Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is, in fairness, quite dangerous for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Ludicrious. Might as well make mother's milk illegal. Oh wait, Nestle might even want that. OK, water then. OH WAIT.

Weird that even Joe loving Crime Bill Biden is finally doing something about maryjane a quarter of a century later, and now we have this.

Acceptable behaviour JFC. "Being home secretary" should be classed as unacceptable behaviour.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Someone's cat hearing about the goddamn tories again.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

josh04 posted:

the description for this one gets more outlandish every time it comes up

I mean it happened:
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1253261290732224517?s=20&t=zWz6FL33gb0gxsw9i-1gxg

It’s kind of wild that in that one thread alone she lays in to the victim over and over again, but that wasn’t enough so took to subtweeting about having landlords lynched.

She’s frankly an rear end in a top hat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes but have you considered that they might need to mass-disenfranchise a ton of people real quick in order to achieve their stated policy goal of perpetual power for simply not being the other guys?
https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/status/1578865948911489024

Stop Labour being or doing what? Who knows. Keith doesn't even know that. But they must be stopped, for they are not us.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oh they're doing the Trump 'save America' bit. I look forward to the next stage of claiming the election was fraudulent and storming parliament.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Very much enjoying all of the pikachu faced :decorum: journalists today who are somehow shocked at the fact that Nicola Sturgeon hates the tories and doesn't have a problem saying so on TV.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

josh04 posted:

the description for this one gets more outlandish every time it comes up
The whole post was written in such a deeply overwrought way that made me instantly doubt every claim. Like I guess the landlord claim is that by attacking a trans woman, Alice (a trans woman) has revealled herself to be transphobic? It's so tumblr it actually harms the legitimacy of the claims to the point that I'd need to see receipts to believe any of the claims (and having now seen one of the receipts, gently caress off with that).

It'd be like if I took it upon myself to 'gently remind' people that bustin keaton is so racist he can't tell two asian men apart, even when one is apparently one of his favourite writers. It's taking the least generous interpretation of what happened and spreading it around to defame the person's character. Like I'm not going to spread that because I'm not a oval office, but hopefully if reading that gave you a jolt of anger, it'll help you see how easily this happens when you allow that level of interpretation.

Contrapoints' did a whole video on cancel culture but it's like 2 hours long and briefly mentions this problem in a bit I can't be arsed to go look for (and ironically when I've posted it before it's just turned into a big discussion about Natalie being problematic rather than actually deal with the point raised).

But it talks about the subtle linguistic trick behind this shift - changing it from "they did this thing that looks bigoted" to "they are bigoted" which then allows the kind of guilt-by-association ad hominem the initial post attempted, i.e. "I don't know why you'd recommend trashfuture, a transphobic podcast."

It's a lovely thing to do and it just gives more ammo to culture warriors banging on about cancel culture, and it also diverts the discussion into this kind of bullshit instead of dealing with the actual point that was made. If someone has actually done something harmful, fine. But don't exaggerate harmful claims just because you don't personally enjoy something.

What happened? This makes no goddamn sense without the tweets Freja deleted and says nothing like what you're claiming. Alice made a joke quote tweeting an old post (now deleted presumably because it made her look bad) and calling her out for hypocrisy, and then didn't immediately grovel when freja started playing the victim in a thread which started with her accusing another person who's situation she didn't know of being a hypocrite.

Don't take the piss out of people on twitter if you're not willing to have people take the piss back.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What happened? This makes no goddamn sense without the tweets Freja deleted and says nothing like what you're claiming. Alice made a joke quote tweeting an old post (now deleted presumably because it made her look bad) and calling her out for hypocrisy, and then didn't immediately grovel when freja started playing the victim in a thread which started with her accusing another person who's situation she didn't know of being a hypocrite.

Don't take the piss out of people on twitter if you're not willing to have people take the piss back.

Freyja said an artist Alice likes wasn't really punk
Then the argument happened.

AFaik You can still read stuff it's just cause Freyja has Alice blocked her QT don't work so you have to click the link.

https://twitter.com/BathysphereHat/status/1133019837893156864

Alice is just poo poo tho

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Freja called someone a sell out. Alice calls her a hyprocrite for renting out a room (thus being a landlord) and making someone homeless. Ignoring the fact they chucked this person out because they tried to rape them.

