Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

King Carnivore posted:

Do make sure you make your rent, though. I believe it’s possible to irrecoverably hard lock the game if you fail to make the rent.

Don’t sweat it too much, though. There’s plenty of money to be made in the world.
I think they might have added a failsafe for that in the Director's Cut (or an earlier patch?) if I'm not mistaken

edit: Nevermind I think I'm misremembering. Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That poo poo sounds too loving real.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
It’s one of the few ways you can actually “gently caress up” a run

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

King Carnivore posted:

It’s one of the few ways you can actually “gently caress up” a run

Life*

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

King Carnivore posted:

Do make sure you make your rent, though. I believe it’s possible to irrecoverably hard lock the game if you fail to make the rent.

Don’t sweat it too much, though. There’s plenty of money to be made in the world.

Isn't it more losing the game than a hard lock? There are a few "endings" that can come early like if you shoot cunoesse

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

a7m2 posted:

Isn't it more losing the game than a hard lock? There are a few "endings" that can come early like if you shoot cunoesse
The way I remember it is the time just stops progressing at 2AM and there's no way forward

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

Should have done the check imo sometimes miracles can happen. Not the end of the world though

Holy poo poo.
Just tried the check with Rene that was 12% chance I let lie before passed it MIRACULOUSLY and get all this dialogue from an aged veteran.

Composure, Medium: Success
"It's in his spine, in his billowing breast. An untarnished self worth."
:munch:

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Volte posted:

The way I remember it is the time just stops progressing at 2AM and there's no way forward

That’s right. Eventually everyone goes to sleep and since time only progresses if you’re interacting with a person or object, and provided all the tare available to you has already been harvested, time just stands still and you have no where to sleep to progress time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

King Carnivore posted:

That’s right. Eventually everyone goes to sleep and since time only progresses if you’re interacting with a person or object, and provided all the tare available to you has already been harvested, time just stands still and you have no where to sleep to progress time.

Eternity on the street, no time, no money, no rest. Only the cold and the loneliness.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m honestly just surprised that Kotaku or whoever hasn’t managed to get a good leak out of ZA/UM right now. It’s not usually hard to get some scoop out of disgruntled employees or ex-employees. Either they’re still working on the story or there might genuinely have been some weird dynamics in the studio.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Volte posted:

https://discoelysium.fandom.com/wiki/Endings#DISGRACED_COP_SLEEPS_IN_TRASH
Link contains major spoilers obviously

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

King Carnivore posted:

I think you can ask Garte for the key to sleep in the trash can and get a non-standard game over. e: according to the above, you do need the associated though at least to get the associated achievement.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Now for the REAL question, do I want to hit the 1% chance to impress Rene with my own heroics?

Yes. Yes I do.

e;
oh, oh this is quite embarrassing.

e2;
And took up being the rich lady the boat henchman against the Union without Kim around. Man Im a real gently caress up.

e;3
You know that rule about no one stopping you and get in anywhere when youre carring a ladder? same for if you have a ledger and a crowbar!

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

MariusLecter posted:

e;3
You know that rule about no one stopping you and get in anywhere when youre carring a ladder? same for if you have a ledger and a crowbar!

I assume you're talking about the game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

Holy poo poo.
Just tried the check with Rene that was 12% chance I let lie before passed it MIRACULOUSLY and get all this dialogue from an aged veteran.

Composure, Medium: Success
"It's in his spine, in his billowing breast. An untarnished self worth."
:munch:

I’m enjoying this very much

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MariusLecter posted:

Now for the REAL question, do I want to hit the 1% chance to impress Rene with my own heroics?

Now, now, it's 3%. Well, 2.777...%, but the game displays it as 3%.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

my current run with all points in electrochemistry, savior faire, inland (can’t travel around without my BFF necktie! obviously) has been an absolute hoot. Full-on degen Harry is a delight.

Also feels like I’m getting more Shivers passives than when I pumped up those stats last time? It’s been interesting for sure.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the escape goat posted:

Also feels like I’m getting more Shivers passives than when I pumped up those stats last time? It’s been interesting for sure.

passives can conflict with one another, like, a failure of one can be replied by the success of another, etc

that’s one reason why having weak spots can allow for more interesting playthroughs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Gay Thoughts Unlocked.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Be sure to talk to your partner about it.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
BE GAY

DO SOLVE CRIME

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

UnknownMercenary posted:

Be sure to talk to your partner about it.

Wasn't an option while we waited on the swing for the low tide to investigate the crashed car.

And it was pretty obvious what the mystery of the car was gonna lead to it's still really loving great the way it's all presented...

Oh God, no...

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Wasn't an option while we waited on the swing for the low tide to investigate the crashed car.

And it was pretty obvious what the mystery of the car was gonna lead to it's still really loving great the way it's all presented...

Oh God, no...

Lmao that part is great. In hindsight it seems obvious but it's a total gut punch when it happens.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Lmao that part is great. In hindsight it seems obvious but it's a total gut punch when it happens.

