Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I am not responding to you because you have given absolutely no sign that you're willing to read a drat thing anyone says in good faith.

That’s one way of reading the last page and a half, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

for me this alice person has committed the ultimate crime of making the There’s your problem podcast unlistenable

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jel Shaker posted:

for me this alice person has committed the ultimate crime of making the UKMT unreadable

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Halisnacks posted:

Clinton’s comment was not only bad for the role it played in Trump’s victory - it was bad in principle. It was quite rightly a scandal and the coverage of it only seemed disproportionate in relation to the tyre fire of Trump’s candidacy. Our political leaders should not think, much less declare, that a portion of the electorate is either deplorable or detestable.
Yeah, this is kind of a party-first vs. people-first approaching to slagging off your opponents. Clinton didn't attack mainstream GOP politicians, she attacked large chunks of the electorate for what was basically just a revulsion born out of aesthetics rather than morals - given that she didn't just call out the entire GOP instead.

Attacking the Tories on the other hand is attacking a group that is at its core, politicians and their superfans - the party membership - The latter of course not even being that much larger than that of the SNP. Probably not a great idea if you were trying to court people who might have sympathies towards them, or who were sympathetic towards people who identified as Tories, but it is in no way at the level of the moral and intellectual failure of Clinton's comment.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Bobstar posted:

There's a linguistic aspect too. "Labour" is always a vague uncountable concept - "I hate Labour" or "Labour will bankrupt the country" doesn't directly refer to individuals, and is thus more readily assigned to the party leadership I think. Whereas "Tories" is countable and refers to specific people - so you end up debating which ones. Cabinet, MPs, party members, voters, small-c conservatives. Makes it easier to feign outrage whenever someone says they hate Tories.

Yeah this linguistic difference is probably doing some work. Omitting the definite article also adds to the ambiguity. “I detest the Tories” would probably be parsed as a reference to the political leadership of the party, while “I detest Tories” can be interpreted more expansively.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

One of the few commonalities between Hillary and Nicola is that people will just make poo poo up about what she said anyway. I heard she wants to turn all the women into men and all the men into frogs, that's what I heard.

May as well just speak your mind if people are going to do that.

I think the obvious public problems with alcohol that created the temperance movement can definitely be tied to industrial capitalism. There were drunks in classical antiquity, but to get the scale of public misery that Engels wrote about in Manchester you need cheap distilled spirits and lives devoid of meaning, and industrial capitalism, urbanization, and the Coffey still were happy to provide both.

You can see similar with a lot of other drugs. The East Midlands has used opium medicinally and recreationally since the neolithic, and despite moralizing by everyone from bishops to Cromwell to Victorian home secretaries it was never anywhere near the scale of a social problem as cheap refined heroin from post-Revolution Iran headed to marginalized communities in post-Thatcher Britain.

You can draw a near identical timeline for coca and Latin America and the crack epidemic in the US (and the even more damaging attendant moral panic).

The only thing that all of these threads have taught us is that you can make something Class AAA** Super Prohibited and it just increases the prison population and scares people away from engaging with health and social services.

A book going into this argument in more detail that "some guy on the internet told me this", for arguing with the Tories in your life.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0199588716/

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

don’t worry, people suddenly become “lifelong” party voters from one election to the next depending on who they vote for that time

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bit late to this but yeah, smoking a joint stinks really bad and can make your clothes stink in a very strong, noticeable and lasting way, if you do it in a remotely confined area or if the wind isn't strongly blowing it all away from you. You can smell it when smoking from like 10s of metres away no problem.

Vaping *does* still smell but nowhere near as strongly. The smell doesn't linger around as much and if you do it outside there's basically no chance it'll make your clothes smell in a noticeable way, though you'll probably still have weed smell on your breath.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I detest Tories.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have never smoked or ate a weed but I would like it to be legalised so that I can try it without having a mild panic attack about 19 perfect SWAT officers bursting through every opening in the house to put me at gunpoint over it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

I detest Tories.

I think every Tory should die. And thanks to the concept of time, I always win.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bobstar posted:

Mostly unrelated, I came across articles in the Dutch and UK news with a common theme: both Schiphol security personnel and British teaching assistants are leaving those jobs to be better paid at supermarkets, leading to much confused gnashing of teeth from employers.

Interesting that supermarkets have become the kind of backstop employer, chosen over putting up with sticky toddler tantrums in your face, or working in schools.

I consider quitting my pharmacy job for a supermarket position at least three times a week. The money would be better there. We're on 9.67 an hour, lmao (though I get the London pay so I'm on 10.67, luxury). We cannot recruit to fill our empty positions. The work is too much for us and the customers are *not* understanding or kind. I'm sick of getting scoffed at and sworn at and shouted at and having people respond to me with contempt when I work so loving hard to make sure people get their medicines. The ones who take up the most time and effort are also the ones who are least understanding of delay or complication and I'm sick of it.

uggghhhhhhhh

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Halisnacks posted:

Our political leaders should not think, much less declare, that a portion of the electorate is either deplorable or detestable.

It’s true though, a huge plurality of Donald Trump’s voters hold absolutely abhorrent views that are completely deplorable and they should be ashamed of themselves, not celebrated

And huge numbers of people on the right in the UK are completely hateful

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1579170480929443840

:allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I don't really see how you can hate the concept of tories in the abstract and not extend it to the people that make it up? Again I don't believe there is a concept of it that is divisible from the people who practice it, the god of toryism is created out of the belief of all its adherents, and every single one of them is responsible for what it does to a greater or lesser degree. The leaders are culpable, the members are culpable, the voters are culpable, and I don't see why people should be coddled from being told they are responsible for what they vote for.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

One of the few commonalities between Hillary and Nicola is that people will just make poo poo up about what she said anyway. I heard she wants to turn all the women into men and all the men into frogs, that's what I heard

So you're saying Sturgeon is going to resurrect the Auld Alliance, then?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's talk amongst the Tory MPs of ousting Truss and installing a caretaker PM, with one of the top contenders being Grant Shapps. The others on the list are Michael Green, Sebastian Fox and Corinne Stockheath.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is a group effort

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

There's talk amongst the Tory MPs of ousting Truss and installing a caretaker PM, with one of the top contenders being Grant Shapps. The others on the list are Michael Green, Sebastian Fox and Corinne Stockheath.

Noice

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Halisnacks posted:

Our political leaders should not think, much less declare, that a portion of the electorate is either deplorable or detestable.

I agree, everyone should be nice and polite to each other regardless of what horrible things they say/do/believe. That'll definitely (continue to) make things better.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

fuctifino posted:

Ah yes those people I have definately heard of before.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

I detest Tories.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tomberforce posted:

They're all the same person

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

Would you suggest we should have kinder, gentler politics?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Well, Michael Green is Grant Shapps, so I suspect fuctifino isn't being entirely serious

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just one of the reasons that rumour is bullshit is that Tory MPs don't get to choose who the new leader is

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

kingturnip posted:

Well, Michael Green is Grant Shapps, so I suspect fuctifino isn't being entirely serious

I wish I was joking about Grant Shapps' name being talked about as a caretaker PM until the next GE

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1579045224487084033

Julio Cruz posted:

just one of the reasons that rumour is bullshit is that Tory MPs don't get to choose who the new leader is

They do if all other MPs drop out of the leadership race to leave only one. Isn't that how Theresa May won?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Caretaker is a different thing altogether, that can just be nominated.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

fuctifino posted:

I wish I was joking about Grant Shapps' name being talked about as a caretaker PM until the next GE

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1579045224487084033

They do if all other MPs drop out of the leadership race to leave only one. Isn't that how Theresa May won?

Yep - it only goes to a members vote if there's not a clear winner after the MPs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ditch Truss and get Shappsy the Shyster in. I demand more lolz before we progress to Kieth’s Age of Tedium

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

kingturnip posted:

I'm sorry there is no way that 'Grant Shapps' is a real person. Absurd.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah kos, or some say kosm, grant us shapps.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Our next PM will have a mandate smaller than the current one, who has the support of 81,000 rabid pensioners (some of whom have since died of old age). In a few months, we will eventually have PM Raab with the sole support of a 5 a side football team, which he also plays for.

e: in other news...

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1579218450966523906

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1579221521029300225

He looks very happy about the promotion, and those hands look very grabby. He was on team Rishi, so I guess we're going to see many of those people placated with bullshit positions

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol if you think that Rishi/Gove/Javid etc are going to step aside rather than force a members' vote

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

lol if you think that Rishi/Gove/Javid etc are going to step aside rather than force a members' vote

They are going to all stab each other in the back, and it's going to be glorious to watch

e: ugh, I missed this from yesterday

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1578830757480759296

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 9, 2022

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

... why do countries keep trying these schemes.

The way you improve birthrates is better childcare and maternity leave provision, this is clear. When women have the choice between a professional career and a family, they will mostly pick the career and their own independence over a family. So you have to make it so they don't have to choose.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

They are going to all stab each other in the back, and it's going to be glorious to watch

e: ugh, I missed this from yesterday

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1578830757480759296

Bonk is a word that only exists in newspaper & I hate it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Notice the sun doesn't publish the name of this supposed cabinet minister. I guess the government is testing the waters to see what public opinion is like for this current literal nazi playbook idea

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

so high taxes are the reason i'm not getting any. god, is there anything taxes aren't ruining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

... why do countries keep trying these schemes.

The way you improve birthrates is better childcare and maternity leave provision, this is clear. When women have the choice between a professional career and a family, they will mostly pick the career and their own independence over a family. So you have to make it so they don't have to choose.

Yeah, it's amazing/depressing to see various Western governments going "Hmmm...how do we encourage another baby boom? The last one happened when there was guaranteed employment, good job security, generous wages, an average family could readily afford a modest home, public services were being made increasingly affordable and open for all and people were generally feeling optimistic about the future and confident that any children would have a better life than their parents in a country of reducing inequality and increasing opportunity...:thunk:..we'd better do the opposite of all those things and instead try and roll back feminism, give women some tax breaks and hint at saying the Fourteen Words...:godwinning:"