Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Murktide regent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Simply Simon posted:

Oh so you're one of those opponents who see me go off like a maniac, exiling their entire hand, but don't just concede?! When I see Nicol or Liliana's draw-4-cards on the first turn, I just "gg" and move on to save us both a lot of time
No, I'm the guy who watched five people in a row first-turn Nicol or Liliana draw 4 then combo into infinity

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there anything in Modern/Legacy/Vintage that's warping the format currently?

MH2

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

resistentialism posted:

Murktide regent

absolutely not the case lol. In modern murktide isn’t even a top 3 deck atm and in legacy it’s just a creature that gets hit with plow. EI is a problem in that format for sure though and would send delver back to the pack with a ban

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The gently caress is this Spike deck? The Johnny deck has more removal than the Spike deck!

I refuse to play the Vorthos deck because Nico Bolas can rot in his plane for all eternity, I don't need any more reminders of that rear end in a top hat.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 9, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The gently caress is this Spike deck? The Johnny deck has more removal than the Spike deck!

I refuse to play the Vorthos deck because Nico Bolas can rot in his plane for all eternity, I don't need any more reminders of that rear end in a top hat.

Spike brought all the cards that were annoying standard players for the last few years. None of them is useful in an omniscience context. It is a pretty funny joke.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Draft token on sale today for those of y'all that play limited.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VictualSquid posted:

Spike brought all the cards that were annoying standard players for the last few years. None of them is useful in an omniscience context. It is a pretty funny joke.

If there is a deck that SHOULD be packing Overwhelming Splendor, it is the Spike Deck, but noooo, loving Vorthos.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Draft token on sale today for those of y'all that play limited.

Or buy it anyways, draft, and dip.

Just don't be like me and hoard the drat things, intending to draft and dip and then never actually drafting and/or dipping.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 9, 2022

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The sale said 10% off, but the gold price was 6750. More than 30% off.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If there is a deck that SHOULD be packing Overwhelming Splendor, it is the Spike Deck, but noooo, loving Vorthos.

Or buy it anyways, draft, and dip.

Just don't be like me and hoarde the drat things, intending to draft and dip and then never actually drafting and/or dipping.

I'm up to 11 draft tokens. One of these days I'll care about limited!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
imo if you draft you should at least attempt to play your games out instead of immediately retiring the deck; the only way to get better at drafting is to do it and most people's issue instead is getting the currency together to draft regularly to start improving

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Theros, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Ikoria, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Core 2021, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Zendikar Rising, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
I didn't play Kaldheim
Strixhaven, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
TFR, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Midnight Hunt, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Crimson Vow, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Neon Kamigawa, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Streets of New Capenna, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
DU, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.
Brothers War, I will definitely, absolutely burn all my draft tokens before opening packs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I also recommend drafting because it's fun regardless of whatever optimization strategies you're doing

or I guess intending to do

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I stopped playing arena for months due to mental health but also I scrubbed out super hard on NEO drafting and those two situations may be related.

If anyone wants to humor a question how did that set end up being in terms of what was good limited-wise? Short, glib answers are fine, just I could never get a handle on it and didn't pay attention again until after SNC started.

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 9, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Eight-Six posted:

If anyone wants to humor a question how did that set end up being in terms of what was good limited-wise? Short, glib answers are fine, just I could never get a handle on it and didn't pay attention again until after SNC started.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VelvetyBrilliantChrysalis-mobile.mp4

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2022

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

resistentialism posted:

The sale said 10% off, but the gold price was 6750. More than 30% off.

probably because the gold : gems ratio is skewed for draft. for most stuff in the store it's 5 : 1 but for drafts it's normally 6 2/3 : 1. this is 10% off of what it would be if they hadn't jacked up the gold price

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

I stopped playing arena for months due to mental health but also I scrubbed out super hard on NEO drafting and those two situations may be related.

code:
Two-color	373845	657278	56.9%
Azorius (WU)	26893	47953	56.1%
Dimir (UB)	69399	118528	58.6%
Rakdos (BR)	58497	100851	58.0%
Gruul (RG)	16063	29677	54.1%
Selesnya (GW)	54157	94874	57.1%
Orzhov (WB)	34084	60540	56.3%
Golgari (BG)	37242	64321	57.9%
Simic (GU)	23579	41806	56.4%
Izzet (UR)	29204	52619	55.5%
Boros (RW)	24727	46109	53.6%
I personally drafted mostly BR near the end, red creatures weren't as highly valued most of the time, so the aggro 1 and 2 drops can come pretty easily in human drafts. There's a trumpet blast and a 5 mana treachery that both go very very late, because they're just bad cards except in very aggressive decks.

