Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It’s basically a Larry King cameo.

lol this got me good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sash! posted:

The Empire, apparently, does not believe in direct deposit and hands out little bags of coins

Reading between the lines, the infrastructure for full FTL communications/banking is somewhat hinkier than FTL physical travel.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Madurai posted:

I'd say the Imperial officer is the most obvious wind-up-dead candidate, if only because dramatically, his role would have ended (they aren't going to "climb the same fence twice" as Ms. ISB put it)

Now what are the odds that it's one of the rebels that offs him in order to clean things up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It does seem like he's trying to set things up so pretty he can go right back to work there, which is a dangerously dangly loose end.

The ISB isn't just going to Nathan Fielder voice "oh ok" all the little understaffing coincidences he lined up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The way the heist has to play out with the ship leaving the cargo bay it feels like someone will have to stay behind when something goes wrong to keep the door open or block anyone from following.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sash! posted:

The Empire, apparently, does not believe in direct deposit and hands out little bags of coins

Fascists love physical money.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Fascists love physical money.

I thought bullion was a libertarian thing

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

i say swears online posted:

I thought bullion was a libertarian thing

As i said, Fascists love physical money.

A Libertarian is just a fascist who wants to smoke weed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sash! posted:

Rebels don't either. Han Solo was literally loading up crates of money onto a dolly after he delivered Luke and Leia to Yavin.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sash! posted:

Star Wars has always operated on the assumptions of the 1930s.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Halloween Jack posted:

One of the problems with Disney Star Wars is that it's a franchise about violent revolution but none of the good guys are allowed to be the kind of people who would ever take part in a violent revolution

Edit: See also Boba Fett, the crime lord who doesn't smuggle drugs or hire enforcers to collect money from his nonexistent rackets
you said it better than i could've.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Reading between the lines, the infrastructure for full FTL communications/banking is somewhat hinkier than FTL physical travel.

The empire must have amazing internet though. When the Falcon shows up at the Death Star having traveled thru hyperspace for a considerable amount of time it's immediately identified as "a freighter that blasted out of Tatoonie".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jinnigan posted:

imo its quite a big difference between a guy whos willing to crack a few eggs to make an omelette and a guy who advocates violent rebellion as a large scale political strategy

Specifically, Saw has little consideration for collateral damage and using murder as a first resort. The EU content and Rebels has more than Rogue One but he's violent and paranoid enough to torture or kill his own members on flimsy pretexts and assassinate potential double agents without permission. By the time he died on Jedha, he had basically destroyed his own cell through responding to every reprisal against his violence by trying to increase the violence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sash! posted:

These look like containers of credit chips, which are digital cash cards.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
5 episodes in, and most of the time I don't feel like I'm actually watching a Star War. And that's not a bad thing. The bigger surprise is that I hadn't realized just how much I wasn't used to such a competently written show with internal continuity and characters acting logically.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1578088130963308544?t=Y--oDJayxiQGNwS1VFj4Lg&s=19

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Madurai posted:

Star Wars has always operated on the assumptions of the 1930s.

Yeah, and at best it’s the imagined future of the 1970s, very little wireless computing, large “automated” machines are operated by a man-sized droid working regular controls, their phones suck compare to ours, etc etc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, and at best it’s the imagined future of the 1970s, very little wireless computing, large “automated” machines are operated by a man-sized droid working regular controls, their phones suck compare to ours, etc etc

it all rules. the aesthetic is fantastic. starships should be manual, not fly by wire. someone should be on a bicycle in the engine room to make sure the warp drive gets the RPMs it needs to kick off

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My :rolldice:: only Andor and the Idealist will survive. But the Idealist will have to do something hella cold to get away with it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Squidster posted:

My :rolldice:: only Andor and the Idealist will survive. But the Idealist will have to do something hella cold to get away with it.

accepts a sponsorship to promote the empire, thinking he can use the massive salary to do more good than bad

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
He'll invest in Fascism Offsets, where he matches his new Imperial salary with donations to licensed charities

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

So what is the over/under for how many of the rebels die during the heist? I would say it’s 2.

The trailers show Cassian (fine), Vel (fine), and Nemik (injured) in to-be-aired shots that clearly aren't part of the heist, but anyone else is fair game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doronin posted:

5 episodes in, and most of the time I don't feel like I'm actually watching a Star War. And that's not a bad thing. The bigger surprise is that I hadn't realized just how much I wasn't used to such a competently written show with internal continuity and characters acting logically.