Alice is a twitter poisoned shithead. Who makes jokes about people with autism and regards asexuals as "insufferable". Normally I'm pretty forgiving for the occasional bad joke/take on twitter, its easy for even good people to slip up when they are posting like 100 posts a day. But whenever anyone lays receipts at her feet her response is either to attack them with irony poisoned joke replies or to call them 'transphobic/islamophobic'

She is NOT a good person and you shouldn't defend her.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So this is a couple of terminally-online idiots - one or both of whom may be awful people - having a slapfight online?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

While I’m in favour of decriminalising cannabis (and probably most psychedelics and entactogens, for that matter), I hope there is room in progressive circles to discuss and imagine what different outcomes for decriminalised recreational cannabis use might look like; our society’s relationship with alcohol and tobacco is for the most part hosed up, so I don’t necessarily think giving cannabis the same status as those is the best we should hope for (even if it would be an improvement on where we are today).

Right now alcohol* is the only drug that you might have to explain, if only briefly, why you don’t use it. I think it’d probably be a net bad thing socially to have society treat even more drugs this way, with the default expectation that a person is a user.

*caffeine too, and maybe that’s a substance that is as close to a free lunch as we can get.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alice is sort of a minor left media celebrity I guess, she's on a bunch of podcasts and I think used to be a journalist.

Halisnacks posted:

While I’m in favour of decriminalising cannabis (and probably most psychedelics and entactogens, for that matter), I hope there is room in progressive circles to discuss and imagine what different outcomes for decriminalised recreational cannabis use might look like; our society’s relationship with alcohol and tobacco is for the most part hosed up, so I don’t necessarily think giving cannabis the same status as those is the best we should hope for (even if it would be an improvement on where we are today).

Right now alcohol* is the only drug that you might have to explain, if only briefly, why you don’t use it. I think it’d probably be a net bad thing socially to have society treat even more drugs this way, with the default expectation that a person is a user.

*caffeine too, and maybe that’s a substance that is as close to a free lunch as we can get.

I mean I can't say my lack of drinking has ever really caused me any issues, everyone else seems to drink constantly and it's gross but people do lots of gross things so *shrug*

Plus historically this does seem to be just... how humans interact with drugs in general? Absent what I would consider to be worse religious strictures I don't think you can really stop people drinking. The desire to drink has driven a lot of human effort. No idea how you get people en masse to stop doing that other than the fully automated communism thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 9, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“All they stabbed for”

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

kingturnip posted:

So this is a couple of terminally-online idiots - one or both of whom may be awful people - having a slapfight online?

No it's an rear end in a top hat attacking someone and people leaping to defend her because they like her podcasts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

We come across as a proper nanny state sometimes.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I can't say my lack of drinking has ever really caused me any issues, everyone else seems to drink constantly and it's gross but people do lots of gross things so *shrug*

Plus historically this does seem to be just... how humans interact with drugs in general? Absent what I would consider to be worse religious strictures I don't think you can really stop people drinking. The desire to drink has driven a lot of human effort. No idea how you get people en masse to stop doing that other than the fully automated communism thing.

I definitely don’t think alcohol should be scheduled or the ability to purchase it curtailed. I actually don’t think there is much that the state should do, though there could be merit in restricting companies’ abilities to market (and glorify) it.

My point is that with cannabis and other drugs, we have the opportunity to be more thoughtful about the way their (potential) future legal use plays out in society once we hit that juncture. If we land on the facile “let’s just treat it like we treat alcohol!”, that would be lazy, unimaginative, and an opportunity squandered IMO.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

She is NOT a good person and you shouldn't defend her.
I'm not defending her, nor am I saying she's a good person. But I'm not about to write off everything she says because someone posts a questionable interpretation of a twitter interaction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess, though if the problem with how people treat alcohol is mostly a captialism problem (or at least the parts of it you can do anything about are capitalism problems) then treating it like alcohol makes sense, in that it is probably the best you can get in society at the moment and also it's probably not very good objectively.

I suppose I also just don't really have a vision of what a "good" relationship with drugs is other than just not wanting to use them most of the time? And I don't know how you produce that desire and also it doesn't seem consistent with what a lot of other people would consider a good relationship with them to be.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 9, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

“All they stabbed for”

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1579127338885074944?t=8fvInzyEI6sQbUkxMyU7Yg

Double down Nic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am curious what it does mean if not individuals or tory supporters, unless there is an immanent supernatural force of toryism I don't know what else you could direct it at.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I guess, though if the problem with how people treat alcohol is mostly a captialism problem (or at least the parts of it you can do anything about are capitalism problems) then treating it like alcohol makes sense, in that it is probably the best you can get in society at the moment and also it's probably not very good objectively.

I suppose I also just don't really have a vision of what a "good" relationship with drugs is other than just not wanting to use them most of the time? And I don't know how you produce that desire and also it doesn't seem consistent with what a lot of other people would consider a good relationship with them to be.

Low-hanging fruit: treat it more like tobacco than alcohol. A non-zero amount of the social desire to use alcohol is because it is advertised (if this didn’t increase demand, purveyors would not invest in marketing).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Based

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mean Scottish woman said something bad about are Liz.
Better fill the next seven pages on how mean she is.
- UK Media for next few days.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I am curious what it does mean if not individuals or tory supporters, unless there is an immanent supernatural force of toryism I don't know what else you could direct it at.

She hates Tories as a collective. It's like in high school where all the cool kids would be dicks in their clique but if you met one in town they'd be perfectly polite.

It's a funny snowflake reaction to what's an extremely common opinion in most of Scotland and I'd assume quite a lot of England & Wales.

Tory policy is far more divisive than being mean to Tories

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
There’s definitely a moral difference between Tory MPs, Tory members, and Tory voters who are not also in the first two groups; as a political leader it’s probably wise not to alienate literally everyone in that last group.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Halisnacks posted:

There’s definitely a moral difference between Tory MPs, Tory members, and Tory voters who are not also in the first two groups; as a political leader it’s probably wise not to alienate literally everyone in that last group.

I don't think Nicola Sturgeon has to worry too much about alienating Tory voters.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The whole post was written in such a deeply overwrought way that made me instantly doubt every claim. Like I guess the landlord claim is that by attacking a trans woman, Alice (a trans woman) has revealled herself to be transphobic? It's so tumblr it actually harms the legitimacy of the claims to the point that I'd need to see receipts to believe any of the claims (and having now seen one of the receipts, gently caress off with that).

It'd be like if I took it upon myself to 'gently remind' people that bustin keaton is so racist he can't tell two asian men apart, even when one is apparently one of his favourite writers. It's taking the least generous interpretation of what happened and spreading it around to defame the person's character. Like I'm not going to spread that because I'm not a oval office, but hopefully if reading that gave you a jolt of anger, it'll help you see how easily this happens when you allow that level of interpretation.

Contrapoints' did a whole video on cancel culture but it's like 2 hours long and briefly mentions this problem in a bit I can't be arsed to go look for (and ironically when I've posted it before it's just turned into a big discussion about Natalie being problematic rather than actually deal with the point raised).

But it talks about the subtle linguistic trick behind this shift - changing it from "they did this thing that looks bigoted" to "they are bigoted" which then allows the kind of guilt-by-association ad hominem the initial post attempted, i.e. "I don't know why you'd recommend trashfuture, a transphobic podcast."

It's a lovely thing to do and it just gives more ammo to culture warriors banging on about cancel culture, and it also diverts the discussion into this kind of bullshit instead of dealing with the actual point that was made. If someone has actually done something harmful, fine. But don't exaggerate harmful claims just because you don't personally enjoy something.

Very bizarre response to someone posting the proof you asked for, when you clearly couldn’t be arsed to click through the links. All the tweets are still there. Someone else has also posted the corrective rape tweet, but it seems you’ve decided what I posted was overwrought lmao.

It seems you’ve decided the point was that Trashfuture is a transphobic podcast, which nobody in here has even remotely claimed. In fact my first post was justI saying I skip over their content these days because I think one of them is a bad person and I don’t care for some of the other hosts.

I’m sorry I don’t like the podcast you like, it’s not personal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bustin keaton posted:

I’m sorry I don’t like the podcast you like, it’s not personal.
You're entitled to not like a podcast ffs, just don't lie about the host and pretend like nothing they say can ever be relevant. That was the point of your reply to me.

E: also the tweet that this all refers to was a joke from Alice which people are taking way, way too seriously which I feel is a relevant point to raise again.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 9, 2022

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Even if you’re not specifically courting their vote it’s probably not good to suggest a voting bloc is irredeemable, see Clinton’s “basket of deplorables” quip. You can detest your direct political opponents without suggesting you detest the people who support them.

The project of devising Tory ideology and policy and executing it while in government is morally different to voting Tory once every five years, and it’s a difference in kind, not just degree.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
You’re yet to actually point out what was a lie, even after a page of people replying with tweets, screenshots, summaries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One of the few commonalities between Hillary and Nicola is that people will just make poo poo up about what she said anyway. I heard she wants to turn all the women into men and all the men into frogs, that's what I heard.

May as well just speak your mind if people are going to do that.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the obvious public problems with alcohol that created the temperance movement can definitely be tied to industrial capitalism. There were drunks in classical antiquity, but to get the scale of public misery that Engels wrote about in Manchester you need cheap distilled spirits and lives devoid of meaning, and industrial capitalism, urbanization, and the Coffey still were happy to provide both.

You can see similar with a lot of other drugs. The East Midlands has used opium medicinally and recreationally since the neolithic, and despite moralizing by everyone from bishops to Cromwell to Victorian home secretaries it was never anywhere near the scale of a social problem as cheap refined heroin from post-Revolution Iran headed to marginalized communities in post-Thatcher Britain.

You can draw a near identical timeline for coca and Latin America and the crack epidemic in the US (and the even more damaging attendant moral panic).

The only thing that all of these threads have taught us is that you can make something Class AAA** Super Prohibited and it just increases the prison population and scares people away from engaging with health and social services.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Halisnacks posted:

Even if you’re not specifically courting their vote it’s probably not good to suggest a voting bloc is irredeemable, see Clinton’s “basket of deplorables” quip. You can detest your direct political opponents without suggesting you detest the people who support them.

The project of devising Tory ideology and policy and executing it while in government is morally different to voting Tory once every five years, and it’s a difference in kind, not just degree.

I don't really think she's got much to lose by ostracising tory voters in Scotland because they already despise her, and she's got more to lose with her actual voters by backing down from the idea she detests tories because most of her voters do, too, along with labour voters and others. People might waver on whether they want to vote SNP and this kind of headline reminds them: that's right, because gently caress the tories. The tories are far in the minority in Scotland and she can do without all of them, i don't think there are many snp/tory fencesitters anyway more like snp/labour, so it's not really comparable to Clinton where she actually needed to trick votes from the people she was casually condemning.

The english media can kick up a storm about this and english tories or fencesitters can be appalled but they can't really hurt her.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 9, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

One of the few commonalities between Hillary and Nicola is that people will just make poo poo up about what she said anyway. I heard she wants to turn all the women into men and all the men into frogs, that's what I heard.

May as well just speak your mind if people are going to do that.

I think the obvious public problems with alcohol that created the temperance movement can definitely be tied to industrial capitalism. There were drunks in classical antiquity, but to get the scale of public misery that Engels wrote about in Manchester you need cheap distilled spirits and lives devoid of meaning, and industrial capitalism, urbanization, and the Coffey still were happy to provide both.

You can see similar with a lot of other drugs. The East Midlands has used opium medicinally and recreationally since the neolithic, and despite moralizing by everyone from bishops to Cromwell to Victorian home secretaries it was never anywhere near the scale of a social problem as cheap refined heroin from post-Revolution Iran headed to marginalized communities in post-Thatcher Britain.

You can draw a near identical timeline for coca and Latin America and the crack epidemic in the US (and the even more damaging attendant moral panic).

The only thing that all of these threads have taught us is that you can make something Class AAA** Super Prohibited and it just increases the prison population and scares people away from engaging with health and social services.

:hai:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's funnier because Labour spent yesterday complaining about divisive rhetoric from the SNP against them. Now that's totally dropped from the news because Nicola called all the tories cunts.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You're entitled to not like a podcast ffs, just don't lie about the host and pretend like nothing they say can ever be relevant. That was the point of your reply to me.

E: also the tweet that this all refers to was a joke from Alice which people are taking way, way too seriously which I feel is a relevant point to raise again.

And you claim you are not defending her???

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bustin keaton posted:

You’re yet to actually point out what was a lie, even after a page of people replying with tweets, screenshots, summaries.
I am not responding to you because you have given absolutely no sign that you're willing to read a drat thing anyone says in good faith.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

roomtone posted:

The tories are far in the minority in Scotland and she can do without all of them, i don't think there are many snp/tory fencesitters anyway more like snp/labour, so it's not really comparable to Clinton where she actually needed to trick votes from the people she was casually condemning.

Clinton’s comment was not only bad for the role it played in Trump’s victory - it was bad in principle. It was quite rightly a scandal and the coverage of it only seemed disproportionate in relation to the tyre fire of Trump’s candidacy. Our political leaders should not think, much less declare, that a portion of the electorate is either deplorable or detestable.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

There's a linguistic aspect too. "Labour" is always a vague uncountable concept - "I hate Labour" or "Labour will bankrupt the country" doesn't directly refer to individuals, and is thus more readily assigned to the party leadership I think. Whereas "Tories" is countable and refers to specific people - so you end up debating which ones. Cabinet, MPs, party members, voters, small-c conservatives. Makes it easier to feign outrage whenever someone says they hate Tories.

--

Mostly unrelated, I came across articles in the Dutch and UK news with a common theme: both Schiphol security personnel and British teaching assistants are leaving those jobs to be better paid at supermarkets, leading to much confused gnashing of teeth from employers.

Interesting that supermarkets have become the kind of backstop employer, chosen over putting up with sticky toddler tantrums in your face, or working in schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Avizandum is probably an aggro dumbass and I've never listened to Trashfuture. It's just funny that this particular piece of Internet lore hinges entirely on one party unquestionably being The Good Landlord.