Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
SHOULD be Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo. :colbert:

Yes, I am still a Bloodhound Gang fan in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

IUG posted:

https://twitter.com/dredg/status/1575899373438844929

I just got their first album’s 20th anniversary album like a month ago! I sigh as unsheath my wallet.

did you end up getting this? I absolutely cannot justify $64 USD for a double LP with $37 USD shipping but I feel like I will still be envious

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I did. US shipping was only $10.95, so I paid $50.95. It’s saying no tax in the email, but that can’t be right. I think closer to $54 USD.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

IUG posted:

Yeah I did. US shipping was only $10.95, so I paid $50.95. It’s saying no tax in the email, but that can’t be right. I think closer to $54 USD.

ohhhh it's showing the prices in AUD not USD. I guess that takes it into more reasonable territory but I think I might still have to give it a miss. I really like the idea of the etched track titles in the runout

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Happy Hippo posted:

Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my all-time favorite album and tomorrow I should be receiving the 11 LP super deluxe edition box set so I'm pretty excited about that

Reminds me of a hotel I used to drive by all the time

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Man, thanks for the reminder on the Dredg record. I have a lot of really fond memories of it. $50.95 is lol though

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I figured it is a double album, so it’s like $20 a platter, and shipping is just expected. That, and this is the album I first found them, and have been buying their CDs ever since.

At this rate I’m going to be rebuying their whole catalog in vinyl, minus Chuckles.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Really envy you lot with your awesome collections

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
My new vinyl is included in bandcamp's featured synthwave vinyl section :toot:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I haven't bought any vaporwave in a few months, and immediately made up for it today by buying four different records.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

IUG posted:

I figured it is a double album, so it’s like $20 a platter, and shipping is just expected. That, and this is the album I first found them, and have been buying their CDs ever since.

At this rate I’m going to be rebuying their whole catalog in vinyl, minus Chuckles.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I bought it too :shepspends:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Funny, as i watched this I determined that I was roughly 75/25 music lover/vinyl collector. About a minute after I did so, the guy says that he's 75/25 too. I definitely feel like in the 2000s I was more music than collector. I'm already prone to obsessively collecting poo poo so the even though that aspect of it has increased in recent years I've consciously tamped it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqgnhVnQGw

I know he says both are valid but he's a salesman so of course both are valid to him. We all know collecting is a sign of weakness! I am only half-joking.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

Funny, as i watched this I determined that I was roughly 75/25 music lover/vinyl collector. About a minute after I did so, the guy says that he's 75/25 too. I definitely feel like in the 2000s I was more music than collector. I'm already prone to obsessively collecting poo poo so the even though that aspect of it has increased in recent years I've consciously tamped it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqgnhVnQGw

I know he says both are valid but he's a salesman so of course both are valid to him. We all know collecting is a sign of weakness! I am only half-joking.

I collect all the bullshit because I love the music. I don't know why it can't be both.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pete cannon did a rerelease of some of his songs today because he noticed the prices were pretty high on discogs.

I was gonna bite but the $26 shipping put me off, now they’re sold out and I’ve learned my lesson

:negative:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://twitter.com/nee_massey/status/1578844989131395073

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Someone prevent that child from collecting records before it's too late.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Any idea what this record is?

Searching for the title on discogs didn't get me anything. Its from my mothers section of my multisource vinyl collection so its like 70's/80's. I'm not sure what copying records was like then so I'm not sure if its an actual release or something else more bespoke.

It feels very metallic in lieu of the softer vinyl that I'm used to so I'm afraid to actually try and play it to search for lyrics out of fear of messing up my stylus.

It could alternatively be from my father's parents collection which would put it somewhere in the first half of the 20th century. (My father traded his sizeable record collection for a Harley.)

