Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I went hard on the Servants my first game with assassinations, and let's just say combined with rapid asteroid settlements before inner planet settlements, a mistake was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Vengarr posted:

Don't take your foot off their neck, they get super loving annoying once they can begin phoning the ETs.

Yeah I don't plan to. They've finally gotten enough influence income that they can afford to hire a new councillor every month if they need to so killing all their agents is probably not worth making the aliens mad. Instead I'm just focusing on taking out any councillors with high espionage scores + sabotaging hydra language research whenever it hits 50%.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dire Lemming posted:

Yeah I don't plan to. They've finally gotten enough influence income that they can afford to hire a new councillor every month if they need to so killing all their agents is probably not worth making the aliens mad. Instead I'm just focusing on taking out any councillors with high espionage scores + sabotaging hydra language research whenever it hits 50%.

What happens if you kill a factions’ last councilor? I assume they get a free replacement?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Vengarr posted:

What happens if you kill a factions’ last councilor? I assume they get a free replacement?

I don't know about a free one but all factions have some base influence income from global popularity so I assume they'd eventually be able to hire a new one.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Vengarr posted:

Nah they just sit on 0 councillors until they can afford one. It should never take them more than a month to get at least one back but they don't get a free one.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
My game is going weirdly well so far - I locked down China, North Korea, Kazakhstan and Singapore pretty early and was mostly left alone to do so. Mostly because the AI was fighting tooth and nail over the US and Europe - even now, every major nation has control points mixed between 3 factions with wars randomly starting and stopping as different factions get into executive power. Meanwhile I'm just chilling in Asia, building my boost and MC and now have every good site on Mars claimed because I'm the only one with any boost at all on Earth.

Can't wait for the aliens to kick my rear end.

I do love how different everyone's games seem to be going, it gives the game an emergent quality that is going to make it interesting long term I think.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

To be fair in my game the aliens just decided to land a UFO in 2034 even though the Servants still haven't researched the hydra language and my MC usage is only 92 (with Strategic Deception, I was a bit late getting it since I didn't know it was locked behind Arrival Security). They're leaving my stations alone mostly for now... but I haven't had an accurate read on my alien threat in months and I'm really not sure what's causing it to spike. What seemed to set them off was using the USA to take Japan, but the Protectorate only had 2 control points there. So even strangling the servants doesn't seem to delay the invasion indefinitely.

It's a bit of a strange game, Japan has Invasion-tech armies, even ahead of the USA because I guess I wasn't prioritizing military heavy enough there. Still, the USA has 6x Robotics age armies and the Alien Nation is for now a single province in Africa and hasn't done anything in a few months other than deploy some agents. I have some +military boosts as well, on councilors and stations, but I admit I'm a bit lost on midgame ship design. I have Ships of the Line, Advanced Pulsar Drives, and Green Lasers, and I'm not quite sure where to focus my techs/builds from here. Any advice on general midgame building? All of the guides and let's plays really only seem to be covering the early game stuff, like shooting down your first ship.

Plasma cannons are nice because they ignore PD, and almost never miss. But they do way less damage than coils, which are on the path to plasma
Arc and phase lasers you give better PD that fires more often
The adamantoid armor is really good
Tier 3 habs really really help with the logistics of building a navy
Enough marines can let you take over any hab without having to use a councilor. There are 3 tiers of marine utility modules. If someone else took a good site on Mars, it's yours now!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I updated to the validation release and while it fixed a few problems I was having including the random pauses, I think it broke the AI. Since I updated I haven't been attacked in space. They're just going back and forth between Earth and an asteroid with a big murderball that could easily crush me but aren't doing anything other than burning fuel. In the other two runs I had, they were constantly raiding me with escalating forces that eventually wore me down, but they seem pretty nonresponsive now.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SettingSun posted:

Hostile Takeover is just too good to not get some adjustments. I have been absolutely feasting on the other faction's orgs.

I hope the nerf isn't too bad. It's the only way I can get basic ADM orgs most of the time because of the way the market works.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I updated to the validation release and while it fixed a few problems I was having including the random pauses, I think it broke the AI. Since I updated I haven't been attacked in space. They're just going back and forth between Earth and an asteroid with a big murderball that could easily crush me but aren't doing anything other than burning fuel. In the other two runs I had, they were constantly raiding me with escalating forces that eventually wore me down, but they seem pretty nonresponsive now.

Sounds like something went bad on your save unfortunately, they're still doing the usual stuff in my current game that I just updated to this latest save.

No Pants posted:

I hope the nerf isn't too bad. It's the only way I can get basic ADM orgs most of the time because of the way the market works.

I've played the latest version a bit, didn't change much on my odds, but I was using 25 admin councilors to nab them from detained targets (which was the process I was doing beforehand anyway).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Is it just me or is Administration *by far* the best stat to level up on a councelor? I had a tycoon that was near useless from the start of the game, but I slapped some good orgs and traits on her and now she's a powerhouse, none of my other agents can compete with her. She went from passing her turn half the time to constantly being in demand. (She also picked up the IMF for that extra admin)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

esquilax posted:

There's one stat missing that makes a difference sometimes. The Protium Converter Torch needs 500 terawatts per engine. Which means that with the most efficient reactor, it will put out 500 GW of waste heat and you need 50,000 tons of radiators per engine to offset that. This makes the entire ship cost about 10x more in terms of minerals and water in order to get one that's useful - it's basically for a vanity ship only.

You can actually sort of figure that stat out by remembering that because Terra Invicta is hard-SF, your engine's power requirement is going to scale to the square of your engine's exhaust velocity times its thrust. If your engine shoots out exhaust at half the speed of light, that's gonna eat a lot of power. There are a few exceptions - Orions and chemical rockets have no power requirements - but in general the problem is that if your engine shoots poo poo out at too high a speed, it'll inherently eat into your ship's efficiency by requiring a big reactor.

The Daedalus torch is, IMO, probably the best general-purpose late/endgame engine, because it has sufficient raw thrust to be stupid if you use the exotics-enhanced terawatt fusion reactors but it has very high efficiency and a well-balanced exhaust velocity - it's high enough that your ship will have good delta-V with relatively low fuel mass but low enough that it isn't taking up absurd amounts of reactor power that means an absurdly heavy reactor system.

esquilax posted:

Plasma cannons are nice because they ignore PD, and almost never miss. But they do way less damage than coils, which are on the path to plasma
Arc and phase lasers you give better PD that fires more often
The adamantoid armor is really good
Tier 3 habs really really help with the logistics of building a navy
Enough marines can let you take over any hab without having to use a councilor. There are 3 tiers of marine utility modules. If someone else took a good site on Mars, it's yours now!

Adamantoid armor is probably the actual best armor, because the two alien-derived armors cost valuable exotics but don't give you much. Their exotics cost needs to either go down a literal order of magnitude or two or they need to be made much, much better - I wouldn't mind the current cost per ton if they were actually say, 4 times better than adamantoid armor.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
On the one hand needing space Station defences makes me a bit sad as my current game has been predicated on them.

On the other hand a 1.5K strength space station handily held off a 5K fleet because for some reason the aliens shot all their missiles then offered to withdraw. Some weird calculation must be going on in the AI which says they are a 5K fleet until they shoot all their missiles and now they aren't able to destroy the station.

While fighting the aliens is a lot of fun this game is screaming for an Expanse mod which, if that existed, I would play it to death.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Is it just me or is Administration *by far* the best stat to level up on a councelor? I had a tycoon that was near useless from the start of the game, but I slapped some good orgs and traits on her and now she's a powerhouse, none of my other agents can compete with her. She went from passing her turn half the time to constantly being in demand. (She also picked up the IMF for that extra admin)

It is and I think even the AI knows this- I see a lot of AI councilors with max admin and low-mid everything else.

It is of course better to stack admin orgs, if you can find them, and spend the XP on something more directly relevant, but admin orgs can be pretty hard to come by.

Something I was considering earlier was, if you could have different types of org be capped by different stats. So espionage for the intel groups, science for research companies, command for special forces, etc. Orgs would need to be more expensive cap-wise to make it work, obviously.

e: Though of course then you have the problem that if you're good at thing A most of what you can equip is orgs that make you better at A, which... is a bit limiting, though it would make the councilor archetypes more important.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 9, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

yeah. Admin adds to your CP cap and pending org availability lets you add to your other stats just as much as you added to Admin. It also makes some key missions harder for hostile factions to complete (against your whole faction, not just the councilor) and provides +GDP when you do Advise missions which is very powerful in the long term. All your councilors should be 25 admin pretty much as fast as you can arrange it, dipping into primary stats only when you can't get an org for that stat.

and not forgetting having lots of orgs lets you broaden your mission availability as far as you want which is very valuable on certain councilor types.

I like orgs but you have to juggle too many of them with 6x15 slots IMO.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Something I was considering earlier was, if you could have different types of org be capped by different stats. So espionage for the intel groups, science for research companies, command for special forces, etc. Orgs would need to be more expensive cap-wise to make it work, obviously.

e: Though of course then you have the problem that if you're good at thing A most of what you can equip is orgs that make you better at A, which... is a bit limiting, though it would make the councilor archetypes more important.
Scale it off the base stat only rather than the boosted stat, maybe. Then you could demote Admin to a secondary stat like Science rather than being the God Stat.

or maybe dump XP Augments for the most part and just have Orgs.

Reportedly what's being considered at the moment is changing hard stat caps by councilor type. And I guess that would help but the issue with hard caps is they don't fix design/balance problems just obfuscate them.

I think rebalancing orgs so you have fewer of them but they're more powerful in general would be nice. That would also limit gaining missions from orgs a bit more than they are currently.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 9, 2022

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

MJ12 posted:

You can actually sort of figure that stat out by remembering that because Terra Invicta is hard-SF, your engine's power requirement is going to scale to the square of your engine's exhaust velocity times its thrust. If your engine shoots out exhaust at half the speed of light, that's gonna eat a lot of power. There are a few exceptions - Orions and chemical rockets have no power requirements - but in general the problem is that if your engine shoots poo poo out at too high a speed, it'll inherently eat into your ship's efficiency by requiring a big reactor.

The Daedalus torch is, IMO, probably the best general-purpose late/endgame engine, because it has sufficient raw thrust to be stupid if you use the exotics-enhanced terawatt fusion reactors but it has very high efficiency and a well-balanced exhaust velocity - it's high enough that your ship will have good delta-V with relatively low fuel mass but low enough that it isn't taking up absurd amounts of reactor power that means an absurdly heavy reactor system.

Adamantoid armor is probably the actual best armor, because the two alien-derived armors cost valuable exotics but don't give you much. Their exotics cost needs to either go down a literal order of magnitude or two or they need to be made much, much better - I wouldn't mind the current cost per ton if they were actually say, 4 times better than adamantoid armor.

Oh that's interesting about the power requirements.

Yeah I unlocked a bunch of the others and the Daedalus does seem to be the best actually usable engine.

The different reactor types have different efficiency too, in terms of how that power requirement gets translated to waste heat. The Firefly torch and Icarus torch both also use less efficient reactor types - a 99.9% efficiency vs 99.5% means 5x the amount of waste heat and radiators needed.

Antimatter Advanced Plasma is also very usable if you need a lot of thrust and only need something with 1k-2k kps, and has easier research requirements.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
If Organisation refresh is monthly, how long is Agent refresh?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I saw this mentioned in a youtube comment. You can change the view in the ship designer to give you a list view to more easily compare parts by right clicking the category. Hovering over the categories tells you this but I would have never known.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kitchner posted:

On the other hand a 1.5K strength space station handily held off a 5K fleet because for some reason the aliens shot all their missiles then offered to withdraw. Some weird calculation must be going on in the AI which says they are a 5K fleet until they shoot all their missiles and now they aren't able to destroy the station.

Yeah, missile attack value is proportional to their remaining ammo. If they have no ammo they have no value.

This also works for the AI's judgements about your fleets. So if you have all missile ships and you expend the ammo in a fight against one alien fleet, any other idle fleets that can reach you may decide to engage because they correctly see that your fleet is weak and ineffective.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Klyith posted:

Yeah, missile attack value is proportional to their remaining ammo. If they have no ammo they have no value.

This also works for the AI's judgements about your fleets. So if you have all missile ships and you expend the ammo in a fight against one alien fleet, any other idle fleets that can reach you may decide to engage because they correctly see that your fleet is weak and ineffective.

I think that makes sense after a battle (though not sure how the aliens would know the exact torpedo count left in my ships) but during the battle just because all your missile have been fired doesn't mean you should end the battle. Like, they should at least wait to see if they hit!

