Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BBCParham/status/1577253339133247489?s=20&t=EzLzcYgFJ-v3ASoX0bKFGw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2nd Amendment posted:

People who want to give the Shah smooches usually identify as Persian.

Also Jews who fled. I’ve never heard them use the term Iranian (anecdotal fwiw).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:sherman:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

to a western audience there's probably some people out there who will knee-jerk 'oh wow how brave of you :jerkbag: ' to something like this

but holy poo poo this plus everything else we've been seeing is insanely brave

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it even really that brave? I've been shouting "gently caress Khamenei" all day, and nobody salutes me :(

E: Moar

https://i.imgur.com/t3xz3H3.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/P4fS7u9.mp4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 4, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Monstrous.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iranians do senior ditch day right.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

2nd Amendment posted:

People who want to give the Shah smooches usually identify as Persian.

There's a lot of baggage that comes out on the part of other people when one mentions they're from Iran in the US. "Persian" rings less obvious alarm bells in the dumber parts of our country.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Iranians also have their share of gusanos

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

When Khamenei gives ground to the "womenfolk" the mullahs must really be nervous.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Eric Cantonese posted:

There's a lot of baggage that comes out on the part of other people when one mentions they're from Iran in the US. "Persian" rings less obvious alarm bells in the dumber parts of our country.

Like Hollywood and other fashionable parts Los Angeles?

Edit: the family who sold my parents rugs to support people fleeing the ayatollah (as was the fashion of the time) they were Iranians. The people who supplied the rugs to little mom and pop stores all over the country were Persians.

2nd Amendment fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 6, 2022

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Good article in today's NY Times analyzing social media of the protests. Read for free here

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Negostrike posted:

Iranians also have their share of gusanos

Uhhh isn’t that an ethnic slur

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm not super sure what gusanos could mean beyond the literal meaning of maggots.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

It's a class slur, I guess, for the Cubans that fled the revolution. I'm not a slur doctor so it could be an ethnic slur, I don't use it anyway

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gusanos are generally pro-capitalist conservatives so maggots works.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol *looking through my book of old-timey & region-specific slurs*

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Toxic Mental posted:

Uhhh isn’t that an ethnic slur

No more than kapo.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it is a class slur BUT since iut is a spanish word and used to describe cubans (not exclusively, but typically) we've rated this slure as 43% racial. as the poster used it in a context not referring to cubans and instead to class traitors, they have slurred the target in a non-racial way. slur has been approved. ticket closed

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it is a class slur BUT since iut is a spanish word and used to describe cubans (not exclusively, but typically) we've rated this slure as 43% racial. as the poster used it in a context not referring to cubans and instead to class traitors, they have slurred the target in a non-racial way. slur has been approved. ticket closed

Another QCS success story.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It’s a good word. Feels good to shout it at class traitor maggots. Only a class traitor maggot would have a problem with it. You’re not a class traitor maggot are you?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm not going to open the big book of slurs to find esoteric ones that may have been used in the 1600s to denote a certain class of people that may or may not currently exist

let's keep the focus on the brave Iranian demonstrators can we?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

2nd Amendment posted:

Like Hollywood and other fashionable parts Los Angeles?

Edit: the family who sold my parents rugs to support people fleeing the ayatollah (as was the fashion of the time) they were Iranians. The people who supplied the rugs to little mom and pop stores all over the country were Persians.

I grew up in Virginia and at least in my part of the state (outside of the more cosmopolitan north), the Iranian families I knew used "Persian" because people where we lived didn't go into Delta Force-addled "WHY DID Y'ALL TAKE HOSTAGES?!?!" mode.

Keep in mind I also knew Sikhs who got a ton of crap because of their turbans so our experiences may just differ a lot.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol don't mind the brutal police state Che was a hero and the cops only hurt bad people as cops are wont, nothing to see here
:goonsay:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

After seeing some of the comments in this thread, I just want to say that people shouldn't love the Shah, but I have to strongly disagree with anyone who think Iranians were better off under any part of the Islamic Republic's existence than they were under Reza Pahlavi.

And the IRI has gone way further than SAVAK at this point in running a domestic suppression apparatus. In fact, the IRI was more than happy to absorb a lot of ex-SAVAK people for their own secret police needs.

It's depressing to think of the 1970s as Iran's high water mark, but it's not like the decades since then have been golden times either.

Anyway, I hope this protests can lead to something good, but I don't have much faith in anything happening besides the IRI doubling down on cruelty and violence.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not seeing any protest footage but Amnesty has this report out.

quote:

Iran: At least 82 Baluchi protesters and bystanders killed in bloody crackdown
Iranian security forces unlawfully killed at least 66 people, including children, and injured hundreds of others after firing live ammunition, metal pellets and teargas at protesters, bystanders and worshippers during a violent crackdown after Friday prayers on 30 September in Zahedan, Sistan and Baluchistan province, Amnesty International said today. Since then, another 16 people were killed in separate incidents in Zahedan amid an ongoing clampdown on protests. Evidence gathered from activists, victims’ families, eyewitness testimonies, and images and videos of the protests suggest the real death toll from Zahedan is likely to be higher.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2022/10/iran-at-least-82-baluchi-protesters-and-bystanders-killed-in-bloody-crackdown/

Events from a week ago, but seems pretty bad

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Eric Cantonese posted:

After seeing some of the comments in this thread, I just want to say that people shouldn't love the Shah, but I have to strongly disagree with anyone who think Iranians were better off under any part of the Islamic Republic's existence than they were under Reza Pahlavi.

And the IRI has gone way further than SAVAK at this point in running a domestic suppression apparatus. In fact, the IRI was more than happy to absorb a lot of ex-SAVAK people for their own secret police needs.

It's depressing to think of the 1970s as Iran's high water mark, but it's not like the decades since then have been golden times either.

Anyway, I hope this protests can lead to something good, but I don't have much faith in anything happening besides the IRI doubling down on cruelty and violence.

You’ll know people have gone brain broke if they start posting “people are better off under theocratic fascists” posts

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I could do be wrong, but I don't remember the protests in 08 resulting in nearly as many deaths. This is horrendous.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"unlawfully" as if a security state has any laws worth the name

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This guy’s pretty convinced we’re witnessing the beginning of the end.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1679528/Iran-protests-latest-Khamenei-Islamic-Republic-collapse-BBC-World-news-vn

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Inshallah.

It's really difficult for me to get a good feeling of what's going on on the ground, but if the sorts of protests we've seen earlier are still going on, it's definitely a good sing. I don't think any regime, no matter how violent or coercive, can survive when the majority of the people are taking a stand against it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

It's really difficult for me to get a good feeling of what's going on on the ground, but if the sorts of protests we've seen earlier are still going on, it's definitely a good sing. I don't think any regime, no matter how violent or coercive, can survive when the majority of the people are taking a stand against it.

I mean, there's Syria and although you can point to its sectarian divisions, that was still a case of the majority of the population taking a stand against the regime, for months on end, and then the regime just kept doubling down on the violence and now... well.

That said, based on the limited information I have of what's going on, I don't really see how their authority survives this, reforms alone aren't gonna do it I think. It does seem to me like it's either fold or go full violent and burn the country the ground with a chance of ruling the ashes.
I'm not sure they really can do the latter without securing some international backing or guarantees. That almost certainly can't be Russia in the current situation, unlike Syria Iran doesn't have an "Iran" to prop them up and bring in militias either (though I wonder if they might be trying to get in Hezbollah and Iraqi militias if they get really desperate), that might be China, though they usually strike me as far too cautious (they are often quick to insist on non-interference in other countries, and the Iranian regime seems like they're going heavily on the protesters being driven by "foreign agents" in that press release from totally alive and not dead Ali Khamenei).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Strategic Tea posted:

lol don't mind the brutal police state Che was a hero and the cops only hurt bad people as cops are wont, nothing to see here
:goonsay:

So what’s up with Iran today?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Randarkman posted:

I mean, there's Syria and although you can point to its sectarian divisions, that was still a case of the majority of the population taking a stand against the regime, for months on end, and then the regime just kept doubling down on the violence and now... well.

That said, based on the limited information I have of what's going on, I don't really see how their authority survives this, reforms alone aren't gonna do it I think. It does seem to me like it's either fold or go full violent and burn the country the ground with a chance of ruling the ashes.
I'm not sure they really can do the latter without securing some international backing or guarantees. That almost certainly can't be Russia in the current situation, unlike Syria Iran doesn't have an "Iran" to prop them up and bring in militias either (though I wonder if they might be trying to get in Hezbollah and Iraqi militias if they get really desperate), that might be China, though they usually strike me as far too cautious (they are often quick to insist on non-interference in other countries, and the Iranian regime seems like they're going heavily on the protesters being driven by "foreign agents" in that press release from totally alive and not dead Ali Khamenei).

At least from what we've seen, it doesn't seem like there's much resistance within the police/military. The protestors aren't well armed and the Kurds are pretty much the only non governmental force who could feasibly stand up to a crackdown, and only in a relatively small part of the west of the country. As long as the security forces continue to follow orders what's stopping them cracking down if they really have to? Nor have we seen much from governing institutions that might decouple themselves from the official line and just start functioning separately.

Don't get me wrong, everything we're seeing is astonishingly brave, and I hope the best for the people of Iran, but most of the country is still broadly functioning, and if the situation goes downhill the protestors don't really have a response to troops rolling in.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mobby_6kl posted:

Inshallah.

Tell that to Burma

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Majority of people ain’t mean nothing without the support of the military.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Helps to have russia bomb your enemies too. That's one counter-indicator for a successful coup or revolution.

Anyway they're still going strong
https://twitter.com/YOURANONONENEWS/status/1578687477753479168

:piss:
https://twitter.com/Vahid/status/1578716677872971782

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It would be cool if Iran becomes a constitutional democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy