Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Two days in, making steady progress until I read a book so boring it killed me. Fell on my rear end trying to punch Cuno, I deserve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I read a book so boring it killed me

i had to drop out of university to avoid the same fate irl

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

King Carnivore posted:

It’s one of the few ways you can actually “gently caress up” a run

I stumbled into one of the other ways on my first run... I got soft locked because I broke into the old gym behind the bookstore right around 2100, couldn't go back into the bookstore because it was closed, and couldn't go deeper into the DCA because I didn't have a flashlight

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if im gonna a totally non-gamer to play DE, is it worthwhile giving them a build that has a good chance of succeeding in the checks required to talk to the phasmid and if so, what would i want to tell them to invest in? (its been too long since ive played to remember exactly how that works)

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
While that part is very cool, I think you lose a huge part of the experience and pleasure by being railroaded by someone else. It is probably the most actual role playing game I can remember and the thing I (and others I know) most like about it. I think limit advice to:
- there are no wrong decisions and failing rolls is not a bad thing
- you can click on the plus button above your health/morale to heal yourself, even if you’re about to die (if you have items)
is enough.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Verviticus posted:

if im gonna a totally non-gamer to play DE, is it worthwhile giving them a build that has a good chance of succeeding in the checks required to talk to the phasmid and if so, what would i want to tell them to invest in? (its been too long since ive played to remember exactly how that works)

That check's determined way more by the modifiers than by your skill levels (I never leveled up the corresponding skill in my entire run and passed the check with 1), so I don't think that in particular would be a problem. Only build advice I'd suggest for a non-gamer would be giving them more than 1 in PSY and PHYS, since dying while grabbing a tie in the first few minutes of the game can be a funny anecdote for regular players but I'd imagine it would be extremely frustrating for someone who just wants to see what's the big hubbub and now has to sit through the entire opening monologue again.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Verviticus posted:

Deciding which skills to invest in is part of the fun, like Sticko says there's no objectively better build and it's made for postgame "holy poo poo, you can do that?" discussions

If they are stuck though, IIRC Inland Empire is the main check gating that and Electrochemistry gives you a bonus, I think you have a good chance of making the check if you start with the Sensitive build

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

my run with points only in physique and motorics and the ultraliberal quest continues to be absurd in the best way. Filled up my thought cabinet to get secondary PSY and INT points, but this has been ridiculous. (Ok, I did put one point into inland and esprit de corps but that’s it)

Highly recommended if anyone wants to try it.

I’ve never fully filled the thought cabinet before, and it rules.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Verviticus posted:

It's not that simple, but in general just have them go with at least 3 PSY anyway because first-time players deserve the necktie experience when they go downstairs

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just tell them two things:

1) keep calling

2) don’t wash off the pheromones

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ziasquinn posted:

just tell them two things:

1) keep calling

2) don’t wash off the pheromones

No, don’t call Abigail!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

successfully made it into the shipping container and uhhhh

failing the conceptualization check with the mega rich guy and trying to sell him on a RPG and him saying “yeah been there funded that the creators are failures” hits REAL DIFFERENT THIS WEEK

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
That guy's modeled after one of the IRL investors who just hosed them over so... yeah.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

That guy's modeled after one of the IRL investors who just hosed them over so... yeah.

yeeeeaah I remember seeing somewhere it was a “homage” to one of the two lmao

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sticko posted:

While that part is very cool, I think you lose a huge part of the experience and pleasure by being railroaded by someone else. It is probably the most actual role playing game I can remember and the thing I (and others I know) most like about it. I think limit advice to:
- there are no wrong decisions and failing rolls is not a bad thing
- you can click on the plus button above your health/morale to heal yourself, even if you’re about to die (if you have items)
is enough.

I'd add some very general advice around that the game gives you a ton of tasks early on, but just to chill and do whatever they want and that there isn't really any time pressure.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'd add some very general advice around that the game gives you a ton of tasks early on, but just to chill and do whatever they want and that there isn't really any time pressure.

One step at a time in the cold wind and snow. *mournful trumpets can be heard in the distance*

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Verviticus posted:

You don't get that from a check, you talk to them if you complete the proper quest. I hadn't completed the proper questline (Cryptozoologists) and there was a Target Number 20 Electrochemistry check in the way. Save scummed more than thirty times before I caught the game rolling double sixes and failing me anyway. The price for me cheating was saving after I drank some commodore red to boost my physical, which (A) didn't help, (B) was the only time in the game I drank, and (C) came up at the RCM officer tribunal.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mystic Mongol posted:

You don't get that from a check, you talk to them if you complete the proper quest. I hadn't completed the proper questline (Cryptozoologists) and there was a Target Number 20 Electrochemistry check in the way. Save scummed more than thirty times before I caught the game rolling double sixes and failing me anyway. The price for me cheating was saving after I drank some commodore red to boost my physical, which (A) didn't help, (B) was the only time in the game I drank, and (C) came up at the RCM officer tribunal.

