Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Escobarbarian posted:

My unit shipped!!! And the UK bit isn’t being handled by Evri!!!! Excellent!!!!!

Do you say that because you have a ParcelForce reference? I had that too but it still ended up with Evri when it hit the UK (thankfully with no delivery issues).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
My backlog of unplayed games is becoming much more approachable on the deck than they felt on the computer.
System suspend in particular was crucial for getting through DOOM (2016), which I just finished yesterday... just in time for the OS update which makes RDR2 playable again :D

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh yeah that was my thinking. We will see!!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mine said it was with parcelforce until it actually hit the UK, and ended up with Evri.

Luckily this was one of the 50% of my parcels they actually delivered.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My Fedex estimate switched to "pending" on Sunday with no more delivery estimate, which is a new one for me. I'm not worried about it disappearing like my UK friends, just real goddamn eager now that I finally pulled the trigger on buying one in the first place.

I bought Metal Gear Rising and Hades in anticipation and can't wait to play, although MGR is likely too big for the internet service on the farm. Housesitting for another week here, any suggestions for small downloads that are great Deck games?

I was already thinking Streets of Rogue and Slay the Spire. And Stardew! And Factory Town, and

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 10, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Valve said 1-2 weeks for the deck dock but heck, I ordered the dock the day it was available and Fedex is telling me it's arriving tomorrow.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

don't believe their lies

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah mine has already gone to packaged items, no demand for loser dock etc.

E: More fun modding stuff, I didn't know people were making custom themes for SteamOS and I'm very fond of the old puke green Steam theme. Blowing out the screen's colours less so, that feels very "Nintendo hire this man" Unreal engine demo with shitloads of bloom to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQhvNiI3hKI

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 10, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was going to look into some phone game emulation specifically for a couple android and apple games more for the hell of it and it seems possible but like a huge pain in the rear end

So that should be fun to make work lol

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I was going to buy the dock but I just went through a few quick steps to set up the steam link app on my TV and with that and an Xbox controller I have full TV support with minimal latency (at least within reason for my eyes/hands), so I essentially have no need for the dock, at least for now. Saves me a few bucks and I instantly have the steam deck on my TV! God I love this thing. After some recent problems with tech purchases (my original PS5 was a lemon, for example) it's so refreshing to have gotten one that just works so well with just about everything I throw at it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I dug out my USB-C to HDMI cable to test the Deck's docking ability pre-getting dock and it worked perfectly. Though I wish my 8bitdo controller had a way to bring up the quick settings menu.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Settled into a nice routine of playing halo:ce and disco elysium on the deck. Neither make the fan run for sniffing much and I get a good 4ish hours of battery.
Not buying any more games until I start completing things (lol). Even if there is a good humble bundle or discount on something on my wishlist.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I want the shortest possible custom boot animation to get me into the menu faster.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 10, 2022

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Conversely, has anybody tried setting Morbius.50M.webm as their boot video?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

so the jsaux dock is good or not? this comment on amazon is confusing me, what's it mean "Assuming this is taking the hdmi out from the dock to a usbc screen then it should work fine. If you are trying to convert the usbc cable on the dock to hdmi then no I would not suggest it. As the usbc Cable is feeding power through it as well."

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

sigher posted:

I've owned a lot of VR headsets, and I have an Index, none of them have the visual clarity or vivid colors of the Nreal Airs and I would definitely use them over any VR headset for a "large screen" experience in your pocket.

Yeah I decided to try and sell my Meta Quest on Nextdoor and use the money for a Steam Deck and Airs with what I already have saved.

Im excited about those glasses!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mescal posted:

so the jsaux dock is good or not? this comment on amazon is confusing me, what's it mean "Assuming this is taking the hdmi out from the dock to a usbc screen then it should work fine. If you are trying to convert the usbc cable on the dock to hdmi then no I would not suggest it. As the usbc Cable is feeding power through it as well."