In other news in my playthrough I had the US. Commonwealth, and EU under my control. The aliens declared war on someone and it dragged the US in, so I launched all my armies I had been building up and headed straight for the alien capital. Just before I could take it they conquered Russia or China, didn't see which, nuked my armies, and then the Servants declared victory.

I was like "Cool, I'll still battle on, the aliens will collapse under unrest soon and my fleet is still active". Nope, the US, EU, and Commonwealth all apparently surrendered immediately, and I have 0% chances to do anything to the new world order country.

Game over I guess?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Org focus changes as you progress through the game

Early game: +ADM, +Boost, +Research/t, +Influence/t, +Ops/t
Entering Mid game: -ADM as your councilors reach "natural" 25 ADM with each tier of :psylon: implants, -Boost as it becomes irrelevant once you've breached the space economy, +MC until you clutter Mercury, +Mission granting orgs
Beyond Mid: Ditch everything you can spare for +% Space Mining Output

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

any tips for building up miltech level?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah boost orgs are deceptively good in the early game. 1 boost a month is the same as 12 a year and that’s more than almost all nations can get you

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is reactor power output only used for the engine, not to recharge the batteries or anything else?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Does anyone know how much the other factions fight the aliens? Servants obviously not at all, protectorate probably only defends their territories, and hf and resistance passionately, but what about academy and exodus? Do they try to shoot down alien ships that come to earth orbit or are only hf and resistance AI going to do that?

On a related note, I’m kinda interested in doing a protectorate game at some point, but just wondering – can you also shoot aliens as protectorate? Do you get a game over or something if you do?

EDIT:

Also, I'm wondering to what extent you can "befriend" other factions. I'm considering doing a resistance playthrough next, and I'm wondering if in the midgame I should gift habs to the hf that aren't prime real estate, so that we can collectively increase our capabilities without hopefully provoking the aliens as much.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Keisari posted:

Does anyone know how much the other factions fight the aliens? Servants obviously not at all, protectorate probably only defends their territories, and hf and resistance passionately, but what about academy and exodus? Do they try to shoot down alien ships that come to earth orbit or are only hf and resistance AI going to do that?

On a related note, I’m kinda interested in doing a protectorate game at some point, but just wondering – can you also shoot aliens as protectorate? Do you get a game over or something if you do?

EDIT:

Also, I'm wondering to what extent you can "befriend" other factions. I'm considering doing a resistance playthrough next, and I'm wondering if in the midgame I should gift habs to the hf that aren't prime real estate, so that we can collectively increase our capabilities without hopefully provoking the aliens as much.

I know in Perun's youtube playthrough as Humanity First, which I watched to learn a lot of game mechanics, he gifts a few suboptimal habs to the Resistance to help them bulk up, so yes it seems like it could be worth it especially if you want to swap out that MC for better spots.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Initiative seems to do literally nothing about all the xenoforming in their territory

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Miltech is ridiculously expensive, IMHO. It's something like 60 IP for an army and 3000 IP for one point of miltech.

I read somewhere to keep at least 20% miltech funding to unlock missile test events (which have an option to gain .1 miltech), so I did that in my game but I never got one. All I got was an anti-satellite weapon test event that let me create a bunch of orbital debris and world hatred for miltech, but I took it anyways because no way am I paying 3000 IP for one point.

My only practical suggestion would probably be to have one nation that concentrates on military and all the others do other stuff, because the only thing more ridiculous than paying for miltech is paying for it multiple times in different nations.

BattleMaster posted:

Is reactor power output only used for the engine, not to recharge the batteries or anything else?

Batteries do recharge in combat (slowly, but I've seen them) so I assume it's drawing reactor power. Reactors seem to autosize for the engine needs, though, so I'm guessing if you're at full thrust your available power for charging the batteries is zero. Or maybe not and it also includes a margin for battery charging that I just never bothered measuring.

OctaMurk posted:

Initiative seems to do literally nothing about all the xenoforming in their territory

Are you really surprised at the Initiative being irresponsible?

