Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So season 4 of Voyager really just became the Seven of Nine show didn't it? I feel kinda ambivalent on it as she is a good character and Jeri Ryan performs her well, but it really felt like the rest of the crew outside of Janeway and The Doctor was sold down the river to make space for her. S3 of Voyager really felt like they were starting to find their feet with the crew, there were still some duds but it was markedly better than the earlier seasons, now it feels like they've just thrown in the towel and put all their chips on 'Janeway-Seven mother-daughter relationship'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eh, in the end, Picard admitted that Q bringing the Borg over was probably for the best. That the Federation had become too complacent, and needed an rear end kicking.

Nobody tell Sisko he said that!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

The only way to explain the torpedoes in Star Trek VI is that they're so close they don't have time to arm. They might as well be shooting at each other with cannonballs.

I thought ST6 was bit of mixed bag about them. I think it sells them really good in that the Enterprise is taking a serious battering from torpedo hits even when it had full strength shields, including visible bleed through damage... but then you have that unshielded BOP tanking like half a dozen of them before going pop.

In a perfect world they should have had Enterprise and Excelsior shredding that thing with ST2 style phasers

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No Dignity posted:

So season 4 of Voyager really just became the Seven of Nine show didn't it? I feel kinda ambivalent on it as she is a good character and Jeri Ryan performs her well, but it really felt like the rest of the crew outside of Janeway and The Doctor was sold down the river to make space for her. S3 of Voyager really felt like they were starting to find their feet with the crew, there were still some duds but it was markedly better than the earlier seasons, now it feels like they've just thrown in the towel and put all their chips on 'Janeway-Seven mother-daughter relationship'
The most boring episodes are usually Chakotay/Paris/Kim ones

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

"Don't provoke the Borg" from Q is pretty rich given the Borg's first appearance was him doing it out of petulance to force Picard to say he needed Q. Like it was just an ego thing and he couldn't stand being turned down by mere humans. Real "do as I say, not as I do" parenting

Part of being a parent is the inherent hypocrisy of scolding your child for poo poo that you also did when you were younger.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seemlar posted:

I thought ST6 was bit of mixed bag about them. I think it sells them really good in that the Enterprise is taking a serious battering from torpedo hits even when it had full strength shields, including visible bleed through damage... but then you have that unshielded BOP tanking like half a dozen of them before going pop.

In a perfect world they should have had Enterprise and Excelsior shredding that thing with ST2 style phasers

Early TNG actually made quite a few gestures to realism. When the Yamato explodes in season 1, you can see the saucer section takes a few seconds to fully vaporize. That's what would happen from a torpedo hit, since it's all hard radiation with no blast effect. It'd be like those nuclear flash tests where you can see the paint boil off in an instant, but for metal plating.

It's hard to convey to an audience though, because space physics isn't intuitive.

Some nerd came up with a conversion rate of 22 megatons: 1 isoton if you want to keep up with Voyager yield inflation. The Borg neutronic space mine works out to 100 million megatons, or about 10 Chicxulub impact energies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So after Doctor Reyga was murdered what do you think happened to the intellectual property status of the metaphasic shield? The Federation clearly has the technology just a few years later but... did they have to purchase it from his closest living relative? From Zek?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Voyager and I have to say that Dark Frontier is a really good two parter. The flashbacks to Seven's parents is particularly good because you know they gently caress up you just don't know how and it kind of adds a doomed sadness to the story. Also Seven / Jerry Ryan is a very good actress in this and its fantastic.

Just a really good episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Watching Voyager and I have to say that Dark Frontier is a really good two parter. The flashbacks to Seven's parents is particularly good because you know they gently caress up you just don't know how and it kind of adds a doomed sadness to the story. Also Seven / Jerry Ryan is a very good actress in this and its fantastic.

Just a really good episodes.

The mini arc of Seven's backstory from Scorpion to The Raven to Dark Frontier is amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

nine-gear crow posted:

The mini arc of Seven's backstory from Scorpion to The Raven to Dark Frontier is amazing.

Yeah its real good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I like the early Borg stories too and would love to see that explored more through oral history or something. One thing I hope we never see though is a concrete Borg origin story. Did Disco ever mention the Borg in passing in the last two seasons? Did they survive the Burn, were they wiped out? I would love to know what they are up to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Voyager established the Borg were around as a minor threat 700 years ago, which thankfully gets in the way of otherwise inevitable OMG HUMANITY CREATED THE BORG stories.

