Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Clarste posted:

Conceivably he could use the successful "I am a clown and only an idiot would take me seriously" defense.

a long time ago he and other talking heads wanted to have their cake and eat it too. that is still have a clown defense, but hope they would get a big break / their own watergate/deepthroat Pulitzer moment. like I think there are some early era twitter posts of him meltdown when he's told he's not a real journalist. though these days he's probably resigned himself that he's just a regressive clown for the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know why my right wing colleagues automatically assume I like him or that he's any kind of representation of far left views. I imagine it's something as simple as him being an atheist, pro weed and anti war for the most part

Correct. Bill Maher got declared the greatest liberal hero because he was like "Hey the Iraq war is kind of bad" and also wasn't a fan of religion. And now we find out he's a massive Islamophobe and has essentially turned into a right winger, but because he was against the war when the war was popular he is forever branded a radical leftist.

PhazonLink posted:

a long time ago he and other talking heads wanted to have their cake and eat it too. that is still have a clown defense, but hope they would get a big break / their own watergate/deepthroat Pulitzer moment.

My favorite moment of Hannity desperately tring to pull an exposure of the corrupt mainstream media is when he tweeted at CBS News to say "Why are you ignoring this story?" with a link to the story on CBS News.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

the man nearly lost his life in a shooting, I think it's entirely reasonable for him to have the means to defend himself. After Jan 6th, even moreso.

Do you complain when police officers carry service weapons? What about soldiers?

https://twitter.com/WFLA/status/1578392669272809472?t=lvPg-Goe3GJxT127R6SIGQ&s=19

People who are this trigger happy should not be armed. You do know that most British cops do their jobs just fine without carrying a firearm.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Skex posted:

https://twitter.com/WFLA/status/1578392669272809472?t=lvPg-Goe3GJxT127R6SIGQ&s=19

People who are this trigger happy should not be armed. You do know that most British cops do their jobs just fine without carrying a firearm.

British cops kill people once they're in custody

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

British cops kill people once they're in custody

This is also the preferred method among Australian cops.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Yeah you don't get shot before you're arrested, you just repeatedly slam your own face in a door or they accidentally break your spine during the arrest

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
This is called "policing by consent"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess for a hot minute, maybe Michael Moore was the closest comparison I can think of but I'm really hard pressed to think of a media or cultural figure "on the left" that can rival the weird cult like following that so many of the people we discuss in this thread seem to have and the politicians they peddle. I enjoy some of the "liberal shows" and podcasts from time to time and have enjoyed movies and books from Moore and Franken here and there but I don't sit in my cubicle all day and listen to it or wish I could find a radio station in my car that gives my daily dose of telling what to think and why conservatives and Republicans are assholes.

There is also a big difference between how teams D and R relate to the 'grassroots' media figures aligned with them. Even when Michael Moore was doing the highest-grossing documentaries in the country, elected dems basically pretended he did not exist and would have gladly imploded him if they could, especially after he compiled Pharma donations for members of Congress with Hillary getting the biggest slice of the pie in his movie 'Sicko'. They have an ironclad policy of always staying 'respectable' and never endorsing anyone that might inflame the base too much. The party may appreciate the message they spread, but will never stick their neck out for anyone outside the office.

In contrast, the GOP embraces their media radicals. Diamond&Silk got invited to Congress to take selfies with senators, presidential candidates go hug Alex Jones, Candace freaking Owens has pretty much been enshrined in the party's conference and event circles. Rush Limbaugh was a powerhouse in the movement and got the Medal of Freedom, Fox news talking heads have a revolving door for GOP positions, and so on and so forth. The circle of grift and outrage needs all the energy it can get, and both sides of that equation know that. Besides, what better way to control them than keeping the loons in-house?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

This is also the preferred method among Australian cops.

Near as i can tell, cops are bastards in pretty much any country (some just go about it differently)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

No poo poo.

Get out of the car!

Why?

BANG BANG BANG

Pretty sure we'll find out soon that the guy driving was "No angel" but god drat. I'm white and middle aged but I'm gently caress all if I just get out of the car because a guy with a badge says so. Jesus Christ that cop didn't even hesitate. He can't argue "he felt for his safety" or his life was in danger. Least as far as I can see.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It’s scary as hell how much the media has clamped down on copaganda and how everyone is swallowing it. Cops are killing as much, if no more than ever, and they’ve been sucking COVID funds and communities in general dry to do it, but I don’t see anyone calling it out besides people one Twitter. There have been so many awful stories, but I haven’t seen anything since Uvalde get widespread coverage.

The “horrifying” examples of crimes that they used to get liberals to abandon BLM are so weak too. Walgreens shoplifting. Seeing a homeless person. Subway turn style jumpers! Oh no, not fare jumpers! If only those uppity black people hadn’t suggested cashless bail!

