Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its not too bad considering it comes with the power supply at least (if you need both a PS and a dock), cause you're gonna spend $30-40 on a decent usb-c charger anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

homeless snail posted:

Its not too bad considering it comes with the power supply at least (if you need both a PS and a dock), cause you're gonna spend $30-40 on a decent usb-c charger anyway.

Yeah but also I have a decent USB-C charger, it came with this thing called the Steam Deck.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Question, is the Steam Deck that big of a gamechanger w/r/t emulation? I run emulators on an Nvidia Shield and it works okay but there's noticeable input lag on a lot of stuff; how's the lag on this solution?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No wonder my payment STILL isn’t going through jfc

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

loquacius posted:

Question, is the Steam Deck that big of a gamechanger w/r/t emulation? I run emulators on an Nvidia Shield and it works okay but there's noticeable input lag on a lot of stuff; how's the lag on this solution?

More performance headroom on the Deck's APU over the Shield's Tegra SoC for one thing. Could probably run more advanced features like frame runahead (I forget what it's called...) probably.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 6, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yeah but also I have a decent USB-C charger, it came with this thing called the Steam Deck.

It's so you can park the dock somewhere permanent

I don't have anywhere to do such a thing yet in my studio

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loquacius posted:

Doesn't Android famously have bad input lag?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Retro emulation should not have any additional input lag over anything else running on the deck. Not sure how it might work with additional filters or plugins or whatever, but iirc the biggest factor in input lag is the display.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

loquacius posted:

I have not seen any noticable lag on the Deck, Android is notorious for input lag with regards to emulation though people who've tested it find it shouldn't be noticably worse that any other wireless. I haven't used an external controller for it but I don't see any reason why it'd be any different from using a controller on my PC.

Also I bought the drat dock.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Having gone through it recently whenever you have settings not sticking it's almost certainly because you haven't saved them in whatever labyrinthine method that Retroarch wants you to. I'm sure a degree of this is overkill but it's what got it working consistently for me:
1). In RA's Settings->Configuration, make sure the two Save settings and Use Global Core Options File are On.
2). After doing anything else in these menus before jumping into a core (such as setting up hot keys under "Input"), go into Main Menu->Configuration File and "Save New Configuration". For whatever reason Current seems to fail to write. At this point what you've set up should stick (I hope!!).
3). Now launch a game in a core, and then go to that core's menu. With the except of any Controller Remaps or Shaders, any settings you change in the core should then be able to saved by going into Overrides at the bottom and doing both "Save Core Overrides" and "Save Content Directory Overrides".
4). With per-Core Controller Remaps and Shaders, those have their own saving menus that you'll want to save (same "Save Core" and "Save Content Directory" options for shaders, and "Manage Remap Files" for Controllers). After saving there, it's back to step 3 to save the Overrides again.

Speaking of hot keys, something I ran into that I couldn't find a more elegant way to solve is that there doesn't seem to be a way to "clear" a hotkey so that it's not assigned to a controller button. I basically could only just sacrifice a button that I hopefully wouldn't need otherwise. On a PC all of this is easily solved if it really came to it by just editing the .cfg file manually but obviously it's a bit more of a howtodo on the Deck. If you go into desktop mode and navigate to /home/.var/app/org.libretro.Retroarch/config/retrorarch you can then edit the .cfg files to your heart's content, which for me was finding the appropriate hotkey I wanted fully unassigned and changing it to "nul".
This is from like 10 pages ago, but thanks so much for answering my questions. This 100% solved my problem with RetroArch not remembering my hotkeys.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The dock looks more or less the same as third party docks half the price on Amazon, which is a bummer. I’m sure it works better but I wish they found some way to make it more like a Switch dock so you don’t need to plug in a cable when docking your console.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can't wait to smell my Steamy Docked Steam Deck.

Smells like victory.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

where's my carrying case for the dock

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1578117908445933568

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

njsykora posted:

Try launching the game from within desktop mode, if it doesn’t work from there then make sure it’s in the general emudeck bios folder and not a PCSX2 specific one.

