Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sean payton is going to the cleveland browns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Saints owner should let Payton go but make Payton take Taysom Hill with him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kind of doubt the owner of the Saints would be that big of a dick to Payton. They need to support each other in votes for all kinds of poo poo and while yeah - old billionaires are cunts or whatever but they'll still come around to the "whats best for the league" type bullshit.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
From Dan Graziano's notebook:

quote:

Coaching hot seat chatter is already starting to pick up, and there was a lot of buzz early in the week about the Panthers possibly making a move with Matt Rhule if things don't pick up soon. If that happens, look for former Cardinals coach Steve Wilks, currently on the Carolina staff as defensive pass game coordinator/secondary coach, to be the most likely interim head coach for the rest of the season.

Nothing we didn't already know, other than maybe Wilks being the interim choice over McAdoo

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Why give Wilkes even an interim job after the Arizona disaster?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

would you rather give Ben McAdoo the interim job

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Colts can lure Payton to him if Irsay shares his stash

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Alaois posted:

would you rather give Ben McAdoo the interim job

Surely there's more than just Wilkes and Macadoo on the staff

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Kevin Gilbride?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gosh with such an all-star staff, I wonder how the Panthers ever went so wrong!!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Surely there's more than just Wilkes and Macadoo on the staff

oh sure there's Paul Pasqualoni lmao

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That's Kevin Gilbride's son I think who hasn't done anything particularly notable, but I guess he has coaching 'bloodlines' or whatever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Benne posted:

From Dan Graziano's notebook:

Nothing we didn't already know, other than maybe Wilks being the interim choice over McAdoo

soon = 13 more games

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Honestly, how much worse would Wilks be over Rhule? It isn't like the Panthers have any expectations left for the season at this point, at least Rhule would be gone

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also looking up the list of the panthers coaching staff lead me to discover matt rhule has assistant head coaches for both the offense and defense, leading me to question what his actual job is

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wilkes was given a blindfold and a cigarette in Arizona.

There’s a lot of tension between the DC snow and the rest of the defensive coaching staff. Wilkes is apparently the person the players respect the most.

I imagine snow is fired with Rhule. At that point you just need someone the players will listen to that can run practice and keep them playing on Sunday. You don’t want a Raheem Morris situation where players were just showing up to play call of duty during the week.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Alaois posted:

also looking up the list of the panthers coaching staff lead me to discover matt rhule has assistant head coaches for both the offense and defense, leading me to question what his actual job is

He's supposed to wander the halls with an increasingly haunted look on his face. Perfect for October.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FizFashizzle posted:

There’s a lot of tension between the DC snow and the rest of the defensive coaching staff. Wilkes is apparently the person the players respect the most.

I'm not saying don't fire Rhule. Given this info yeah he's fine for an interim

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

honestly id be surprised if it doesn't happen after the upcoming loss to san francisco

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

2 great weeks of practice? on the bench, bitch

but 3? well then...

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1578397519356248066?s=20&t=0dvPQmwrVeYwf5tsOchSJQ

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Steve Wilks can at least call a pro defense and just turn Luvu and Burns loose instead of dropping them into coverage.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kinda trips me out that the special teams depth linebacker that Maccagnan signed as an UDFA is probably the 3rd most productive player he brought into the league after Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams. Good for Luvu.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Luvu is absolutely a player.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I hate, hate, hate the scouting parlance and lazy analysis of "x factor" but gently caress me does he have it in spades.

Every defensive play against the cardinals where someone did something in the front 7 his name was called. Just an absolute diamond in the rough find.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ruhle just kicked a red zone FG down 18 in the 4th

thinking he doesn't want to miss out on the Oklahoma job

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If Rhule isn't gone after this game he's going to be there all season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kazil posted:

If Rhule isn't gone after this game he's going to be there all season.

stadium was about 30% panthers fans today.

if this doesn't do it then...I dunno

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

Wilkes was given a blindfold and a cigarette in Arizona.

I imagine snow is fired with Rhule. At that point you just need someone the players will listen to that can run practice and keep them playing on Sunday. You don’t want a Raheem Morris situation where players were just showing up to play call of duty during the week.

Yeah, interim coach should be whoever can keep the ship afloat. If Wilks has the respect of the players then it should be him.

It’s not like interim coach gets to inherit Rhule’s contract. You could just as easily fire them after the season anyway

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Florio thinks today is the day and Rhule was crying at his press conference yesterday so we’ll see.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What's the earliest in a season a HC has been fired?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FizFashizzle posted:

Florio thinks today is the day and Rhule was crying at his press conference yesterday so we’ll see.

Wow, Niners’ defense made a dude cry, that rules

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

I swear there was a week 4 firing not that long ago.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hugo Bezdek was fired by the Cleveland Rams three games into the season in 1938. If we're counting preseason, George Allen was fired by the Los Angeles Rams two games into that in 1978.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
More recently I believe Lane Kiffin, Dennis Allen and Philbin were all fired after week 4.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Matt drool

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Matt Rhuled out of ever coaching a snap again in the NFL

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Even Hue Jackson made it through week 8 after going 1-31 the prior 2 years lol

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Docjowles posted:

I feel like he might have survived that season if he didn't go to Haslam to get Williams fired on the same day Williams demanded Jackson was fired.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

This deserves an asterisk because Browns and also because Hue Jackson is apparently the goddamned master of office politics.

Not a good coach, pretty damned good at the gossip that makes him look good or at least makes it look like it's someone else's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doesn't seem like there will be blood today.
https://twitter.com/1PantherPlace/status/1579461366465064960