Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bathroom's for shittin', Ray, gently caress you. Sorry I couldn't wait til Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oxxidation posted:

you lovely little work-in-a-room shirt and car man

Just impeccable use of language.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Safety Dance posted:

Just impeccable use of language.

Almost a celebration of a language.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Go get pegged in a room, supper chunks" is still a go-to for me even though it's kinda esoteric as insults go

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Had some rear end in a top hat hit my car and drive away. To me a flower is but a nuisance, my car has been hit.

*drives thru some corn* THIS CORN IS YOU, SOME rear end in a top hat!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

loaded gun

hidden in a corn cob

baby carrot is the trigger

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

World War Mammories posted:

loaded gun

hidden in a corn cob

So pretty much eXistenZ, got it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I know a guy whose car got shot. his mood roughly matched the comic, yes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

platero posted:

So pretty much eXistenZ, got it.
You wanna special, stoopet?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I started reading random strips again after an interview in Vulture (https://www.vulture.com/article/achewood-jes-tom-interview.html) and happened upon the really hosed up strip where Ray puked into a hat and poured Ketel One into a 7-11 cup: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08302013 Anyways, the alt-text reads "Parking lot behind Pho Oregon, February 2011". If you go back to February 2011 in the archives, there's a "we're back from hiatus" strip. So I'm guessing Onstad hit rock bottom at that time, went to rehab, and came back to write about it in the Ray in Rehab arc nine months later? There's no greater point to be made here, it's just interesting (and sad) sometimes when you can pretty clearly map the story to Onstad's life.

The Vulture interview was pretty good, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Necronomicon posted:

I started reading random strips again after an interview in Vulture (https://www.vulture.com/article/achewood-jes-tom-interview.html) and happened upon the really hosed up strip where Ray puked into a hat and poured Ketel One into a 7-11 cup: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08302013 Anyways, the alt-text reads "Parking lot behind Pho Oregon, February 2011". If you go back to February 2011 in the archives, there's a "we're back from hiatus" strip. So I'm guessing Onstad hit rock bottom at that time, went to rehab, and came back to write about it in the Ray in Rehab arc nine months later? There's no greater point to be made here, it's just interesting (and sad) sometimes when you can pretty clearly map the story to Onstad's life.

yeah I think the general assumption is that the Golden Tabloid arc is about Onstad finding a good strain of medicinal weed

hopefully he’s got a healthy nontoxic relationship with it

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Necronomicon posted:

very good interview but as a Lyle/Teodor personality type (has been long-term restaurant ppl, has been to Drinkin' Island, bit of a ditherer) i am sad that neither was mentioned

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
lyle's review of the bear is the blogpost I want to read here in 2022

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Javid posted:

lyle's review of the bear is the blogpost I want to read here in 2022

hell yeah. dunno if onstad has gotten too far from that Lyle-life to keep that flavor of performative "authenticity", but as a person who freaked out a little when a TV kitchen (Community) used a prep bucket i've used I'd want to read that

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Wonder how poor Cocktail Recipes is taking all this.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

palamedes posted:

very good interview but as a Lyle/Teodor personality type (has been long-term restaurant ppl, has been to Drinkin' Island, bit of a ditherer) i am sad that neither was mentioned

I’ve spent enough time in food service to have a decent sense of Lyle’s whole deal and yet I’m glad that that’s as far as it goes. A buddy of mine has been in kitchens since we were in college and he’s just so much more worn out in general.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Pentaro posted:

Wonder how poor Cocktail Recipes is taking all this.

He's had to change his name to Mocktail Recipes. He sucks dick for cocktail onions.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

loaded gun

hidden in a corn cob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qd06CMzpL4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
NEW COOKBOOK JUST DROPPED

https://achewood-holiday-pop-up.myshopify.com/collections/cookbooks/products/new-cookbook-vol-ii

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I like that the Pat recipe is clarified as being "genuinely delicious to non-Pat people"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally I will receive my preorder.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I ordered one with the understanding that there is still an opportunity for my disappointment

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh look it has Nice Pete's fried chicken recipe, if you didn't print out that article with it in there years ago and jam it into your assorted recipes duotang

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Happy for onstad that he has escaped Drinking Island

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Well guess I'll have to order both that and the first volume

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The zine discount with the cookbook just got me to impulse-buy the zines, so yeah, I'm a stooge. Also a t-shirt, because it's the mid-2000's again? I was tempted to buy another Rabbit Ambulance shirt to replace my old one, but I refrained for now.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Also a t-shirt, because it's the mid-2000's again?

The Kronos Cafe design is a goddamn delight, and if Chris pivoted to just making t-shirts for fictional 1970s restaurants, I would buy every single one of them.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
  IS
    GREEK

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Aaaaaaand Cookbook 2 is sold out. drat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Strange Cares posted:

Aaaaaaand Cookbook 2 is sold out. drat.

I think the link just changed. Shopify let me order one, at least.

https://achewood-holiday-pop-up.mys...&pr_seq=uniform

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
The first item was signed/limited to 100.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If we had a preorder does it come signed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

withak posted:

If we had a preorder does it come signed.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I was trying to show this to someone yesterday and search doesn't seem to be able to find it. Do you know the date on this one?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ManiacClown posted:

I was trying to show this to someone yesterday and search doesn't seem to be able to find it. Do you know the date on this one?

9/10/10 - Another Lovely gently caress You Friday

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ManiacClown posted:

ohnorobot doesn't go forward past like 08, mid 09, something like that

I emailed ryan north to volunteer to do more of it myself and he never got back to me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ohnorobot doesn't go forward past like 08, mid 09, something like that

I emailed ryan north to volunteer to do more of it myself and he never got back to me :(

I'm slowly adding all the text as actual text to the PDFs, and when I (eventually) compile the whole thing into one mammoth PDF file, it will be usable for searches.