Two straight years of blaming every problem in society on black people who don’t want to be killed by the police.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Correct. Bill Maher got declared the greatest liberal hero because he was like "Hey the Iraq war is kind of bad" and also wasn't a fan of religion. And now we find out he's a massive Islamophobe and has essentially turned into a right winger, but because he was against the war when the war was popular he is forever branded a radical leftist.

Bill Maher is apparently considered a "liberal" because he likes weed and hates religion. Otherwise he's a rich white guy with rich white guy concerns. Just another reminder that it's class war all the way down.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I cant find a damned thing on Rudy and him being arrested except for this thing that says that a sheriff is 'on notice' but with no real info backing it up other than everything referencing a NYPost article which is, of course, no better than National Enquirer level of news.
Rudy did, in the midst of everyone asking "is Rudy in jail yet?", tweet out a Mypillow ad to use the code Rudy.
I guess he figured he would take advantage of the fact that he was trending.

https://twitter.com/PissedTom/status/1578927643000705024

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Someone earlier in the thread said that Rudy did show up at court to say "Here are my bank statements to show I made the payments" and since it could be the kind of thing the court has to actually go through and add up to say "No you still owe x more" they couldn't just immediately say "You didn't pay enough" right then and there. Especially since it's the weekend now I imagine we won't hear anything until Monday at the earliest, maybe even a little later.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said that Rudy did show up at court to say "Here are my bank statements to show I made the payments" and since it could be the kind of thing the court has to actually go through and add up to say "No you still owe x more" they couldn't just immediately say "You didn't pay enough" right then and there. Especially since it's the weekend now I imagine we won't hear anything until Monday at the earliest, maybe even a little later.
Monday is a federal holiday, so Tuesday at the earliest.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All of the liberal media personalities that were big during the Dubya administration ended up flaming out into obscurity, had allegations, or turned out to be gigantic bigots. Stephen Colbert is I think the only one still standing.

The closest thing to a leftist media personality I can think of is whatever podcast you've latched on to. And they might all be vicious to each other.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Could've sworn Michael Moore became persona non grata with a lot of "liberals" because he was warning them that Hillary Clinton wasn't doing enough to court the blue-collar rust-belt votes that are central to a Democratic candidate's win.

At least, I remember Moore being accused of essentially being a traitor to the cause because he wasn't doing all he could to hype Clinton up in the media when he appeared and follow the DNC narrative.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Could've sworn Michael Moore became persona non grata with a lot of "liberals" because he was warning them that Hillary Clinton wasn't doing enough to court the blue-collar rust-belt votes that are central to a Democratic candidate's win.

At least, I remember Moore being accused of essentially being a traitor to the cause because he wasn't doing all he could to hype Clinton up in the media when he appeared and follow the DNC narrative.

I don't recall much of that beyond Moore (accurately) positing that Trump could actually win and articulating why. I'm not sure why or even if he became "persona non grata" and it feels/felt more like a case of someone's 15 minutes being up. I enjoyed some of his movies and books but never found myself thinking he was any kind of beacon of truth nor a person I centered my entire identity around the way so many right wingers seem to do.

Then again, a lot of these types come and go and get thrown a pile that includes people like O'Reilly, Palin, Paul Ryan, Michael Savage, Glen Beck, Oberman and so forth. I guess you could add Maddow to that list now too.

In Moore's case, it seemed like a matter of people getting tired of his style, a sustained hate campaign from RWM and more than a few cases of questionable editing and poo poo like that in his movies that dinged his credibility.

It's a little like people getting tired of and growing out of liking certain music bands but still have a soft spot for their old stuff.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't recall much of that beyond Moore (accurately) positing that Trump could actually win and articulating why. I'm not sure why or even if he became "persona non grata" and it feels/felt more like a case of someone's 15 minutes being up. I enjoyed some of his movies and books but never found myself thinking he was any kind of beacon of truth nor a person I centered my entire identity around the way so many right wingers seem to do.

Then again, a lot of these types come and go and get thrown a pile that includes people like O'Reilly, Palin, Paul Ryan, Michael Savage, Glen Beck, Oberman and so forth. I guess you could add Maddow to that list now too.

In Moore's case, it seemed like a matter of people getting tired of his style, a sustained hate campaign from RWM and more than a few cases of questionable editing and poo poo like that in his movies that dinged his credibility.

It's a little like people getting tired of and growing out of liking certain music bands but still have a soft spot for their old stuff.

