Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m sure it’s cool but I’m not sure how it’ll feel in my hands. I haven’t heard many complaints but the face button and dpad placement look super awkward to me.

I like it more than my switch with a satisfye grip. The dpad is kind of awkward to me though. I'm just used to it being where it is on switch and an Xbox controller. Not hard to hit really but I have to think about it rather than muscle memory if that makes sense. That'll probably change in time but feels like I gave my controller to dad a bit at the moment.

Get the cheap one and throw in a $50 hard drive. It's a great deal for what you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love love love my steam deck. I woke up early today, couldn't sleep, and loaded up Skyrim for a bit. Bought Breezehome and leveled up my alchemy skill, and then stopped to make my kids breakfast before school. It's so quick to just pick up and play.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m in ireland and I haven’t been able to buy a single game on my deck using my debit card. I’ve just been using PayPal

Risutora posted:

i havent done any purchases from the deck, but the switch estore gives me the same poo poo with my op visa card and i just route my payments through paypal there. same thing should work on the deck too.

Cheers guys, Paypal it is then. Can't be arsed moving my cat, going to my computer, turning it on, buying something and then going back to the sofa to install it on the Deck.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I got Deathstate since it's Deck Verified but it has a ton of green artifacts during play. Makes it hard to play since green is intentionally the color of enemy bullets. It's mentioned on ProtonDB so that might be a better resource before buying games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know why the UI for controller configurations still doesn't look right. You'd think that's worth fixing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1578384561037365251

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Even if all I used this for was a glorified portable FF14 game machine it would be worth it.

And that is like 70% of my use case.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Does it switch to xbox inputs like that if you are using an xbox controller or is something else going on? (besides yuzu)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

OMG, Vampire Survivors runs on the deck?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Vanquish is 4.99 on Steam right now and it's deck verified.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Does it switch to xbox inputs like that if you are using an xbox controller or is something else going on? (besides yuzu)

If you have an X-input controller connected via Bluetooth it does this.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PageMaster posted:

I also jumped on the sale for Yakuza 0 and it's been running perfect at 60 fps with no issues.

PantsBandit posted:

Yakuza 0 kicks rear end and I think the deck would be a great way to experience it.

:yeshaha:

njsykora posted:

Yakuza 4-6 are listed as unsupported but 0-3+LAD are all verified so yeah that's a hell of an idea if you grab that 0/Kiwami/Kiwami 2 bundle while its on sale.

I played a good chunk of LaD before burning out, and I just spent my $5 on 0.

Are the Kiwami games good for standalone storytelling silliness or are they best enjoyed as fans of the characters I'm not yet invested in?

Also did I just miss out on some savings by not buying the bundle? If so, is there any way for me to upgrade to the bundle?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kiwami 1/2 are just remakes of the original Yakuza 1/2 games. If you like 0, Kiwami is a good next step but it kinda feels like a cheap expansion pack just because it’s based on a much older game. Kiwami 2 is based on their newer engine and looks amazing.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Kiwami 2 and the upgraded Dragon engine owns. Having no load times to go into businesses makes for some of the best heat actions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5weD_QysU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Twobirds posted:

I got Deathstate since it's Deck Verified but it has a ton of green artifacts during play. Makes it hard to play since green is intentionally the color of enemy bullets. It's mentioned on ProtonDB so that might be a better resource before buying games.

protondb is 100% more reliable than "deck verified or not." I actually recommend getting decky and the protondb badge plugin, that'll put the protondb badge on the game page in the steam deck and make it 100% easier to figure out stuff like whether to roll with proton-ge or not...

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Has anyone any experience with Pathologic 2 on this thing?

I don’t own a gaming PC anymore and it’s a Deck Verified game, but it was always a game I struggled to get running particularly smoothly on my PC. Curious if anyone has played it on the Deck and can comment on performance.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

jokes posted:

I don't know why the UI for controller configurations still doesn't look right. You'd think that's worth fixing.

It seems to be getting fixes/enhancements in every release. But it's still in a weird in-between state now, yeah.

It's disorienting if you've used the older UI a lot on the desktop - for instance I didn't realize Action Layers were possible for the longest time since I kept looking in the old spot, which still exists but only lets you use them not create them.

Also annoying that the old Desktop UI isn't getting the new functionality seems like. They're focused on the new UI as the one true UI and it will be optimized for smaller screens. But if I need to mess with the controller when in desktop mode, I sometimes have to go back to gaming mode to access some of it. Wish they'd just drop the old UI already.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Considering a Deck since they seem easy to get now but I was wondering what Valve’s return policy on them is like if I change my mind. Do they have restocking fees or whatever?

My only buyers remorse is that I built a $3k gaming PC last year and I hardly use it now. First person shooters and real time strategy and other games where mouse and keyboard reign supreme are still on my desktop, but honestly you could also use M+K with the deck, too, and given a choice of my desk or bed I'm playing every other game in bed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Looks pretty good, and I trust Valve more than whatever third party doohickeys.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Freesync support is a huge benefit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well poo poo looks like one of my joysticks (left) just snapped or broke or caught something because it’s now very stiff and will straight up stay up or right and not reset.

Is this something I can open up and fix or will I need to do an RMA?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Another thing that would have been cool to have with the duck is some kind of magnet converter for the usb-c port. They basically convert usb-c ports into magsafe-like ports. The ones on Amazon are a little dodgy but the idea is great. A dock where you have to carefully insert a cable isn’t much of a dock at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

except in every dock ever made I guess

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m taking iPhone and Switch docks as reference. It doesn’t make sense to be comparing the Deck to laptops.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope the Valve Dock is easy to order and has a quick delivery time. That thing looks really nice, and I see myself using my Deck in docked mode a lot. My wife wants to use the Deck for playing video games with me while I game on my PC.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PageMaster posted:

My only buyers remorse is that I built a $3k gaming PC last year and I hardly use it now. First person shooters and real time strategy and other games where mouse and keyboard reign supreme are still on my desktop, but honestly you could also use M+K with the deck, too, and given a choice of my desk or bed I'm playing every other game in bed.

I built 2 years ago and same, now mini PC makers are realising they can slap laptop GPUs in those I’m heavily considering replacing my desktop with one. Mostly because lol I’m not affording a GPU upgrade any time soon.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Vegetable posted:

I’m taking iPhone and Switch docks as reference. It doesn’t make sense to be comparing the Deck to laptops.

Add the WiiU to the list of poo poo that just clips onto its dock.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What WiiU dock 🤔

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What WiiU dock 🤔

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s a stand

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

am I being “trolled”

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

That’s a stand

Which can be plugged to the power input, and charges your WiiU when you "dock" it to the stand. Did you never notice the (I think) mini USB connector underneath?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The WiiU dock definitely charges the tablet.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
a charging stand is not a dock

websters defines a dock as

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve got a big giant dock in my pants.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vegetable posted:

Another thing that would have been cool to have with the duck is some kind of magnet converter for the usb-c port. They basically convert usb-c ports into magsafe-like ports. The ones on Amazon are a little dodgy but the idea is great. A dock where you have to carefully insert a cable isn’t much of a dock at all.

I would have loved this, however, you can just get something like this and turn the official Valve Dock into something like that I suppose:

https://smile.amazon.com/Magentic-A...s%2C146&sr=8-10

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve got a big giant dock in my pants.

Spend a lot of time playing 'handheld'?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I'm emulating a game on Dreamcast (Slave Zero) that never actually worked on the actual machine for me. It always hardlocked somewhere.

It's still not that good of a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well poo poo looks like one of my joysticks (left) just snapped or broke or caught something because it’s now very stiff and will straight up stay up or right and not reset.

Is this something I can open up and fix or will I need to do an RMA?

Buy the replacements? They're on a dedicated board and look really simple to replace if you can solder 1 wire for for the capacitive tips. Otherwise RMA. I wouldn't open up a stick personally and I like doing electronics fuckery.

https://www.amazon.com/Drifting-Electromagnetic-Thumbstick-AKNES-Replacement/dp/B0B31STJDH