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 9, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's probably a shellac 78 (it does in fact say "recorded at 78 RPM" which doesn't necessarily mean it's shellac but the way you've described it makes it sound that way) so good call on not playing it because those will gently caress up a microgroove stylus. The label there looks like the sort you'd see on a test pressing but I have no idea if shellac records had test pressings.

edit: My other suspicion was that it's an acetate which appears to be the case.

https://obsoletemedia.org/acetate/

https://obsoletemedia.org/audiodisc/

So basically what you have there isn't anything that was commercially release in some form and is probably an amateur recording.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 9, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There were places in music towns like NYC, Nashville, LA where you could kinda walk in off the street and cut an acetate back in the day. Bob Dylan talked about that in his autobiography I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Laughing to keep from aging or laughing to keep from dying?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Laughing to keep from aging or laughing to keep from dying?

Crying, I assume.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Happy Hippo posted:

Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my all-time favorite album and tomorrow I should be receiving the 11 LP super deluxe edition box set so I'm pretty excited about that

That's a desert island record for me too but I don't think I need 11LPs of anything. Let me know if it's cool at least!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The next Dylan bootleg series is 10 lps of Time out of Mind outtakes. Dylan’s my guy and I love that album but I just don’t know if I need that at all.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Not sure why but I can’t stop listening to Beck lately and would really love it if he could get some of those older albums of his pressed again. the information had one vinyl run and it was some obnoxious box set with markers and poo poo. Just a standard A/B would be great

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Awww yeah, new Negativland triple LP is on the way!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Not sure why but I can’t stop listening to Beck lately and would really love it if he could get some of those older albums of his pressed again. the information had one vinyl run and it was some obnoxious box set with markers and poo poo. Just a standard A/B would be great

A bunch of the master tapes from his stuff were destroyed in a fire a few years ago along with decades of other music. I'm not sure what stuff it was but basically I wouldn't hold my breath on anything that isn't already on vinyl. I've been hoping for a Midnite Vultures (It only got a relatively small one off pressing in the 90s) reissue for years but I'm thinking if it was going to happen it would have already happened.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

jiffypop45 posted:

Any idea what this record is?

Searching for the title on discogs didn't get me anything. Its from my mothers section of my multisource vinyl collection so its like 70's/80's. I'm not sure what copying records was like then so I'm not sure if its an actual release or something else more bespoke.

It feels very metallic in lieu of the softer vinyl that I'm used to so I'm afraid to actually try and play it to search for lyrics out of fear of messing up my stylus.

It could alternatively be from my father's parents collection which would put it somewhere in the first half of the 20th century. (My father traded his sizeable record collection for a Harley.)

Oh hey, I recognize that record label! From this very thread a few years ago:

Ballz posted:

Something different for today...

I found this record in a thrift shop for 10 cents. It's from 1953-54 and is actually a teenager's school assignments for a speech class at Ithica College.

Several brief recordings were pressed on this disc (the first three at 78 rpm and the final two at 33 rpm) and cover her work across the school year. Most of the assignments are kind of bleh... giving a summary about muscular dystrophy, reciting a poem, telling a really drawn out joke... but the final recording is something she wrote, describing a field trip she and her classmates took to an industrial factory and later going to a Yankees baseball game, where she saw Mickey Mantle hit a home run.

It's kind of surreal hearing this sudden slice of history come alive for a brief moment. For Joan it was just a class project that she slipped away into a Nat King Cole album sleeve and eventually forgot its existence. But for me it's like there's something more, something significant in this seemingly insignificant piece of vinyl.

I now invite you to take a peek into the world of Joan Santelli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNze-lg4uoY

Going back to your specific record, if it is indeed an acetate disc you can play it on a normal record player, but the record itself will wear out much more quickly than a conventional vinyl record... so you may want to rip the audio digitally from it so you don't have to play it back regularly.

Like wa27 said, the title is probably "Laughing to Keep from Crying" which is a common enough expression that it could be pretty much anything. For me it immediately made me think of the recently rediscovered Nat Turner Rebellion album but that's probably a coincidence (although if you happen to live near Philadelphia... maybe not)

Edit: Since your label is identical to mine, I'd place the age of it being made in the late 1940s or 1950s.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 11, 2022

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I do actually live in Philly!