Him being just a guest who's no longer relevant or selling a book or movie or whatever is probably it, but I definitely recall a lot of Twitter liberals who just kept responding with, "Ugh, how DARE YOU." Prominent people and not just randos, too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes there were definitely a bunch of establishment liberals who got upset that he said he thought there was a good chance Trump would win and that people needed to believe that could happen.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'd imagine that YouTube made his kind of documentary redundant at a theatrical level, as well. Why settle for something produced a year earlier when you could get something with (about) the same production values made earlier that same week? A lot of what he did was based around the idea of talking about issues that weren't otherwise being discussed via a large platform.

EDIT - Streaming documentaries are probably a more apt comparison, albeit with a longer turnaround than YouTube.

After The War fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 9, 2022

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes there were definitely a bunch of establishment liberals who got upset that he said he thought there was a good chance Trump would win and that people needed to believe that could happen.

He was 100% correct but at the same time unfortunately not a lot of people thought that way in 2016 because of (foolishly) believing the American electorate (well, half of them) weren't spiteful human beings that would vote for a blazing orange train wreck just because he promised to hurt the right people for them about half the time he opened his mouth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moore at least still has a lot of connection to blue collar communities and how they work, and I think because of that he saw the rise of Trump more clearly than those who are not as familiar with those areas in the Rust Belt/South

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Michael Moore was sounding the alarm about Democrats’ decreasing appeal to working class voters, but also he engaged in some ugly gloating about Texas losing power in that lethal cold snap from last year (Was that last year? What even is time anymore?). Land of contrasts, I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

He was 100% correct but at the same time unfortunately not a lot of people thought that way in 2016 because of (foolishly) believing the American electorate (well, half of them) weren't spiteful human beings that would vote for a blazing orange train wreck just because he promised to hurt the right people for them about half the time he opened his mouth.

Dr Christmas posted:

Michael Moore was sounding the alarm about Democrats’ decreasing appeal to working class voters, but also he engaged in some ugly gloating about Texas losing power in that lethal cold snap from last year (Was that last year? What even is time anymore?). Land of contrasts, I guess.

He also (rightfully) pointed fingers at Hillary's lovely campaign and the democrats' tendency to take certain voting blocs for granted without ever really delivering for them or addressing their issues. Which a lot of them still do.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying he's such a great guy, but compared to most of the media ecosystem, he had his ear way more to the ground than pretty much anyone else who was put on TV.

The unfortunate continuation of this was constant Russia talk instead of doing an honest postmortem of the 2016 election, one that would have indicated Democratic losses in rustbelt areas. Instead, they just kept pointing the finger at Russia so they didn't have to do any actual course-correction.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

No poo poo.

Get out of the car!

Why?

BANG BANG BANG

Pretty sure we'll find out soon that the guy driving was "No angel" but god drat. I'm white and middle aged but I'm gently caress all if I just get out of the car because a guy with a badge says so. Jesus Christ that cop didn't even hesitate. He can't argue "he felt for his safety" or his life was in danger. Least as far as I can see.

They already tried that with a “he was no angel by proxy” attempt. The cop claimed the kid had ran from him in the same car days earlier, which is why he reacted like this and it was the kids fault for having run a few days earlier. But it turned out it wasn’t the same car or driver and the cop simply mistook the car as the same one. So the cop wasn’t at fault because the kid was mistaken for being no angel and simply should have complied with a random person opening his door and telling him to get out of his car

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I didn't know "running from the cops" was a murderable offence over there. That's wild! Don't your police have dog units that can track people? We have entire TV shows about them.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Weatherman posted:

I didn't know "running from the cops" was a murderable offence over there. That's wild! Don't your police have dog units that can track people? We have entire TV shows about them.

Police dogs actually tracking someone is definitely made for tv stuff. Police dogs are for maiming people who try to run on foot.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Police dogs are to give the cops a reason to search your vehicle when they false alert like they are trained to do..

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sephyr posted:

Even when Michael Moore was doing the highest-grossing documentaries in the country, elected dems basically pretended he did not exist and would have gladly imploded him if they could

Well, he doesn't have that much mass.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

More of the usual on Hannity today, though since Lee Zeldin was his guest they were talking about specific crimes rather than his usual generic. The two that got the most play to show how Dems are all evil and insane and want you and your entire family to die were a domestic violence case where an abusive ex husband shot and killed a woman while she was taking her kids to school, the woman was even wearing a bulletproof vest (which didn't help) because she was so fearful for her life. The other was a case where a woman was beaten so badly that she's probably going to lose eyesight in both her eyes. Hannity and Zeldin both blamed defund the police and no bail laws as the cause of these crimes as well as the "record high crime" that's been happening the past two years. Both of them claimed that the perpetrators in both incidents were violent criminals that should have been locked up but were set free to commit their crimes by no bail laws.

