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'm gonna spend the $10,000 I saved in student loan payments on weed now.

No!!! That’ll lead to inflation!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I did not see that one coming.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Full statement is here:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/10/06/statement-from-president-biden-on-marijuana-reform/

quote:

As I often said during my campaign for President, no one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana. Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit. Criminal records for marijuana possession have also imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And while white and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people have been arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates.

Today, I am announcing three steps that I am taking to end this failed approach.

First, I am announcing a pardon of all prior Federal offenses of simple possession of marijuana. I have directed the Attorney General to develop an administrative process for the issuance of certificates of pardon to eligible individuals. There are thousands of people who have prior Federal convictions for marijuana possession, who may be denied employment, housing, or educational opportunities as a result. My action will help relieve the collateral consequences arising from these convictions.

Second, I am urging all Governors to do the same with regard to state offenses. Just as no one should be in a Federal prison solely due to the possession of marijuana, no one should be in a local jail or state prison for that reason, either.

Third, I am asking the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Attorney General to initiate the administrative process to review expeditiously how marijuana is scheduled under federal law. Federal law currently classifies marijuana in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, the classification meant for the most dangerous substances. This is the same schedule as for heroin and LSD, and even higher than the classification of fentanyl and methamphetamine – the drugs that are driving our overdose epidemic.

Finally, even as federal and state regulation of marijuana changes, important limitations on trafficking, marketing, and under-age sales should stay in place.

Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana. It’s time that we right these wrongs.

A lot of the review for schedule revision is up in the air- Biden's not explicitly asking for complete descheduling. I interpret this as the admin having received word from Senate actors that the cannabis legalization bills are moribund and needing to take action for an October surprise.

I gotta note that while I believe the market's not as bonkers as it was say five years ago, the actual process of moving cannabis to legal status and the ensuing regulatory buildout is an absolute nightmare- we've really not got any precedent for it federally, and there are a bunch of severe problems not remotely addressed by the state regs. I say "though the market's not as bonkers" because a lot of the issues come from the sheer degree of capitalism headed into it from all directions- big ag, small ag, "small" ag, pharma, organized crime, dietary supplements, tobacco, and venture capitalists of all flavors have been trying to tear off their slice of what they see as the next alcohol or tobacco market, and that is a lot of externalities being constructed and exploited by every means possible. This is part of why the cannabis bills have all gotten stuck, despite not having the same partisan divide as usual.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 6, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Discendo Vox posted:

Full statement is here:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/10/06/statement-from-president-biden-on-marijuana-reform/

A lot of the review for schedule revision is up in the air- Biden's not explicitly asking for complete descheduling. I interpret this as the admin having received word from Senate actors that the cannabis legalization bills are moribund and needing to take action for an October surprise.

I gotta note that while I believe the market's not as bonkers as it was say five years ago, the actual process of moving cannabis to legal status and the ensuing regulatory buildout is an absolute nightmare- we've really not got any precedent for it federally, and there are a bunch of severe problems not remotely addressed by the state regs. I say "though the market's not as bonkers" because a lot of the issues come from the sheer degree of capitalism headed into it from all directions- big ag, small ag, "small" ag, pharma, organized crime, dietary supplements, tobacco, and venture capitalists of all flavors have been trying to tear off their slice of what they see as the next alcohol or tobacco market, and that is a lot of externalities being constructed and exploited by every means possible. This is part of why the cannabis bills have all gotten stuck, despite not having the same partisan divide as usual.

Is the last part that much of an issue now? Weed is legal in 19 states, a lot of this apparatus exists already. I would think enough states have gone through the trial and error of legalization that the feds could figure it out.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
If it gets bumped down from Schedule 1 (no valid/beneficial use) then dispensaries will be able to start doing legit banking operations and not whatever end-run they're doing now. That will be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Eric Cantonese posted:

No!!! That’ll lead to inflation!

Gonna be as high as the CPI :420: