Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Spend a lot of time playing 'handheld'?

Threw a bad Gang Tag together:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Touch menus are square, try those. You can also change the activation condition so you don't have to click a joystick to select an item.

This was a while ago, but yeah the touch menu feels better than the circular one. Clicking on the touch pad is definitely better than clicking on the thumb stick imo.

The only options I see for activation are touch release, click (so joystick click or touchpad click), or continuous. I guess what I really want is like the conversation wheel in mass effect, you spin it around and hit A (or whatever) to select.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

sigher posted:

Mods. Please make this happen. Pretty please!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vegetable posted:

I’m taking iPhone and Switch docks as reference. It doesn’t make sense to be comparing the Deck to laptops.

there was this indie manufacturer named 'Dell' or something like that which used to have docks like this, but their computers never really caught on

when I first saw their modern much smaller USB connected ones I thought they were way better, but now I've had so many finicky docks or loose connection ports I can see why my company's IT dept preferred the chunky ones that still took up half of the laptop's foot print when not in use

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 7, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sigher posted:

Let's gooooooooo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody shop that gang tag so that it starts off as the Deck logo and then grows into the Big Deck Energy slogan.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody shop that gang tag so that it starts off as the Deck logo and then grows into the Big Deck Energy slogan.

Yeah this

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

sigher posted:

:five:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sigher posted:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

sigher posted:

:golfclap:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cartoon Man posted:

I would do it but I have no idea how to make a gif, so unfortunately it's well out of my wheelhouse.

lmao

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

given that a canadian could presumably order and get shipped a deck right now, and valve could just get a different shipper to empty their warehouse (also presumably), i feel like what's holding mine back is not a bottleneck but a fuckup. as of yesterday there were canadians who ordered on the 29 in my same situation.

i'm a little worried they've already said "gently caress it" and improvised some other way to courier them out, and it'll just show up at my door without notifying me of the shipping situation, which is the last thing i'd want. i'm not anxious to actually get the thing, i just want to be able to stop worrying about it getting lost or stolen.

looking again in reddit, there are a couple people in my situation and others who ordered the same day who are further along or received it today.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 7, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cartoon Man posted:

Mods. Please make this happen. Pretty please!

Whoa, especially if it was animated that'd be a hot one

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Looks like they've fixed the Next Games Festival thing to be fully Steam Deck compatible. There's now a big banner for it on the front page, and a bunch of the games I tested worked perfectly on the Deck even though their status is obviously unknown at the moment.

Wishlisted a bunch of stuff. Oh lord.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i haven't been paying attention. it needs to charge through the same usb port that it outputs video through? what thing should i buy to connect it to the tv? i thought i'd put it in the OP the one that was recommended but i didn't.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Looks like they've fixed the Next Games Festival thing to be fully Steam Deck compatible.

Does Arkanoid work now?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mescal posted:

i haven't been paying attention. it needs to charge through the same usb port that it outputs video through? what thing should i buy to connect it to the tv? i thought i'd put it in the OP the one that was recommended but i didn't.

I would assume the official dock that was just released would be best

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mescal posted:

The Deck connects to the dock with a USB Type C cable, which charges the Deck and also transport video etc between the Deck and the dock. The dock connects to your TV or monitor with an HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

It's pretty standard these days with laptop docks, my Lenovo dock just plugs into my work laptop with a single USB Type C, and then I can plug in hell of monitors and peripherals into the dock and it all just works fine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sigher posted:

My deck is bigger and badder than yours

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The Big Deck gang vs Switchers fight we always needed.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

sigher posted:

I want to show off my big deck all over the forums

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

After spending every 5 minutes checking out the window for FedEx, my Deck has made it home and I've huffed the vent. 10/10 smells like a new Vive

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

there was this indie manufacturer named 'Dell' or something like that which used to have docks like this, but their computers never really caught on

when I first saw their modern much smaller USB connected ones I thought they were way better, but now I've had so many finicky docks or loose connection ports I can see why my company's IT dept preferred the chunky ones that still took up half of the laptop's foot print when not in use

I would kill for these docks to make a come back. Rock solid. I didn't know docks could have problems.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have a HP dock in work that actually works better for my Deck than the laptop that it’s supposedly made for

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have a HP dock in work that actually works better for my Deck than the laptop that it’s supposedly made for

The little black Mac Mini looking thing? I got that too....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The little black Mac Mini looking thing? I got that too....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

The IT brain trusts in work didn’t get docks powerful enough for the laptops myself and like 2 other people in the company use to do video editing but for the dock it works absolutely perfectly so when I’ve nothing to do and I’m in the office, I just plug in the deck and play some games. It’s sweet.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Freesync support is a huge benefit

Is it? I don't really know anything about Freesync, except that the TV I dock to is capable of it, and the 3rd party USB hub I bought earlier doesn't mention it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So before i pull the trigger on the dock, does it sound worth it? £79 seems like a lot of money, but presumably it's likely to be more reliable or something than cheaper 3rd party ones?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Coolness Averted posted:

Am IT department, can confirm, those docks are incredible and I'm saddened that they are no longer around. They were much more reliable than the garbage we have now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kin posted:

So before i pull the trigger on the dock, does it sound worth it? £79 seems like a lot of money, but presumably it's likely to be more reliable or something than cheaper 3rd party ones?
You get dual monitor support and faster USB 3. I've also heard of iffy build quality on the JSAUX one but nothing catastrophic and Valve's dock isn't really tested at this point either. I think freesync works on both?