Ninjas seemed decent but I never actually managed to draft it, I draft for rare completion (which I got), and good blue and black cards go early in the same picks that rares tend to float around in.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eight-Six posted:

Black was very good. Red was very bad, but you could put together a good mono red/RB artifact aggro deck since nobody else wanted the rest of the pieces. Green had busted uncommons but the commons were all very flat though you could do some dumb recursion loops for value. White's best card, Imperial Oath, was extremely good and you could easily play 4-5, but also extremely splashable and white suffered as a result. Blue was good in the ninjas deck and ok elsewhere. Sagas were great, Shrines were okay. UW Vehicles, RW martial, RG modified all were traps, avoid if possible. There was lots of fixing, and 4-5 colour soup was an option.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Black was very good. Red was very bad, but you could put together a good mono red/RB artifact aggro deck since nobody else wanted the rest of the pieces. Green had busted uncommons but the commons were all very flat though you could do some dumb recursion loops for value. White's best card, Imperial Oath, was extremely good and you could easily play 4-5, but also extremely splashable and white suffered as a result. Blue was good in the ninjas deck and ok elsewhere. Sagas were great, Shrines were okay. UW Vehicles, RW martial, RG modified all were traps, avoid if possible. There was lots of fixing, and 4-5 colour soup was an option.

UW vehicles was not a trap, you just needed a lot of help at uncommon to fix the holes in the deck (so it's a semi trap?). WR samurai was very much a trap and never really came together as a viable draft strategy.

RG modified was also a trap except for the deck that had multiple invigorating hot springs, and even then it was still not that great. It was probably better to splash the hot springs in some other deck like GW or something.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I had an excellent Gruul deck but that relied a lot on a "lol I win" Thundering Raiju turn, I agree that you should not bother with it beyond that

My takeaways from learning about the format and drafting it a bit during the last time it was on Quick Draft was that if you let a green core, often with black, get into the lategame, you lose. If you draft it yourself, value survival and you can win in a long game on sheer recurring value alone. Stuff like bouncing your Gloomshrieker with Geothermal Kami, the Skyturtle loops mentioned, or fun realizations like "Twisted Embrace is an Enchantment so I can recur that too and take out two things with it, three if you count the trade that got it into the yard".

How to win before this happens:
- do sick plays with Ninjas (e.g. bouncing one in to deal damage then bounce it back end of combat to have it back on hand), abusing etb triggers and so on.
- get a VERY solid WB mixed enchantment/artifact core (personally I don't think it works super well unless the stars align, again very Uncommon-dependend and ofc they can just remove your one artifact/enchantment and you're sad).
- red/black aggro as mentioned above
- GW AGGRO enchantments can totally work, helped by the same green cards with heavy value that also search for more enchantments for example
- UR artifacts might work but I've never seen it come together either for me or any opp

That's what I remember so far!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Legit Businessman posted:

UW vehicles was not a trap, you just needed a lot of help at uncommon to fix the holes in the deck (so it's a semi trap?). WR samurai was very much a trap and never really came together as a viable draft strategy.

RG modified was also a trap except for the deck that had multiple invigorating hot springs, and even then it was still not that great. It was probably better to splash the hot springs in some other deck like GW or something.

I listened to Sam Black talk about RG and he said that it has a low win rate because most people were trying to go too big with it and rely on stuff like Hot Springs, which he didn't consider very good even in RG. He basically said RG should be one of the most low-to-the-ground archetypes and that it comes when mono-R isn't enough to make a deck and you fill in with with the green common chaff that most people pass very late like Coiling Stalker and Heir of the Ancient Fang

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I listened to Sam Black talk about RG and he said that it has a low win rate because most people were trying to go too big with it and rely on stuff like Hot Springs, which he didn't consider very good even in RG. He basically said RG should be one of the most low-to-the-ground archetypes and that it comes when mono-R isn't enough to make a deck and you fill in with with the green common chaff that most people pass very late like Coiling Stalker and Heir of the Ancient Fang
https://www.17lands.com/deck/0ad92ab97d294a26bea71b29d0ed8677

This trophied even though it doesn't look like it should. Just full aggro all the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love when someone has that moment of "aha, I got you!" and then realizes oops, they killed themselves, there's a like 5 second pause, then concession

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
shameful, should have eaten the damage and gone out with dignity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol this deck rules, I love magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jIlhlS70D4&hd=1

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Ok so this was my first draft in 2 years and can you guys tell me what I should have picked and what signals I was missing? I've listened to a couple podcasts and watched some streams, but that's the extent of my DMU knowledge. Thought I'd be able to look at card ratings on my phone, but that didn't work out. Roommates came in and started chatting and I got flustered trying to multitask.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/f0229542bfee4205ab5e0d29828fd199

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

odinson posted:

Ok so this was my first draft in 2 years and can you guys tell me what I should have picked and what signals I was missing? I've listened to a couple podcasts and watched some streams, but that's the extent of my DMU knowledge. Thought I'd be able to look at card ratings on my phone, but that didn't work out. Roommates came in and started chatting and I got flustered trying to multitask.

Whatever podcast is telling you that Shalai's Acolyte is playable should be deleted immediately.

There were a lot of duals you could have taken to pump domain and allow for splashes that you were passing for clunky 5 drops. You badly wanted those Black/x duals that you passed (p2p4, p3p8) because they'd let you play Nemata and Urborg Repossession which are great.

Next time lock your door and tell your roommates your busy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

odinson posted:

Just in a nutshell-

I think there was an amazing Sultai deck on the table and you locked into White for dubious reasons. Necromass available late in pick order is definitely a sign.

Seems like you want to build domain but you never go for the dual-lands.

I think you need to prioritize stronger cards instead of going all in on a color. Your card evaluation seems a little off too, I'm very unexcited to be playing Magnigoth Sentry and I would be much happier with a Bite Down in my hand most of the time. Phyrexian Espionage is good and you passed on a bunch.

I'm not sure it's worth going pick by pick but a Tolarian Terror available p2p7 is definitely a sign.

It hurts to see you pick Herd Migration and then keep passing on duals.

Argivian Cavalier is a medium role-player in the go-wide archetype. Windgrace is huge value and should have fit great into what looks more like a Domain Soup deck. I would have picked a land over Argivian even.

Urborg over Nishoba seems pretty silly, especially with your deck.

There's more picks like that but it seems like you just couldn't decide if you were domain or go-wide. you had an a+ domain deck open. Sunbathing Rootwalla isn't very good in the deck that you built.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Play repo, nemata, and strength of the coalition, cut some number of 5 drops because they're just bad. Should be doable on just two swamps since you have vinewall, herd migration and deathblooms, and neither black cards need to be played early.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shalai's Acolyte is underpowered for the cost both unkicked and kicked, I probably would have taken Tolarian Geyser which is one of the best commons. That, Phyrexian Espionage, and a late Terror would have pulled me into blue by the end of pack 1.

Towards the end, once I knew I was going to do domain stuff I would have started taking all those lands over spells, those lands going late was pretty lucky . I would have also taken the ones that weren't GW to open up domain, and especially play the black cards -- if I had gotten Nemata (incredibly good) I would have also picked up Bonerattle (also incredibly good)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

odinson posted:

fair warning: I'm not exactly a DMU master

on a quick look I'd say that wasn't horrendous for a distracted first attempt, more just a matter of not knowing the format (which you'll do through experience)

For your first pick I'd have been looking far more heavily at Cut Down or Tolarian Geyser, which are splashable and have some nice synergies. Acolyte being a big flyer is nice but it's always expensive + big flyers are less good in DMU than some other formats since the removal is so strong and splashable. It's also in GW colors which is go-wide tokens and tends to break board stalls open via mass pump, which is enabled by multiple good common and uncommon options, the untaken Zar Ojanen among them. I understand not wanting to commit to colors that early (and again I'd have taken Cut Down or Geyser over him), but Acolyte is a card where you really need the option of playing the kicker to include it in the deck in the first place, so it's nearly as committing as Zar is (you can play Acolyte in base green domain and that's probably where it's at its best, but its not really good enough to draw you in that direction + Cut Down/Geyser are likely splashable anyway if you end up there).

From there I'd say it's a combination of minor/moderate misevaluations and a frustrating combination of early over-commitment to chosen colors and under-commitment to deck synergies, i.e. vinewall at pick 3 over captain's call seems a bit iffy given your earlier white picks unless you're intent on forcing domain (and again the Shalai isn't remotely good enough to push me there), though in the event domain was wide open and white dried up pretty hard after your first few picks in packs 1-2 (though you got some GW wheels). That's something that should have pushed you to look towards the other colors + moved white to more of a splash (especially easy in base green domain). Missed signal-wise I think black and more specifically UB were also open, that 4th pick Vohar was something of a signal, as were Necromass and Espionage at pick 6.

Once you did commit, in general you'd have done much better to build for the synergies your deck was pointing you towards (domain and [if you were sticking with it] GW go-wide, even if you split the difference to some extent) - i.e. in pack 2 an on-color dual that doesn't expand your ability to splash over a Nishoba Brawler is pretty clearly wrong given how insane Nishoba is + you having just taken Nemata as a possible splash. And in turn if you'd gone for the Strength of the Coalition over Nemata then the 6th pick Captain's Call looks great with Strength + Queen. You do get the Strength to wheel, but then you would very likely have been in position to take Sacred Peaks for easy +domain, which you already had several things keying off-of and which would have set you up for future domain payoffs in your colors (which you in fact do get/see in pack 3).

Also just some very iffy later picks - i.e. Tail Swipe is great, Nishoba Brawler is once again a fantastic pick, especially once you have the Herd Migration (a top card in the format and one that should have pushed you to heavily prioritize domain-boosting duals + domain payoffs in pack 3, especially given that you already had multiple rootwallas), 8th pick Radiant Grove over Sunlit Marsh (especially bad since you'd taken black splash cards!), etc.

LGD fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 10, 2022

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My opponent just used the Scorpion God's effect on one of my creatures. The creature had several +1/+1 counters on it, but its toughness was reduced to 1 by damage. The Scorpion God's effect destroyed one of its counters, turning it into an x/0 creature, killing it. What I did not expect was that, when this happened, this triggered the Scorpion God's ability and caused my opponent to draw a card. Can someone explain this rules interaction?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 10, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ariong posted:

My opponent just used the Scorpion God's effect on one of my creatures. The creature had several +1/+1 counters on it, but its toughness was reduced to 1 by damage. The Scorpion God's effect destroyed one of its counters, turning it into an x/0 creature, killing it. What I did not expect was that, when this happened, this triggered the Scorpion God's ability and caused my opponent to draw a card. Can someone explain this rules interaction?

-1/-1 counters and +1/+1 counters on the same creature are removed as a state-based effect. However, if the creature dies during the same state-based effect check, it dies with the -1/-1 counters still on it.

The exact rule is 704.8. If a state-based action results in a permanent leaving the battlefield at the same time other state-based actions were performed, that permanent’s last known information is derived from the game state before any of those state-based actions were performed.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 10, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

This is the first time I've watched any of Jim Davis's content, is he always this insufferable?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't really give a poo poo about that person personally but i'm kind of tired of every youtube video that gets posted in here getting met with some level of hostility

though if that stopped happening we'd never get that one time someone got accused of being day9

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MtG is somehow one of the only hobbies I have that I as a rule never watch YouTube videos of because I actually hate every other Magic player and have zero interest in hearing anyone talk about it.

Yet here I am, with all you reprobates. Probably because I thankfully can't hear any of you.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i really like the people over at loadingreadyrun a whole bunch but a combination of them being relatively casual on the spectrum of kitchen table to pro grinder + the threads here having some level of baseline hostility makes me not post them very often (usually only when a preprerelease event is happening)

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

fridge corn posted:

This is the first time I've watched any of Jim Davis's content, is he always this insufferable?

Dude just loves his soundboard, don’t hate on simple pleasures

I enjoy watching his set reviews because you can see him getting more and more tired and annoyed as he starts each new color.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fridge corn posted:

jim's great, it's sad that you're unable to enjoy his content, because he makes lots of great videos like Mogg Mondays. oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Dude just loves his soundboard, don’t hate on simple pleasures

I enjoy watching his set reviews because you can see him getting more and more tired and annoyed as he starts each new color.

That sounds the opposite of what I want from an mtg youtuber

The only mtg youtuber ive posted here is mono black magic who's enthusiasm I find quite charming although I could easily see how someone could find him irritating. The only other constructed youtuber I follow is LVD. Are there any other decent youtubers for standard bo1 decks?