It's also that despite this being a 'prequel' we really have no idea how things are going to play out. Only two of the characters are safe, and Mon Mothma's backstory leading up to her giving the RotJ briefing is a completely blank canvas. There's actual tension and danger and stakes and mystery.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It's also that despite this being a 'prequel' we really have no idea how things are going to play out. Only two of the characters are safe, and Mon Mothma's backstory leading up to her giving the RotJ briefing is a completely blank canvas. There's actual tension and danger and stakes and mystery.

Before, I never thought "Hey, I wonder if Mon Mothma had a family," and even if they're jerks, I am experiencing tension on what's going to happen to them.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

We do know from Rebels that sometime before Yavin something happens that encourages/forces her to throw her senate career in the trash and publicly announce the rebel alliance, so we might get to see what it is exactly that pushes her over the edge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3 posted:

We do know from Rebels that sometime before Yavin something happens that encourages/forces her to throw her senate career in the trash and publicly announce the rebel alliance, so we might get to see what it is exactly that pushes her over the edge.

The Ghorman Massacre, which Tony Gilroy immediately corrected a questioner off the top of his head about. In 2 BBY (which should be in the timeframe of the second season) the Empire slaughters a mass of protesters, leading to her resigning and publicly denouncing Palpatine. Hera Syndulla and the rest of the Ghost crew rescue her from the ISB trying to capture her and the Alliance to Restore the Republic officially becomes a thing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Jerkface posted:

"I already hated the empire, now i don't know the word for how I feel" is a line thats too good to be in star wars

That was really good. I was also a fan of “Any civilized person knows that an open invitation is no invitation at all.”

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

A Libertarian is just a fascist who wants to smoke weed.

Lmao this is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on this here something awful forums.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"Everyone is fighting their own Rebellion" seems to be the tagline of the show and every scene with the rebel characters oozes that sentiment.

I'm loving the scenes, but absolutely no sense where they are going with the ex-corpo character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Madurai posted:

Before, I never thought "Hey, I wonder if Mon Mothma had a family," and even if they're jerks, I am experiencing tension on what's going to happen to them.
After seeing her lovely family I can see why it was easy for her to go all-in on the Rebellion

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don’t think I’ve noticed Ebon Moss-Bachrach until he was on The Bear, but with that show and the job he’s doing in Andor he must be really feeling himself right now.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Madurai posted:

I really like Mothma as the coffeehouse intellectual/discontented liberal member of the regime sort of revolutionary to contrast with the on-the-ground terrorist streetfighters. Not sure if that characterization was already present in older EU stuff, but it's a good idea to use here.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the politics are excellent so far. i love that contrast, as well as that between deputy and inspector in ep 1

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
all I know about the Bear is the dude drank out of a soup cup and everyone lost their minds like it was an ice cream maker

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I really like Mothma as the coffeehouse intellectual/discontented liberal member of the regime sort of revolutionary to contrast with the on-the-ground terrorist streetfighters. Not sure if that characterization was already present in older EU stuff, but it's a good idea to use here.
Apparently she is later responsible for disarming the New Republic, which leads to the First Order almost taking over the galaxy. Good call there Mon.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Not just Mothma - her entire planet is full of coffehouse intellectuals:

Chandrila on Wookieepedia posted:

Chandrilans acquired a reputation throughout the galaxy as arrogant and argumentative, due partly to their emphasis on political education and debate. Since Chandrila was a world with perfect climate and docile animal life, native Chandrilans were unfamiliar with the everyday struggles of life in less comfortable environments. Eager to share their paradisiacal way of life, they found resistance to their ideas baffling.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
more like Chandelierans

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

Lmao this is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on this here something awful forums.

All right. Let's try this again.

A libertarian is just a fascist who wants to gently caress underage kids.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Not just Mothma - her entire planet is full of coffehouse intellectuals:

Isn't her planet Coruscant? She's living in the heights, so it's probably the Star Wars equivalent of a swanky DC suburb in Virginia.

Edit: didn't see the Wookiepedia entry (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Isn't her planet Coruscant? She's living in the heights, so it's probably the Star Wars equivalent of a swanky DC suburb in Virginia.

Edit: didn't see the Wookiepedia entry (lol)

She lives on Coruscant but shes the senator from space lib planet