If you don't need those features you're probably fine going with the JSAUX.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kin posted:

More reliable I don't know but I don't think any third party docks have DisplayPort or support for any variable refresh rate protocol, which the Deck Dock Does. The official dock also has a proper right angle connector for the USB-C cable but other than that it has the same HDMI/ethernet/USB-C PD passthrough/3xUSB setup everything else has. Also it comes with another 45W Deck charger so you can have a dedicated Dock charger. Personally I also think the metallic look all the 3rd party docks have is kinda ugly and the official dock will match the Deck.

Also apparently some third party docks cover the cooling intake which is very funny.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

Is it? I don't really know anything about Freesync, except that the TV I dock to is capable of it, and the 3rd party USB hub I bought earlier doesn't mention it.
It looks and feels a lot better, because the screen is updating at whatever frame rate you're running at vs pushing frames to a screen that's refreshing at its own pace. Its not exactly the same thing but think about how responsive a game is when you're playing on the 40hz mode on Steam Deck vs a 40fps game with the screen left on 60hz.

The caveat is, it depends on the sync range of your screen, and I don't think any of them go below 48hz (with good reason), so in reality theres a tiny margin where the Steam Deck is actually gonna benefit from Freesync. Games where you can't lock 60 but don't drop below the 50s, or the rare game that the Deck can run above 60.

On a desktop PC with a fps that fluctuates somewhere between 60 and 120 though, its insanely good.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SCheeseman posted:

You get dual monitor support and faster USB 3. I've also heard of iffy build quality on the JSAUX one but nothing catastrophic and Valve's dock isn't really tested at this point either. I think freesync works on both?

If you don't need those features you're probably fine going with the JSAUX.

Ah, there's a specific recommended 3rd party one. That's £50 in the UK, which is also a chunky investment. I think i'd be just as comfy paying the extra for the official one.

If it was like a £20 3rd party dock i'd be torn, but then then build quality would likely be rubbish presumably.

Edit: Out of curiosity, how much heat is pumped out of a deck? My living room TV setup is part of a custom unit where all the cables come out of an enclosed cupboard at the bottom.

I have to leave the cupboard door open when playing the PS5 for example or it basically suffocates itself with it's own heat.

If I get a dock, I'd have to set it up inside the cupboard as that's where the HDMI cable comes out of, but does it pump out so much heat that I'd likely need to leave the door open for it too?

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 7, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kin posted:

Ah, there's a specific recommended 3rd party one. That's £50 in the UK, which is also a chunky investment. I think i'd be just as comfy paying the extra for the official one.

If it was like a £20 3rd party dock i'd be torn, but then then build quality would likely be rubbish presumably.

You could just get a super basic USB-C hub with power passthrough, like this Anker hub which is £35 if you don't need to stand the Deck up. Or just get a USB-C to HDMI cable if you're fine staying limited by battery life.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Very unlikely that any usb hub is gonna blow up your deck or anything, you can get pretty much whatever you like as long as it passes through power. The issues people have with the JSAUX are pretty much all the case, the insides are fine. Lots of even cheaper hubs that don't do the stupid kickstand thing though.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

sigher posted:

Mods? I can smell this post.

Count me in!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Buy the replacements? They're on a dedicated board and look really simple to replace if you can solder 1 wire for for the capacitive tips. Otherwise RMA. I wouldn't open up a stick personally and I like doing electronics fuckery.

https://www.amazon.com/Drifting-Electromagnetic-Thumbstick-AKNES-Replacement/dp/B0B31STJDH

Yeah I did some more research and ultimately landed on just buying those and planning to replace both instead of a RMA. Can’t wait to somehow gently caress up the soldering.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I did some more research and ultimately landed on just buying those and planning to replace both instead of a RMA. Can’t wait to somehow gently caress up the soldering.

Even if you do totally gently caress up soldering a single wire to a contact pad, all you'll kill is the touch-activation sensor in the joysticks. Not a huge loss.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Valve uploaded a new video about the Deck news, none of which is new to the thread - the Dock is out, the software updates have helped a ton of stuff, and Decks are now available without needing to get in line.

However they also had to re-edit and re-upload the video, which is very funny: https://twitter.com/sitkinator/status/1578483336682516480?s=46&t=WDNo5I_zehnGb-fS0bs6pg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

love the deck. Metroid Fusion is very good