Even if you got the pheromones to make it possible you do still need a white Inland Empire check to actually talk to them, and a red Electrochemistry check to even approach. But you can have pretty big bonuses to the checks as someone mentioned.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm going to spoiler tag all this for folks going through the game for the first time. It's all endgame stuff.

For me the overwhelming beauty of that scene came because I had, in my brain, completely given up on the cryptid, but spitefully went through the motions of hope anyway because I cared about the people involved.

The cryptid subplot was presented as an absurd waste of time busy work side quest. That's gonna be the best kind of quest in a game like this, so I was all in from the start, especially since Lena was so nice to me right from the start, when I had only the barest conception of the world (and an embarrassing need for money).

The best trick was that there was actually a really solid and conclusive ending to that quest. After running around, meeting and talking to everyone involved, you can eventually find out that Lena doesn't fully believe what she saw. It's so fundamental to her relationship though that she's really anxious. Everything becomes thematically clear: like communism, even if it never existed, what's really important is what they built together. The truth isn't important, love is.

I thought this was a really touching and meaningful message. I decided it wasn't important if the cryptid was materially real, because it was so obviously emotionally real. I had them spray me with pheromones and checked all the traps again and never bathed, not to find the cryptid that I couldn't really believe in, but because I believed in Lena's love.

And then that plot was over and it was time to deal with the murder at last. And it turned out the murder was about communism, women, lost ideals. A great finale to the game. A melancholy reflection on personal connections in a fallen world.

Except then, out of nowhere, the Insulindian Phasmid is right there. Honestly, my first reaction was to think I had finally lost it. There were even dialog options implying I had realized I finally lost it. But there was an option to ask Kim.

When Kim said he saw it too- that's the moment I broke down. I was not at all emotionally prepared.

I was completely blindsided by the beauty of the Phasmid's words. Just the fact of it changed everything. And it spoke of hope and humanity. It was one of the most moving things I ever experienced.

That all is to say, I would personally not tell new players to keep the pheromones on. If I had been told that I would be waiting for a payoff. The experience I had was as overwhelming as it was because I had convinced myself it wasn't going to happen. I got to experience the impossible.

Everyone will have a different experience, and I get the feeling of not wanting someone else to miss out, but this game has just gotta be experienced in its own terms.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Eiba posted:

I'm going to spoiler tag all this for folks going through the game for the first time. It's all endgame stuff.

For me the overwhelming beauty of that scene came because I had, in my brain, completely given up on the cryptid, but spitefully went through the motions of hope anyway because I cared about the people involved.

The cryptid subplot was presented as an absurd waste of time busy work side quest. That's gonna be the best kind of quest in a game like this, so I was all in from the start, especially since Lena was so nice to me right from the start, when I had only the barest conception of the world (and an embarrassing need for money).

The best trick was that there was actually a really solid and conclusive ending to that quest. After running around, meeting and talking to everyone involved, you can eventually find out that Lena doesn't fully believe what she saw. It's so fundamental to her relationship though that she's really anxious. Everything becomes thematically clear: like communism, even if it never existed, what's really important is what they built together. The truth isn't important, love is.

I thought this was a really touching and meaningful message. I decided it wasn't important if the cryptid was materially real, because it was so obviously emotionally real. I had them spray me with pheromones and checked all the traps again and never bathed, not to find the cryptid that I couldn't really believe in, but because I believed in Lena's love.

And then that plot was over and it was time to deal with the murder at last. And it turned out the murder was about communism, women, lost ideals. A great finale to the game. A melancholy reflection on personal connections in a fallen world.

Except then, out of nowhere, the Insulindian Phasmid is right there. Honestly, my first reaction was to think I had finally lost it. There were even dialog options implying I had realized I finally lost it. But there was an option to ask Kim.

When Kim said he saw it too- that's the moment I broke down. I was not at all emotionally prepared.

I was completely blindsided by the beauty of the Phasmid's words. Just the fact of it changed everything. And it spoke of hope and humanity. It was one of the most moving things I ever experienced.

That all is to say, I would personally not tell new players to keep the pheromones on. If I had been told that I would be waiting for a payoff. The experience I had was as overwhelming as it was because I had convinced myself it wasn't going to happen. I got to experience the impossible.

Everyone will have a different experience, and I get the feeling of not wanting someone else to miss out, but this game has just gotta be experienced in its own terms.

A+++++

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

While they're pissed off, from the tone of their messages they don't seem exactly shocked that they got screwed over. Sounds like they knew exactly the sort of people they were dealing with.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I've been through four times and I didn't even know there was an option to remove the pheremones... I was just humoring the old guy and didn't think it had any impact on the game. haha

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Doing all the tasks out of order is cool too; gonna have different reactions to things depending on what you’ve already seen and some checks will either be way easier or way harder.

Every little side quest and story is fun and worthwhile. I wish I was playing it again for the first time; I’m not really a “complete everything” kind of gamer so I missed out on so much my first time.

There will be a questline relating to a church; the payoff is worth all the running around.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Eiba posted:

Yeah, the most advice I would give to a new player who wants it would be "have an open mind" so your preconceived cynical notions about games don't cloud your judgment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I tell new players to set their physical stat to 1 and reach for the tie first thing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Eiba posted:

Well stated. The Phasmid is just such an utterly impossible miracle, perhaps a symbol for revolutionary hope in the wreckage of history. I think a lot of people sleep on the symbolism of it, but it coupled with the final dream represent a full swing from the depths of despair to hope for the future. It's beyond beautiful, and low-key some of the funniest lines in the game.

"She was middle-class, it doesn't take a three meter insect to tell you that."

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Eiba posted:

extremely agreed

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I also hope that the convention of "do whatever" eventually and somehow makes into the annals of game design, in terms of rpg character planning or however you may want to call it

of course that will require rethinking games having failure states as new avenues instead of penalties, but one may hope

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

the escape goat posted:

my run with points only in physique and motorics and the ultraliberal quest continues to be absurd in the best way. Filled up my thought cabinet to get secondary PSY and INT points, but this has been ridiculous. (Ok, I did put one point into inland and esprit de corps but that’s it)

Highly recommended if anyone wants to try it.

I’ve never fully filled the thought cabinet before, and it rules.

You're not an ultraliberal, Harry. Get the gently caress out of here. Don't be a... :)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Anyway, speaking of Insulindean plasmids, I want to talk about Insulinde.

Specifically the word, and where it comes from. In Disco Elysium's world an interesting mix of European languages is used, like Finnish, French, English and Dutch. It is from the latter they likely pulled the world Insulinde. As you may know, the Netherlands used to be a colonial empire, and the biggest, most important colony it possessed was Indonesia, then called the Dutch East Indies. A popular pet name used by the Dutch, though never seeing any official usage, was insulinde. The word deriving from Latin "insula" and "indiae", for Indian Islands. The word Indonesia is derived similarly, but from Greek rather than Latin.

From what I can find, English has a similar word, insulindia, which is also sometimes applied to the Dutch East Indies colonies, and/or the Portuguese East Indies colonies, and/or French colonial possessions in the region as well. Though since Disco Elysium uses specifically "Insulinde" as the name of its isola, and features other Dutch references as well, I think it likely the source is the Dutch usage.

The most famous Dutch usage is by Dutch writer Eduard Douwes Dekker, aka Multatuli, in his book Max Havelaar. Still seen as the most important Dutch literary work today, it is an indictment of Dutch colonialism in Indonesia written in the mid 19th century, informing Dutch citizens that their wealth originates from the suffering of the Indonesian people, and ends with a direct plea to king William II to intervene on behalf of his Indonesian subjects. It is in this last chapter that we find the passage:
"...’t prachtig rijk van INSULINDE dat zich daar slingert om den evenaar, als een gordel van smaragd..."
which translates to:
"... the beautiful land of INSULINDE which there swings itself around the equator, like an emerald girdle..."

The book is credited with majorly contributing to the eventual implementation of the Dutch Ethical Policy some 40 years after its publication. One of the main parts of this was providing education to at least some of the Indonesian population. Just citing directly from Wikipedia here:
"Indonesian novelist Pramoedya Ananta Toer argued that by triggering these educational reforms, Max Havelaar was in turn responsible for the nationalist movement that ended Dutch colonialism in Indonesia after 1945, and which was instrumental in the call for decolonization in Africa and elsewhere in the world. Thus, according to Pramoedya, Max Havelaar is "the book that killed colonialism""

The book has been translated in over 40 languages, including Indonesian finally in 1972, where as far as I can tell it remains popular.

Also the revolutionary leaders of the Indonesian independence movement featured a significant contingent of communists. Following independence the policy was to position itself in a non-aligned role in the Cold War. As the first president, Sukarno, started relying more on the communist party in the 60s, declaring his government based on "Nasakom", ie. nasionalisme, agama (religions) and komunisme. Guess what happened next? If you guessed US-backed military coup followed by the mass killings of at least half a million communists, leftists, suspected leftists and ethnic Chinese, you are correct, but as usual win no prizes. I can recommend the documentaries "The Act of Killing" and "The Look of Silence" if you want to know more about the mass killing part and also feel horrible.

Anyway, I think it likely that's where and possibly why they chose to use the name Insulinde, and now y'all might know some interesting poo poo about that.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 9, 2022

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

cool post, thank you!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Jakarta Method is a text that covers a lot of ground for the US's overseas anti-communism programs, mostly via sponsoring right-wing massacres.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After finishing an all skills max run half a year ago I'm concidering doing a fourth run through over the winter, the one combi I didn't try yet is drug/alcohol user and fascist. Is this a worthwhile character or is it as depressing and lovely as it feels like? Wondering if theres enough content there to make it worth while.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

wiegieman posted:

The Jakarta Method is a text that covers a lot of ground for the US's overseas anti-communism programs, mostly via sponsoring right-wing massacres.

Really really good book, I'll second this recommendation. The Audible version is good too

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Another big summary post, less rpgcodex-y this time:

https://literallysatanofficial.tumblr.com/post/697526666112745472/updates-corrections-and-citations

The one big new piece of information there is that someone found that Kurvitz is taking ZA/UM to court in November.

quote:

“[Kurvitz]’s statement against ZA/UM studio for information and document inspection”

The likely takeaway is that Robert Kurvitz intends to have documents inspected to prove that they were fraudulent, possibly documents that had him signing the IP over, which would line up with everything that Luiga has insinuated thus far. (Luiga confirming that the IP was stolen) This means that Luiga’s tweet about how we “might even get the sequel the way it was meant” but that it may “take a poo poo ton of time” and his followup interview statement about how he doesn’t think “ZA/UM Studio in its current form [will be] developing the sequel” are not contradictory, as they may seem at first, but expressing hope that the sequel may be returned to Kurvitz. On top of having to develop the game, they also have to fight for the rights to the property, hence it may take a “poo poo ton of time” to get a sequel.

But it actually seems likely that Kurvitz may regain ownership of the IP. As someone far smarter than myself suggested: “Robert [is] suing the Estonian parent company, in which he is a minority shareholder, for some kind of documents and information. This would hint that there is SOME kind of breach of contract there, that he’s entitled to some access, but they’re trying to cut him off and he’s taking them to court to force them to give access. This would usually be the first step before launching a larger legal attack. Collect info, plan your big case, then go in with guns blazing, so to say. I’m wagering bad faith contract, being tricked into signing off the IP. That would be the big game.”

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I do like "buy Disco Elysium to help fund shareholder Kurvitz's lawsuit against ZA/UM", now there's a big brain move.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Son of Rodney posted:

After finishing an all skills max run half a year ago I'm concidering doing a fourth run through over the winter, the one combi I didn't try yet is drug/alcohol user and fascist. Is this a worthwhile character or is it as depressing and lovely as it feels like? Wondering if theres enough content there to make it worth while.

the Fascist vision quest is worth it but after Day 4 it gets less and less rewarding. You burn through a lot of magnesium keeping your morale up when being a fascist AND drinking alcohol. Might be OK if you start with high psy and mot, then combine Fascism with Boiadeiro and the thought that removes the morale penalty for alcohol.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

[AUTHORITY - Challenging: Failure] So the communist scum wants to use the Law? Pssht.

[RHETORIC - Legendary: Success] To use the contradictions of capitalism against itself is perfectly valid. In fact, it can be highly effective!

[CONCEPTUALIZATION - Heroic: Success] Besides, think of the narrative. The ingenious underdog Bob Kurvitz, one of the creators of one of the most famous cultural efforts in Estonian history, against treacherous, rotten businessmen?

[SAVOIR FAIRE - Medium: Failure] Mmmmhm. Already feeling a spectacular documentary in Venice, about the valiant struggle for art...

[DRAMA - Heroic: Success] Sire, I wish we lived in another world, one where Estonian writers are the crème-de-la-crème of character studies... Doesn't mean we can't pretend, however.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

dead gay comedy forums posted:

[AUTHORITY - Challenging: Failure] So the communist scum wants to use the Law? Pssht.

[RHETORIC - Legendary: Success] To use the contradictions of capitalism against itself is perfectly valid. In fact, it can be highly effective!

[CONCEPTUALIZATION - Heroic: Success] Besides, think of the narrative. The ingenious underdog Bob Kurvitz, one of the creators of one of the most famous cultural efforts in Estonian history, against treacherous, rotten businessmen?

[SAVOIR FAIRE - Medium: Failure] Mmmmhm. Already feeling a spectacular documentary in Venice, about the valiant struggle for art...

[DRAMA - Heroic: Success] Sire, I wish we lived in another world, one where Estonian writers are the crème-de-la-crème of character studies... Doesn't mean we can't pretend, however.

ENCYCLOPEDIA - Contact Mike signed a contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
[ELECTROCHEMISTRY - Easy: Success] What the gently caress are you doing? You have beer to drink.