There was also a particularly gross moment where they were talking about a shooting that occurred near Zeldin's home while his two teenage daughters were in the house. Hannity was like "Gosh with that happening so close to your home, don't you think maybe it was some crazy liberal trying to hurt you and your family?" Zeldin then said the cops had investigated and concluded that the crime wasn't targeting him or his daughters, that it was completely unrelated to him. Hannity then followed up with "Yeah but don't you think that maybe it's possible that the cops are wrong and it really was an attack against you that just didn't succeed?" I can't blame Hannity I guess for the initial question since apparently Zeldin was actually attacked by a guy on stage at a campaign event, Zeldin described the weapon as a blade though apparently according to a quick look at Wikipedia it was a pointed plastic keychain that's meant to be used for self defense. The guy actually was released without bail the day after the attack, though he got arrested on federal charges shortly after since Zeldin is currently a member of Congress. Still, Hannity's insistence on Zeldin saying "Yes clearly the libs are attempting to kill me" was hosed up.

The funniest part of his show though was definitely him talking about the PA senate race with some woman who called in, saying she used to live in Braddock and was talking about Fetterman owning six houses or whatever and said "I always wondered how he was able to afford that much property, is the salary for lieutenant governor really that high? But thanks to your show exposing how Fetterman is a trust fund baby who was living off his rich parents and his sister selling him his first house for a dollar I now know he's just from a rich family and he doesn't know what it's like to be a common man at all." And it's funny because Dr. Oz is from rich families too, hell the man went to Harvard. Apparently his mom's side of the family is like one of the richest in Istanbul too? Just amused me that somehow "Fetterman's family is rich!" is somehow a valid attack when his opponent is loving Dr. Oz. And as for the sister selling him a house for a dollar thing, from what I understand, selling someone a house/car for a dollar is one of those bullshit "life hack" things that a lot of people claim cheats the system. I've only ever heard it used for cars, but the logic goes like this: when someone buys a car, they have to pay a sales tax on the transaction. If they say the car was a gift, the government will make them pay taxes on the market value of the car. But, if they say that they bought it for one dollar, then the government will only make them pay taxes on that one dollar, since that was the sales price! Surprising nobody, from what I can tell from looking it up, this doesn't actually work. It is not one weird trick to avoid paying sales tax because shockingly the government is aware that cars are worth more than one dollar, and will make you pay taxes on the market value of the car. Instead, it is giving the car as a gift that lets the recipient avoid sales taxes, though the gifter does have to pay a gift tax (though apparently if the market value of the car is low, under 16,000 dollars, the gifter is exempt from the gift tax).

Houses are more complicated, but from what I can tell it's a similar situation there, where the government would consider selling a house for a dollar as a "gift" of the market value of the house minus one dollar, and so the seller would have to pay a gift tax on that amount (or alternatively the estate can pay it as part of the federal estate tax later? This is where it gets different from cars and more complicated, since there's also the question of "Will the seller continue to live there post sale" and the like).

Anyway. I feel like Hannity is going on about this "selling him his house for a dollar" thing because as I said, a lot of people are under the impression that doing this lets you avoid sales taxes and stuff, so the implication is "Fetterman and his family are avoiding paying taxes and gaming the system!" even if Hannity isn't actually saiing that. But like I said, looking it up, selling a house for a dollar is essentially treated exactly the same as if it was gifted to someone for free anyway, so it kind of doesn't matter whether it was sold for a dollar or not, his sister would still have had to pay a gift tax (or he would have had to pay an estate tax) either way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Going after someone for being a born rich kid is pretty funny coming the group that worships Donald Trump

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009
So apparently one of Hannity's bombshells last night was...Biden telling his troubled son that he loves him and he needs to get some help?

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1579648866122883077?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

What, again???

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Isn't this the same group that tried to make an innocent hug and kiss seem incestuous?

Like, I know the cliche is that republicans love Trump because he's a big strong daddy that hates them just like their dads did, but like.... I'm starting to think it's true.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FFT posted:

What, again???

sorta. the texts and messages(least some of the transcripts) have been floating around for a year or so since hunters laptop got "found". i guess they ran out of material.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. the texts and messages(least some of the transcripts) have been floating around for a year or so since hunters laptop got "found". i guess they ran out of material.
No, the screenshot from that tweet is referencing a Daily Mail article from four loving years ago

Well, yes, obviously they've run out of material

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The whole smear is pretty god drat mask-off. Only way to love your kids is beat them black and blue with a belt to prove your manliness I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Beantown posted:

So apparently one of Hannity's bombshells last night was...Biden telling his troubled son that he loves him and he needs to get some help?

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1579648866122883077?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Like, I don't care how much of a "Conservative" you are, how does an attack like this land as anything other than ghoulish? Do these people really not have opinions of their own anymore?