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 9, 2022

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Stairmaster posted:

Get orgs and councilors which boost IP directed to Military, build Material Labs in interface orbit of Earth, and also the Military Science labs which give up to .3 boost in effective Miltech.
Even then, the Alien ground forces will so outclass you that you need to bring 2-3 armies for every one of theirs. And probably some canned sunshine/orbital bombardment.

e: are there any projects/techs/etc that boost IP for Space Defenses? 50 IP to protect a single region is asssssss.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Vengarr posted:

Get orgs and councilors which boost IP directed to Military, build Material Labs in interface orbit of Earth, and also the Military Science labs which give up to .3 boost in effective Miltech.
Even then, the Alien ground forces will so outclass you that you need to bring 2-3 armies for every one of theirs. And probably some canned sunshine/orbital bombardment.

Oh, one thing I did think of is unrest. If there's any unrest in a nation your miltech gains from military are reduced proportional to your democracy score (so no reduction at 10 democracy, the biggest reduction at 0 democracy). This is proportional to the unrest reduction military spending gives you, so it can be thought of as diverting the money from better equipment to suppression. But basically either do your military spending in a country with a 0 base unrest level or do it in one that's very democratic.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Bremen posted:

Miltech is ridiculously expensive, IMHO. It's something like 60 IP for an army and 3000 IP for one point of miltech.

I read somewhere to keep at least 20% miltech funding to unlock missile test events (which have an option to gain .1 miltech), so I did that in my game but I never got one. All I got was an anti-satellite weapon test event that let me create a bunch of orbital debris and world hatred for miltech, but I took it anyways because no way am I paying 3000 IP for one point.

My only practical suggestion would probably be to have one nation that concentrates on military and all the others do other stuff, because the only thing more ridiculous than paying for miltech is paying for it multiple times in different nations.

Batteries do recharge in combat (slowly, but I've seen them) so I assume it's drawing reactor power. Reactors seem to autosize for the engine needs, though, so I'm guessing if you're at full thrust your available power for charging the batteries is zero. Or maybe not and it also includes a margin for battery charging that I just never bothered measuring.

Are you really surprised at the Initiative being irresponsible?
You need at least 20% Military investment AND a Rival for the missile test event to fire

Current day (2042) US that started at 60% Military investment from 2022-2032 then throttled down to 21% Military

we got hovertanks
They have fought off 3 alien land invasions without the use of nukes :911:

Having a dedicated military nation is highly recommended because you can spread freedom use them to annex for other nations you control via temporary alliances

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Lol who said that Layered Defense Arrays suck? I just had a pair destroy a Mothership :lol:

AND the supporting fleet. Absolutely loving *destroyed*. The Ayyys can dodge railguns no problem, but coilguns shoot at a high enough velocity that they have a much harder time doing Top Gun poo poo.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2022

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Well I finally beat the game as Resistance on Normal, in June 2046. Total war started in 2029, most of the 2030s was re-building destroyed habs and building up new habs to improve the space economy, most of the 2040s was building up a huge fleet and assaulting bases. I ended up with 850 mission control - at a certain point it was much faster and easier to start couping small countries and pay $100k in direct investments to set up their space program + 6 mission control, than it was to build a new station with command centers.

Some mid-late game thoughts and tips:
After I built megachina with 2 billion people, I spent most of my councilor turns on advising China, sometimes all 6 of them - mostly to speed up the game as earth became less relevant and to focus attention on space. The research skyrocketed and very quickly went from a respectable 2k per month to like 20k. Periodically I would spend some time to turn a Servant or Protectorate councilor, and assassinate all the ones that could threaten me (anyone with persuasion or espionage over 10, with a good mission available like turn councilor or assassinate)

The energy crisis is a really really nasty event that I got sometime in the late 2030s. It massively reduced GDP and increased inequality by like 5 points everywhere, which caused major issues for all the other factions. It also made small countries near worthless due to unrest issues tanking their investment points.

Assaulting alien bases is worthwhile and might be doable mid-late game. You don't need fleet superiority or to remove the orbital station, you just need a fleet in low orbit. Maybe 30 assault value will give a good shot. It not only disrupts alien operations, it also reveals the location of every alien councilor, on Earth or otherwise. You don't get much in resources though.

If you can get a foothold on colonizing Jupiter, they focus their efforts on dislodging you there. It's a lot more defensible than the belt and there's several very very resource rich moons.

The best way to make money is to sell exotics. You can spend excess money on direct investment, especially into miltech (if needed) or mission control. Once you get all three resource sale techs they are worth 22,500 each, which is like 2 mission control in direct investments. Theoretically under the new patch, if you have the spare fissiles, manufacturing antimatter to sell is much better at generating cash than nanofactories and cheaper in terms of base metals.

Rare metals were the bottleneck in early-mid game and base metals were the bottleneck in late-mid game. Building habs is very base-metal intensive, especially on Mercury.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 9, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gyoru posted:

You need at least 20% Military investment AND a Rival for the missile test event to fire

Oh, that explains why I never got it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vengarr posted:

Lol who said that Layered Defense Arrays suck? I just had a pair destroy a Mothership :lol:

I did because when I unlocked them and built them I was still having single small ships destroy my colonies 50% of the time. I guess they scale up very well with weapons research.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol just had a bullshit space battle where I lost all three ships but had an enormous volley of missiles a few seconds away from hitting the alien mothership... when the battle auto-ended because all my ships had been destroyed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I actually had five of the most basic-rear end monitors take down a mothership with copperheads. Seriously. It just showed up at my shipyard one day and I said to myself "well, guess those ships are dead", stuck them on autopilot and then they blew it up. No defence array.

One of them survived, even. I got the achievement.

Maybe something bugged out? :shrug:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

BattleMaster posted:

I did because when I unlocked them and built them I was still having single small ships destroy my colonies 50% of the time. I guess they scale up very well with weapons research.

My experience is that they aren't very good on colonies but are very good on space stations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

esquilax posted:

Well I finally beat the game as Resistance on Normal, in June 2046. Total war started in 2029, most of the 2030s was re-building destroyed habs and building up new habs to improve the space economy, most of the 2040s was building up a huge fleet and assaulting bases. I ended up with 850 mission control - at a certain point it was much faster and easier to start couping small countries and pay $100k in direct investments to set up their space program + 6 mission control, than it was to build a new station with command centers.

Some mid-late game thoughts and tips:
After I built megachina with 2 billion people, I spent most of my councilor turns on advising China, sometimes all 6 of them - mostly to speed up the game as earth became less relevant and to focus attention on space. The research skyrocketed and very quickly went from a respectable 2k per month to like 20k. Periodically I would spend some time to turn a Servant or Protectorate councilor, and assassinate all the ones that could threaten me (anyone with persuasion or espionage over 10, with a good mission available like turn councilor or assassinate)

The energy crisis is a really really nasty event that I got sometime in the late 2030s. It massively reduced GDP and increased inequality by like 5 points everywhere, which caused major issues for all the other factions. It also made small countries near worthless due to unrest issues tanking their investment points.

Assaulting alien bases is worthwhile and might be doable mid-late game. You don't need fleet superiority or to remove the orbital station, you just need a fleet in low orbit. Maybe 30 assault value will give a good shot. It not only disrupts alien operations, it also reveals the location of every alien councilor, on Earth or otherwise. You don't get much in resources though.

If you can get a foothold on colonizing Jupiter, they focus their efforts on dislodging you there. It's a lot more defensible than the belt and there's several very very resource rich moons.

The best way to make money is to sell exotics. You can spend excess money on direct investment, especially into miltech (if needed) or mission control. Once you get all three resource sale techs they are worth 22,500 each, which is like 2 mission control in direct investments. Theoretically under the new patch, if you have the spare fissiles, manufacturing antimatter to sell is much better at generating cash than nanofactories and cheaper in terms of base metals.

Rare metals were the bottleneck in early-mid game and base metals were the bottleneck in late-mid game. Building habs is very base-metal intensive, especially on Mercury.

Congrats! 20k science sounds insane. What builds did you end up using for ship design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Layered defence potency is entirely down to the enemy designs. On my first game the aliens were entirely focused on ships with various projectiles. Missiles and purple things, but entirely things PD can shoot down. I had a couple defense arrays obliterate a mothership with ease because it just flew straight into the defense array's railgun shells while all its weapons were getting zapped by my PD. My next game the RNG gods did not smile on me. a single small alien ship was able to defeat a station with 4 arrays simply because the aliens had a single beam weapon this time. The beam weapons could destroy an array in about 2-3 shots and that was that.

I so wish we could design a single template for our defense arrays instead of leaving it entirely up to the AI. Maybe we want to stick them full of missiles and 1 small PD. Maybe we want them 100% PD. Or whatever mix we think is best!