Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr_Strangelove posted:

What is going on with that person on the left :raise:

the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

What is going on with that person on the left :raise:

She was great in No Country for Old Men.
https://youtu.be/nh1FjMDKMNw

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I have this bitching jacket I’m gonna wear this weekend. Idgaf how windy it is, wind don’t stand a chance

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA's SB Nation site has slowly dwindled to nothing over the years because the mods keep letting one or two assholes just dominate the comment sections with fire-everyone takes. (One of whom was a Grantham superfan, which, lol.)

The Penn State one is pretty good because, while you do have a few knuckleheads, you have a good core group of people who can readily muse about topics like "bears are brown, so the Charmin bears should be too" and "do you think the people that leave their car at the pump while they go inside are the same people who just leave shopping carts wherever?"

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1579476474675204096?s=20&t=oYkXVSzV5NGQRwiprOUPjQ

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech looked competitive against a top 10 team in Stillwater right up until the point that I turned the game on. Everything fell apart after that.

Alas. I'm pretty pumped about the coaching staff, I think they're the real deal, and with the HC's focus on recruiting, think they'll return us to the glory days of 8-9 wins and a bowl starting next season.

At 3-3, they're ahead of pace (most folks had them 2-4 or 1-5 at this point), and with 4 home games against WVU, Baylor, Kansas, and OU, have a good shot of finding 3 more wins with the rest of the schedule.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'd like to hear more about this before making a judgement on this guy tbh.

quote:

The man told police that he opened an unlocked door, realized he was in the wrong apartment and apologized to the residents. After leaving the apartment, a man followed him and became aggressive, according to the victim.

The arrest report noted that the victim "apologized again and told the male, 'He didn't have to be a [expletive] about it.' As he was walking away, he heard footsteps behind him. He turned around at the top of the stairs approximately 30 feet from the door and was punched in the face. He fell backwards down the stairs and lost consciousness."

uhhhhh your drunk rear end walks into my apartment, and you're talking poo poo to me when I confront you about it? lmao at this guy, he deserved what he got

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

We’re back baby

How many Fulmer Cup points is that?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Maybe, but you still can’t assault people that are walking away from you

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Matt Rhule has entered the chat

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Demon Of The Fall posted:

uhhhhh your drunk rear end walks into my apartment, and you're talking poo poo to me when I confront you about it? lmao at this guy, he deserved what he got

Yeah man that dude totally deserved getting sucker punched down some stairs!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soul Glo posted:

Maybe, but you still can’t assault people that are walking away from you

like I said, I'd like to hear more about what happened. according to a lot of people, this seems very out of character for this McCullough kid.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
If you live in a college town, or in a complex anywhere really, lock your doors, even if you’re hosting a small gathering.

I shared a house in the middle of Murfreesboro not far from campus and the bars on the square and MULTIPLE times drunk idiots wandered through our front door while we were drinking and watching tv, thinking we were their friends’ place.

It is very unnerving, and can lead to some gnarly interactions.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Democratic Pirate posted:

Yeah man that dude totally deserved getting sucker punched down some stairs!

ah yes lets believe immediately the cops version of events, surely this has never gone wrong

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm a Georgia fan that barely posted back in the day and barely posts here now! Yet I have a UGA avatar....

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

shyduck posted:

Matt Rhule has entered the chat

He's gonna get a pay raise from some dumb boosters

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Drunk guy who got sucker punched down a flight of stairs was a Bama plant :tinfoil:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

D.N. Nation posted:

Brian Ferentz is the human embodiment of so many things I hate about football

- Daddy's boy who's literally never had a job he had to earn on his own
- Lump-headed, retrograde playcalling
- Dipshit trick plays when he thinks he's clever than you
- Tosses his QB to the media and refuses to hold postgame pressers
- Zero accountability
- Reportedly a racist
- Stupid derpy chubby fratbro face

- Lived in Section 8 housing as a football player when his dad was the highest paid employee of the state of Iowa

Anyway, I'll post the whole article here because it's a fantastic read about the final play of Aggies/Bama. Basically, the Tide CB read Jimbo's lips and knew exactly where the ball was going.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/10/how-lipreading-alabama-cb-saved-tide-on-final-play-to-beat-texas-am.html

quote:

This was one of those backyard football moments. One snap … the last play before going in for dinner.

Winner takes all.

No do overs.

That’s where Terrion Arnold found himself at exactly 10:30 Saturday night, up 24-20, three seconds on the clock with Texas A&M at the 2-yard line. The Alabama cornerback sensed the stakes.

And he knew it was coming his way.

Looking to the Aggie sideline, Arnold later said he locked in on A&M coach Jimbo Fisher.

“He’s going ‘Evan, Evan, Evan,’” Arnold recalled.

Of course, Evan Stewart was his assignment in the pass/fail moment at the center of the college football universe. A five-star member of Texas A&M’s much-discussed top-ranked 2022 signing class, Stewart lived up to the billing in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Moments earlier his 23-yard catch helped set up this doomsday scenario as the 24-point underdog found itself on the cusp of a second-annual Crimson Tide stunner.

The gravity of the moment wasn’t lost on Arnold, a redshirt freshman who beat a former five-star recruit for his starting job. He had a crucial role on a night ripe for one final Alabama meltdown, intercepting a second-quarter pass to set up what became a critical field goal.

Still, there was almost a feeling of mounting dread as compounding mistakes, four turnovers and a return of kicking woes had the top-ranked team about to spin off into a ditch.

With an injured Bryce Young a spectator on a night of missed opportunities, Alabama was one play from the final collapse.

Arnold knew it.

“If they throw it my way, I don’t want to be the most hated man at Alabama,” Arnold said after noting moments like these were why he picked Alabama.

Across the field and a few moments earlier, Nick Saban called a timeout when they saw the Texas A&M final snap formation. It looked a lot like something they’d seen before.

“When they scored a touchdown earlier, we were playing them inside out and trapping the flat thinking they would run some kind of pick,” Saban said, “So as soon as they put four wideouts in the game, we thought there would be something similar so we changed the leverage on the guys.”

This was essentially a two-point conversion for the game so Saban said that’s how they were going to approach it. Diagraming the play as part of his weekly TV show, Saban spotlighted Arnold’s coverage. He was alone on the short side of the field with Stewart, the hottest Aggie receiver of the night. The plan was for Arnold to use his leverage to push Stewart outside because he had inside help from linebacker Henry To’o To’o and safety DeMarcco Hellams.

Up front, Will Anderson got to know Haynes King well all night. The outside linebacker had just recorded his eighth quarterback hurry of an exhausting night when the Aggies lined up for that winner-take-all snap.

“What happened on that last play?” Anderson responded when asked about his memory of that fever dream of a game. “I was just locked in, doing my job. Whatever Coach Pete (Golding) called, we tried to execute that so we could win the game.”

On his island, Arnold needed a short memory. He could’ve ended this game a few moments earlier as the final Aggie drive began. Alabama punted it back after a three-and-out, giving the visitors 1:50 on the clock and 71 yards to travel.

The aforementioned 23-yard throw to Stewart was something of a magic trick at Arnold’s expense. With King about to get hit low, he launched one deep.

“I saw Haynes throw it and in my head I’m like ‘Wow, he just threw this,’” Arnold recalled. “I didn’t really time my jump up well and you saw what happened.”

The pass somehow slipped between his outstretched hands and straight into Stewart’s at the Alabama 37. They were officially in business as the worst-case scenario felt increasingly imminent.

On the sideline, Jalen Milroe wasn’t worried. The backup quarterback who stood in for Young played a classic hot and cold night complete with three turnovers and three touchdowns. It was out of his hands when Texas A&M lined up for one final play.

“I was calm,” Milroe said. “It falls back to our training in that situation. We practice rep after rep. I was happy because I knew exactly how it was going to go down.”

Still, this was the same Texas A&M team Alabama overlooked a year ago. Just like 2021, a preseason-No. 6 Aggie team limped into Alabama weekend with two losses. Were they really about to pull the same rope-a-dope?

Saban all week warned of a letdown and here it was, two yards, three seconds and a redshirt cornerback away from the final insult.

Oct. 8 had been circled on every calendar since the mid-May mudslinging so it doesn’t feel overly dramatic to build the moment against a John Williams movie score.

And for all the buildup, the final sequence was over almost as soon as it began.

Arnold forced Stewart outside off the snap. King, if Arnold’s lipreading was correct, followed orders and locked in on Stewart who broke into the end zone only to plant and break back to the front pylon.

The throw never crossed the plane of the goal line.

Game over.

Alabama survived by the thinnest of margins with the right play call and execution of the plan.

“It was a great route,” Arnold said, “and I was in perfect position and able to make a play.”

Saban, on a night drenched in imperfection, saw it all come together when they stood at the crossroad.

“Terrion made a good play,” he said, “and we had the guys covered on the other side pretty well too.”

The wild on-field celebration ensued as Saban golf clapped his way to the midfield handshake with Fisher.

Alabama 24, Texas A&M 20 was more of a collective exhale than anything.

And while the Crimson Tide lived on the edge at Texas and Arkansas, nothing came as close to failure as Saturday night in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

But when called home to eat at 10:30 Saturday night, the party certainly beat the alternative for the redshirt freshman who read Jimbo Fisher’s lips.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

LLCoolJD posted:

Drunk guy who got sucker punched down a flight of stairs was a Bama plant :tinfoil:

sure, why not. he couldn't remember what apartment or building he was in, but definitely remembers apologizing after walking into someone else's apartment lol :cmon:

hopefully this turns out to be nothing

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

wa27 posted:

Shocked to see Nebraska with a 26 year active streak on here. I legitimately thought we had lost any sort of streak we had left in the Riley and Frost years. Also funny that the last one was during a good period for the program.
Scott Frost is the reason that streak isn't longer. He was the QB when Nebraska went to Arizona State in 1996 and lost 0-19. Nebraska beat ASU the year before 28-77. The Huskers had won the National Championship by firebombing Florida in the Fiesta Bowl at the end of that 1995 season. I went to both of those games. One was fun, one wasn't. An ASU fan told my 12-year-old brother to go gently caress himself completely unprovoked on the way out of the stadium.

quote:

The game was a source of a minor controversy as Sun Devils coach Bruce Snyder accused Nebraska coach Tom Osborne of running up the score after third-string Husker quarterback Matt Turman threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to wide-open reserve receiver Lance Brown in the game's final moments.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I somehow moved to the only place in the Deep South where no one gives a poo poo about FBS teams (Savannah).

I’ve lurked on TFF and SAS since like 2008 or 2009. Just never had much of a reason to post because WVU has been boring/bad and Andichu had it covered when we were interesting, if not good.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Tech looked competitive against a top 10 team in Stillwater right up until the point that I turned the game on. Everything fell apart after that.

Alas. I'm pretty pumped about the coaching staff, I think they're the real deal, and with the HC's focus on recruiting, think they'll return us to the glory days of 8-9 wins and a bowl starting next season.

At 3-3, they're ahead of pace (most folks had them 2-4 or 1-5 at this point), and with 4 home games against WVU, Baylor, Kansas, and OU, have a good shot of finding 3 more wins with the rest of the schedule.

Right!? I was the score and realized the game was already on (at my inlaw's) tuned in right when our 1 game went to 8 and hung there for bit.

Edit: Most of my friends are either not-caring about sports at all or are all in on NFL. So, yea here I am!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Prowler posted:

I'm a Georgia fan that barely posted back in the day and barely posts here now! Yet I have a UGA avatar....

Same. Also I use to have a Lane Kiffin avatar when he was at Tennessee. I got rid of that fast when he went to USC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I somehow moved to the only place in the Deep South where no one gives a poo poo about FBS teams (Savannah).

I’ve lurked on TFF and SAS since like 2008 or 2009. Just never had much of a reason to post because WVU has been boring/bad and Andichu had it covered when we were interesting, if not good.

Just post

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GO Vols GO. Time to hand Bama a loss on Rocky Top for the first time in EVER since I've been a fan of them. So happy for Hendon out there killing it.

Smoky Grey unis looked good on TV against LSU in all white.

drat Hokies, its bad. Nice to score close to 30, but ooof, the defense is not good, the offense is not talented. Pry needs time, this thing is a mess on a lot of levels.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
Assuming USC can win @Utah this week, its likely that the P12 will have 3 top-10 teams going into the next week, with Oregon and UCLA at #9 and #10. Just Crazy. And if this all leads to undefeated USC versus undefeated UCLA in November, Kevin Warren's ego might just explode.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I have this bitching jacket I’m gonna wear this weekend. Idgaf how windy it is, wind don’t stand a chance

That wind is going to be broken af.

Tad SG fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 10, 2022

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Joey Freshwater posted:

this loving rules

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

ah yes lets believe immediately the cops version of events, surely this has never gone wrong

You're going by the cops version of events and think he deserves to get knocked down some stairs. There doesn't even need to be a confrontation you're just weirdly aggro.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Break that wind, friend

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
Guys, I do believe that Tennessee is going to open up the drat playbook on Bama Saturday. The noise is going to make 2015 OU and even the recent Florida game look like whimpers.

Oh and a felony assault case mid season, the Fulmer years are upon us again. Honestly though, I hope McCollough can play on Saturday. I think Heupel is addressing the press this hour.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

At least Savannah is a fine city.

What are the WVU folks' views on Neal Brown?

Dango Bango posted:

I can already hear the swishing this jacket makes. Hell yeah.

If he isn't power walking into Neyland he's not doing it right.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 10, 2022

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I don’t know why it would really matter if a DB in 1-on-1 man coverage on the last play thought he had inside info that the ball was coming to his receiver. Wouldn’t he be assuming that anyway? Was he not gonna cover his guy thinking there were other receivers out there and odds are it would be someone else?

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I don’t know why it would really matter if a DB in 1-on-1 man coverage on the last play thought he had inside info that the ball was coming to his receiver. Wouldn’t he be assuming that anyway? Was he not gonna cover his guy thinking there were other receivers out there and odds are it would be someone else?

Yeah, that amused me too - especially in a goal line situation - I'd think he'd have no other responsibility in a play like that.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
How far away was Jimbo and how good is the DBs eyesight that he can read his lips from that distance?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Much more significant, it would seem to me, is that Jimbo Fisher is telling his QB who to throw to before the play.

Shouldn't your QB be doing reads? Especially on a play like this?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Let's not spoil the Alabama underdog hero story by asking too many questions.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

The Notorious ZSB posted:

drat Hokies, its bad. Nice to score close to 30, but ooof, the defense is not good, the offense is not talented. Pry needs time, this thing is a mess on a lot of levels.

Well when last year's 2nd string QB is this years 2nd string receiver...

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

LLCoolJD posted:

At least Savannah is a fine city.

What are the WVU folks' views on Neal Brown?

If he isn't power walking into Neyland he's not doing it right.

Brown got stuck in a really bad spot from the jump. The WVU fanbase is incredibly insecure about how good or bad the job is, how good or bad the team can actually be, etc; Dana leaving for a perceived lower value job immediately got everyone riled up and scared.

I know that most of the fanbase doesn't like him all that much personally. He's very much a 'If you don't recognize me I just look like a guy who lives in town' sort of person vs. the bombastic nature of both Dana and RichRod.

Beating VT wins him a lot of good will this year and so does finally having a decent/good QB but his defense falling apart and losing to Pitt probably start to put him on the hotseat. WVU boosters are generally pretty patient and not very wealthy (relatively) so if he gets ousted I imagine it's either late next year or over next offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dango Bango posted:

Need the pants for max effect