It’s good. They’re saying not to use the USB-C port on the dock with a USB-C to HDMI adapter because that’s the only port the dock can receive power through.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s good. They’re saying not to use the USB-C port on the dock with a USB-C to HDMI adapter because that’s the only port the dock can receive power through.

so the issue is that the dock has only one USBC port, which is used for power in? is that a problem? neither they nor valve included multiple USBC ports.

I'm looking at the specs and stuff, idk why, i know i'd rather spend $40 than $100 so i'm probably just gonna get the jsaux.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

neither of the docks do video out over USB-C, which doesn’t really matter if you have a HDMI and display port output

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah they all use their USB-C connection to the deck to passthrough video to the HDMI port on the dock.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's better to have a hub with DisplayPort out than USB C out for display since most monitors don't have USB C in for display and you'll land up handing to spend $10-20 on a USB C to DisplayPort adapter instead.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The Valve dock is powered. The other is not. What difference does that make? Thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mayveena posted:

The Valve dock is powered. The other is not. What difference does that make? Thanks.

They're both powered, they have a USB-C PD passthrough. The Valve dock just comes with a power supply of its own so you don't need to get another one or move wherever your Deck charger is.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

njsykora posted:

They're both powered, they have a USB-C PD passthrough. The Valve dock just comes with a power supply of its own so you don't need to get another one or move wherever your Deck charger is.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I'll stay with the Valve one.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

If I got the deckdock, would it mean I can use the deck as a mini second screen for my desktop, for controlling Spotify or whatever without alt-tabbing out of what I'm doing?

Also, are there any flight sims that work well on the deck? I mean lightweight or arcadey ones obviously, not full clickable cockpits and high fidelity flight models.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pipski posted:

If I got the deckdock, would it mean I can use the deck as a mini second screen for my desktop, for controlling Spotify or whatever without alt-tabbing out of what I'm doing?

Also, are there any flight sims that work well on the deck? I mean lightweight or arcadey ones obviously, not full clickable cockpits and high fidelity flight models.

You can control Spotify from anything that runs Spotify in the exact way you’re trying to do here so why not just use the phone app or something?

You just tell the app which logged in device you actually want to play the music on and then control it from whatever.

The dock doesn’t make it into a second display, it makes it into a little desktop pc all on its own.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Pipski posted:

There's Tiny Combat Arena from the new Microprose, which is at least Gold-rated on protonDB for linux gaming, but there's surprisingly little Deck-specific info.

I'd be curious if anyone took a crack at it how it runs.

EDIT: Ace Combat 7 is Deck-verified! And seems to run REAL well.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 10, 2022

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can control Spotify from anything that runs Spotify in the exact way you’re trying to do here so why not just use the phone app or something?

The dock doesn’t make it into a second display, it makes it into a little desktop pc all on its own.

Yeah, I know, that's what I do now. I just want an at-a-glance thing for viewing desktop notifications or track titles or whatever. Doesn't sound like the dock is the answer though.

Squiggle posted:

There's Tiny Combat Arena from the new Microprose, which is at least Gold-rated on protonDB for linux gaming, but there's surprisingly little Deck-specific info.

I'd be curious if anyone took a crack at it how it runs.

EDIT: Ace Combat 7 is Deck-verified! And seems to run REAL well.

I was considering TCA or Project Wingman, but also couldn't find much info. I'll look at AC7 though, that seems like it's worth a shot. Ta!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of the first things I tried with my Steam Deck was running a game on my PC and having it stream to my Deck. My PC is connected with an ethernet cable to an Xfinity fiber optic cable modem with wifi. The performance was flawless. Never had any measurable input lag, or drop in quality. The game I played did not look any different from just running it natively on the Deck. This bolds extremely well as games require more powerful hardware, it means that as long as you have a gaming PC, your Deck reminds relevant as a device that will let you play those games at least anywhere within your own home.

Home network game streaming to other devices hasn't really been that good. Even Xbox, and PlayStation, which have allowed this for years at this point, has a lot of performance and reliability issues with it. Steam Deck from what I can tell so far fixes all of these problems.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Pipski posted:

I was considering TCA or Project Wingman, but also couldn't find much info. I'll look at AC7 though, that seems like it's worth a shot. Ta!

Project Wingman is an AWESOME game, and it apparently runs very well on the Deck, but the fonts are really small. The devs said earlier in the year that they kind of have to redo the whole UI but are working on it for Deck-verification, or if you've got good eyes it might still be worth giving it a shot.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Project Wingman is an AWESOME game, and it apparently runs very well on the Deck, but the fonts are really small. The devs said earlier in the year that they kind of have to redo the whole UI but are working on it for Deck-verification, or if you've got good eyes it might still be worth giving it a shot.

Ah thanks. I have shoddy eyes, so maybe I'll wait for the rework. Thanks for the knowledge.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mescal posted:

so the issue is that the dock has only one USBC port, which is used for power in? is that a problem? neither they nor valve included multiple USBC ports.

I'm looking at the specs and stuff, idk why, i know i'd rather spend $40 than $100 so i'm probably just gonna get the jsaux.

Potential dock decision-making process:

Do you care about FreeSync? Multi-monitor support using HDMI + DP? An extra 45w USB C charger that you don't have to constantly move around? Get the $80 Official Steam Dock.
Are you using your dock for only one monitor or TV? No FreeSync? Don't care about the extra 45w charger? Get the $50 Jsaux.

I have both - my Jsaux dock is going in the living room, where my TV doesn't support FreeSync, and the Steam Dock is going in my office where I have multiple monitors and a 1440p/144hz FreeSync display.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

Potential dock decision-making process:

Do you care about FreeSync? Multi-monitor support using HDMI + DP? An extra 45w USB C charger that you don't have to constantly move around? Get the $80 Official Steam Dock.
Are you using your dock for only one monitor or TV? No FreeSync? Don't care about the extra 45w charger? Get the $50 Jsaux.

I have both - my Jsaux dock is going in the living room, where my TV doesn't support FreeSync, and the Steam Dock is going in my office where I have multiple monitors and a 1440p/144hz FreeSync display.

i'm gonna pick up whatever decent TV i can from a fleeing student at next semester's end, so I guess i don't know whether i can benefit from freesync. it would be nice if what i had was flexible and future-proof but i'll probably just get whatever's cheapest because i don't have any money. the deck wasn't a luxury gizmo purchase for me, it was money saving. cheaper than a PC and there's not much room for a second computer desk here. i'm typing this on an ancient handmedown laptop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1579540724101832704

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Escobarbarian posted:

My unit shipped!!! And the UK bit isn’t being handled by Evri!!!! Excellent!!!!!

When did you place an order?

I ordered on Saturday. The order page had been bumped back to 2-4 weeks when I placed my order, but Steam is telling me both my Deck and Dock are at the “Packaged Items” stage, which sounds positive, right?

Mixed feelings on Evri. Normally want to stay clear but they’ve just built an absolutely humongous centre about 5 minutes up the road from my house. Surely that’s too close for them to screw anything up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Windows 10 probably the more stable option on Deck?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Valve updated my ticket on Friday after I bleated at them to say they were actually going to investigate with Evri, who've now had my deck as 'delayed' for 12 days.

It's pretty clear Evri are never going to send it, so I guess I just have to wait for a refund or whatever.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Deck is just a little too wide to use comfortably on a domestic flight.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

hot drat, it's coming wednesday! it says label created on the 7th but they didn't email until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nintendo 49ers posted:

When did you place an order?

I ordered on Saturday. The order page had been bumped back to 2-4 weeks when I placed my order, but Steam is telling me both my Deck and Dock are at the “Packaged Items” stage, which sounds positive, right?

Mixed feelings on Evri. Normally want to stay clear but they’ve just built an absolutely humongous centre about 5 minutes up the road from my house. Surely that’s too close for them to screw anything up.

They will never service your area with that hub because that would be too sensible.

My buddy can see his local Evri hub from his house and all his parcels still come from one miles and miles away, when they arrive at all.