Thank you! I can launch games from desktop mode, but not through emudeck. Good enough!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I really hope at some point they allow the deck to run at higher clocks when on the dock like the Switch does.

remigious posted:

Thank you! I can launch games from desktop mode, but not through emudeck. Good enough!
If it launches in desktop try from SteamOS again, it might've just been first use weirdness. I've had the same problem where some PSP games haven't worked with the Deck controls until I launch it in desktop first.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

I really hope at some point they allow the deck to run at higher clocks when on the dock like the Switch does.

If it launches in desktop try from SteamOS again, it might've just been first use weirdness. I've had the same problem where some PSP games haven't worked with the Deck controls until I launch it in desktop first.

They won't because temperature is a major concern of theirs and obviously not something they want to deal with support wise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
VALVE

just let me buy your loving product!!!! jesus christ!!!! I’ve been trying since two hours before they opened it up to everyone which was two hours ago. nobody in support has responded in over two hours. a complete shitshow.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

njsykora posted:

In a sense, the Deck is always running flat out since Valve has no problems with you burning up all your battery power in 30 minutes if you want to. The Deck's limit seem to be thermal and component limits, not like the Switch's dual modes and limits.

I don't like how the Switch does it because it restricts higher clocks to when you're docked with an external monitor (as you said), not just to when you have the extra power available. It's annoying to not be able to run its GPU flat out using the built in screen when you have it plugged into USB power.

You also get the situation on the switch where more power hungry games target docked mode and what you get in handheld is somewhat lovely. Not having modes at all is good IMO.

E: The Deck gives us full control over power usage and clocks already, I don't think it's holding anything back at all.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
It's probably not good to drain my battery running Cyberpunk at max graphics several times a day. However,

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It never even occurred to me that you could pair a controller to the Deck, but you must be able to if there's a dock.

Can you basically pair any controller like you can on a PC?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

VALVE

just let me buy your loving product!!!! jesus christ!!!! I’ve been trying since two hours before they opened it up to everyone which was two hours ago. nobody in support has responded in over two hours. a complete shitshow.

I had this problem last week, just fill your Steam Wallet up with the money and pay using it so there isn't an extra processing step. Annoying but it worked in the end when Steam support took like 16 hours to get back to me

Kin posted:

It never even occurred to me that you could pair a controller to the Deck, but you must be able to if there's a dock.

Yep, Steam itself has support for every modern controller (even separate Joycons now)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can't wait for an add-on that attaches JoyCon rails to the sides of the Deck so you can use your JoyCons while attached to your Deck.

At least until they break.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

CBD Corndog posted:

Yep, Steam itself has support for every modern controller (even separate Joycons now)

Welp, that's just awesome.

With my steam catalogue, emulation and the dock it's basically just a portable complete Gaming Machine isn't it?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
depending on how much you want to dip your toes into desktop mode, it's all that and more

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Almost immediately after I got the thing I tossed it in a bag with almost every modern controller I own and a SD card full of just about every good local multiplayer game in the history of video games, and had a Real Good Time. I always wanted to build a little mini itx machine that I could easily lug wherever and plug into whatever screen I had available but could never justify it for, all the time it would be going unused. The Deck is just, an incredibly flexible machine that easily fits whatever niche you need it to fit, though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vegetable posted:

The dock looks more or less the same as third party docks half the price on Amazon, which is a bummer. I’m sure it works better but I wish they found some way to make it more like a Switch dock so you don’t need to plug in a cable when docking your console.
There's nothing obviously like a port on the bottom of the unit that would make that possible. They may have also consciously decided to do it this way since having a non-weight-bearing port is just easier to engineer.

The Switch is actually quite remarkable in that regard due to its dock having a slightly-off-spec USB-C plug that makes for easy insertion that also hasn't failed in large quantities by now.

Kin posted:

You don't actually have to pair a controller--you can use the Deck's controls while docked, unlike the Switch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CBD Corndog posted:

I had this problem last week, just fill your Steam Wallet up with the money and pay using it so there isn't an extra processing step. Annoying but it worked in the end when Steam support took like 16 hours to get back to me

Started doing this and then

“It looks like you’ve been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again.”

Stupid assholes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a usb keyboard and an Xbox controller plugged into my dock lol

I tried the Switch Pro one but it didn't recognize I could click its sticks in for some reason and also now it won't turn off

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Started doing this and then

“It looks like you’ve been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again.”

Stupid assholes.

Yeah I got that too, just wait a bit and keep going. You'll also run into the unknown error again, but switch to Paypal and try using smaller amounts and you should be able to get there. You have 2 days to complete the purchase, there's no rush.

The alternative is going to the store and picking up a bunch of Steam gift cards, making it look like you're being phone scammed.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Switch is actually quite remarkable in that regard due to its dock having a slightly-off-spec USB-C plug that makes for easy insertion that also hasn't failed in large quantities by now.

i cant believe they managed to create not only a port that can withstand my kid open palm slamming the switch on it but also the joycons that disintegrate by themselves when exposed to air.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does the Steam Deck support FreeSync? I have a 1440p/144hz FreeSync display, so the official Steam dock does seems like a decent upgrade compared to my $50 Jsaux dock (only supports 1440p/75hz). I can always use an extra 45w USB C charge around the house for laptops/iPads/Switches.

Steam Deck 2 with external Thunderbolt4/USB4 eGPU support would be pretty slick. Dual microSD cards and an OLED screen would be nice, too.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Gay Retard posted:

Does the Steam Deck support FreeSync? I have a 1440p/144hz FreeSync display, so the official Steam dock does seems like a decent upgrade compared to my $50 Jsaux dock (only supports 1440p/75hz). I can always use an extra 45w USB C charge around the house for laptops/iPads/Switches.

Steam Deck 2 with external Thunderbolt4/USB4 eGPU support would be pretty slick. Dual microSD cards and an OLED screen would be nice, too.

under the 'tech specs'

quote:

External displays

DisplayPort 1.4
HDMI 2.0
MST (Multi-Stream Transport) enabling multi-monitor support
Supports up to 4k 60hz, or 1440p 120hz
FreeSync support

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gay Retard posted:

Steam Deck 2 with external Thunderbolt4/USB4 eGPU support would be pretty slick.

You have no idea how much I would love this. Now to find an eGPU the size of a garage for the next generation of nVidia cards.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eventually got there with adding money to the wallet a bit at a time lmao. Hooray!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Welp, ordered. Looks like this non-FreeSync Jsaux dock is being moved to the living room TV. My next monitor will surely have DP 1.4, so being able to dock to dual monitors with one cable is pretty convenient.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

homeless snail posted:

The Deck is just, an incredibly flexible machine that easily fits whatever niche you need it to fit, though.

I'll say.

Just set the thing up as a comic-book reader. Because it's more comfortable to hold and to operate than my phone/iPad mini.

We'll revisit that statement when I inevitably drop it on my face while reading in bed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kin posted:

Had no issues connecting a Xbox controller to it, well at least after I updated the controller's firmware, works like a dream since the Steam Deck has a very similar control layout to that of an Xbox controller(even uses the same icons for the start and select buttons), only major issue is that you have to use a button combination(Xbox Button plus A by default) to use the dot button function which is a little annoying cause they could have just assigned it to the button on the controller used for taking screenshots(cause really how often does anyone need that function)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My Deck came today!! No shipping issues whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How's the Steam Deck as an HTPC if you have a dock? Like, I plug it into the dock, how many more steps are there in practice to get it booted and controllers working?

With a console you can usually just hit a button on a controller that was paired before and that turns on the system immediately and everything's working, but my experience with using a gaming laptop as an occasional HTPC with Steam is that every time managing controllers and poo poo is a huge pain in the rear end (and wireless controller latency often seemed really bad), does the Deck handle that better?

I own way too many controllers in case it's relevant: 4 or more Switch pro, Dual shock 4, Dual sense, and Xbox one controllers (and also the PC dongle), and then a grab bag of random other ones like a few 8bitdo controllers.