Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GreenBuckanneer posted:

(besides Dolphin not recognizing the deck's controls automatically...)

Emudeck loads decent controller profiles into steam. The only fiddling I’ve had to do in Dolphin is changing the “attached device” from nunchuck to “classic controller” and clicking “sideways wiimote” but those might be preference/per game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

Boilr never finds any images for me, it just does the little spinning progress wheel searching forever

What have I broken

Did you set it up with your steamgriddb.com api key?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Emudeck loads decent controller profiles into steam. The only fiddling I’ve had to do in Dolphin is changing the “attached device” from nunchuck to “classic controller” and clicking “sideways wiimote” but those might be preference/per game.

Not sure what happened but it finally worked under "SDL/0/Microsoft X-Box 360 pad 0"

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Dolphin works fine with the evdev input, you just have to press one of the face buttons for it to get recognized before the triggers.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

God help me I just impulse bought a Steam Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

You made the right choice

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

VanillaGorilla posted:

Enjoy, it's a very nice piece of kit. Make sure to sniff the vent when you get it!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Trying now to emulate N64/PSP/PS1/2/3, GC, WII, and maybe 1-2 WII U games, The emulation itself is going ok (besides Dolphin not recognizing the deck's controls automatically...) but I really would prefer to launch these out of gaming mode instead of having to crack open the keyboard and mouse in desktop mode, launch the game, then undock everything and go back to the comfortable spot in the room.

Is emudeck the way to go here?
Yes, Emudeck+Steam Rom Manager will turn roms for the systems you select into non-Steam games in your library. So your gaming mode home screen can look like this and you can launch games from there.

eddiewalker posted:

With Wii U stuff you should also set its controller to a Pro Controller, as it defaults to the Gamepad which can gently caress with how some menus display if you're not using the Deck as a Gamepad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

Yes, Emudeck+Steam Rom Manager will turn roms for the systems you select into non-Steam games in your library. So your gaming mode home screen can look like this and you can launch games from there.

With Wii U stuff you should also set its controller to a Pro Controller, as it defaults to the Gamepad which can gently caress with how some menus display if you're not using the Deck as a Gamepad.

how do you set a banner for that leftmost recent games screen? that always turns up blank for my roms

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Super No Vacancy posted:

how do you set a banner for that leftmost recent games screen? that always turns up blank for my roms

Steam rom manager handles that but it's not the greatest at mapping games sometimes.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

This is a dumb question from a complete loving moron but...

If I have a few hundred dollars sitting in my steam account from gift cards, can I use that towards a Steam Deck?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

loving Moron posted:

This is a dumb question from a complete loving moron but...

If I have a few hundred dollars sitting in my steam account from gift cards, can I use that towards a Steam Deck?

I think so yeah, you pay for it like you pay for anything else

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Yeah, I used a few dollars I had left from selling cards probably a decade ago towards the deck.

(are the cards still a thing? Don't think I earned one in a while)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yeah, I used a few dollars I had left from selling cards probably a decade ago towards the deck.

(are the cards still a thing? Don't think I earned one in a while)

Yeah, they're still a thing though I hardly give them a thought these days.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Steam rom manager handles that but it's not the greatest at mapping games sometimes.

don't think it's worked for any of mine, is there a way to do it manually like the other art?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I think so yeah, you pay for it like you pay for anything else

Thank you and I love you.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Super No Vacancy posted:

I just load steam in desktop mode, right click it, go to Manage, Set artwork.

I don't like Steam Rom Manager so I add my images and roms manual with "add non-steam game to library." Open https://www.steamgriddb.com/ on desktop mode browser and grab the images for whatever game you want.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving Moron posted:

Thank you and I love you.

Love you too!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

don't think it's worked for any of mine, is there a way to do it manually like the other art?

I think the rom manager interface when you preview before pushing If you click the grid box there is an option to add manually

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Athanatos posted:

I don't like Steam Rom Manager so I add my images and roms manual with "add non-steam game to library." Open https://www.steamgriddb.com/ on desktop mode browser and grab the images for whatever game you want.

Remember sgdboop (linked in the site's header) so you can right click-add each pic directly to steam shortcuts.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone been messing with pcsx2 settings? Simpsons Hit and Run ran great but ssx3 and mgs3 are struggling big time.

In researching this stuff it sounds like mgs3 is just tough to emulate so that one might be a lost cause. The gameplay runs fine but the cutscenes are in slow-mo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Two things that I ran into so far after purging and reinstalling EmuDeck in an attempt to make things cleaner/not poo poo:

ES's scraper updates the game name for everything using the US name, so my list is full of several indistinguishable repeats of certain titles that got multiple releases. There doesn't seem to be a way to fix this (just show me the filename somewhere!) either. Is there a quick way to delete/reset all of the scraped crud?

RetroArch also seems to have gotten RetroAchievements turned on, so every time I open a game I get a popup about how it's missing a username/password. I tried turning off achievements in RA, but when I go to save I get some error about permission denied.

I'm not sure what I'm missing and video-only guides are a massive loving pain to deal with

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Super No Vacancy posted:

If SRM doesn't find the artwork from SteamGridDB automatically because it's a bad program, you launch the game so it's the most recent game played. Then you can right click it from the library home screen in Desktop and set custom artwork like normal. Or you can set it in SRM. Russ walked through the process of doing all the artwork in his first Emudeck video. He does it for non-Steam Linux games but the process is the same for roms.

Zamujasa posted:

Two things that I ran into so far after purging and reinstalling EmuDeck in an attempt to make things cleaner/not poo poo:

ES's scraper updates the game name for everything using the US name, so my list is full of several indistinguishable repeats of certain titles that got multiple releases. There doesn't seem to be a way to fix this (just show me the filename somewhere!) either. Is there a quick way to delete/reset all of the scraped crud?

RetroArch also seems to have gotten RetroAchievements turned on, so every time I open a game I get a popup about how it's missing a username/password. I tried turning off achievements in RA, but when I go to save I get some error about permission denied.

I'm not sure what I'm missing and video-only guides are a massive loving pain to deal with
Also from Russ from RetroGameCorps, he does written guide companions to his video guides. Have a look through his Retroarch guide.
https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/02/28/retroarch-starter-guide/

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 9, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone been messing with pcsx2 settings? Simpsons Hit and Run ran great but ssx3 and mgs3 are struggling big time.

In researching this stuff it sounds like mgs3 is just tough to emulate so that one might be a lost cause. The gameplay runs fine but the cutscenes are in slow-mo.

MGS3 has some weird effects in cutscenes that produce a blur effect by rendering the same frame multiple times or something and it's really demanding when emulated. It might actually be easier to emulate the MGS HD collection on PS3/360.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok thanks. steam rom manager worked fine for all the other art but has never set that one particular banner as far as i can tell. i'll try doing it manually

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zamujasa posted:

Apparently the solution was to close the content/emulated game first and then make the relevant settings changes and save, which. I don't really understand why, but sure.

Now to figure out the "50 copies of the same game" problem. Having the art and information is nice, but not being able to tell them apart...

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

njsykora posted:

If SRM doesn't find the artwork from SteamGridDB automatically because it's a bad program, you launch the game so it's the most recent game played. Then you can right click it from the library home screen in Desktop and set custom artwork like normal. Or you can set it in SRM. Russ walked through the process of doing all the artwork in his first Emudeck video. He does it for non-Steam Linux games but the process is the same for roms.

Also from Russ from RetroGameCorps, he does written guide companions to his video guides. Have a look through his Retroarch guide.
https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/02/28/retroarch-starter-guide/

Russ is coming out with a new guide for Emudeck next week to coincide with a big new version they're testing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

loving Moron posted:

Holy cow I just looked into those and I am super jealous. I bought a meta quest two just to do a big theater but it makes me nauseous when using them. Do these have any consequences of motion suckness?

Now I need to save up for these after I finish saving for my steamdeck.

Unfortunately because the 3dof doesn't track while using this on the Deck the screen becomes a static UI like an HUD so it doesn't move at all. If I move around too much while wearing them it gets me disoriented easily. I'm usually still.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

sigher posted:

Unfortunately because the 3dof doesn't track while using this on the Deck the screen becomes a static UI like an HUD so it doesn't move at all. If I move around too much while wearing them it gets me disoriented easily. I'm usually still.

Yeah I regret buying my Meta Quest 2. I wanted the big screen and play VR but I had no idea I was so easily susceptible to the motion sickness. I should have waited and got a Steam Deck.

Hindsight.

Im thinking of selling my Meta Quest and my Switch and just focusing on the Steam Deck and possibly some pair of video glasses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my Steam Deck today :toot: having a lot of issues getting emulation to work at all on it though. I guess I need a stupid people guide that is a website walkthrough that I can read and follow carefully lol. Desktop mode on Steam Deck seems to have a lot of issues though. First problem I am having that I want to fix is that the download folder is only showing the root folder of a file I am unarchiving, but nothing else, even though I am confirming everything is archived. How do I fix this?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

For anyone who’s been playing D2R on their deck, how have you been launching it? Have you just added the b.net launcher to steam?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

loving Moron posted:

Yeah I regret buying my Meta Quest 2. I wanted the big screen and play VR but I had no idea I was so easily susceptible to the motion sickness. I should have waited and got a Steam Deck.

Hindsight.

Im thinking of selling my Meta Quest and my Switch and just focusing on the Steam Deck and possibly some pair of video glasses.

I've owned a lot of VR headsets, and I have an Index, none of them have the visual clarity or vivid colors of the Nreal Airs and I would definitely use them over any VR headset for a "large screen" experience in your pocket.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I said come in! posted:

Got my Steam Deck today :toot: having a lot of issues getting emulation to work at all on it though. I guess I need a stupid people guide that is a website walkthrough that I can read and follow carefully lol. Desktop mode on Steam Deck seems to have a lot of issues though. First problem I am having that I want to fix is that the download folder is only showing the root folder of a file I am unarchiving, but nothing else, even though I am confirming everything is archived. How do I fix this?

I've yet to start setting up emulation but was planning on following the 50-minute video in the op when I get the time. Did you use that at all? It'll be good to know how idiot-proof it is before I sink any time into following it myself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dreffen posted:

For anyone who’s been playing D2R on their deck, how have you been launching it? Have you just added the b.net launcher to steam?

Yeah only problem I seem to have is in game mode the launcher doesn’t go full screen. If I go into desktop mode it works fine so I’ve just been doing that.

Also Brotato is a great $5 deck game.

Pick it up

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

Ya'll actually playing Elden Ring on the deck? Been thinking about diving back into it. But it almost feels too immersive a game for that little screen yeah? I dunno. I'd mainly want to play for Crossplay with PC but last time I tried the PC version a month or two ago it was still pretty janky.

Plays better on Deck than (Windows) PC, not kidding. It ran fine on my PC too because I was playing it with Linux Proton just like the Deck - Proton shares precompiled shaders so you lose the stuttering that you get under Windows.

Run it in the Deck's 40 fps cap mode, it's smooth and pretty.

Use your headphones, some of the soundtrack doesn't make it through the speakers, also some wind noise. That's about the only fidelity complaint I had, nothing on the graphics/playability side.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Another awesome Deck game I just rediscovered is Sonic All Star Racing Transformed. It was the best of the Sonic racing games and comes closest to matching the Mario Kart formula. I honestly like a lot of it’s tracks better than MK8, but the weapons and combat are so so. Still an amazing game, even with the gimmicky transformation sections.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

https://twitter.com/Everdraed/status/1579237793967939586

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I just installed EmuDeck and dropped roms in the rom folder and the bios in the bios folder, ran the steam rom thing and it worked great. Sometimes you have to run the emulator first or change controls but thats it.

the main emulators even have the binds for save/load state already set up

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

dreffen posted:

Yep the launcher. For whatever reason it never opens the launcher the first time for me in game mode at least. After an abort or two it opens fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Since I've seen it mentioned a few times how do you do the 40 fps cap? The only performance options I see in the deck's profile allows for 30, 60, or uncapped. I've been playing at 60 and absolutely don't think I'd notice the difference between 40 and 60