Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Thanks UKMT for (sort of) recommending Years and Years. The last episode was a bit eh, but it was a fun ride. Eerie how they got some parts right... :tinfoil:

e: drat, uhhh... 191 is prime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Please don't ask the interviewers why the job has become vacant or what happened to the previous postholder unless you're prepared for the answer to be "they died three weeks after being diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer, leaving a young family, and the person who cleared out their desk to send their personal belongings to their partner openly cried whilst doing so".

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Payndz posted:

Ooh, he's my (lovely, massively in bed with the oil industry) MP, who was a protege of Owen Paterson and was previously suspended from Parliament for dodgy behaviour. Anyone know what he's been accused of?

This is the lad that seriously wanted the Northern Ireland job... a lifetime of poor choices continues. :rolleyes:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's boilerplate Rhetoric Of Reaction, of this type:
https://twitter.com/yurirando/status/1577801327337672704
Gladwell is that special kind of overeducated idiot who has an idea that excites him and literally does not stop to think through if he really needs to share it with other people or if it makes any sense outside of the context it ocurred to him in.

I mean literally, I think I've said before but he was interviewed by Adam Buxton on his podcast and one of the first things he said was something like he's more exited about an idea if it's interesting than if it's correct.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Stephen Colbert may have his faults but his description of Gladwell as 'Explaino the Clown' will always bring me joy.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting exactly what stories people tell themselves as to why such a thing would be the case though, from like the "seatbelts would make people drive like maniacs, killing more" to whatever is in the howling void of Liz Truss' head that comes up with "energy savings are against my ideology."

Yeah, it's pure and simple "the Green Lefty Treehugging Ecopeople want to save energy therefore We Will Nevah Nevah".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Just Another Lurker posted:

This is the lad that seriously wanted the Northern Ireland job... a lifetime of poor choices continues. :rolleyes:
Apparently Burns was fired and lost the whip because... of something he said to Mel B from the Spice Girls in a lift?!?

https://twitter.com/officialmelb/status/1578487276707143682?s=46&t=aa424-Wq98tOmKU-XoluYA

We're in the full-on crazy timeline now, folks. I expect the nukes to start flying any day now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Had a minor brain fart and briefly wondered what government office melanie brown obe was holdin

Minister of zigazig ah

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Um axshully it's MBE - Mel of the British Empire

Only one of the Spiciest Girls even approached a GBOL (you know the one)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hope mel b fuckin lamped him

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Kin posted:

Ah, so self assessment is where I'd do silly poo poo like claim a car as a business expense if I was set up as a contractor with my own limited company doing freelance work or something?

I think I am gonna need to download the form in advance or something to find out just what it is i'm gonna be asked if there's stuff like equipment and depreciation. I though it would just be questions like "how much did you earn" and "how much are you claiming in benefits".

If you are setting up as a ltd company, you need an accountant. Cost me about £50 (albeit 8 yrs ago) to painlessly register online with Companies House. You can self assess as a Sole Trader but depends on the type of work you're actually doing - I was an ST for years until they changed the rules somewhat around 2014 and no-one would employ you as a freelancer in the print/graphics trade unless you were limited.
I pay £150 a month on retainer for my accountant but he's saved me untold ££££ over the years above board, and you can claim on that fee as a necessary business expense too. It's absolutely worth it for a good one who'll sort all the bits you can and can't claim on without you having to work out %'s etc.
And for anyone who wants to start grieving me about shorting the tax man, I'm in that class of 1 man band companies that got precisely gently caress poo poo out of the government and had to take a loan out to stay afloat during Covid, and IR35 is a loving pain in the arse, although fairly easy to get around without even lying. We charge more because we don't get holiday/sick pay etc etc.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Payndz posted:

We're in the full-on crazy timeline now, folks. I expect the nukes to start flying any day now.

What do you mean, "now"?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Payndz posted:

Apparently Burns was fired and lost the whip because... of something he said to Mel B from the Spice Girls in a lift?!?

https://twitter.com/officialmelb/status/1578487276707143682?s=46&t=aa424-Wq98tOmKU-XoluYA

What did he say?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Goldskull posted:

If you are setting up as a ltd company, you need an accountant. Cost me about £50 (albeit 8 yrs ago) to painlessly register online with Companies House. You can self assess as a Sole Trader but depends on the type of work you're actually doing - I was an ST for years until they changed the rules somewhat around 2014 and no-one would employ you as a freelancer in the print/graphics trade unless you were limited.
I pay £150 a month on retainer for my accountant but he's saved me untold ££££ over the years above board, and you can claim on that fee as a necessary business expense too. It's absolutely worth it for a good one who'll sort all the bits you can and can't claim on without you having to work out %'s etc.
And for anyone who wants to start grieving me about shorting the tax man, I'm in that class of 1 man band companies that got precisely gently caress poo poo out of the government and had to take a loan out to stay afloat during Covid, and IR35 is a loving pain in the arse, although fairly easy to get around without even lying. We charge more because we don't get holiday/sick pay etc etc.

Thanks for all the info.

It feels like self assessment is moving into Power User territory for tax, but all I wanna do is claim child benefits while earning over £50k

It's all numbers, so why can't their systems just handle that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

Shaft bearing, it's possible it just needs lubricating but more likely that it just needs chucking.

You can get low voltage ones for bathrooms (SELV) that are safe to change out yourself. It's usually only a matter of a few screws to change them anyway but mains + bathroom hazards.

It's interesting exactly what stories people tell themselves as to why such a thing would be the case though, from like the "seatbelts would make people drive like maniacs, killing more" to whatever is in the howling void of Liz Truss' head that comes up with "energy savings are against my ideology."

My father is a massive free marketeer and I once proposed getting him a t-shirt that said 'Good Things = Gulags' so anyone he cornered and engaged in conversation would have a heads up about the inevitable conclusion of his argument

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jippa posted:

What did he say?

I think you'd have to ask Mel B

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I expect it was something overly sexual, and since it happened to one of their conference speakers they can't sweep it under the rug.

poo poo man, hate living in his ward.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This is a good time for the regular reminder that the Spice Girls are all Tories who loved Thatcher.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

serious gaylord posted:

I expect it was something overly sexual

He's gay so it's not impossible but it's unlikely

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Jedit posted:

This is a good time for the regular reminder that the Spice Girls are all Tories who loved Thatcher.

The original girl boss

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jedit posted:

you've naively bought into some bad journalism there I'm afraid. Only two of them were.

Emma: I don't think so. I'm really not into anything like that. We had the big interview and I didn't say anything. I didn't even talk and there was a picture of me outside 10 Downing Street. I don't think I'll vote - am I allowed to say that? Do I think Margaret Thatcher is the original Spice Girl? Not particularly. My mum is.

Victoria: Personally I am a Tory. I was the one who called John Major a boring pillock. It depends how much they play on it, I suppose. If I'm being totally honest I wouldn't be surprised if it did influence people, especially younger people. Apparently I got asked the other day to go round to John Major's for tea with him and Norma. But he hasn't actually asked me.

Mel B: I don't believe in anything political because I'm an anarchist and I think the way the world's run is crap at the moment. That was bad journalism. It was twisted beyond belief and that's why it caused such a stir. I'm not a voter.

Mel C: I shouldn't think so. We are all very young girls and half of us haven't got a clue about politics for a start. I don't vote anymore because I don't know enough about politics to vote. I think you should be taught in school about politics. When I voted, I voted Labour. I'm from working-class Liverpool. Can you imagine the stick I got when all that was in the paper? My dad really frightened me. He was: you want to watch yourself when you go back to Liverpool. Margaret Thatcher? I think Margaret Thatcher is a complete prick, after what she's done to my hometown.

Geri: I really wish they'd written the whole loving drat interview. There was a real coalition government among us: an anarchist, a Labour, two Conservative and one that couldn't give a gently caress. Mel C was Labour, Victoria and I was Conservative - and even then I'm a little bit Liberal and Greenpeace - and Melanie B's an anarchist and Emma wasn't sure. It was my quote that Margaret Thatcher was a Spice Girl - she was the first advocate of Girl Power. Of course, she destroyed a lot of things. Everyone makes mistakes and she did. She hosed up big-time loads of different things, definitely, but what I give her credit for is she is the first loving woman. It said in the paper she sent me a Christmas card. It's still stuck in the post.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you've naively bought into some bad journalism there I'm afraid. Only two of them were.

Emma: I don't think so. I'm really not into anything like that. We had the big interview and I didn't say anything. I didn't even talk and there was a picture of me outside 10 Downing Street. I don't think I'll vote - am I allowed to say that? Do I think Margaret Thatcher is the original Spice Girl? Not particularly. My mum is.

Victoria: Personally I am a Tory. I was the one who called John Major a boring pillock. It depends how much they play on it, I suppose. If I'm being totally honest I wouldn't be surprised if it did influence people, especially younger people. Apparently I got asked the other day to go round to John Major's for tea with him and Norma. But he hasn't actually asked me.

Mel B: I don't believe in anything political because I'm an anarchist and I think the way the world's run is crap at the moment. That was bad journalism. It was twisted beyond belief and that's why it caused such a stir. I'm not a voter.

Mel C: I shouldn't think so. We are all very young girls and half of us haven't got a clue about politics for a start. I don't vote anymore because I don't know enough about politics to vote. I think you should be taught in school about politics. When I voted, I voted Labour. I'm from working-class Liverpool. Can you imagine the stick I got when all that was in the paper? My dad really frightened me. He was: you want to watch yourself when you go back to Liverpool. Margaret Thatcher? I think Margaret Thatcher is a complete prick, after what she's done to my hometown.

Geri: I really wish they'd written the whole loving drat interview. There was a real coalition government among us: an anarchist, a Labour, two Conservative and one that couldn't give a gently caress. Mel C was Labour, Victoria and I was Conservative - and even then I'm a little bit Liberal and Greenpeace - and Melanie B's an anarchist and Emma wasn't sure. It was my quote that Margaret Thatcher was a Spice Girl - she was the first advocate of Girl Power. Of course, she destroyed a lot of things. Everyone makes mistakes and she did. She hosed up big-time loads of different things, definitely, but what I give her credit for is she is the first loving woman. It said in the paper she sent me a Christmas card. It's still stuck in the post.

This is even worse than all of them just being tories.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1578456156778872832

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

stev posted:

Why?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Always knew the 2 Mels were the good ones, this is vindicating. Also they're ageing way better than the others, which I have to believe isn't coincidental

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

stev posted:

They were a manufactured band, put together to make money - it was a job not friendship.
I certainly don't get on with everyone at my job.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Tories: gently caress the troops, the troops are lazy freeloaders, all my homies hate the troops

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I didn't expect the gently caress Everyone party to gently caress me

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

No more old smelly buggers stinking up the place and constantly talking about how they stuck it up Jerry and they didn't like it.
Only decent Tory Prime Ministers and parliament members shall have expenses paid to have the privilege to pretend to care in front of the cameras.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I expect this is the beginning of the end of it, as with Trafalgar Day and Waterloo and Sebastopol and Khartoum and Rorke's Drift.

There was the big centennial and now it's going to taper off, until more people remember it for the film where Michael Caine drove a mini cooper into a bunch of Black men than the actual events, so any remembrance just becomes a pantomime of itself.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

somehow they perfectly mirror the english political landscape

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mel B: the B stands for "based"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

I expect this is the beginning of the end of it, as with Trafalgar Day and Waterloo and Sebastopol and Khartoum and Rorke's Drift.

There was the big centennial and now it's going to taper off, until more people remember it for the film where Michael Caine drove a mini cooper into a bunch of Black men than the actual events, so any remembrance just becomes a pantomime of itself.

Definitely a good idea for the world to forget that war led to the death of millions, yep yep yep

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It will turn into a thousand airbrushed van murals of spitfires strafing tommies carrying ar-15s which dissipate like the wind.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Definitely a good idea for the world to forget that war led to the death of millions, yep yep yep

Only matters if we remember the right things in the right way, though.

The way it's been going, we'll soon remember WW1 as a jolly European holiday where some lads from Accrington went and dug a trench in Flanders, it got a bit muddy for a bit, they wrote some poetry and some of them died when they were ordered to charge a machine gun, but it's OK because the general had never seen a machine gun before and it was all in the name of preserving Freedom and British Values.

Remembrance has increasingly been getting less about remembering the millions of dead and how horrible and futile it all was, and more about celebrating the fact that all those people died for a noble cause. Which is probably worse than forgetting it entirely.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just preparing for all the WWIII memorials, ie) none because it'll be a hole in the ground.

"Here lays the wreckage of the most honourable drone we had. It only killed 178 civilians."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BalloonFish posted:

Only matters if we remember the right things in the right way, though.

The way it's been going, we'll soon remember WW1 as a jolly European holiday where some lads from Accrington went and dug a trench in Flanders, it got a bit muddy for a bit, they wrote some poetry and some of them died when they were ordered to charge a machine gun, but it's OK because the general had never seen a machine gun before and it was all in the name of preserving Freedom and British Values.

Remembrance has increasingly been getting less about remembering the millions of dead and how horrible and futile it all was, and more about celebrating the fact that all those people died for a noble cause. Which is probably worse than forgetting it entirely.
There aren't even any veterans left of the war anywhere, to at least be a living reminder that maybe it wasn't a great time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

It definitely is. Russia more than most has a right to remember the dead fighting fascism and imperialism in Europe, but it's currently trying to liberate Ukraine from the gay Jewish drug Nazis because the leadership only cares about the aesthetic of that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Every war gets forgotten or misremembered in some way eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/georgemonbiot/status/1578430244515520512