I don't think Disco's mentioned the Borg in the future? (Hell, they haven't mentioned the Klingons.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 7, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Voyager established the Borg were around as a minor threat 700 years ago, which thankfully gets in the way of otherwise inevitable OMG HUMANITY CREATED THE BORG stories.

But what about time travel????

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MikeJF posted:

I don't think Disco's mentioned the Borg in the future? (Hell, they haven't mentioned the Klingons.)

Yeah, I liked all those references to "ancient" Borg where they were just a bunch of weirdos everyone ignored and they assimilated their way to being the big bad. So much so that I remember watching Scorpion part 1 and my jaw dropping that something could easily destroy several cubes in the cold open.

I actually thought for a minute in Picard season 2 that the Queen was going to get away and warp off to the Delta quadrant, making it canon that the Borg were born of a temporal paradox in part due to Picard. While I only mildly hate that idea, I am still glad they let the Borg's origins remain a mystery.

And yeah, we haven't seen any Klingon or anyone who has clear Klingon features in the Disco future, which seems odd.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Discovery definitely hasn't mentioned or shown anything Borg, at most it's known their Transwarp conduits still exist but are now unsafe to use

So Picard is currently the last word on the Borg's status, where the Collective was left shattered by Janeway's actions and severely diminished, and now at least part of the Borg have joined the Federation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

swickles posted:

And yeah, we haven't seen any Klingon or anyone who has clear Klingon features in the Disco future, which seems odd.

I still maintain it was a massive missed opportunity to bookend the season 1-2 Klingon war by having the Klingons be one of the core Federation members and loyalists when they got to the 32nd.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

Discovery definitely hasn't mentioned or shown anything Borg, at most it's known their Transwarp conduits still exist but are now unsafe to use

So Picard is currently the last word on the Borg's status, where the Collective was left shattered by Janeway's actions and severely diminished, and now at least part of the Borg have joined the Federation.

Even in Picard though, the Borg are still a big enough threat that they're taken insanely seriously whenever they show up anywhere, with the seemingly rational first course of action being "blow the poo poo out of them and don't think twice about it." And if you're a visibly former Borg, you might as well be dead considering how the rest of the peoples of the Alpha Quadrant react to you just physically being anywhere.

MikeJF posted:

I still maintain it was a massive missed opportunity to bookend the season 1-2 Klingon war by having the Klingons be one of the core Federation members and loyalists when they got to the 32nd.

Especially because we've known since Enterprise that the Klingon Empire joins the Federation more-or-less completely by the 26th century.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Worf posted:

https://youtu.be/7L54GYRcxSM

Forget if I've linked this person or not, but definitely worth listening imo, especially the Klingon and first contact parts

Along those lines, this is a nice concert in Prague from 2018 that does Trek music straight, but with enough variation to make it a nice background listen for an hour and a half or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yySw7vkdkZY

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think the Borg were mentioned in one line in Disco season 4. When theorising about the race who made the DMA, someone said something like "Do they have a hive mind, like the Borg?", or something along those lines. But no mention of the Borg's current status in the 32nd century.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

By the 32nd century the Borg should just be normal dudes with junk on their faces, like the far future Borg kid we see with all the other school kids learning about Boimler and O'Brien at the end of that early Lower Decks episode

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I guess "we don't trust the transporter" is easier to write than "there's interference"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Obviously Burnham was the first Borg Queen all along.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

Early TNG actually made quite a few gestures to realism. When the Yamato explodes in season 1, you can see the saucer section takes a few seconds to fully vaporize. That's what would happen from a torpedo hit, since it's all hard radiation with no blast effect. It'd be like those nuclear flash tests where you can see the paint boil off in an instant, but for metal plating.

Yamato exploded in season two. :eng101:

But yes, if you look closely at the torpedo explosions in Encounter at Farpoint and Q Who?, the VFX team put in little brief bright flashes accompanying each warhead detonation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

It doesn't have to be fear behind that statement. You might sternly tell a child "Don't dump sand into the casserole in the oven" even though you could easily throw away the entire casserole.

The Borg are a rather important piece of the galaxy, and sending them off in an unexpected direction (again) might upset some long-range plan of the Continuum's.

Or even just "hey, there's a lot of different fun toys in this sandbox, don't break the rest by playing with this one."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Especially because we've known since Enterprise that the Klingon Empire joins the Federation more-or-less completely by the 26th century.

Do we really know that? There was so much loving with the timeline that it's basically not even necessary to handwave it away. I honestly don't remember the specific line though, so I could be wrong

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yeah, that timeline in ENT is hosed. It supposedly gets righted by the end, but that implies a predetermination that flies in the face of the rest of Trek time travel canon (not to mention reason). It also doesn't help that I just hated Daniels and his meddling. Every time that dingus showed up I wanted Archer to tell him to get hosed and that we'd take our chances with another 31st century.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah, that timeline in ENT is hosed. It supposedly gets righted by the end, but that implies a predetermination that flies in the face of the rest of Trek time travel canon (not to mention reason). It also doesn't help that I just hated Daniels and his meddling. Every time that dingus showed up I wanted Archer to tell him to get hosed and that we'd take our chances with another 31st century.

In general shows on Star Trek that decide to hijack the timeline and tell how stuff failed from the other shows are stupid; its a prestige IPR with legacy, so work accordingly. ENT timeline with that pizza slicer Ent-J might not happen anymore, since Q hosed with the timeline later and brought in the Borg. And at least it had the decency to go with a positive note; the Federation and others exist because of what was done.

DISCO going beyond and above the duty to say that "this happens, or everything else does not happen" is just insulting. I still maintain that the best thing they can do is to wrap the show by making it a self-contained time loop where USS Discovery jumps to future, but also doesn't because they kill that probe data before it happens. DISCO events take place so that it does not matter, don't think about it too much.

And PIC keeps things contained enough so that it can be glossed over. "Oh for some years making sentient AI was banned", and "yeah hey splinter faction of voluntarily-assimilated Borg joined the federation".

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I was playing around in an auction website and I found some weird convention props, including gigantic busted up Voyager and Enterprise-A models near Orlando:

https://www.proxibid.com/Voyager-Space-Model-Large-Crate-9-5h-X5-5-w-X-24-l/lotInformation/71129946

https://www.proxibid.com/Prop-Uss-Enterprise-In-Large-Crate-5-h-X7-X-12-Model-4-h-X-5-5-w-X-11-l-W/lotInformation/71129963

a shuttlecraft model:
https://www.proxibid.com/St-Prop-Copernicus-Shuttle-In-Crate-6-X3-5-X-3/lotInformation/71129899

and for some reason missiles from I don't know where:
https://www.proxibid.com/Prop-Missile-X3-In-Crate-19-X-8/lotInformation/71129920

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Are those the torpedoes from ENT?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What terrible listings. Delighted display! <one picture of the crate containing it> very intrigued though…

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They do look like them yeah.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The older I get the less I can tolerate the Kira/Dukat stuff. I have a hard time believing she could be in the same room with him much less give him parenting advice. Who wants to hang out with Hitler?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh my god I want this

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

The older I get the less I can tolerate the Kira/Dukat stuff. I have a hard time believing she could be in the same room with him much less give him parenting advice. Who wants to hang out with Hitler?

It's more like an Indian military officer having to liase with a former colonial official but it does go a bit beyond what's believable.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Makes sense if you look at it as Kira suffering from years of point-blank "let's just all get along" Federation ideology. The show even makes a bunch of explicit points about her becoming softer and more political over time.

I don't know. It's not great, but I don't find it wholly unbelievable. She's effectively in an entirely different world from the occupation, even moreso than regular Bajorans since she's primarily interacting with Starfleet officers and Federation ideals. I think it kind of works since she eventually snaps back hard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

ENT timeline with that pizza slicer Ent-J might not happen anymore, since Q hosed with the timeline later and brought in the Borg.

That was established from the start in Enterprise as a different future anyway, the Enterprise-J came from a timeline where the Delphic Expanse continued to expand and covered a quarter of the galaxy. The actions of Enterprise changed that future when they destroyed the Expanse.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i just watched qpid for the first time. holy poo poo that was amazing

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think there are any Akoram Laan truthers on Bajor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/thetrekcentral/status/1578764781552807937?s=46&t=ENCTvIvNSrcbHeGv4beWeg

Kinda weird they’re doing a similar thing with that Sisko comic. Just taking characters from different eras and slapping them on a team together.