Knew it from the visual calculus when I first inspected the wrecked fence. Only a daredevil superstar hobo cop questioning their sexuality in their mid/late? thirties could pull off those maneuvers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MariusLecter posted:

in their mid/late? thirties

There's actually a thought for that!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MariusLecter posted:

Oh God, no...

i realized it the same time harry did and had the same response

masterful

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I’m honestly just surprised that Kotaku or whoever hasn’t managed to get a good leak out of ZA/UM right now. It’s not usually hard to get some scoop out of disgruntled employees or ex-employees. Either they’re still working on the story or there might genuinely have been some weird dynamics in the studio.

A proper, Jason Schreier-level report on the internal working conditions of a studio takes months to put together. I’m sure every muckraker in games journalism is dialing every number they know on this story, but I wouldn’t expect an exposé on the matter until at least early next year.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Trying to get back into this again, a few non-spoilery questions:

1) Is it worth it to get a bag and go around collecting bottles to turn in for money? Besides roleplaying hobocop it seems like an inefficient way of spending time and I can just beg the rich lady for money to get enough to pay off my debt.

2) Should I be ignoring most of the thoughts that it gives me to internalize? Having to spend skill points to unlock new thought slots instead of spending them on stats makes it seem like I should be selective about which ones I'm choosing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

1) Is it worth it to get a bag and go around collecting bottles to turn in for money? Besides roleplaying hobocop it seems like an inefficient way of spending time and I can just beg the rich lady for money to get enough to pay off my debt.

2) Should I be ignoring most of the thoughts that it gives me to internalize? Having to spend skill points to unlock new thought slots instead of spending them on stats makes it seem like I should be selective about which ones I'm choosing.

1. Grabbing bottles won't pass time, but the money you'd make from it ain't much at all. Maybe enough to buy a few consumables.

2. At some point you'll have more skill points than you really know what to do with, so I feel it's worth unlocking thought slots if you see a thought that sounds cool over prioritizing skills.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i realized it the same time harry did and had the same response

masterful

Me too.

"Oh, Harry, no..."

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah me too. I actually felt embarrassed I didn't realise it sooner because it's so incredibly obvious in hindsight, like even more so than most things that are obvious in hindsight. In my defense I didn't find/pass the visual calc check for looking at the hole in the fence behind the Whirling which I had assumed was just a broken fence in a broken neighbourhood.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I found collecting tare worth it. I would just do a sweep once upon entering a new room or area and then put the bag away. I wouldn’t go all the way to fritte just to cash them either, just cash them in when life brings you by fritte. This also lets them pile up so you make a few real when you do cash them in. It’s just something else to do while you jamrock shuffle your way through all the containers you come across and nets you a few bucks.

If you hate doing it though, you certainly don’t have to. Money’s practically unnecessary after the bridge opens and you get access to the shack

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I wish I had been more selective about choosing thoughts but only because some of them didn't fit with my degenerate Agent Dale Cooper losing his grip on reality.

So maybe avoid the ones that don't fit with your vibe. You can always switch them out later in the game though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

With the hobocop thought, every single bottle in the game will net you about 10-12$.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah me too. I actually felt embarrassed I didn't realise it sooner because it's so incredibly obvious in hindsight, like even more so than most things that are obvious in hindsight. In my defense I didn't find/pass the visual calc check for looking at the hole in the fence behind the Whirling which I had assumed was just a broken fence in a broken neighbourhood.

I'm on my second playthrough and yes, with low Perception you don't notice the broken fence at all.

I've also sucked up to Evrart this time. In my first run through the game he did not, in fact, help me find my gun :colbert:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Decided to roll a new game. Going to see how far I can get while refusing to acknowledge that I am a cop and not investigating anything directly relevant to the case.

E:
Trip report: Sadly this is one direction that the game doesn't allow. Most dialogue's don't give you a choice not to be an officer. Kim is very disappointed in me.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 7, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ThaumPenguin posted:

But they did have access to some money: Kender sold his Ferrari. "It was a very sad and pathetic Ferrari," he says.

"The cheapest," Kurvitz says. "It used to belong to Dolph Lundgren."

Very possibly this one from this movie:

LMAO

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Got my gun back. The Pigs is gonna get help from the Hardie Boys and... Empathy is cruel, like a weight stone tied around the neck, slowly strangling those who have it.

Cuno is also taking up the arts.
A lorry driver I don't remember the name of has a bit more hope in humanity.
A dead guy who liked vodka and kebab on the peer is heading to the morgue instead of falling into the sea to be forgotten...
Etc. Etc.

Maybe this is all leading to something close to Bladerunner 2049, a dead detective running themselves ragged and dying to do good and even though it changes nothing in the wider world. Maybe It's enough.

Hobocop staring up at a neon hologram of Kim goes here.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 8, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MariusLecter posted:

Got my gun back. The Pigs is gonna get help from the Hardie Boys and... Empathy is cruel, like a weight stone around the neck, slowly strangling those who have it.

A dead guy who liked vodka and kebab on the peer is heading to the morgue instead of falling into the sea to be forgotten...
Etc. Etc.

Maybe this is all leading to something close to Bladerunner 2049, a dead detective running themselves ragged and dying to do good and even though it changes nothing in the wider world. Maybe It's enough.

This guy gets it dot gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MariusLecter posted:

Got my gun back. The Pigs is gonna get help from the Hardie Boys and... Empathy is cruel, like a weight stone tied around the neck, slowly strangling those who have it.

Etc. Etc.

Disco Elysium will pay off. It is beautiful in ways that are small and huge.