I'll give it a try and see what its got on it. The coating is starting to come off so only the inner third is actually going to be playable after I clean it up but, its neat to imagine what might be on it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

jiffypop45 posted:

I do actually live in Philly!

I'll give it a try and see what its got on it. The coating is starting to come off so only the inner third is actually going to be playable after I clean it up but, its neat to imagine what might be on it.

Whoa that’d be crazy if… naw, I still think it’s 1950s vintage. Nat Turner Rebellion would be late 60s at the earliest and even if this was some home demo Joe Jefferson did as a teenager I still think the record is too old. Gotta admit I’m pretty intrigued to find out what’s on it, although I’m sure we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment!

Also FYI the record might be 78 rpm. My Joan Santelli record ended up being a mixture of both 78 and 33 rpm.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm reminded of the old PBS show History Detectives in which there was an episode where a dude had an aluminium record that was a recording direct from radio of most of an Amos n Andy show, possibly one that they only previously had the script to. And yes it was also from the 40s iirc.

Edit: Might have been even earlier now that I think about it, the 1920s even.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 11, 2022

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CPL593H posted:

A bunch of the master tapes from his stuff were destroyed in a fire a few years ago along with decades of other music. I'm not sure what stuff it was but basically I wouldn't hold my breath on anything that isn't already on vinyl. I've been hoping for a Midnite Vultures (It only got a relatively small one off pressing in the 90s) reissue for years but I'm thinking if it was going to happen it would have already happened.

Midnite vultures rules. Definitely have to be in the right mood for it but man is it good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

One of my favorite albums in the last couple years just became available on vinyl for the first time ever

https://twitter.com/youngpirelli/status/1579536084392116224?s=20&t=NzixgoZD--8bKS2UoHxQyw

The first tweet is him saying "It should ship in a couple months if they get enough preorders". Is that standard operating procedure for these small print runs? It seems strange to throw money at something like this with the hopes that maybe it will get made (this is why I dont back kickstarters I guess), or is it me whos out of touch and not the kids?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I would assume you would get your money back in this case. But it's like a lot of things - until you print x copies, it's not economical to do, so if you get enough preorders then you'll know you'll make money.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Wow Jacob Miller/Ray-I's Natty Christmas got a repressing. Glad it's available for not $100 but I don't know how their quality is. Nice to see it his catalog isn't just sitting in limbo. One of my favorite holiday albums to put on.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got this 45 in a lot today and it's not at all what I expected from a Johnny B Goode cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6hxTkioX4

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

I got this 45 in a lot today and it's not at all what I expected from a Johnny B Goode cover:

I feel almost like I shouldn't be listening to this, kinda like those early folk music compilation LPs entitled "I Believe I'll go Back Home" and "I Don't feel at Home in this World Anymore."

Could only find one of them on YouTube in full.

Yes I have wrestled with the idea of buying these multiple times, since they are a little out there in places.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

I feel almost like I shouldn't be listening to this, kinda like those early folk music compilation LPs entitled "I Believe I'll go Back Home" and "I Don't feel at Home in this World Anymore."

Could only find one of them on YouTube in full.

Yes I have wrestled with the idea of buying these multiple times, since they are a little out there in places.

Ha, I bought this exact one several months ago!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Read After Burning posted:

Ha, I bought this exact one several months ago!

Yeah, a friend had a copy and played it for me once. Was creepier sounding through her set setup than it is on youtube, idk if it just was because of the context I first heard it in or what.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

And this is the only release they have listed on discogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wa27 posted:

This is Beach Boys influenced enough that I'm nearly convinced it was somebody associated with them's side project that never went anywhere and was never intended to go anywhere, much like the one T. Rex song recorded as Dib Cochran and the Earwigs. The only contemporary reference I can find is a May 1966 Cash Box blurb where the band labels it "baroque pop." It's a very different feel than Stand Back and Look at Yourself, which sounds as generic as possible.

I can find zero contemporary newspaper references to the Mudd Family being a singing group, just the Cash Box mention, and it doesn't mention anyone by name.